mtbr member
    Dec 2007

E-Thirteen dropper review: best post for winter use?

Iíve been running 9.8 styled posts for a few years, Race Face, Easton, and the actual 9.8 brand. Theyíre good posts when itís warm and dry, but they tend to slip when wet and cold weather return is poor.

I looked at a lot of posts, did some test fitting, trying to find a post that minimal insert length, all season performance, reasonable cost, good lever, and internal actuation. I read the reviews on the E-Thirteen, early version had a weak spring, but they seemed to have fixed that issue, ease of rebuild and cost were excellent, so I sprung for one in a 125mm.

First install with a new style post is always a bit long, but overall the install was pretty straightforward , cable end is mounted at the post, then adjusted at the lever, which is is a much better design for install and removal. The lever is simply the best design Iíve seen, two position on the mount, infinite rotation positioning on the lever, grippy lever face, lots of adjustment at the lever, and hidden cable after cutting.

Seat adjustment is standard two bolt slider; 25t star socket is a nice touch, angleometer for precision seat adjustment, functional and solid

Performance is good, four preset positions, solid clunk when it raises and lowers into position, return is faster from all the way down, but return from upper position to full up is good. This is not a jewel buster post like some of the air actuated posts.
    Return sounds more mechanical than hydraulic or air posts. The post is tight up and down, side to side, no wiggle.

No cold weather feedback as itís still warm here, but I suspect itíll function the same warm or cold as steel springs are more resistant to temperature than oil, air, and rubber seals.

For $250, this post is a winner, two thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ben, I've also been interested in this post. Are you using this on the Wozo? Any particular reason you went with 125mm vs 150mm?

mtbr member
    How difficult is it to get it into the mid preset positions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím using it on my Fatillac, went with 125mm because the insertion is limited.

All settings are easy to get into, once you push the lever the seat will move up or down depending on seat pressure; there are only two mid points, so not much to it.

I like it better than Gravity; better lever, better action, internal routing, comparable price, and I believe the E-thirteen is lighter.

For me, a dropper needs three positions: all the way up for climbing and gravel grinding, slightly down for rolling tech with climbing, or slammed on the down. E-thirteen throws in a fourth position of ďslightly upĒ, which might be nice for rolling downs where you want a touch of support.

What surprised me with the E-thirteen is the insertion is shorter than the same length 9.8 by about an inch, so very cool for those of us with a bent or broken seat post tube.

Iíd get a 150mm for my Wozo if the Race Face fails.

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I looked at a lot of posts, did some test fitting, trying to find a post that minimal insert length, all season performance, reasonable cost, good lever, and internal actuation. I read the reviews on the E-Thirteen, early version had a weak spring, but they seemed to have fixed that issue, ease of rebuild and cost were excellent, so I sprung for one in a 125mm.

No cold weather feedback as itís still warm here, but I suspect itíll function the same warm or cold as steel springs are more resistant to temperature than oil, air, and rubber seals.
    I just outfitted my new Rocky Mountain Suzie Q -30 (2017) with an E-Thirteen 125 mm dropper post. I too liked the price and the idea that it might deal well with the cold. It was 8į F when I commuted to work on it and the dropper was working just fine -- cycled it a bunch of times on the way in. Went out for a ride at lunch on the local new "Schoolyard" trails with a cold wind at 19į F and ran the dropper through some real world use -- flawless. So the first attempt for me in cold has it working well.

I like the predetermined stops on this post -- they're in the right place. I have a Fox Transfer on my main ride and it too works very well. But I think I might prefer the E-Thirteen's predetermined stops. I can almost never get the Fox to have that "1 inch lower" spot that works well on some fast twisty stuff that also begs for a reasonable pedaling stroke while seated. The Fox has helped up well, and I hope the E-Thirteen does too.

So, thank you "Nurse Ben" for posting a review of the E-Thirteen dropper -- I found one at a good price and am looking forward to using it on true snow bike rides -- we have just a couple of windblown inches at present.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptor View Post
    I just outfitted my new Rocky Mountain Suzie Q -30 (2017) with an E-Thirteen 125 mm dropper post. I too liked the price and the idea that it might deal well with the cold. It was 8į F when I commuted to work on it and the dropper was working just fine -- cycled it a bunch of times on the way in. Went out for a ride at lunch on the local new "Schoolyard" trails with a cold wind at 19į F and ran the dropper through some real world use -- flawless. So the first attempt for me in cold has it working well.

I like the predetermined stops on this post -- they're in the right place. I have a Fox Transfer on my main ride and it too works very well. But I think I might prefer the E-Thirteen's predetermined stops. I can almost never get the Fox to have that "1 inch lower" spot that works well on some fast twisty stuff that also begs for a reasonable pedaling stroke while seated. The Fox has helped up well, and I hope the E-Thirteen does too.

So, thank you "Nurse Ben" for posting a review of the E-Thirteen dropper -- I found one at a good price and am looking forward to using it on true snow bike rides -- we have just a couple of windblown inches at present.
    Any thoughts on the Fox in cold weather? I have a Thomson and the manual says the lower temperature limit is 4 F. I rode in in the mid-20s F last week and the return speed was so slow that its use case became more of a "drop then stand and pedal for ~5 seconds" before I could sit again. I was thinking about swapping for the Fox dropper (I'm a fan of the infinitely adjustable vs the multi-position) but I'm trying to find info on its cold weather performance first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeir13 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Fox in cold weather?
    My Fox Transfer (Kashima coated if that makes a difference) has worked the same at all temps, with the low being only the mid-20s so far. I do not notice any return speed problems over hundreds of "drops" on rides in the mid-20s to mid-30s (F). I expect I'll get a chance to try it out in single digits eventually, but my part of the Rockies has been (comparatively) sweltering so far this winter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've never run a Fox, but I have run all three 9.8 products as well as a KS Lev. I have had slow or no returns on all of these posts as well as slipping.

The E Thirteen won't be affected by cold because the design is cold proof; steel spring and preset positions. Just grease the internals once in a while and keep it clean.

The only concerns I have for the E Thirteen are premature wear or spring fatigue. We'll need more time to flush these issues out; if they are issues.

So far I've had no problems with mine, easy to find positions, really like the first position for pedaling over rough terrain or when my knees need a little position change. Use up and full down the most. No looseness so far.

Quote Originally Posted by strikeir13 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Fox in cold weather? I have a Thomson and the manual says the lower temperature limit is 4 F. I rode in in the mid-20s F last week and the return speed was so slow that its use case became more of a "drop then stand and pedal for ~5 seconds" before I could sit again. I was thinking about swapping for the Fox dropper (I'm a fan of the infinitely adjustable vs the multi-position) but I'm trying to find info on its cold weather performance first.

Occasionally engagedÖ
    No issues with the Fox in cold weather. Don't know about 4 F though. I thought the "infinite adjustable" would be much better, but to be honest it's a lot easier to hit a great position with the E-thirteen than with the Fox, just like Nurse Ben said. And the E-thirteen's remote lever is much better than the Fox. But it's not like I'll change out the Fox anytime soon.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    How has the ethirteen performed in the cold this season?

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    How has the ethirteen performed in the cold this season?
    My experience is all good so far. Probably a dozen rides in the cold (below freezing, mostly teens and twenties of the Fahrenheit variety) with several hundred dropper activations and no stickiness, no problems. I still wouldn't count that as a long term review, but it is working well. I'm a lot less frustrated when remounting on soft snow when I can have a low seat height to get back on. Getting started again on a narrow track with soft snow to the sides drove me nuts last year, and the dropper has solved that particular issue quite well.
    And when is it ever a drawback to have an easy way to lower the seat on descents?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I currently have a 2017 125mm internal on my Wednesday and a 2018 125mm external on my fatillac. Having ridden 4 different fox transfers year round for the past 2 years, they are *perfect* down to 0 degrees. Any colder than that, and well, i wuss out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have two fox transfer posts, one with a lot of flawless miles and the other a fresh install on my Wozo fat bike. My first ride in sub zero temps on the transfer it blew a seal and needed a rebuild. I switched to the e13 post and Iím happy with it. Worked just fine at -8 degrees on Saturday.

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptor View Post
    I just outfitted my new Rocky Mountain Suzie Q -30 (2017) with an E-Thirteen 125 mm dropper post. I too liked the price and the idea that it might deal well with the cold. It was 8į F when I commuted to work on it and the dropper was working just fine -- cycled it a bunch of times on the way in.
    I thought about this review as I rode into work today at -18 F on the fat bike with the E-Thirteen dropper. It worked just fine, with return not appreciably slowed by the low temps. It's been working well on my authentic snow bike rides too, but I usually don't go out when it's sub zero. So, I'm still a fan of the E-Thirteen.

This place needs an enema
    I rode a Bontrager Drop Line this winter on a demo bike. Even at -15* (after sitting in an unheated van overnight at -20) it was fine. Really like these posts. Only drawback I can find is that they are 31.6 only.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The e13 doesnít change with temp, but an overly tight seat post clamp will slow return. Itís not the greatest return from the -1Ē to full up, but it works. I have had issues with the top bolt loosening, which results in some rotation, but itís easy enough to tighten.

E13 is going to revise the post, so that should lead to improvements in return.

Iíve considered looking for a stiffer spring that gives me a more solid return.

In terms of adding a spacer to increase the return of the existing spring, been there, tried the 150 cap, didnít work, clearance is tight at full compression, wouldnít allow lock out at full compression on a 125mm.

I donít think the 150mm return is much different, the spring is the same, but the cap has an added stun to compensate.

Still, even with the occasional leg nudge, itís been a simple and reliable post, much more so than the 9.8 post tech which suffer from leak down, slow return, and slippage. I still have one if each ( RF, Easton, 9.8). Just sold the 9.8, it was the worst performing of the bunch, Easton is on my Hendrix and it works fine for warm weather, RF is on my Wozo and itís a slipper in cold weather (itíll get replaced with an e13).

beer thief
    Didn't read the whole thread, but i have an original issue Thomson dropper that has been flawless in the cold. I bought another one for my GF's Beargrease.

The KS LEVs we have can be quite sticky in the cold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Subscribed as I'm interested to see how this thread progresses as it's updated with more long term reviews.

When the time comes, hope those that have the e13 post will provide end of "cold season" updates? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have been running the Brand-X with a Wolftooth remote. 140$ for the dropper and 60$ for the remote. 200$ for a dropper with infinite adjustment (instead of preset heights) and it has been bomb proof for me. I have used it in dust and mud, hot and cold. It works just as good whether it is 90 degrees or 10 degrees.

My review for the Giant Contact Switch (160$) is pretty much the exact same. As long as these 2 options exist I will never buy an expensive dropper again. Waste of time and money.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The e13 doesnít change with temp, but an overly tight seat post clamp will slow return. Itís not the greatest return from the -1Ē to full up, but it works. I have had issues with the top bolt loosening, which results in some rotation, but itís easy enough to tighten.
    Is it like most everything else where you can't tighten the collar more than about than hand-tight without affecting the return/having it stop? During g-outs and other events the post can then shift in the tube due to the incredibly light torque you have to use on the bolt. This seems to be one of the Achilles Heel's of most posts out there...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Propr
    Strongly considering the 170mm 2018 post...any long-term users with pros/cons available? From what I've read it seems like a great post, just not unlimited travel options...4 position only. Anyone find any trouble with that limitation? Almost seems like the the Gravity Dropper post...which think is still available to this day!
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LT - 2018 LG

Elitest thrill junkie
    Been running a Transfer in the last few weeks. Temps haven't been very cold though, only the 20s and up into the 30s mostly. Has worked fine though (although it's nowhere near as good as my Revive posts). I put it on to try and leverage an advantage for an XC race last weekend where you ride downhill for a half a mile or so, do a lollypop and then a huge lung-busting climb up a slope at a ski-area, then you ride back down that same slope at mach 10, at least, that's what happened in years past. This year, they eliminated that part and stopped the race at the top of the climb and the DH was a separate race. On the first part of the race, I started going the wrong way at the lollypop, while still going 20-30mph, with the brakes on hard I stopped pretty fast, but the guy behind me didn't, took me out, so dropper didn't help one bit. I still won the uphill though, but didn't get to leverage it for the DH portion of the XC. Still, it's kind of fun to have on, it doesn't seem to make a big difference in speed as I find myself dropping it on sections where it doesn't really let me go any faster, but it does make it easier to take some bigger jumps, doubles, etc. with much more confidence/safety. If I was going to run one though the middle of winter, I'd still use mechanical, but I also feel that it doesn't really make a huge difference and I don't plan on keeping it on the fatty.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    There are several revisions of e13 dropper, the overall length of newer models (V15+) is shorter and e13 claims they have fixed some issues with dropper, including a stiffer coil. Alas, every single online shop here in Europe is stocked with earlier versions. For my fatbike I bought greatly discounted Marzocchi Transfer Elite which essentially is Fox Transfer Performance and Cane Creek Dropt lever.
    Last edited by Mebaru; 1 Week Ago at 12:37 PM.