Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Don't ever sell your fatbike!

5K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  nvphatty 
#1 ·
Gosh darn it... I sold my '11 Pug earlier this year to finance a Big Dummy build. I figured my Transition Bandit 29 and my Surly Ogre would compliment each other for my of road endeavors. But no! I went riding tonight and my tires were sinking down into crunchy frozen/icy dirt and leaves, and I immediately was longing for my Pugs.

So now I'm looking at selling my Ogre while it still has a fair amount of equity and buying either a Neck Romancer or Moonlander. Probably the Neckro, I suspect the Moonlander will not be as nimble as I'd like in the summer.

Just wanted to warn anyone who is considering selling theirs... once you go fat, it apparently is hard to go back :lol:

#4 ·
Great thread

I was just contemplating selling my Pugs to finance a Big dummy build! I will take your advice and keep mine. Actually I had already arrived at this conclusion. I have decided to Alfine 8 the pugs and use the Rohloff that is currently on the pugs for the BD:thumbsup:

Tin cup 69, don't try to justify another fat tire bike just do it! I was thinking a single speed might be the next fat bike build!

#20 ·
I was just contemplating selling my Pugs to finance a Big dummy build! I will take your advice and keep mine. Actually I had already arrived at this conclusion. I have decided to Alfine 8 the pugs and use the Rohloff that is currently on the pugs for the BD:thumbsup:

Tin cup 69, don't try to justify another fat tire bike just do it! I was thinking a single speed might be the next fat bike build!
This must be a common quandary as I went through the same thing(and still do on occasion!)
A Big Dummy was what I wanted to buy and save up for until I saw a white pugs sitting outside a bar last summer. I was like........eeeeerrrtttttt......"what the heck is that thing?! A motorcycle?" and then I just couldn't get it out of my mind! 2 weeks later, I ordered my Necro.
One of my daycare kids that I pick up from elementary school twice a week, a fellow parent rides a BD and picks up a Kindergartener. I lust after his ride. I think I will still own a BD at some point, but right now it doesn't make a ton of sense.
But I still contemplate it every now & then. I even go down to the garage and look at my Necro and think "Do I really need this?" and then I say "Heck ya, I do!"

I have only ridden in the snow once though. I think I like sand/water riding better. But then, maybe I just like the weather better! And single track is a mindless blast through everything.

#7 ·
I have thought of selling my Pugsley to justify a Beargrease...but then again, if I make some full fenders to Pug and build a BG with Marge Lites/Trialtechs, folding Dü's/Escalators and other WWish components, I would have two quite different beasts. So: can justify 2 fatties, right?

#10 ·
Keeping my Muk. No doubt. Probably picking up a new one next summer and giving my wife this one. Or vise versa, what ever she wants. I do often dream about having a regular fatbike, a super fat(Moonie or something with BFLs), and for some reason I want one to put on drop bars and brifters. I don't know why, I just sometimes envision being on the hoods or drops while trail riding.
Anyway, have fun.

#11 ·
Every time I get frustrated with my lack of skills and handling of the bike I'm ready to sell it, but I can't. I even went so far the other day to get my camera and put it up on CL. I couldn't do it. What else could possibly replace it? They need to make a WSD (women's specific design) fat bike. If I were to sell my fat bike, it would have to be for getting a smaller size frame.

#17 ·
I'm actually waiting for delivery of my first necromancer with bfl and holy Daryl's. Very excited to be riding and not just reading. I think I will mostly be riding snow roads, some trails and some dirt roads. I'm thinking the Daryl's might be to wide and heavier than I need. I might be able to swap for large marge lite. Is that a good trade or am I just over thinking a few grams and a few mm's.

#18 ·
I guess I am the odd man out. Sold my Pugsley to help finance my Tour divide race. Of course it hardly made a dent in the amount of money I needed!
Don't plan on getting another fat bike ever again. It was fun but a 29er is so much better in 99 percent of the stuff I ride. Even on most of my desert rides the 29er is better.

#19 ·
:eek:

Make that two odd mans out. Sold my Mukluk last spring to pay the mortgage for 2 months as I was between jobs. My wife then sold her Mukluk and bought us 2 new hardtail 29ers! No more fat bikes for me either. I suppose if I had a million bucks I would buy another one and still have enough change for a soda.

#21 ·
I had been racing my Fatback in a few off season (summer) races and doing quite well. I decided to buy a Santa Cruz Tallboy and figured it would end up being my new favorite......WRONG! I do love my Tallboy and it will be my race bike but there is no feeling like kickin' some butt on a fatty. NEVER SELL A FATBIKE TO FUND ANOTHER BUILD! Unless its a fat build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.