Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 2753
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Laid back seat post with 5" offset puts my seat over the back tire making my Dolomite more comfortable to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Jammr. I got the "older" model with the charcoal rims. It weighed 43.1 lbs out of the box. I just weighed it yesterday at 40.6 lbs. That's just from losing the reflectors, the kickstand and drilling some holes. If I can get it down to 36-37 I would be happy with that. Even 38 would make me happy. Plus the ten I have dropped in the month that I've had this thing definitely helps as well. If I stay with the tube set up, the lighter tubes, new stem, and possibly new bars, will get me real close to the desired weight. Then I am done. My Trek 820 is 33 lbs. I will never get the speed comparable to my Trek. I don't care about that because the Malus is fast enough for me and the trade off for a few pounds and traction control is priceless. Funny thing is I ride on sand and snow as well. But I also ride it on all of the trails that I rode my Trek on and it has made me feel like a better rider. I know I am not, but I, confidently, do way more on it than I did on the Trek. The trails are way more fun now and I am on it almost every day. Still feeling sturdy and very smooth. Best investment I have ever made for my outdoor activity lifestyle. It has already paid for itself and then some.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/thumbs/MALUS.jpg
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50.../IMG_11621.jpg

what a difference a day makes. same spot. one day 65 degrees. the next 25

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder67 View Post
    Would you recommend tubeless for this bike. It just seems like it would save a lot of weight and seems to make sense for this bike. Has anyone done this. Pros and Cons. Thank you.
    IMO, I wouldn't bother on this bike. It can be done with enough effort and technique, but not worth it. The rims are kinda junk for a tubeless setup. Split tube with sill foam is the best way, but even that is a challenge. Even if you do get it setup, pretty high risk of burping the tire off the rim.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks Watts. That's why I was asking. There are some quality light weight tubes out there anyway. I am just trying to save some weight wherever possible. It wont matter much on my long rides in the pines. But I do ride some nice trails with some gnarl to them and I get this beast in the air sometimes. Just trying to make it as fun as possible without breaking the bank.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting a dolomite on amazon and there are SO MANY mongoose fat tire models. I'm not sure which to get. I see the Dolomite, Malus, and Hitch. There are also the Beast and Brutus but I don't want the foot brake. All of these models seem identical aside from the drivetrains.

I believe the Malus is the newer version of the dolomite and is lighter. The Hitch has different rims with the tube holes which probably makes it lighter than the Malus. I can't find any real info.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I just got a hitch on sale and it seems to be lighter than my Dolomite and ha drilled rims
    Dolomite 48lbs versus Hitch 42 lbs. Watch for a price rollback as I got the Hitch for $79 on a 12 hour rollback last Sunday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    duplicate post, sorry!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by plc1fp View Post
    I just got a hitch on sale and it seems to be lighter than my Dolomite and ha drilled rims
    Dolomite 48lbs versus Hitch 42 lbs. Watch for a price rollback as I got the Hitch for $79 on a 12 hour rollback last Sunday.
    $79!? Where?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Walmart last Sunday, but the rollback was short lived and the price returned to $249 a short time later. Someone posted the rollback price in the Fat Bike forum.

mtbr member
    Worth calling wallyworld to see if you can get that price. IMO, I'd rather have the hitch or malus because of the slightly longer fork. I thought the dolo's fork was too short for the mountain bike handling I prefer. It was fine on road/beach/flat stuff though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by joemartucci View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm looking at getting a dolomite on amazon and there are SO MANY mongoose fat tire models. I'm not sure which to get. I see the Dolomite, Malus, and Hitch. There are also the Beast and Brutus but I don't want the foot brake. All of these models seem identical aside from the drivetrains.

I believe the Malus is the newer version of the dolomite and is lighter. The Hitch has different rims with the tube holes which probably makes it lighter than the Malus. I can't find any real info.

Any recommendations?
    I have the Malus. I love it. It's also a few pounds lighter than the dolomite. Maybe a pound or two heavier than the Hitch. They are all good bikes. Great for the price. Read through this thread. It helped me tremendously. Take your time. Don't rush.i chose the Malus because it's lighter than the dolo and I was able to find a lot more info and reviews on it than the Hitch. The Hitch might be a great bike. Research. The dolo and Malus are no brainers. Only rider preference separates them IMHO. Good luck and have fun

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got both of my $79 Mongoose Hitch in today and weighed the one I assembled at 44lbs 10oz. I have a beast as well and it's surprising how much lighter the wheels on the hitch are now. Has to be a combo of the drilled rims and lighter tires. At 44.6lbs I'm pretty happy as I was expecting a 50lb bike.

Currently trying to set up the total garbage mechanical discs. These levers are total trash and will be upgraded first.

I don't think it will take much to get this down to 40lbs or less. Shoot, for $80 purchase price I can guilt free put $170 into it and still be at the low retail price of $249.

One getting built up for some simple trail riding with my 8 yr old and the other getting turned into a beach bike. Really happy I fell into that crazy stupid deal! I mean there is zero chance Walmart made anything on this bike selling it for $79 with free FedEx 2 day shipping from Florida to Delaware. The shipping on 50lbs bike box is at least that much by itself. Totally insane.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
    I got both of my $79 Mongoose Hitch in today and weighed the one I assembled at 44lbs 10oz. I have a beast as well and it's surprising how much lighter the wheels on the hitch are now. Has to be a combo of the drilled rims and lighter tires. At 44.6lbs I'm pretty happy as I was expecting a 50lb bike.

Currently trying to set up the total garbage mechanical discs. These levers are total trash and will be upgraded first.

I don't think it will take much to get this down to 40lbs or less. Shoot, for $80 purchase price I can guilt free put $170 into it and still be at the low retail price of $249.

One getting built up for some simple trail riding with my 8 yr old and the other getting turned into a beach bike. Really happy I fell into that crazy stupid deal! I mean there is zero chance Walmart made anything on this bike selling it for $79 with free FedEx 2 day shipping from Florida to Delaware. The shipping on 50lbs bike box is at least that much by itself. Totally insane.
    That is an awesome buy. I am so upset I missed it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have a mongoose malus bought it from Kmart done went through all components & made some upgrades & modifications I used an E-type front derailleur trigger shifters/brake levers combo Shimano ultus note the E-type front derailleur mounts on bottom bracket

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Weighed the one I assembled at 44lbs 10oz.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I thought they were a bit lighter than that. My Malus weighed 43.1 out of the box. I weighed it 3 times to be sure. Replace grip with Shimano trigger shift. Cut the chain by two links. Removed kickstand and reflectors. Replaced Falcon freewheel with Shimano Megarange(love it). Drilled out both rims. Now waiting on some ultra light tubes and a 45mm stem. I will weigh again after all is done and report.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Great night. 65 degrees

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Can't figure these pics out for the life of me. looks way better in my gallery

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Who knows something about momentum fat bikes found one for bout $560 at my local bike shop

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    This guy on eBay is selling a Malus with speed vee tires. People say it takes about 10lbs off the weight if upgrading the inner tube as well. He also upgraded to 21 speed with tourney shifters

Look at this on eBay mongoose Malus 21 Speed Vee Tires For Sand,asphalt,dirt | eBay
    Last edited by Scottster; 1 Week Ago at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Franklee
    Well there is a thread on this site. "Giant Fatty for $590". Not sure if you saw it yet. Six pages long, and seems to be still running. Check it out. Just read the whole thing. Extract the info you need and ignore the haters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
    This guy on eBay is selling a Malus with speed vee tires. People say it takes about 10lbs off the weight if upgrading the inner tube as well. He also upgraded to 21 speed with tourney shifters. 365$ price tag sounds a bit steep

Look at this on eBay mongoose Malus 21 Speed Vee Tires For Sand,asphalt,dirt | eBay
    I got the Malus for 209 to my door. That would put him at a $155 in upgrades. I doubt he put that much into it. He never intended to ride it. He only upgraded to get someone to bite. Don't bite. Buy stock and upgrade according to personal preference. 10 lbs? Hmmmm???

Just actually looked at the link. It's 385. and 21 days left, so it will be more. That's very high. Starts moving into a different price point. That's too high.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I got the Malus for 209 to my door. That would put him at a $155 in upgrades. I doubt he put that much into it. He never intended to ride it. He only upgraded to get someone to bite. Don't bite. Buy stock and upgrade according to personal preference. 10 lbs? Hmmmm???

Just actually looked at the link. It's 385. and 21 days left, so it will be more. That's very high. Starts moving into a different price point. That's too high.
    The link was just for reference. Trying to give people some ideas on removing weight. I doubt somebody would fly out to Puerto Rico for a Malus. Even if it were the most bad ass Malus on the planet.

Also, the seller is not making a profit. Looking at the upgrades done to the bike, he is trying to recover money invested.
    Tires 120$
    Crankset 40$
    Derailer, shifter, 21 speed upgrade. 50$
    Malus 205$

Total investment - 415$ plus tax and shipping if applicable

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I dropped a little over 7 lbs changing out tires and tubes. Well worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Trying to take weight off a bike can be some of the most expensive upgrades a person can do. If I wanted a light bike Motobecane or Gravity would be the way to go.

The dolomite has a sturdy steel frame. Thats why I bought it. These are great bikes to mount motors on. After spending 1200$, my Dolly is a Beasty 70lbs. 52v 1000w. Li-ion 35 mile range to cutoff voltage.

My Dolomite
    https://plus.google.com/114863097524180831430/posts/cnWSmdBKpwq

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The lbs I talked to bout using my E-TYPE front derailleur told me that it wouldn't work but I just proved wrong I'm also using a suntour triple I pulled from a Schwinn along with the seat post & handle bars

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I had to make a cable stop for the cable sleeve & use zip ties to hold it to the frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    I dropped a little over 7 lbs changing out tires and tubes. Well worth it.
    What tires and tubes did you get?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Beast in the wild.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

mtbr member
    Beast in the wild.
    Pixelly

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yup. Cant figure these damn pics.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I read the whole thread. My stepdad invited me to go with Florida with him and told me I could bring a bike. I've got a bullseye monster that the frame fork hubs and spokes are original on. I like it a lot and I'm glad it's where I started. I ordered a dolomite about halfway through my reading, got it Tuesday, and already had parts ready. I put on the lasco crank off the gravity with a raceface NW 32t and a 26t, and a trigger shifter/brake lever off of a diamondback hybrid. Aluminum bars, post, shorter stem. Tektro novela calipers off the gravity I never used. I rode it around with the stock tires and tubes before I swapped them with vee 8s and tubes from the gravity. I was actually pretty impressed with them despite their weight and I'll be bringing them with us in case conditions warrant them. I've never ridden anywhere but here in western Massachusetts and I'm pretty excited about riding fat in the warmth again. I really am very happy with the dolo. Once you're on it you don't notice heavy it is, it's just smiles. It definitely feels more like a cruiser compared to my gravity, which feels like a mountain bike with big tires. I don't know how much it weighs but it's much lighter than the dolo. We leave tomorrow, I can't wait. Knowing the dolo from the thread I'm bringing quite a few tools with me, but I feel like thanks to Canoe, watts888, AZINGER, momikey, and probably some others, I'm well prepared for whatever happens. Thanks to everyone, except the people that only asked about cranksets. I'm pretty sure that was asked on every page. Oh and I thought about trying the BC63L BB out of the gravity, but the spindle was much shorter, and I had some sunlite bearings unused from something else, so I greased it up and put those in. Spins fine for now. Has anyone actually bent their frame for a 170 rear end? I've got the 50mm rims that came on the gravity(way back) and was thinking they'd be great for summer, and casette and nonbendy axle. And they tubeless ok. I don't know if I can post pictures but it pretty much looks like everyone else's dolo. Thanks again everyone I learned a lot! Jacob

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by drdave81 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&pldnSite=1

This is the one that Watts linked a page or two back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the skewer I used (the longer one of course).
    I was wondering the sizes of front and back for Malus? Thoughts are running around my head for quick release.

mtbr member
    I was wondering the sizes of front and back for Malus? Thoughts are running around my head for quick release.
    Same as dolo. 135mm front, 190mm rear. QR up front is super easy. Any rear mountain bike axle and QR will work. The rear? keep it as the 190mm threaded or buy a whole new wheel. The hassle of finding a 190mm QR axle and skewer isn't worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polycrono View Post
    Has anyone actually bent their frame for a 170 rear end? I've got the 50mm rims that came on the gravity(way back) and was thinking they'd be great for summer, and casette and nonbendy axle.
    I don't remember hearing anybody doing it on this post, but it's a steel frame. You're not going to hurt it. Just have to be careful when bending it to go a little at a time to make sure both sides come in evenly. Follow sheldon brown's procedure for bending a steel frame and it's easy. It's only 1cm per side, so it won't take much. And re-align the dropouts afterwards. Easy with a crescent wrench and some bolts.

I was going to do it, but I ended up buying a BD boris instead of a wheelset. For my height, the dolo was just too short. Fun, but short.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Same as dolo. 135mm front, 190mm rear. QR up front is super easy. Any rear mountain bike axle and QR will work. The rear? keep it as the 190mm threaded or buy a whole new wheel. The hassle of finding a 190mm QR axle and skewer isn't worth it.
    Yes. I committed the cardinal sin on this thread. I asked before I read. I saw your post on page 51 regarding someone with a bent axle fix solution and it had the info there. In the process I found this quote referring to Polycrono's question.

"Bends easily without reducing strength and Sheldon Brown did a great writeup on how to bend a steel frame and restraighten the drop outs. And 170mm hubs with 36 spoke holes are much easier to find."

Next time I will read before I ask. Most of the questions have an answer somewhere in here.
    Thanks Watts

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I saw that posted many times, just wondered if anyone had done it here. Maybe I'll be the first. After Florida.

Edit: I guess if someone here had done it I would have read about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Polycrono View Post
    I read the whole thread. My stepdad invited me to go with Florida with him and told me I could bring a bike. I've got a bullseye monster that the frame fork hubs and spokes are original on. I like it a lot and I'm glad it's where I started. I ordered a dolomite about halfway through my reading, got it Tuesday, and already had parts ready. I put on the lasco crank off the gravity with a raceface NW 32t and a 26t, and a trigger shifter/brake lever off of a diamondback hybrid. Aluminum bars, post, shorter stem. Tektro novela calipers off the gravity I never used. I rode it around with the stock tires and tubes before I swapped them with vee 8s and tubes from the gravity. I was actually pretty impressed with them despite their weight and I'll be bringing them with us in case conditions warrant them. I've never ridden anywhere but here in western Massachusetts and I'm pretty excited about riding fat in the warmth again. I really am very happy with the dolo. Once you're on it you don't notice heavy it is, it's just smiles. It definitely feels more like a cruiser compared to my gravity, which feels like a mountain bike with big tires. I don't know how much it weighs but it's much lighter than the dolo. We leave tomorrow, I can't wait. Knowing the dolo from the thread I'm bringing quite a few tools with me, but I feel like thanks to Canoe, watts888, AZINGER, momikey, and probably some others, I'm well prepared for whatever happens. Thanks to everyone, except the people that only asked about cranksets. I'm pretty sure that was asked on every page. Oh and I thought about trying the BC63L BB out of the gravity, but the spindle was much shorter, and I had some sunlite bearings unused from something else, so I greased it up and put those in. Spins fine for now. Has anyone actually bent their frame for a 170 rear end? I've got the 50mm rims that came on the gravity(way back) and was thinking they'd be great for summer, and casette and nonbendy axle. And they tubeless ok. I don't know if I can post pictures but it pretty much looks like everyone else's dolo. Thanks again everyone I learned a lot! Jacob
    Good luck with the trip, glad you like the bike even with owning a Gravity BEM. Sounds like you can turn a wrench so nothing on this bike should be impossible. Post pics of it when you get down there. Mine is apples to oranges with my FS mountain bike but damn the dolo can climb up anything with the right gearing and enough leg muscle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pathfinder, the only thing worse than your pics are your links!!!

Just kidding,

but nothing is working!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you delete the luck it works. Only problem with that is it only describes spreading the triangle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post

Just kidding,

but nothing is working!
    Oh, happy times. Tears are coming out of my eyes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Desert night ride...Dolo style.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-20170214_183522-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Just kidding,

but nothing is working!
    I can build a house(I know because I have before). I can build a bike(Well I am learning to now anyway)... But my computer skills suck...Always have and always will.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Pathfinder, the only thing worse than your pics are your links!!! Just kidding, but nothing is working!
    http://ficdn.mtbr.com/images/attach/...attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-05.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-nightride1.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-img_1162.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-drilled.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-malus.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Much better. Just some of my many adventures on the Trek and the Malus.
    http://ficdn.mtbr.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-moonlight2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I take it all back!

Bike looks good too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm

Thanks. Still a work in progress. Not because it needs much more work, but because this is becoming addictive very quickly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-img_1370.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-img_1682.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    been following this thread, First off i want to start by saying my go to ride is my 2013 steel kona honzo that i ride and know i can throw pretty much what ever my body will take. some free ride but mostly all mountain type stuff and love the bike. i say this due to my expectations are low on the dolo. Living in Mass not far from cape cod , id like to use bike as well for fishing along the canal with a rack on back for rod holder .

i ordered a dolo from walmart for 200 $ shipped to my door coiming this week coming , plans are to put bike together and go weight it on a legit bike scale locally stock.

my budget on this thing total will be 350 $ range total with bike , change tubes and tires , shifter ect . Then see the difference in weight

i have a bunch of spare parts from other bikes as well that i will see what i can use , i even have a spare set of bb5 brakes off an older bike i had
    2013 Kona honzo
    2013 Gt la bomba 2.0
    2011 Specilized rock hopper
    Mongoose dolomite - why i dont know