mtbr member

DUC 32 max/best tire and rim combo

I have a DUC 32 to play with. I have done a bit of snow riding with 2.8" tires and am looking to graduate to snaux riding. The bike will be design to go into high altitude mountains in Washington state (with the dogs...have to get away from the city folks).

I remember reading that the DUC32 does not have quite the clearance of a rigid fork, or even the SC32.

This will be going on a Snaux freeride bike (adjustable 4" to 5.9" travel - a Titus Supermoto FWIW). I will probably use a 2.8" Michelin DH32 in the back, or a dedicated mud/snow tire, if I can find one big enough. (any thoughts)

So, my question is: What is the best rim/tire combination. I presume wider is better, but which rim, and which tire would give best traction in the snow.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did do a search, but could not find anything directly related in 3 pp, but I know you guys are an bevy of great information)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Realistically, something narrower than a Rolling Darryl, like a Marge Lite, or perhaps an Uma 70, paired with a Larry.

The BFL, nope. Nate, too much side nob. Maybe a HD, haven't tried that one on this yet.

I'm running a Darryl/Larry on a DUC that I have floating around, it works, but will scrub lightly on the inside of the legs at full travel, so a smidge less width would be all it needs to maximize fatness, without the rub.

If mud is a frequent friend, you may want to go narrower yet, but that's up to your preference.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have found that rims over 50mm wide the tires will rub at full compression of the suspension. The Nate rubs on my 46mm echo rims halfway into the suspension, a BFL is too big as well. I found that the regular Larry and the Husker Du work best on the DUC with 46mm rim.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    one in the classifieds already built on a 47mm rim and true ;-)