Harmonius Wrench

Electronic Di2 Alfine

I know some of us here aren't convinced Alfine 8 and 11 is durable enough for fat bikes, but this news is tantalizing as far as the possibilities are concerned. It'd be cool to see if at some point this technology would become really off-roadable. See the Bike Radar link here....

Shimano Alfine Di2 ? First Pictures - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    I will upgrade my A11 on my fattie, that is for sure

Sup
    I am very Up$et that you $hared that with u$
    I need to $tay off thi$ web $ite it is co$ting me too much ca$h

$j
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @yxan, note that the article mentions Di2 "specific" Alfine hubs.

@GT, I've had great luck running as low as 32/22 and 32/24 gearing to my Alfine 8 for year 'round fatbiking. Most of what I'm seeing is people ruining their hubs due to cross-gearing caused by the "shifting aparatus" on the hub being mis-aligned with the indexing of the shifter (ie cable stretch, neglect, etc.) or by simply being too "rammy" and not giving the hub time to shift (which is how I ruined my 7 spd Nexus after thousands of miles of abuse). At least Di2 solves the cable adjustment issue!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    @yxan, note that the article mentions Di2 "specific" Alfine hubs.

@GT, I've had great luck running as low as 32/22 and 32/24 gearing to my Alfine 8 for year 'round fatbiking. Most of what I'm seeing is people ruining their hubs due to cross-gearing caused by the "shifting aparatus" on the hub being mis-aligned with the indexing of the shifter (ie cable stretch, neglect, etc.) or by simply being too "rammy" and not giving the hub time to shift (which is how I ruined my 7 spd Nexus after thousands of miles of abuse). At least Di2 solves the cable adjustment issue!
    I see that this article mentions a specific hub, but other articles are saying its the same hub, time will tell i guess

Bicycle Obsessed
    i'd love to see this hub in action! i just built up an Alfine 11 and have to admit the one thing that is 'ugly' is the cables, especially the way it runs down the seat stay.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jpettit View Post
    i'd love to see this hub in action! i just built up an Alfine 11 and have to admit the one thing that is 'ugly' is the cables, especially the way it runs down the seat stay.
    Agreed... for the time being, did you know that you can swap sides with the non-turn washers and have the cable actuation guide point up toward the saddle?

Stumbled on this after installing the wheel wrong the other day.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Bicycle Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Agreed... for the time being, did you know that you can swap sides with the non-turn washers and have the cable actuation guide point up toward the saddle?

Stumbled on this after installing the wheel wrong the other day.
    Thanks Drew. I do have it running up the seat stay, but it's not as tidy as it could be. The angle of the guide is not exactly the same as the angle of the seat stay therefore it sort of loops out before running up the stay. Now we just need electric disc brakes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Agreed... for the time being, did you know that you can swap sides with the non-turn washers and have the cable actuation guide point up toward the saddle?...
    There a variety of anti-rotation washers each with different angles. I got one of each set which makes it easy to fine tune the angle of the cable.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice! Combine that with an electronic shifting Patterson transmission up front & you'll have 22 cableless speeds of shifting goodness! Cars are drive by wire! This is where the world is headed! No more throttle cables or steering shafts or shift cables; on cars or bikes. Well, mostly.

mtbr member
    I'd regard in hub indexing as more of an advance than using electrickery to change gear. Just another bit of unfixable technology to go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just saw a commenter on bikerumor.com's article questioned using a generator hub to power the shifting. Seems like an excellent option to me, as long as there's a capacitor or something to hold enough charge to leave stoplight shifting intact. (in case you can't tell, I'm not a fan of electronics, but a battery-less system might actually change my mind in this case)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    With Patterson or similar up front, bye bye derailleurs & cables!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    $himano are evil ba$tard$. That Di2 Alfine 11 might be ju$t about perfect around town if not too expen$ive. Coming next: Di2 fixie$...

Human Test Subject
    Keyboards are cheaper than electronic shifting. Perhaps you should buy one with an S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

DI29er Belted

Check out Cyclepath in Portland, Or. They have a web site and facebook page with images and info on a Ventana DI2 Belt Drive build they did recently. Recent Project: DI29er Alfine Belt-Drive Ventana | Cyclepath
    Last edited by doperide; 01-23-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Update link