mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Dry snow, Gnarwhal, bud and Lou and you

Since the winter is bout done, can anyone with some knowledge let me know how the bontrager gnarwhal on 27.5 x 80mm rims performs in dry snow like we have here in interior Alaska? Currently I have bud and Lou on clown shoes ,but was thinking of changing rim sizes for grins
    Last edited by Dash1001; 1 Week Ago at 02:15 PM. Reason: More information

turtles make me hot
    I have extensive experience with Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. I have not ridden any size Gnarwhals. My brother has 4.6 x 26 Barbegazis on Rolling Darryls. I have tried those. They do roll a lot faster but I'm not sure how the Barbegazis or the Gnarwhals would perform in snow. Knobs are kinda small.
    I did switch my bike from Clownshoes to My Other Brother Darryls. Bud on the front, 4.8 Knard on the back. Love that combo on sand, loose singletrack, anything. Even rode it on snow a month ago because I was too lazy to swap Lou back on. Worked pretty well but not as idiot proof as Lou.
    I like turtles

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash1001 View Post
    Since the winter is bout done, can anyone with some knowledge let me know how the bontrager gnarwhal on 27.5 x 80mm rims performs in dry snow like we have here in interior Alaska? Currently I have bud and Lou on clown shoes ,but was thinking of changing rim sizes for grins

My experience is that float is more or less a wash between them, but the Gnarwhals are a bit faster on hardpack of all sorts. Haven't ridden them a huge amount, but enough to se/feel that distinction. Try the Barbegazi for more speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have extensive experience with Bud and Lou on Clownshoes. I have not ridden any size Gnarwhals. My brother has 4.6 x 26 Barbegazis on Rolling Darryls. I have tried those. They do roll a lot faster but I'm not sure how the Barbegazis or the Gnarwhals would perform in snow. Knobs are kinda small.
    I did switch my bike from Clownshoes to My Other Brother Darryls. Bud on the front, 4.8 Knard on the back. Love that combo on sand, loose singletrack, anything. Even rode it on snow a month ago because I was too lazy to swap Lou back on. Worked pretty well but not as idiot proof as Lou.
    Same here. Bud and Lou on 100mm for winter and Bud and Knard on same rims for summer.

Bud/Knard has worked well on both clay and on rockgarden-style trails.

mtbr member
    I run the 26x3.8 gnarwhals, we have sugar dry snow in sask like alaska, its worked well for me as we only get like 6-12" of snow so float aside they grip well and roll well for the grip. The 27.5" look chunkier... heard guys felt the weight on them vs their 1200g barbergazi.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....