Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Dolomite problem thread- very important

First let me say, that I am very much a amateur when it comes to bikes , but I like to learn and am a decent tinkerer with alot of tools.

My dolomite came in today from walmart online . All 5 of my local
    walmarts did not have them in stock. Cost was $215 shipped.

The box was in decent shape and all components were in the box.

Anyone that gets one of these, should definitely spend a few hours and inspect things before riding.

I started with the front wheel. I placed it on the forks , and spun it by hand, and it only turned a few times and it was very un-smooth like a ratchet . The factory had the axle nuts way to tight. If I had ridden it like it was, resistance woulda been worse and maybe even damage to the cone/bearings.

I dont have any cone wrenches, so I had to grind down a adjustable wrench . I took the axle out, and luckily the bearings had a bit of grease on them, but not much. I packed em with grease , then tightened down the bolts so the wheel spun properly...BIG DIFFERENCE.

I then moved onto the front brake. I was unable to get the caliper to rest properly in the middle between the 2 brake pads and the front brake disc. It was so out of align, that when I tightened it up properly, the brake disc was actually rubbing the inside of the caliper. My wheel was properly aligned on the front forks and the axle was correct. Then it hit me....the 2 metal brake supports that are welded to the fork, that hold the caliper, were bent . It took me 4 trys to bend them in the right position, so the caliper was properly aligned in the middle of the brake disc , when tightened.

Once I got that done , I spun the rear wheel , and it spun nicely, no ratcheting at all . I decided to take it for a quick ride , to see if the gears shifted properly from the factory. All 7 gears did engage, but not smoothly , so I will tackle that tommorow.

Both wheels seem to be trued properly , and the bike seems like a good deal for the price.
    Last edited by sunnyday; 2 Days Ago at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I also wanted to mention that somebody said the current dolomite bike have changed from 36 spoke, to 32 spoke. Mine is still a 36 spoke.

I dont have a cassette removal tool, and was wondering if anyone has taken their rear axle apart, and was it greased from the factory. I really dont want to take mine apart if I dont have to, since it is spinning freely with no hang ups.

I will be putting the new sealed bearings in the crank and check the steering bearings for lube.

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    I feel its safe to assume that the rear hub will need to be greased and adjusted just as the front did....Also before you go to far, get some grease into the bottom bracket and headset.

Hit your LBS for some cone wrenches.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    What did you expect, that it wouldn't be a complete piece of sh!t for $215?!
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    No, I expected a bike that would need some attention but offer a person ownership of a fat bike for a small amount of money. Not everyone needs to spend alot or does this fulltime .

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oops View Post
    I feel its safe to assume that the rear hub will need to be greased and adjusted just as the front did....Also before you go to far, get some grease into the bottom bracket and headset.

Hit your LBS for some cone wrenches.
    Yeah...I will hit the bottom bracket and cassette adjustment tommorow. Im welding me a bike holder tommorrow also. No need to spend $200 for one when I can weld my own with scrap square tubing for less then $10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Good job!

I experienced the same problems and worse. When working on the hubs I discovered that some of the bearings had been displaced and fallen into the wheel. I removed all of them, counted, greased and carefully reassembled. Fortunately I did some research on this forum even before purchasing. As already mentioned by others, you get what you pay for. I've put in about ten hours of my own labor prepping the bike for the first ride. Chinese labor for Pacific Cycle can't be up to any standard of a $1000 plus bicycle at ~$200 sales price.

The good news is, with some do diligence you can have a decent bike for a little amount of money, customize it, learn from it, and have some fun.

So it's good advice to be aware that this bike is cheap, and the quality of the assembly is questionable from bike to bike.

I'm just tickled pink that I purchased the bike for $250 at Walmart, Target just put it on sale for $191.99, and I was able to get the difference in price back from Walmart. This will let me purchase odds and ends to make modifications to the bike to make it even better.

All in all, I happy with the purchase I made. Maybe next year if I decide to continue with a fat bike, I may sell it off and put some money into a higher end model. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccorm View Post
    I experienced the same problems and worse. When working on the hubs I discovered that some of the bearings had been displaced and fallen into the wheel. I removed all of them, counted, greased and carefully reassembled. Fortunately I did some research on this forum even before purchasing. As already mentioned by others, you get what you pay for. I've put in about ten hours of my own labor prepping the bike for the first ride. Chinese labor for Pacific Cycle can't be up to any standard of a $1000 plus bicycle at ~$200 sales price.

The good news is, with some do diligence you can have a decent bike for a little amount of money, customize it, learn from it, and have some fun.

So it's good advice to be aware that this bike is cheap, and the quality of the assembly is questionable from bike to bike.

I'm just tickled pink that I purchased the bike for $250 at Walmart, Target just put it on sale for $191.99, and I was able to get the difference in price back from Walmart. This will let me purchase odds and ends to make modifications to the bike to make it even better.

All in all, I happy with the purchase I made. Maybe next year if I decide to continue with a fat bike, I may sell it off and put some money into a higher end model. Time will tell.
    Yep..I already assumed that I would need to put some time into the bike..since it was $200....From what Ive read, customer service from pacific bike, is astounding if a part is broken, they send you a new one within warranty period.

Im looking for a fair priced longer handlebar stem so I can raise the handlebar several inches. Anyone have a link for one ? What size cassette puller does this use ? I midas well pull the cassette off and look at the rear wheel bearings

mtbr member
    One thing to consider is buying some of the tools you will.... ahem.... probably need on ebay before the fact. Things like a cheap bottom bracket spanner or freewheel removal tool are totally worth it. I think I might have paid 3 bucks for a cone wrench. Actually, the one you ground is probably higher quality... but sometimes having the actual tool is better than having a really good tool that isn't going to work.

I'd consider a crankarm puller, chain whip and bottom bracket tool musts. The second two you can probably buy together. These are cheap things but trying to do the job without will just result in breaking or stripping something.

If you can't handle buying something that is terrible and throwing it in the garbage, or need something that will work out of the box consider Amazon instead.

Would be great if these tools were available at a home quality level and price, but some of the park tool prices are hard to stomach if you only use it once a year (or maybe never).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Cool post bro, really helped the guy out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    Cool post bro, really helped the guy out!
    Hes a stereo typical bike snob....he did this on another dolomite thread...guys like him think if people dont spend big $$$ on a bike, we aint as high class as he is. LOL.

sad , aint it ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No.
    He - and many many others - have seen lots of people think they're getting a "real" bike for ~$250 and then get themselves into all sorts of trouble due to defects or in trying to go places that a "real" bike can.

And he - and others - got to see it all over again with the ~$250 fat bikes.

And all of those issues have been covered many times before in the Dolo thread. No need to clutter up the forum with issues that have already been covered. Go do some reading.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    No.
    He - and many many others - have seen lots of people think they're getting a "real" bike for ~$250 and then get themselves into all sorts of trouble due to defects or in trying to go places that a "real" bike can.

And all of those issues have been covered many times before in the Dolo thread. No need to clutter up the forum with issues that have already been covered. Go do some reading.
    No one made him click on this thread. He did it, to be a snob. I wont defend snobs..if you wish to, thats your business.

Also, on the other thread, I was not aware that anyone covered having to actually bend the metal brake supports, to get the caliper to align properly....so I thought I was helping people out with that info. Just because the dolomite is a fat bike under $400 , doesnt mean we have to allow other bike snobs to push us around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No.

So do you also advocate that we can only have a small number of threads on the expensive fat bikes...or does this rule only apply to inexpensive fat bikes ?

I appreciate your help and time, but I do not support your opinion on this specific subject nor do I support bike snobs who go from thread to thread, trying to belittle others { im not talking about you personally. }

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No.
    He's an experienced rider who clicked on "problem thread - very important" to see what's up.
    What he found, wasn't anything "very important", but what are the typical types of problems he's seen hundreds upon hundreds of times with bikes in this quality range. And when this particular bike is already specifically covered in another thread, including the cautions you give, repeated many times throughout the thread. If you'd read that, you'd know to check everything. Including the rear bearings you're asking about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No.
    He's an experienced rider who clicked on "problem thread - very important" to see what's up.
    What he found, wasn't anything "very important", but what are the typical types of problems he's seen hundreds upon hundreds of times with bikes in this quality range. And when this particular bike is already specifically covered in another thread.
    No..hes a bike snob, that clicked on a thread, with the title having the word

" dolomite" in it..which we know he hates, and he wanted to troll about, like he did in other threads.

Maybe he should be more proactive, and stop clicking on dolomite threads ?

Theres plenty of fat bike threads for people who have alot of money, that he can post on. We dont need his bellitling tactics here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No.
    What he found, wasn't anything "very important", but what are the typical types of problems he's seen hundreds upon hundreds of times with bikes in this quality range. And when this particular bike is already specifically covered in another thread, including the cautions you give, repeated many times throughout the thread.
    I did not see the problem i listed { concerning having to bend the caliper brackets} , mentioned many times in your dolomite thread.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What kind of response do you expect when you post old news like it was important new news...
    He wasn't belittling, he was stating a reality. A little harshly (some would say mildly), but considering the hundreds upon hundreds of times he's seen these types of problems...

Come back and read your posts in a week.

AND, had you posted in the Dolomite thread, the email alert would have gone out to the many following that thread. You would have had all of their potential input to help you. Instead you're on the mercy of those who are browsing the forum and decide to click on this thread.
    AND, any solutions would have been posted in the Dolomite thread for other owners to easily find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What kind of response do you expect when you post old news like it was important new news...
    He wasn't belittling, he was stating a reality. A little harshly (some would say mildly), but considering the hundreds upon hundreds of times he's seen these types of problems...

Come back and read your posts in a week.
    Ive seen him do it another dolomite thread...where he says something like " when you polish a turd, you still have a turd"

hes a cocky bike snob...thats LOVES to belittle other bikes that arent high priced . He needs to get a life....and once again, his post on this thread, doesnt help anyone...its just his normal cocky remarks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If people dont like the dolomite, or think this thread is useless, then dont post on it or read it. Its that simple.

The dolomite just went on sale again for $199 , which means many more people may buy one now. This thread isnt hurting anyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The other thread is over 50 pages currently.
    I would suggest that most people riding starter bikes are not going to read 50 pages looking for information that they might not even know they need. Information such as over tightened bearings.
    I would suggest a "wrenching the Dolo" thread which has a first post that lists all things to check out on the dolo and the suggested fix. Keep is simple and quick.

This sort of thing happened a while ago with the big box bikes threads on MTBR. Those guys got so fed up with some drama that they started their own forum aptly named bigboxbikes.

Just saying that there is a need for a shorter thread with specific information.

Peace...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas View Post
    ... I would suggest a "wrenching the Dolo" thread which has a first post that lists all things to check out on the dolo ...
    Great idea.
    At least I thought so.

Check the first post of the Dolo thread. It's a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by skamatt23 View Post
    Canoe thanks again for changing your first post to help filter out a few must have upgrades.
    As to what to check out, it's been covered so so many times in that thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Great idea.
    At least I thought so.

Check the first post of the Dolo thread. It's a start.
    Has anyone on your thread, mentioned the " bending brake caliper bracket " problem ?

I didnt see it, so I thought it was worthy of mention...many people may think their disc is bent, when its not.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    really?
    AND, had you posted in the Dolomite thread, the email alert would have gone out to the many following that thread. You would have had all of their potential input to help you. Instead you're on the mercy of those who are browsing the forum and decide to click on this thread.
    AND, any solutions would have been posted in the Dolomite thread for other owners to easily find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    really?
    Now wait a minute

you just told me that the problem I mentioned, had been spoke about many times on your thread...

are you now admitting error ?

You seem like a helpful person, that is hell bent on defending a bike snob that posted on this thread, and other threads...just to troll people .

we all know he hates the dolomite bike...thats his problem, not ours.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast