Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

double takes and fatbike riding

Alright, so I've been noticing this for a while but today brought things to a whole new level. I LOVE my moonlander. I ride the full flat, 6 psi style, everywhere. Gimme sand, singletrack, or pavement and i'm there. Since the first ride home from the shop, I'm talking day one, people took note of the tires and on that first day I didn't mind it. Hell, I was pumped to witness this crazy bike it was like people were joining in on my smiles, like they could feel the excitement. Even now, the occasional "Those are some big tires!" or just a "waaaaahoooooo" does me good. With all that said, it's been getting old ...

Today a car pulled up next to me and the DRIVER pulled out is phone and took a picture of me, point blank, while on my bike (he was to the right of me in the turning lane, I was going straight). He was so close I thought about slapping the droid from his greasy hands.

This is a part of fat bikes I never envisioned. Any similar experiences?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Every single time.
    We make and sell these, so I don't complain one bit about the attention
    Only problem is that my training rides get broken up by folks asking questions, but that comes with the territory.
    Especially car drivers seem to notice, I guess it is because they are sitting level with the tires and get a better viewing angle than other riders and pedestrians.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    I was getting lots of attention on the Pugsley and thought I was used to it by now.
    Just scored a Moonlander over the weekend and you should see the attention it attracts. Gaudy yellow Clownshoes not helping to tone things down

Wouldn't be a happy camper in your shoes with the pic snapping-- but its probably in his enthusiasm it was forgotten how dangerous that could have been. I have seen cyclist who kept looking at my Pugs and fell into a ditch...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Since I've been commuting on my Pug, I've not had any single driver yell anything at me. I think they're too bewildered. At any rate, drivers give the Pug a wider berth when passing. Perhaps its easier to see? Either that, or it just can't be ignored.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    True about the yellow rims.
    I run custom gold anodized versions of our new 103mm rims, and that took the attention gain to a whole new level
    Compton style ridin'
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    True about the yellow rims.
    I run custom gold anodized versions of our new 103mm rims, and that took the attention gain to a whole new level
    Compton style ridin'
    pics or you're making that up
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I love the look of a fatbike as much as anyone. However, the fatbike community is missing an opportunity of doing something different when in comes to racing and promoting this sport.

In the winter, fatbikes rule. However, if the sport is to go mainstream. It must appeal to the majority. Yet, most still Think of a fatbike as a winter sport.

With local groups lacking the funding. Fatbikes only in the hands of the minority. We as fatbikers should try to expand beyond the norm. Why we choose to run the same style of races that everyone has been doing since the beginning. Racers lineup, first one across the line wins.

Because in most cycling group's only a Few own a fatbike. So, getting more riders on these and into the sport would seem to be the priory.

Also, summer racing xc events all seem to run the same style format. What if fatbikes had a different style of race? Something that would bring more spectators, racer's and eventually more involvement. I feel it would grow at a faster rate while creating note excitement.

I call it fat bike relays...

You would have 4 or 5 members to a team. (This saves money, instead of one family coming to a race you have 4 or 5 families coming out per team)
    Thus, increasing exposure.

Two, it would be formatted like relay races that you did in school. However, the had off would be the bike and a wristband. What's missing at most standard format racing is drama. This is created at the moment of exchange, were anything can happen.

As the sports grows, the exchange of the bike can be reduced to just the wristband.

Rules are simple. The wristband must be in place before forward movement would be allowed, If the racer were to drop his or her wristband they would need to pick it up before forward progress is allowed. This creates drama along with excitement for both. Riders and Spectator, something that missing for the normal format.

The tire size that would qualify to run this event we can workout together.
    I have more to add for this but don't have the time at this moment.

Thought's?

No I'm not crazy.

mtbr member
    Tablet, auto correct. Suck! :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    pics or you're making that up
    Here ye go, Sir:

double takes and fatbike riding-wp_20130908_004-3-.jpg

23lbs as in the picture. Will hit 21.5lbs today on Vee Speedsters and custom 15g Tyvek rimstrips.
    Proto rims in the picture, front weighs 850g, rear 950. Production versions will come in at approx. 895g
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    23? Is that steel tubing I see?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ppl are no longer impressed by my pug's 65mm rim.. I know I wouldn't be either if I saw one of them garbage rolling diwn the street.. Need triple digits to really impress the masses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Here ye go, Sir:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130908_004 (3).jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	834636

23lbs as in the picture. Will hit 21.5lbs today on Vee Speedsters and custom 15g Tyvek rimstrips.
    Proto rims in the picture, front weighs 850g, rear 950. Production versions will come in at approx. 895g
    Never mind the 21.5lb 23lb is gonna make a lot of panties drop around my local trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    23? Is that steel tubing I see?
    23lbs and soon to shed a pound and a half with Speedsters and ultralight rimstrips, then another one point five when I set it up for 1x, testing for possible Mk4 use.
    1295g proto alloy frame and 650g alloy fork (fork ready for production use on Mk3)
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-25-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by float nasty View Post
    This is a part of fat bikes I never envisioned. Any similar experiences?
    +1 - it gets really old. One thing I love about the Krampus is I can be riding a relatively "odd" bike with my buddy on his Muk and he gets 100% of the attention and nobody even looks twice at my bike - except the real bike geeks who I don't mind talking to.

In Baja when I pass a bunch of gawkers who I know are going to ask a lot of idiotic questions I speed up and head for the deepest beach sand I can find. I figure that demonstrates what the big tires are for and I can get out of there without explaining.

Inevitably the fat tires lead to lots of interactions. You gotta be ready for that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    In Baja when I pass a bunch of gawkers who I know are going to ask a lot of idiotic questions I speed up and head for the deepest beach sand I can find. I figure that demonstrates what the big tires are for and I can get out of there without explaining.
    Ah yes, just let the bike speak for itself.

I don't mind the inquiring minds, though mostly I just keep rolling. Sometimes I'll stop and have a chat if the people look interesting enough.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Black Sheep rising
    TBH, I kinda enjoy the attention and the opportunity to "evangelize" a bit about the glory of Fat Bikes.

I have a local loop I occasionally ride my Fat Bike (mostly when I can't make it out to the trails) that consists of sidewalks on some very heavily traveled roads (I usually ride this around evening rush). Invariably I will get the honk & wave several times, and occasionally someone will stop and ask questions.

I figure that the more popular Fat Bikes become, the more equipment choices we will ultimately have. It's in our long-term self-interest to act as "ambassadors of phatness". Besides, talking bikes always makes me less grumpy!

ps. When racing, the Fat Bike ALWAYS seems to grab a disproportionate amount of female attention (they think Fat Bikes are "cute"). This doesn't suck.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Levi Early
    My fat bike gets attention everywhere I take it. Its always the same thing "those are huge tires!" I ride it to work, I ride it out on the trails, heck I ride it everywhere. I even raced it down at the sea otter classic this year and the comments I was getting on it were great. It kept me going. I had one guy ask to draft behind me on one of the sandy roads. The best part was riding in to the finish on it. People were screaming at me towards the end, especially since I was in a sprint against someone else at the finish. Guess who won?

mtbr member
    I rode a 100 mile event this past spring for fun on my Moonlander--all pavement. There were about 4000 people there and I think about 3000 of them had a comment for me. The only one that started to bother me was "Hey fatty!" :-). I was more disappointed that I only saw one other fatbike there.
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I also get the "look at those tires!" Comments. But I also slow traffic while transporting my bike on the highway. I'll be in the slow lane, somebody will stay behind me in the fast lane, I'll check my mirrors and they are either looking at my bike or taking pictures of it. Then if I'm stopped on my bike I'll be randomly approached with the "Look at those tires!" followed by them squeezing my tires with their hands; that happens enough that I almost feel violated lol.

The attention does get old as others have said. But, I remind myself to smile and answer people's questions as they are enthusiastic about the bike and had never seen anything like it. However, when I get the inevitable "how much did that cost?" they quickly lose interest.

mtbr member
    Trailcrawler, when it comes to being violated, I know dat feel bro.

I've had my ML over a year now. I've become increasingly annoyed by the attention. I get it, but I don't have to like it.

Women seem most impressed while guys are largely indifferent. No penile competition I guess? And bigger is better? lol

Funny story time:

I was riding my ML in muddy conditions at a local mountain, came mobbing around a turn before hitting the parking lot, passed a deputy sheriff on foot. He walked up to my car to see wtf I was riding. He thought I had a motor on it (motorized a no-no there)! After the usual Fat Bike Education Session, I was on my way.

I've also had people wave me down to ask questions. Once on the bike, several times at red lights while driving with it on the rack. One guy actually blocked an intersection to get me to pull over so he could ask questions. He knew the bike right away, had been pondering getting one. At the time it was like seeing a bald eagle I suppose. Still though, wtf people?! My bike is a celebrity and they're the paparazzi!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Roads View Post
    The only one that started to bother me was "Hey fatty!" :-).
    My wife and I took fats to the big city last weekend and she couldn't believe all the attention we got. And about the "fatty" comment, I feel women are a little more sensitive about all the "fat", "fatty", and "does this bike make me look fat" comments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I consider myself an excellent fatbassador. I get at least 3-4 comments on my 4 mile trip to work (fairly low travel city roads), the occasional stoplight conversation. Its 100x worse in the winter.

I get stopped every time I ride my bike, whether its on trails or in the city. I often have cars pull up and snap a ton of pictures alongside me. I do a lot of events with my fatbike (mostly road so i can still get a workout when I'm riding with my GF) and the amount of comments are just insane. I often feel like a celebrity. Gets kinda old.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    My wife and I took fats to the big city last weekend and she couldn't believe all the attention we got. And about the "fatty" comment, I feel women are a little more sensitive about all the "fat", "fatty", and "does this bike make me look fat" comments.
    I always tell people that I ride the bike to make my ass look skinnier. Then I ask them how it's working.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Sure, it can be annoying when you're trying to get somewhere, but let's try to remember that we were there once too, and if the rider we were drilling for info was an impatient prick, we might never have taken the next step ourselves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    Sure, it can be annoying when you're trying to get somewhere, but let's try to remember that we were there once too, and if the rider we were drilling for info was an impatient prick, we might never have taken the next step ourselves.
    Wise words. I always internalize my annoyance. I usually act like a happyass fat bike zealot, so the impression is positive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast