Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Got it.
    Assembled.
    First ride.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-first-ride-stock.jpg

(sorry the stem is 180 out, I have back problems)

Handle bars and stem on backwards. Brilliant.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Brakes work, shifter works, bearings lubed.
    Front axle was locked tight.

Very well packages compared to the way the Beast was boxed. Many tubes protected with thin foam & card-stock overtop.

Calipers are not up to my BB7 set, but they work and so far are smooth.

Rolls better than the Beast. Appears to be the same tires. I'll measure tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Handle bars and stem on backwards. Brilliant.
    You couldn't take the time to read? Now that's ..., let's call it brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    You couldn't take the time to read?
    That you have a bike set up wrong?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    That you have a bike set up wrong?
    (sorry the stem is 180 out, I have back problems)
    I can change the stem. I can't change my back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for posting it. Sitting here hoping they are back in stock soon. Probably would ride better with the stem out front, but who am I to presume to know what you like? What if you're a vet with an arm missing or something. Ride your ride dude, it' all yours after all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hate to "ruin" it, but I'll be needing cruiser bars & an adjustable stem, and a set-back seat post...
    Not a vet, just back and other medical problems.

mtbr member
    Hey there. Me, I use a BMX handlebar, leaned back a little. That's what makes me able to ride at all. You might want to try that, Canoe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For the money, that is a great looking bike! I say get some ape hangers so your back doesn't hurt and ride the heck out of it. Please let us know how you like it after a couple of rides. I am thinking about buying one for when Dad comes to visit!

Galen

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A few more quick points from that short midnight ride.
    • Headset was wonderfully smooth and liquid (during assembly, and while riding at a few degrees below zero). (I've never seen this in a bike below $800, but my experience is limited)
    • Tires measure identical to the Beast tires, from the outside anyway. Have to pull one off to weigh it and the inner tube. At this point, no idea why the Dolo rolls so much better than the Beast. Tires smell, but no where near as bad as the Beast tires.
    • Wheel seemed stronger, more robust, confidence inspiring.
    • The 36 spokes are straight gauge. Couldn't find my dial calipers, but the plastic vernier one says the black Beast spokes are 1.6mm and the shiny steel Dolo spokes are 1.8mm.
    • By hand squeeze & plucking (no meter), spoke tension is good. Front wheel is tensioned slightly more on the LH than on the RH. Rear spokes have more variance in tension and their RH has meaningfully more tension. A quick look has the rims appearing to be both laterally & radially true, and it tracked nicely in that short ride.
    • No spokes creaked or cracked: appears that the wheel was properly stressed to seat the spokes & nipples as part of the build.
    • Some of the welds aren't ideal smooth waved pools, but while having to judge with paint on top, they appear strong enough.
    • The factory has taken care with the shiny paint. Not even fine surface marks from wiping with a hard cloth. I'm sure I'll fix that before too long.
    • When unpacking, I only found one small chip in the paint where the foam/card-stock shipping protection didn't extend quite far enough for whatever chipped the paint. Tube is not dinged.
    • The blue paint is far more attractive than the wallyworld photos show. And I had assumed I'd be stripping the paint off of the rims, but with it standing in front of me the bike looks good. So good I didn't even pull the decals off! (grumble grumble - I hate decals)
    • Brakes & gears obviously setup at the factory and worked out of the box.
    • Gears changed perfectly at the start of my short ride. By the end, it wouldn't go into 7th. I assume this is due to a new cable stretching.
    • Geometry is different from the Beast. The top of the head tube is much closer to the ground. ~1" closer. Riding, the Dolo seems downright "petite" compared to my Beast and a pugs with Larrys I've tried. A strange sensation to have for a fat bike.

This is only a first look, and one bike, and no record of use, but this bike might be a real sleeper.
    And for $225.

Hope to get it back outside sometime today to get some real photos.

mtbr member
    Roughly what size would it compare it to? medium? large?
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber 29
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't have enough experience to judge that. I have to ride sitting straight up anyway.
    What points would you like measured?

mtbr member
    If you could get these dimensions, that would be great.
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber 29
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Measurements to the nearest 1/16".
    (indoors, on flat concrete floor, frame vertical, fork straight)
    (I'm describing where I measure to/from, in case I chose the wrong point; I'm sure someone will be kind enough to correct me)
    • Wheelbase (center of axle to center of axle) 44 1/2"
    • Top Tube (top center of Seat Tube to top center of Head Tube) 23 1/16"
    • Stand-over (ground to highest point of the top of the Top Tube, immediately rear of the weld to the Head Tube) 34 3/4"
    • ground to top of the lowest point of the Top Tube (immediately forward of the weld to the Seat Tube) 27"
    • Seat Tube (center of crank to top of seat tube) 17 3/16"
    • "center to center" ? (center of crank to center of top tube meeting seat tube) 13 13/16"
    • ground to center of axle 14 9/16"
    • ground to center of crank 12 3/8"
    • rear axle to center of crank 18 3/4"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Photo showing measurement points.
    NOTE: photo was taken with a wide angle lens, fork turned, etc.. It is impossible for a photo to be "on axis" for every part of the bike, so do not try to do a relative measurement of the photo nor take angles off the photo and expect them to work.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-gemoetry.jpg

7up
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Very nice and good luck with your new ride.Still waiting for mine.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Grabbed a couple of shots when I took the Dolo outside today for a side shot for the measurements. In the sun, it's too contrasty to bother trying to get good detail shots. But here's a few to show what it can.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-drive-side.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-rear-wheel-ls.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-rear-wheel-rs-top.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are the brake housings full length?

mtbr member
    NOTE: photo was taken with a wide angle lens, fork turned, etc.. It is impossible for a photo to be "on axis" for every part of the bike, so do not try to do a relative measurement of the photo nor take angles off the photo and expect them to work.
    I thought about that too. Just for the sake of stating it, it may be possible to get reasonably correct angles off a photo if you use a telephoto lens and stand way back. I have an 800 mm equivalent lens on my Nikon V1 so if I backed up a few hundred feet it might be pretty orthographic, if that's the right word.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravelo View Post
    Are the brake housings full length?
    • Front brake cable -- fully housed to the caliper.
    • Rear brake cable -- housed, except where it runs on the underside of the top tube, running open between stops at each end, exposed to crap up off of the front wheel, with only the down tube to shield it.
    • Shift Cable -- housed from shifter to a stop under the top tube, open running beside the rear brake cable to its stop, then after a short housing over to a stop on the drive-side seat stay, runs open straight down the seat stay to a stop, then housed to take it to the derailer.

(~edit.: at least on this Dolo)

Mark_BC
    yes, standing off and optical zooming in would give a more accurate on-axis image, but only more accurate, not accurate. But even with the snow to reflect light into the shadows, with the direct sunlight the contrast was too high to make that worth doing today. Look how hard it is to pick out detail in those photographs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

This might help...

These photos might help to undefined illustrate some differences in the frame layout between the Beast and Dolomite.

As orthographically as possible (yeah, that's the right term, hehe), I've put a Beast (in red) behind a Dolomite. The angle is not perfect, obviously, but you can see some clear differences that backup what Canoe has basically already said...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-20140306_153447.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-20140306_184804.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-20140306_184921.jpg

What may not be obvious is that the wheelbase on the Dolomite is almost an inch longer.

In the photo of the two BBs, the rear axles are lined up, so you can see how far aft the BB on the Dolomite has moved. The chain/seat stays are shorter, and the top/bottom tubes are longer.

The head tube on the Dolomite is much lower, and almost an inch forward of the Beast's head tube. So, the forks are shorter as well.

In the rear shot of the bikes, you can see that the Dolomite's rear dropouts are significantly farther apart than the Beast's.

I also think that the Dolomite's rear rim is not centered between the hub's flanges (is that called asymmetrical lacing?) to make room for a 7-sp freewheel.

On the new frame, the BB is farther aft, and the head tube is slightly forward, so my feet don't rub on the front tire like they sometimes do on the Beast, while pedaling through a turn.

I did a test ride with my brother, switching back and forth. We rode mainly on tarmac, and a bit on grass. We were hard-pressed to pick a favorite, handling-wise. The obvious differences are the bars, the brakes, and the gears. The Dolomite has its "upgrades" over its predecessor, and the Beast has raw simplicity on its side.

I honestly don't know yet which one I like better..
    Last edited by Voltaggio; 03-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Anchorage, AK
    heck yeah man. make sure and give some ride reports and pix!!
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Re: The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

I had the Beast - changed the rear cog, quill stem, pedals, and handlebar. It was heavy so I never rode it on the trail - didn't want to walk up the hills.

I sold it and bought a Framed Minnesota 2.0. I was surprised how much less it weighed compared to the beast. The weight of the Minnesota feels like my Trek HiFi full suspension 29er.

I was going to buy a second set of wheels for the Minnesota but it looks like I can buy a Dolomite for the same price as the wheels. Any idea how much the Dolomite weighs? How does it compare to the beast it terms of weight?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The shipping waybill says 49 lbs..
    Bathroom scales say the bike is 50 lbs.., but it does have a tiny front light and some dirt on it now...

When I get the time, I'm going to pull the tires and weigh them and the tube. Going to try split-tube tubeless to see how that rolls with losing the inner tube.

I took near 4.5 lbs. off my Beast with a DH tube and a Larry on the front, along with a token contribution from a drilled rim. Do front & back, for near 9 lbs. off. (assuming it's the same tire & tube weight as the Beast).

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast