Thread: Endo tire

B2

Endo tire

So is there any situation that lends itself to ridding an endomrph tire in the rear ? I switched to a nate in the rear/larry ft. I dont know if I should keep my endo for future use.So far I ride mostly snow packed trails, but might ride some desert single track in the future.
    I'm also thinking about putting a Nate up front as well. The only down side to the nate I can see is it seems to roll slow, but it has heaps of traction.
    Thanks
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    - Sand.
    - Worn out Endo for pavement / gravel touring. A poor man's Black Floyd.
    - Uber super ridiculous studded Endo? (This is what I have planned for a pair of Endos I have sitting in my basement)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

B2

used Endo

I had a thought, I know I shouldent be thinking, but...
    What if you took an old endo or two and cut the sidewalls off completly so you had a concave 4" wide rubber strip. Hear me out... You then studded the strip from the back side with some short flat head screws. You then deflate your current good rubber on your rim and wrap the studded piece around the good tire. Add some air and you have temporary removable studds.
    Admitidly heavy and pehaps crazy.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

addicted to chunk
    Yup I agree, I was happy with the performance in sand.

Smooth singletrack was OK, but they don't have near the grip as the HD's.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I used Endos on dirt forest services roads, sandy/rocky desert tracks and for dry conditions MTBing with no issues. If I was going to do a CDN GDR trip again on my Pugs I'd throw my Endos back on.

I've got a set of Endos I won't be throwing out until they are worn out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    With 100 plus inches of snow on the ground the tire of choice in Anchorage seems to be the Endo and I'm one of their followers. That said, some on the competitive side are finding happiness with the du's.

Can't guide you with respect to sand but I think the Endo is the game there too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    SAND! Love Endo's in sand! Especially on the 100's. I like the print they leave too... low impact. The original high floatation bicycle tire! Hope they keep it around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b2b2 View Post
    I had a thought, I know I shouldent be thinking, but...
    What if you took an old endo or two and cut the sidewalls off completly so you had a concave 4" wide rubber strip. Hear me out... You then studded the strip from the back side with some short flat head screws. You then deflate your current good rubber on your rim and wrap the studded piece around the good tire. Add some air and you have temporary removable studds.
    Admitidly heavy and pehaps crazy.
    That's like putting chains on your car tires for the mountains (how many people here have no idea what I'm talking about?).

I for one think that in theory it's a brilliant idea. No idea how it would work, but in theory it's a great idea. Keep thinking, b2b2.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Makes a great fender......

Blog | Surly Bikes

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What direction are you running the Endo in the rear?

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by b2b2 View Post
    So is there any situation that lends itself to ridding an endomrph tire in the rear ? I switched to a nate in the rear/larry ft. I dont know if I should keep my endo for future use.So far I ride mostly snow packed trails, but might ride some desert single track in the future.
    I'm also thinking about putting a Nate up front as well. The only down side to the nate I can see is it seems to roll slow, but it has heaps of traction.
    Thanks
    An endo is good out back if you want to go fast. Nate, not so much. The difference in rolling resistance is huge. Switch back and forth a couple of times this week to see what I mean. I like Nate up front, and I love Nate on soft trails or narrow snowpacked singletrack. It rolls way too slowly on snowmachine trails though as a rear tire. Larry rolls almost as well as the Endo out back though with twice the traction, so maybe you're studded over-tire would be the best use of the Endo you have.

@adelorenzo
    A lot of people have moved on but I'm a big fan of the Endomorph. Endo rear / Larry or BFL front is still a great option for riding on snow, what a lot of people around here are riding.

Best comment I ever heard about the Nate was that riding it all winter would give you "the biggest guns in town" come spring.

Endo is a fast tire and when you're on snow you're not going to get much traction with any tire. If they made a bigger Endomorph I'd be all over it. As it is I run BFL front and rear just for the sheer size.

mtbr member
    Would love a Big Fat Endo.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    A lot of people have moved on but I'm a big fan of the Endomorph. Endo rear / Larry or BFL front is still a great option for riding on snow, what a lot of people around here are riding.

[...]

Endo is a fast tire and when you're on snow you're not going to get much traction with any tire. If they made a bigger Endomorph I'd be all over it. As it is I run BFL front and rear just for the sheer size.
    Pretty much exactly my feeling, and my ride times on snow (for a guy my age and physical condition ) back that feeling up.

FWIW, I run the Endo "backwards" so that the chevrons act as scoops. Seems to improve straight-line traction on snow.

Also, +1 for Big Fat Endomorph

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The endo is fast. I don't see it going anywhere soon.

I wish that Surly would have made an ultralight casing for the endo as well. Making a Nate light didn't make a lot of sense to me but that is not my area of expertise.