mtbr member

Endomorph or Black floyd tires

Just purchased a 2013 Necromancer pug with a Larry in the front and a Nate in the back. Looking for another set of tires for pavement/around town riding. Wondering whether to pick up a set of Endomorphs or Black Floyds. Thoughts?

Human Test Subject
    Floyds. They're rad and I wish I would see more of them.

...big and slow
    If the intended purpose is around town riding, I'd go with Black Floyd's. To me, the Endo is about the most worthless fat tire there is. My experience is that they aren't good at anything. Seems to steer the rear of the bike when mounted on the rear and riding on pavement. Not enough traction for mud or climbing duties. Off camber stuff is scary with an Endo as it seems to want to slip due to limited lugs on the sides of the tires. I guess I could go on about my dislike for the Endo, but I suppose I have said enough. I can't speak for their effectiveness in snow as we didn't get any snow this last year when I had an Endo on my Muk. Bottom line for me is if you are looking for a second set of tires for pavement and not looking for a "one tire does it all" solution, the Black Floyd is your best option.
    Chromey

mtbr member
    Floyds are great for pavement and around town!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Floyd's rock around town! Not very aggressive looking but they do the intended job.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I love Endos. I wish Surly would make a big,fat endo with deep chevrons!

mtbr member
    Floyds are awesome on pavement. I run them at 25 psi on daryls and they roll fast and smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Floyds are good, but they steer wierd, like old endos. IMO, just change out the nate on the rear for a floyd & keep the larry up front. This is what I run on my fat cargo bike for around town. Works well. 2 Floyds do roll nice & smooth though......
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Meeeeeeeee tooooooooooooo!
    The endo with the more square profile is the only fat tire that works for me & wide float. Maybe the other alternative is the Lou for the BF version? Seems like it is flatter and meant for "paddling" as they say(rear tire).

If I road my fattie on pavement, I'd totally get a set of Floyds. They look cool!

mtbr member
    I was thinking Big Fat Floyds. Street tires for a Moonlander!

Until then I will continue to enjoy my 3.7 Floyds on pavement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm getting a 2013 Necromancer as well [Saturday!], and I have a set of Black Floyds on their way, I figure they should ride better than, and wear better than something like the Endomorph for road and some trail use [nothing that needs the traction of knobbies, though I think if the knobbies were needed that the Endomorphs wouldn't cut the mustard -from what I've read anyways]
    Though you should be able to pick up a set of Endo's for a bit less than Black Floyds, if you were looking at used/ second hand/ pulled off stock, so you could put the saved money towards a new winter tire like Lou or Bud [or something else].

If you are going to be in the mud or loose sand for a bit, but primarily on dry/ packed trails/ gravel/ roads then maybe Edomorphs would be better, but I'd just go with Black Floyds for an easier time on hard surfaces and then have it suffer a little bit more when it came to the extremes.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    Floyds are good, but they steer wierd, like old endos. IMO, just change out the nate on the rear for a floyd & keep the larry up front. This is what I run on my fat cargo bike for around town. Works well. 2 Floyds do roll nice & smooth though......

I run my Floyd's for urban rides on a 47mm rim in the front and 65mm rim in the back at around 30psi.
    And they are by far the most confortable and fastest of them all.
    Maybe it's because of the high pressure and narrow rim in the front that i have no issues with wierd steering ?

But, you must keep in mind that they are very easy to get punctured by thorns, glass etc...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Maybe it's because of the high pressure and narrow rim in the front that i have no issues with wierd steering ?
    Maybe. I put only 100 miles on my Floyds before deciding I'd rather be on Hookworms on the road because of Floyd's weird steering. I kept them, for when I rebuild an old bike that has 47mm rims, to see if they handle better.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

How much does it weigh?
    This may sound weird... but do the Floyds make the bike handle more like a motorcycle? Always wants to stand up and go straight..?

Or do they pull into the corner more?

At really low pressure on my Larrys, I noticed that I can't ride no hands around corners, because the bike pulls into the corner hard... scared the crap out of me the first time I tried it.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Maybe. I put only 100 miles on my Floyds before deciding I'd rather be on Hookworms on the road because of Floyd's weird steering. I kept them, for when I rebuild an old bike that has 47mm rims, to see if they handle better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    This may sound weird... but do the Floyds make the bike handle more like a motorcycle? Always wants to stand up and go straight..?

Or do they pull into the corner more?

At really low pressure on my Larrys, I noticed that I can't ride no hands around corners, because the bike pulls into the corner hard... scared the crap out of me the first time I tried it.
    @Drew.
    I forgot to mention that i have a Mac SC32 fork that slackens the HT angle a bit.
    But i have tried the Endo's and Floyd's, and can tell the difference is noticable.

@Borgschulze.
    With the Floyd's i can ride and steer on roads and hardpacked dirt without my hands on the bars without any effort.
    The cornering on normal roads is great !

Did I catch a niner?
    I'd get some Endos if you can. I see them for as low as $35 each vs $75 for floyds especially on a tire that could get punctured with glass or God knows what on your roads. I plan to get one for my fat front commuter setup.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

How much does it weigh?
    Weird, I only have issues when I go below 5psi in the front...

mtbr member
    I have also tried a floyd on a 42mm rim & 80mm. It was better on the narrower rim for sure, but still wasn't as good as the larry in respect to steering on concrete.

If it was summer, I would prob have just kept the floyd up front, I'm sure I would have got used to it, but as it will soon be winter, the Larry works better for me in rain etc.
    They are a good tyre! Magic carpet ride
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I like my Floyds.

The handling characteristics change with the tyre pressure, so maybe those having problems should try a psi or two more. Agree that they are nicer on road with narrow rims.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

not FAT free
    i like a lot Endos too as a rear tire
    its not good for all condition but i like it more than larry on a rear
    in some conditions on a steep climbs it had more traction on endo than larry

big fat endo with deep chevrons was my thought too i would buy it quickly
    cheeers

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I can't stand my Endos, they peel out all the time in loose stuff, and even when trying to climb stairs and some of my other urban adventures. they are only good if you have a Batman fetish...

mtbr member
    I was in a very similar situation. My second hand pugs came with Nates, and while I love them off road, on road the are super slow and I don't want to kill them while road/urban riding. I picked up a second hand Larry & Endo for street & light off-road. Since you already have a Nate & Larry, why not pick up another Larry so you can run Larry's as your pavement/light off road duty and pick up another Nate or Hudu for off road duty?

I'm not sure I get Floyds, but sounds like they have a big enough following to be a legit road tire.

mtbr member
    Floyds are great for everything but deep loose stuff or mud. With the right tyre pressure they wrap around most trail stuff, so there's plenty grip.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Chronic Underachiever
    Endos are good all-around snow tires...decent traction for loose stuff and low rolling resistance for hardpack. They're my go-to rear tire.

Gonna ride pavement? Get Floyds.