mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Engineering minds dump info here

Ok so you take a single speed bike, install a nexus or alfine with coaster or hub brake setup, drill and tap the frame so you can use the alfine tensioner(which is basically the bottom of a rear derailluer) when you pedal backwards the brake will engage, however any more pressure backwards would stretch the cage forward. Would or wouldn't you also have an issue as you brake of pulsing where the backwards pressure needed to apply the coaster would release into the tensioner?
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think the tensioner is going to be torn off the bike. At least that is what happened when the freehub locked up and became a fixed gear when my Monocog was set up as a 9 speed.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Your single speed bike lacks both adjustable dropout length and a derailleur hanger?

Weird...

Instead of messing with the frame, you could:

- Install a Yess ETR-B (as in Boy, not to be confused with the ETR-V)
    - Use a Problem Solvers universal derailleur hanger

I'd get the chainring / cog combo to be as close as magic gear as is reasonable, and use one of the above.

Although - I don't know about the safety involved in reversing of chain tension with the pulled chain being on the sprung side, as warned by c_m_shooter above (hope you were okay dude). I'm *just* thinking about how to take up chain on your odd sounding frame (no offense intended).
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    I used this on my Monocog for about 2 years running it as a 3 speed - not bad for 2 bucks...
    Amazon.com: SunRace Shimano Compatible Index Hanger Plate with Nut and Bolt: Sports & Outdoors
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    There's no way I would use a sprung tensioner on a bike where I had to rely on back pedalling to slow down. Please don't do it unless you only ride really slowly in safe environments, ie not the road or singletrack.

Try to work out a magic ratio, or use an eccentric adaptor for the BB.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How do you tension the chain currently on this single speed bike?
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    This lack of information makes me confused. Whenever I setup a SS drivetrain I don't *****foot! Sliders or horizontal dropouts and a bolt on axle! No EBB's, tensioners, springs, doohickeys, fudging or rigging.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Simplest way in a vertical dropout frame is to use a White Industries ENO eccentric rear hub and the disk adapter.

They work fine so long as your dropout has enough bearing surface for the axle ends.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    It would be great if it worked, OP Thumpy, especially if the tensioner helped to "feather" the coaster brake, and allow adding a front der. It would need a strong spring, and need to be placed where it would allow the chain to straighten completely, so it doesn't get torn off.
    When the chain straightens, at the bottom, there would be slack at the top, requiring another tensioner. Maybe single wheel type like this.Universal Cycles -- Gusset Squire Chain Tensioner ....
    It's a fun and/or frustrating mental exercise, and would be the same to physically try it, but the payoff of keeping the coaster brake might not be worth it. If changing the hub anyway, I'd prefer disc or hub brake.
    Last edited by dudeist; 06-01-2013 at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How are you tensioning the chain now? Or are you running a magic ratio?

I wouldn't drill/tap anything or get a tensioner - just set the chain tension the same way you do now.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.