mtbr member

DT Swiss 2250 (710) wheelset

Hiya guys,

Ok im soon going to be purchasing a pair of wheels to replace my factory felt DD10 wheels. My Felt rims to be honest have done me very proud, very well built for "in house" rims. But im on the hunt for some lighter rims, the felt rims aint very heavy but i wouldnt mind some lighter ones.

There isnt really a huge choice as im going to be purchasing them using my Cycle 2 Work voucher.

The ones that seem to come up top are the DT Swiss 2250 rims, i was also thinking of carbon rims but the only carbon ones that seem to be worth getting are the nextie ones which i can find no where that stocks them that accepts C2W voucher, so these seem to be a no-go.

But ive read reviews on the DT Swiss 2250 wheelsets, mostly good, but i have read that they can be hit & miss in terms of durability? I do alot of red/black trails (incl Stiniog) so they will be getting some pretty heavy usage. They are also very light (just a tad heavier than a carbon wheelset) according to reviews.

Has anyone had any first had experience with these wheels/rims? The only others ive seen are Halo ones but they are on the heavy side so not much point.

Cheers guys/gals
    Felt DD10 Fatty
    ..with lots of upgrades ^^

Nutrailer
    I've changed from MuleFuts to these for my Nutrail and have had no issues and they are easy to use tubeless if you're careful and take your time when taping them up.
    DT Swiss are a quality brand and it always make me laugh/face palm when I read some peoples 'durability issues' with well know quality brands that have sold thousands of the particular items, when they are obviously using that product outside of its intended limits of use or simply fail to comprehend that parts need checking and/or maintenance over time.
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I have had this wheel set on my fat bike for 3 seasons now and have never had an issue/problem. Very respectable weight and very durable. Even managed to get them set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    just what i wanted to hear

cheers guys!
    Felt DD10 Fatty

turtles make me hot
    Can you get Surly My Other Brother Darryls with your work voucher? Light, strong and stupid easy tubeless.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Can you get Surly My Other Brother Darryls with your work voucher? Light, strong and stupid easy tubeless.
    As someone who has extensive mileage on both the DT BR710 and Surly's MOBD, I have to say that the MOBD rims are just as light and durable as the DT rims but the tubeless interface is MUCH better. The 2250/710 rims require very crafty and careful taping whereas the Surly MOBD rims are pretty much plug and play with a single strip of tape. They also inflate with a hand pump as opposed to a compressor and straps. In my opinion, this is progress...

mtbr member
    hiya guys, i was looking at surlys but no where in uk that has them in stock that accepts my voucher. But im also a bit of a "bike Tart"! & i do really like the look of the cut outs on the DT rims as i will be using orange rim tape

Ive always had tubes so will prob stick with that
    Felt DD10 Fatty

mtbr member
    actually ive found this place that accepts my voucher!

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/compo...te-wheel-p8951

so would you guys say surly are better? it doesnt say the weight of the rims or what hubs they use? but it does say they use DT Swiss psokes on all wheels.
    Felt DD10 Fatty

turtles make me hot
    I normally don't like to get on here and say this is better than that because it usually starts arguments but in this case, I will say it. The My Other Brother Darryls are superior to the DT Swiss rims. The cutouts are even similar so there's that.
    The tubeless is excellent on the Surly rim. Rim strip, tape and valvestem, done.

I have a friend who owns a bike shop and he has a Cannondale fat fully that he took Mulefuts off and got the DT Swiss rims. He told me about all the trouble he had getting them tubeless and how much tape he had on them. I had never set them up since no one asks for them so I took a crack at setting them up. I removed all the tape, tried doing them split tubeless and it finally worked after adding foam between the rimstrip and tube. The front tire held fine. The rear blew off.

I'm talking about the newer My Other Brother Darryl, NOT the older Rolling Darryl.

https://surlybikes.com/parts/rims/my...brother_darryl
    Last edited by NYrr496; 06-19-2018 at 05:29 AM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I used to have a Felt DD30 and switched to the BR2250 rims, it was a big upgrade. I easily set them up tubeless with a single round of Sun Ringle tape I did this once over 1 1/2 years ago and have changed tires 3 times without needing to change the tape. This was my first time trying tubeless on any bike as well. I haven't tried My Other Brother Darryl, but they should feel similar as they are pretty close in weight, either way you should be fine.

I still have the wheels, just switched the bike.

Tape I used:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...-78mm-wide-10m

mtbr member
    hi guys,

cheers for for info, think im going to go with the DT swiss as i also had DT Swiss on my cube & were a great wheel set, for time being i will prob stay tube, but in future i may venture into hte tubeless setup
    Felt DD10 Fatty

turtles make me hot
    Don't say we didn't warn you.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I just built up a set of wheels for my fat Cannondale using BR710 rims. Tubeless setup was super smooth just using a hand pump, and it was my first attempt (ever) at going tubeless, so I don't agree with the people saying that they are hard to work with. I used a wrap of reflective fabric covered by a single wrap of 3M 8087 tape and they held air without sealant.

Nutrailer
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarMonkey View Post
    I just built up a set of wheels for my fat Cannondale using BR710 rims. Tubeless setup was super smooth just using a hand pump, and it was my first attempt (ever) at going tubeless, so I don't agree with the people saying that they are hard to work with. I used a wrap of reflective fabric covered by a single wrap of 3M 8087 tape and they held air without sealant.
    This was my experience as well - no dramas and the rims/tyres held/hold air with no issues and this is with Jumbo Jim 4.0 Liteskins, though I also use Stans Sealant but it wasn't required to seal the rims.

DT Swiss 2250 (710) wheelset-nutrail.jpg
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    ride the dt swiss since three years now without any issues..
    setting tubeless was no problem just using a stand pump, no compressor,
    used "no name" tubeless valves with these nuts..
    https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...p-nut_tubeless
    works perfect..

the dt swiss hubs with ratchet system are always my first choice, absolutely reliable,
    robust and not too loud...

This place needs an enema
    If you get down into low single digit pressures -- as many of us do in winter -- the DT "tubeless interface" (quoted because these rims were never designed for tubeless use) leaves lots to be desired.

At summer pressures they can work fine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I ran pretty low pressures on 2250/710 rims. I did use the fattystripper rim strips. I was down to 1psi on a regular basis during the winter. No burps.

Having said that, there are better tubeless specific rims out there. Bontrager rims seem to be excellent.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    I ran pretty low pressures on 2250/710 rims. I did use the fattystripper rim strips. I was down to 1psi on a regular basis during the winter. No burps.

Having said that, there are better tubeless specific rims out there. Bontrager rims seem to be excellent.

Fattystripper does seem to work well on these, but it is also a 'ghetto' solution IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    I have a similar experience.