mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Drilling out Marge Lite rims

Thinking about drilling out the holes in my Marge Lite rims. Does anybody know how large a hole I can drill without sacrificing rim strength and how much weight it will save? Just saw a pair of Rolloing Daryl's sold on Ebay and the guy claims to have taken over a pound off his wheels. Seems like a cheap do-it-yourself way to shed some weight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you already have Marge Lites, you already have holes. Sure, you can drill out the unused spoke holes, but don't expect to drop a pound or more from the wheels.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigringbill View Post
    Thinking about drilling out the holes in my Marge Lite rims. Does anybody know how large a hole I can drill without sacrificing rim strength and how much weight it will save? Just saw a pair of Rolloing Daryl's sold on Ebay and the guy claims to have taken over a pound off his wheels. Seems like a cheap do-it-yourself way to shed some weight.
    I suspect a small amount of weight could be removed from the ML's but unsure what that is. The older rolling darryls (without cutouts & dbl wall) is most likely what the Ebay rims were and yes they could easily be drilled & lightened to reduce weight however the new RD's are single walled with cutouts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You're right! The guy on eBay May have had older rolling Daryl's not holy rolling Daryl's. I think I'll shelve that idea. Got the weight down to 26 lbs on my beargrease...I should be happy with that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I suspect a small amount of weight could be removed from the ML's but unsure what that is. The older rolling darryls (without cutouts & dbl wall) is most likely what the Ebay rims were and yes they could easily be drilled & lightened to reduce weight however the new RD's are single walled with cutouts.
    All Rolling Darryls are single wall. The factory drilled ones use smaller holes than what people have put in the self drilled ones. It is easy to get another 100 grams per rim over the factory drilled rims. It is possible to get more but they start to look scarey.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    All Rolling Darryls are single wall. The factory drilled ones use smaller holes than what people have put in the self drilled ones. It is easy to get another 100 grams per rim over the factory drilled rims. It is possible to get more but they start to look scarey.
    ahhhhhh shat i was thinking large marge my apologies to folks.