Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Escalator Review

~100 miles with a good mix of conditions - snow, frozen chunky snow and dirt.
    Terrain - single-track, snow machine packed trails (not groomed)
    Mounted on 100 mm rims

Love the width and lay of the knobs. Great traction with no great feel in resistance. Has good turning characteristics and doesn't feel like its pulling. The rubber feels really, really, nice and grippy being a 50 durometer rubber at a 180 tpi.

BTW, these have just become available and we have'em comin...

Enjoy the ride,
    JayP
    Fitzgeralds Bicycles

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Very cool! Did you happen to weigh them pre mounting? Also just took delivery of my Beargrease. Rides so sweet! Happy to be here.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    LBS weighed 2 tires, the lighter of the two came in at 1280g, not sure what the other one weighed in at. Much higher than I expected.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Mmmmm......me too! One site I was on said "approx 1100gr" so that's a ways off that mark. Be interested to hear what others chime in with. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    A few more were measured at the LBS, lightest of them being just over 1200g. Sounded like there may have been some challenges getting them to the 1100g which caused the weight to increase. If I was a betting man I would guess these will range between 1200-1300g.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeM View Post
    A few more were measured at the LBS, lightest of them being just over 1200g. Sounded like there may have been some challenges getting them to the 1100g which caused the weight to increase. If I was a betting man I would guess these will range between 1200-1300g.
    So they don't have the studs, but weight about the same as the tires that do (my Dillingers weigh 1260 each)? Something is wrong.

mtbr member
    glad i kept my 1200 gm Hu Du's

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    locally here the shop weighed 6 with an average of 1290.... screw that!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeM View Post

I just picked out your post because it seems that this is on the right track. On Facebook there was quite a to-do regarding the weight thing, and 45NRTH responded saying that the publicized weight was taken from pre-production samples. Then after testing they realized that the 180TPI casings were too fragile and guys testing were getting punctures too often. So 45NRTH had a layer of rubber added to increase the durability of the Escalator, and obviously this increased the weight.

Unfortunately, 45NRTH never retracted the original claim of weight, and so the end users are getting a bit of a surprise without any explanation, (until this Facebook encounter earlier today proffered up the story I am repeating here).

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Makes sense...something had to be screwy. Glad to hear the real weight tho cause it was tempting! Thanks for sharing. Not gonna happen for me.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    it's also possible that they just showed up from Asia at that weight and the durability is cover story...

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent View Post
    locally here the shop weighed 6 with an average of 1290.... screw that!
    Balls! Feels like a bait and switch. I knew I should have held out for the ultralight Larry... I wonder if my LBS can cancel my order?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Harrumph
    I was planning on using these but talked myself out of them, at least until they were out in the wild. A lighter HD would be sweet, but the new kevlar 120tpi Larry I recently picked up actually weighs more than my first run Larry. So I diverted the funds laundered from my family to other things thinking these would fall short. I'm glad I spent the cash elsewhere, but disappointed the escalators might be too good to be true.

How are they wearing? I wondered if the 180 casing and minimal(relative) tred (with holes for studs no less) would hold up. If they were appreciably lighter it might have been worth it....
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

viva la v-brakes!
    I guess I got the lightest of the batch at 1271g and 1204 g. Still would add 1/2lbs+ to the bike weight over my planned build. My shop is going to let me return them so that is good.

The tread is also a lot taller and more aggressive looking in real life than in photos on the web. Not what I want for a snow racer, but I think this is the best tread pattern I have seen thus far for snow riding if you aren't concerned about rolling resistance or weight. The Dillengers then would be the ultimate winter tire.

viva la v-brakes!
    Forgot the photo!Escalator Review-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354305769.099434.jpg

Also, does anyone know when the Ultralight Larry's will be available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Balls! Feels like a bait and switch. I knew I should have held out for the ultralight Larry... I wonder if my LBS can cancel my order?
    Who cares about grip anyway...

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Who cares about grip anyway...
    A lot of people. Did you not read my later comments?

Not what I want for a snow racer, but I think this is the best tread pattern I have seen thus far for snow riding if you aren't concerned about rolling resistance or weight. The Dillengers then would be the ultimate winter tire.

Nuts
    but I think this is the best tread pattern I have seen thus far for snow riding if you aren't concerned about rolling resistance or weight. The Dillengers then would be the ultimate winter tire.
    Have you not seen the Bud and Lou?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Have you not seen the Bud and Lou?
    costello??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't know that size of knobs/tire weight is the ticket for snow... it seems to work "interestingly". For example, nothing in 29" was better than racing ralphs, at least not in the races I did.

Harrumph
    I was able to check some out in the flesh earlier, the knobs are pretty burly. I think they are more like a light Nate than a light HD
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    feels like a thread jack. Lets here from people how own and have ridden the Escalator.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    feels like a thread jack. Lets here from people how own and have ridden the Escalator.

are you saying that the weight of a tire that is primarily marketed as the "weight weenie" fatbike tire isn't worth discussing?

Caveman
    JayP - hard packed single track climbs (not at "float" psi) Which do you think is better Husker Du or Escalator? My rear Larry is not cutting it anymore given our lack of snow and going Nate looks to be overkill for 95% of the time. I could care less about weight and have not paid attention to any buzz.

mtbr member
    A lot of people. Did you not read my later comments?
    Yea, you are waiting for the ultra larrys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast