mtbr member
    Dec 2007

eThriteen bottom bracket issue on Salsa Beargrease

So I have the stock build of the Salsa Beargrease and love it overall.

After 2 months of 'normal' winter riding the friction in the bottom bracket is beyond brutal so it appears the new wiper/seals or whatever changes eThirteen made to their BB cups didn't take. I've had cheap shimano deore external BB's that last several hard winters with zero maintenance on my winter MTB beater so not impressed with this at all.

1.) What's my best bet in terms of replacing the stock eThirteen BB with something aftermarket that works? I don't really care about price I just want something that lasts with minimal maintenance ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The big change they made in the bottom bracket was switching to angular contact bearings. Because of that, you can't really replace just the bearings- it's difficult to get the outer bearing race out of the cup without destroying the cup in the process.

Off the top of my head, I don't know any other manufacturers who make external BB cups for the 30mm spindle- but they may be out there.

I would start by taking it apart and inspecting the bearings- but maybe you've already done that.

mtbr member
    I'm a new fatbike owner with a BG and I've started to notice black gunk on the ground under the BB when I rinse off the bike after a ride. It is not normal road/snow buildup as it's pretty much pitch black. I am worried that I am getting water/road salt into the BB in some way.

I have less than 100km on the bike (due to health reasons) and I thought it was odd for a new bike to be bleeding out. Unless for some reason I road through motor oil or something on my last ride.

mtbr member
    I bought a blind hole bearing puller set and some Phil Wood bearings (see link) when I had to replace the original E-13 BB bearings in my 2012 Mukluk 2. I'm very happy with the PW bearings.
    Sounds like the 2013 BB might be different??
    Phil Wood Bearing PWX86 (Generic ID - 6806): Phil Wood Parts AVT - Aspire VeloTech - Chris King World's Largest Dealer
    Last edited by vmaxx4; 02-02-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member

This is what I used after my e.13 BB **** the bed. This upgrade was worth every penny! Zip makes a external BB30 tool for installation or buy the Enduro tool, I went with the Enduro tool. Link below would be a good place to start, not the cheapest but the best to improve what you already have.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id343.html
    Last edited by woody_8_5; 02-01-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Ride Muskoka
    OK my crank on my Beargrease is creaking like a crazy bike. I have just over 100km and it's creaking and the drive side crank arm touches my frame enough to leave a mark when climbing. I thought maybe it came with the spacers wrong but looked it up on line and its the same as the company says to install it. I took it apart and cleaned and re-greased the BB and crank and its still doing it. Anyone else have this issue!

Karma Vampire

As good as any topic to link to this update from RWC:
    e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives

Go to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can you take it back? I ask b/c I had the same issue...and the shop contacted E13 about it. E13 sent a brand new upgraded BB. Don't know if this one will work...but, in the meantime, it was free.

EDIT: Oops...didn't realize how old the thread was.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Angular Contact Bearings
    Properly pre-loading them with a bunch of factory provided shims, and a chart saying put this many on each side ... NOT
    Well, no more cool than shimming a standard bearing ... The stuff really should be measured.
    Even if few to none are doing it that way.