Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twebb View Post
    Looks Great!!

Can you tell me a little about your measurements? What type of system did you use to determine where to make (center) your holes? I think I am going to try this over the weekend
    I don't have any firm measurements except the bit is 1.25" and the hole comes within .25" of the edge of the rim. I made paper cutouts of several different holes and shuffled them around until i found the size and placement that looked good. one of my main goals was to stay at least .25" from the edge of the rim, the existing spoke holes, and the centerline of the ridge that runs between the spoke holes. I had a number of fancier patterns made up but in the end this one was the best balance between the maximum material removal, staying within my boundaries, and simplicity to execute.

One thing to mention is that you should probably not drill out the gap that has the welded seam, I regret doing this. Hopefully it will be ok, thankfully surly seemed to overkill the weld area and it looks like there is a gusset to spread the load around that area. I ended up epoxying a tight fitting aluminium ring (about .125 thickness) into the hole on the seam to help spread the load between the two walls, and i may epoxy a thin gusset that overlaps the seam to further spread the load out. Maybe it will be fine, but it's one of those things that will always be in the back of my mind now so I wish I'd thought about it a little more (drilling was boring, I had a few beers, next time I'll save the beverages to celebrate finishing).

Eat the Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    I don't have any firm measurements except the bit is 1.25" and the hole comes within .25" of the edge of the rim. I made paper cutouts of several different holes and shuffled them around until i found the size and placement that looked good. one of my main goals was to stay at least .25" from the edge of the rim, the existing spoke holes, and the centerline of the ridge that runs between the spoke holes. I had a number of fancier patterns made up but in the end this one was the best balance between the maximum material removal, staying within my boundaries, and simplicity to execute.

One thing to mention is that you should probably not drill out the gap that has the welded seam, I regret doing this. Hopefully it will be ok, thankfully surly seemed to overkill the weld area and it looks like there is a gusset to spread the load around that area. I ended up epoxying a tight fitting aluminium ring (about .125 thickness) into the hole on the seam to help spread the load between the two walls, and i may epoxy a thin gusset that overlaps the seam to further spread the load out. Maybe it will be fine, but it's one of those things that will always be in the back of my mind now so I wish I'd thought about it a little more (drilling was boring, I had a few beers, next time I'll save the beverages to celebrate finishing).
    Excellent! Looks great man.

What do you mean by the 'welded seam'? I don't have mine apart yet to look at but would like to see a pic of this, or explanation. I assume you mean there's a large weld holding the entire rim together at one point...?

Good job!

mtbr member
    Find the valve hole then look on the opposite side of the rim (draw a straight line from the valve hole, through the hub, and to the other side of the rim), if you look at it closely you can see where the two ends were welded together. That seam exists on every bicycle rim (ok, maybe there are exceptions but for the most part that holds true) and it's a weak spot.

Eat the Earth
    ^ awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

Eat the Earth
    Yo BrassNipples - thanks for the write-up. I'm good to roll!

By dizbu at 2012-03-07

gone walk about
    nice job

Eat the Earth
    thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12