Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Stem backwards. My present bike is up and as far back as it will go. Not upright enough. Neck pain and pressure on old wrists. The stem trick may be my salvation. Dolomite on the way and I will definitely reverse the stem. Genius. Thanks!!! My riding will be far more enjoyable now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1324 View Post
    ... Not upright enough. Neck pain and pressure on old wrists. The stem trick may be my salvation. ...
    Or BMX bars.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Do find that list of things to grease, etc., preferably before you ride it to maximize bearing life.

mtbr member
    Stem backwards. My present bike is up and as far back as it will go. Not upright enough. Neck pain and pressure on old wrists. The stem trick may be my salvation. Dolomite on the way and I will definitely reverse the stem. Genius. Thanks!!! My riding will be far more enjoyable now.
    Check out this or search for adjustable bike stem. Just make sure you get rize stem size. Amazon.com : Ritchey Adjustable 31.8 100mm Black Road Stem : Bike Stems And Parts : Sports & Outdoors

Name:  31kA-fAL7DL.jpg
Views: 3005
Size:  11.3 KB
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Got it.
    Assembled.
    First ride.

Attachment 875305

(sorry the stem is 180 out, I have back problems)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBikeNoob View Post
    Check out this or search for adjustable bike stem. Just make sure you get rize stem size. Amazon.com : Ritchey Adjustable 31.8 100mm Black Road Stem : Bike Stems And Parts : Sports & Outdoors

Name:  31kA-fAL7DL.jpg
Views: 3005
Size:  11.3 KB
    Jamis has adjustable stem. Still not enough. Reversal the trick. On the dolo, if stem reversed, how does it affect riding characteristics? Or does it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    what valve stem size and style are on the dolomite.?

mtbr member
    You might try out some handlebars like the On One Marys. On-One Mary Handlebar I knew before I got my Fatty that them flat wide strait bars had to go. On this bike I was amazed at the difference it made. All my bikes have similar bars.

2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    on one tires black 20% off

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got it.
    Assembled.
    First ride.

Attachment 875305

An example from March 2014.
    The other kind of "Clownshoe" now available.
    That site had them in black (one link/part listing) but are sold out as I write this, or in colors (another link/part listing; currently green & pink in stock).

A US link, but more $.
    Colored On One Floaters
    just ordered 2 tires. 90 bucks shipped. Use paypal

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got it.
    Assembled.
    First ride.

Attachment 875305

from UK site

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    what size tire tube

mtbr member
    what size tire tube
    If you want to save weight, this is what I use:
    Kenda Superlight 26" x 2 4 2 7" 32 mm Presta Valve Mountain Bike Inner Tube | eBay
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...On the dolo, if stem reversed, how does it affect riding characteristics? Or does it?
    When stock is reversed, the head tube angle results in the stem going downwards, feeling somewhat wrong, but it's livable. With an adjustable stem (or a raised stem), you can raise it up and it feels right again.
    I haven't tried the BMX bars with the stock stem, but I'd expect you can have the stem out front and be fine. And the BMX is an ~8" rise, so you've got a lot to play with.

Tube & rim opening are schrader.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Replaced the stock bottom bracket bearings. ...I had a spare set of new cups & bearings sitting around for the Beast. They fit the Dolo.
    YST Sealed BSA Cupset with Bearings (for under $10).
    (Note that this is dry bearings in a race that you will have to grease. "Sealed" refers to the rubber seal that encompasses the axle shaft.)
    Name:  BB308F10.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  14.6 KB
    Looks like we may have an alternate soon, in a Sealed Cartridge Bearing at 100mm.
    VP Components VP-BC63
    Expected to be in the $20 range.
    VP Components ? 100mm Square Taper Bottom Bracket | FAT-BIKE.COM
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-vp-components-square-taper-100mm-bb-cartridge-vp-bc63.jpg

UPDATE: from the distributor: J&B Importers stocks it which means most every bikeshop in America has access to special order one.

UPDATE: 2014-08-15
    Quote Originally Posted by VP-USA
    Currently: The BC-63 is available in 11 sizes between 137.5mm and 164mm. They skip every 2-3mm just like 68/73mm shell but nothing even close to the 189mm you are looking for.
    Last edited by Canoe; 08-15-2014 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    I hope that my lbs will stock that bottom bracket> I like the Idea of a sealed bb for
    my dolomite. Found some gently used Vee Mission tires at my lbs as well as some surly tires for my son's brutus,. It cost me for all four tires and two tubes and mounting right at eighty dollars. The tires were swapped for some "city slicks" so they could use their bikes solely as a commuter. the missions should run real nice on my Dolomite. I haven't had a chance to ride since Monday because I spent Monday and Tuesday in the hospital due to a minor malfunction of my defib in my chest. Monday it misfired and knocked me back into my chair. My cardiologist -had the thing adjusted and now I am fine. Tomorrow I will start riding again. BTW I also picked up a new saddle from the spare parts bin five bucks and a megarange f0r eight,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    I hope that my lbs will stock that bottom bracket...
    They're just out.
    Special order by your LBS from J&B Importers. As of this afternoon, not even listed on their web site yet.

...minor malfunction of my defib in my chest. Monday it misfired and knocked me back into my chair. My cardiologist -had the thing adjusted ... I also picked up a new saddle from the spare parts bin five bucks and a megarange f0r eight,
    misfired and knocked you back into a chair?
    that's what they call minor?
    (where'd they get it, the same place you got the saddle and the megarange?)
    I hope they had an awfully good explanation on why it happened and why it won't happen again.
    Sure don't want that happening while you're riding!

mtbr member
    Canoe-
    My defib is a combo unit With a pace maker too. It is 5 years old and due for a battery replacement and Upgrade. the Doc explained that I was the unlucky recipient of a shock, because the battery is almost gone and they are going to replace it next Monday. I wonder who built it Cateye maybe Or Bell? Lol or maybe some other discount bike place. Ands I do thank you for your comments. they made me laugh.

mtbr member
    the defib/pacemaker misread my heart rythnms.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... I wonder who built it Cateye maybe Or Bell? Lol or maybe some other discount bike place. ...
    As long as it wasn't by Mongoose,
    or something they got from Walmart...

mtbr member
    Lol, or worse yet kmart. by the way academy sports has dolomites for $249.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Brutus for my son. It was 199 plus shipping. He saw a picture of it and said it looked like a bee. at our cabin it will work great on the gravel and dirt roads out there

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just ordered a Brutus for my son...
    The one speed, coaster brake, 26" rims, same as the Beast?
    Mongoose Beast review etc.... Walmart Fatty!

Compare to the Dolo here The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

And here you have a Massif, Dozer/Beast/Brutus and a Dolomite. DOLOMITE GALLERY | Rat Rod Bikes

He could certainly learn a lot if he start modifying it... but the cost quickly approaches a Dolo.
    Mongoose Beast modifications

For older kids, and some adults, some are starting with the Massif (20" rims, disc brakes, 7 speed) and building up.
    Massif 20" Fatbike

mtbr member

Son's Brutus

Canoe:
    Thanks for your input. The main reason we are getting him a single speed coater brake Brutus is that he doesn't have the motor skills to activate the hand brakes or shifters. He was born with autism and motor skill challenges. He is 28 almost 29 and loves to ride bikes. He has a hand me down mongoose bmx bike but it's way too small.

My Bikes: a $7 Schwinn phantom, Trek Marin single speed and a '67 Schwinn road bike
    Last edited by oldbear52; 07-16-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: wrong year on bike

mtbr member
    Its a 1947 Phantom with the original springer fork and stripped of fenders rear rack and tank

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... he doesn't have the motor skills to activate the hand brakes or shifters...
    Understood.
    If he needs easier pedaling, you can go for a larger gear at the rear. You might have to file the dropouts to let the axle forward a tiny bit (1/8") with the stock chain.

It should be the same stock tire as the Dolo, but if you need to limit his speed, remember to let some air out of the tires. A friend controls the top speed of her child's bike that way. If he can handle more speed, you know about 120 tpi tires and a lighter tube for an easier roll, and an appropriate rear gear.

For another with steering challenges, we made that more stable for that child's needs with careful selection of the pressure in the front tire. For another, a bike with both a rear lever activated rim brake with coaster brake so he could "learn". He finally was using only the lever brake, so he "graduated" to a kids mountain with levers for front & rear. Watching closely, as he's still coasting and delaying while he looks to see which lever(s) as he's used to one.
    Last edited by Canoe; 07-16-2014 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Canoe:
    He and I went for as ride and he used the Phantom. I rode the Dolo With the new tires(The surly Larry 3.8)) He worked the brakes well and It was just an around the block ride to see how he could handle a bigger bike. Both of us did well. we made three laps , about three miles of sidewalk/path path. He did put his feet down but by the middle of lap two he was using his feet on the coaster brakes. He is 5'9" and weighs 160. I am just waiting for the bike to arrive for him. they say monday next week.

mtbr member
    is anyone having trouble with the stock Shimano Tourney derailleur's inability to hold the chain on the 34t cog?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I missed this earlier
    Mongoose Argus - Alloy Fat Bike
    2◊10 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, 100mm cutout rims, 4″ Vee Mission tires, 0 stack headset, three sizes (SM, MD, LG), ~34.35 lbs.
    $999
    First Look: 2015 Mongoose Argus ‚Äď alloy framed fat bike | Mountain Bike Review

Another site says they'll be selling direct to the consumer.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-mongoose-argus-fat-bike-2014-2015.jpg

p.s.
    (I've no issues yet with the 34T.)

mtbr member
    I saw the thread for it too.....maybe when I do my taxes I will be able to afford one. I had to tinker with the adjustment but it works fine I haven't had a use for the 34t. as far as the Argus goes I hope that it is as good as they say the videos were ok. I will probably keep the Dolomite for hauling groceries

mtbr member
    Canoe - As far as the new mongoose goes I wonder just who will handle them? LBS? Or mail order direct from Pacific?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mongoose.com
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Thanks skota. Canoe: I finally got the the tire pressure figured out 10psi for all around riding. My son needs a little less like 8psi. We went for a ride this afternoon. Went to national forest recreation area and rode for a hour and a half. a few climbs and a lot of loose gravel alongside a creek. I was pretty tired when I got home and so was my daughter. Weight loss for the week two pounds (289). Found out that the creek is a blue ribbon trout area so we are planning to bring the trailer and our fly fishing gear Saturday. (and a little beer for a treat after we ride.

mtbr member
    By the way UPS brought my son's bike toady. After fifteen minute of assembly he rode around the apartment. Gonna post some pics as soon as my daughter retrieves her camera from her storage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    just put mine together and went for a ride. Very flat canal trail. Didnt use 34 gear til the end, going up hill in parking lot. It jumped off. Just wanted to see what bike was like before I start with the improvements. Didn't even check tire pressure. Didn't look low. What a beast. Wore me out. With seat at right height, front bars sucked. Too low for me. Earlier recommended on-one Marys a definite thought. Definitely need something with a longer tube. Don't think just reversing the stem will help or an adjustable. That thing needs to come up and hands back. Got the new megarange. Waiting for new bearings and other stuff. Will then go to LBS and get tuned. Hopefully no shift issues then. Thumb shifter has arrived. Tires on the way in August. Not many decent mid drive options for this bike. 100mm BB eliminates the ones I really wanted. Oh well. Keep searching

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just put mine together ... Didnt use 34 gear til the end, ... It jumped off.
    If it's stock, the lowest is 28T. Some megarange go to 34T.
    Cables may need adjusting, and it's common for cables to stretch with initial use and need readjusting.

> Didn't even check tire pressure. Didn't look low.
    Dolos usually arrive over inflated. For fat bikes, you adjust the tire pressure for the best ride on the terrain you're on. Many fat bike newbies ride their fat bikes with way too much psi.

Different tire pressure can make for a very different ride.
    You'll have to play around with the PSI to find what works for you. Try from six to 15 PSI, by 1 lbs steps. Then once you're close to what you like, vary by 1/2 lbs. steps.
    Different ground = different PSI.
    > front bars sucked. Too low for me.
    A number of bars possible. As are adjustable stems. And there's always BMX bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just started looking into front suspension forks for my Dolo. Won't be doing anything extreme on the bike. Can't seem to find anything reasonably priced yet. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just started looking into front suspension forks for my Dolo. Won't be doing anything extreme on the bike. ...
    Start with what would you be doing with a Dolo that you need more front suspension beyond what a front fat provides?

Talking front suspension has you sounding like you're heading beyond the few basic parts that improve one's Dolo experience (plus paying a LBS to do it?) and into bigger bucks for suspension forks that may cost more than everything else so far.
    You could quickly find yourself in territory where having spent that total money on a better bike to start with, would give you much more bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i had no idea how expensive they are. I guess there is no such bird as an inexpensive suspension fork. not much of a used bike or parts in my area either.I think they haven't been making them for fattys very long either. oh well. It was just an idea
    Got it.
    Assembled.
    First ride.

Attachment 875305

mtbr member
    i had no idea how expensive they are. I guess there is no such bird as an inexpensive suspension fork. not much of a used bike or parts in my area either.I think they haven't been making them for fattys very long either. oh well. It was just an idea
    I believe the Rockshox Bluto just came out earlier this year....only about $650. Cheapest bike that comes with one is the Sturgis Bullet Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    I found that the Fat tires more than make up for the lack of a suspension fork. Is the geometry of the Dolomite suitable for a suspension for k in the first place? Or is that rock shock made to work on a Dolomite?
    My dolomite is plenty cushy for me,

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I found that the Fat tires more than make up for the lack of a suspension fork. Is the geometry of the Dolomite suitable for a suspension for k in the first place? Or is that rock shock made to work on a Dolomite?
    My dolomite is plenty cushy for me,
    Good questions. I need to play with air pressures more. And get more seat time before I think about it any more. Upgrades tomorrow except new tires. At some point it will become electric. Then I may have to think about it again.

29ers Forever
    Mongoose Argus - Alloy Fat Bike
    2◊10 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, 100mm cutout rims, 4″ Vee Mission tires, 0 stack headset, three sizes (SM, MD, LG), ~34.35 lbs.
    $999
    First Look: 2015 Mongoose Argus ‚Äď alloy framed fat bike | Mountain Bike Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mongoose-Argus-fat-bike-2014-2015.jpg 
Views:	7342 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	908709
    That's a big box brand for you. They still go with $999 instead of $1000.

mtbr member
    Gearing, I need to know about the low range Ö. I do a lot of riding on the beach and now I'm towing this trailer using beast wheels. I'm in the first gear , the granny gear a lot of the time on the trek bike, but then the second gear is quite a jump . from what I saw the spacing of the gears is pretty close? Is is low enough for me? could I change out the front chain ring to get me into a better lower range?

also, I don't see any fat bike on their website? how many gears does this have? is it a x1 or x2 on the front?

yeah, I'm in the market for a fat bike to replace that trek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-img_4891.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    Gearing, I need to know about the low range Ö. I do a lot of riding on the beach and now I'm towing this trailer using beast wheels. I'm in the first gear , the granny gear a lot of the time on the trek bike, but then the second gear is quite a jump . from what I saw the spacing of the gears is pretty close? Is is low enough for me? could I change out the front chain ring to get me into a better lower range?

also, I don't see any fat bike on their website? how many gears does this have? is it a x1 or x2 on the front?

yeah, I'm in the market for a fat bike to replace that trek.
    The Argus isn't out yet. Coming.

You can use lower teeth count chainrings and get into easier pedaling.
    Same for larger rears.

To compare gears from one bike to another, use Gear Inches. If you're in your granny you know how that feels. Same for your high gear. Calculate what those are in Gear Inches, then if you calculate Gear Inches for bike's you're looking at (or new components for your drive), you have an idea what to expect. For example, knowing all the gears lets you know they'll be a jump between the granny and the next one, or is the lowest just very low and the rest spaced evenly from there.

Back in this thread, there are a number of posts showing the stock gearing of the Dolo vs. some easy and cheap upgrades of the freewheel and chainrings, in gear inches. There's even making a custom stack freewheel so there's useful gears without big jumps.

If you measure the diameter of your tire and give me the count of the teeth on the front chainring, and the gears on the back, I'll give you the gear inches for you.
    Or try here Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Easy by hand
    Gear inches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you can incorporate the crank arm length to get a Gain Ratio to compare the whole of the mechanical advantage from one setup to another.
    Gain Ratios--A New Way to Designate Bicycle Gears

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Stem raiser and short adjustable stem ordered from Amazon. This should get the bar up and back and may allow for a variety of handle par choices with this greater adjustability

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    what type of spray paint should be used if I paint the handle bars

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone know what the stock crank arm length is?

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Byookanun View Post
    Does anyone know what the stock crank arm length is?

pretty sure its at 170 x36T

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    Looks like we may have an alternate soon, in a Sealed Cartridge Bearing at 100mm.
    VP Components VP-BC63
    Expected to be in the $20 range.
    VP Components ? 100mm Square Taper Bottom Bracket | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VP Components square taper 100mm BB cartridge VP-BC63.jpg 
Views:	1216 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	908318

UPDATE: from the distributor: J&B Importers stocks it which means most every bikeshop in America has access to special order one.
    Any word on the spindle length of this...will it be wide enough for a 190 rear

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Well your reason was flawed. But if you don't want one .. that's different. You read me wrong. I have no problem with you enjoying whatever you buy, but there are those reading these forums looking for advice or just trying to figure which way to go. To infer that fat bikes are just good for winter just isn't so. To each their own .. but lets be honest what fat bikes can do.
    ..just thought Iíd comment on what I highlighted in blue.

You come off as a dick who feels everyone should buy a piggy because YOU feel itís the best thing in the universe.

Itís clear there are better options out there. But you take it to a level of pure annoyance. Any advice you have posted I will read it and disregard because youíre clearly ignorant when it comes to being helpful.

Reason for my post here: I own both the Dolomite & Beast and before I even had either bike I lurked around this forum reading what helpful posts others provided.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

That was posted 4 months ago
    By the way, she doesn't have a dick

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am a new Dolomite owner. Owned the Mongoose Beast for nearly two months now. The Dolomite for a week. Iím unsure which one I like better.. but I will say the Dolomite looks like a great bike and itís build quality is much higher than the Beast. Should fit my needs quite well roaming the neighborhood and hauling back beer to the house!

Best part.. I paid $225 for it at walmart, new (not a returned item). Down side is I had to take a 7hr round trip to go pick it up.
    I was going to order online but if I didnít like it, mailing it back is a pain in the ass. Walmart already sent me a replacement beast due to bent rims on the first one sent. 2nd unit is perfect but you canít simply return online products to local stores

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    That was posted 4 months ago
    By the way, she doesn't have a dick

Pedaling
    I know it was 4 months ago. But Iíve read other posts on this forum from the same member. If not a dick then sounds like a *****. Take it or leave it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm shopping for my 1st Fat Bike and at I was going to pass on this bike and move on to something nicer but now I'm thinking maybe this bike isn't all that bad. I mean look how many $1,000 or more bikes have mechanical brakes vs hydraulic. Are those bikes really worth the extra money. I'd love a full suspension but $4,000 for the Bucksaw is too high for me. I only make $35,000 so throwing 11.5% percent of an entire years wages at a bicycle is not going to happen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well the key is what exactly are you buying the bike for??

I could afford a $3k fat tire bike but thatís like me buying a sports car - Iíd never use it for itís reason of life.

Thatís why I feel so great about the Beast and Dolomite Looks cool. Works just fine. And fits the needs of just staying active and getting outside around my neighborhood.

..now I wouldnít go jumping dirt ramps or playing chicken with trees out in the woods on these bikes!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone have any pics of how the front chainring attaches to the crankarm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    and can another chain ring be added?
    To the original crankset? No.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any pics of how the front chainring attaches to the crankarm?
    and can another chain ring be added?

mtbr member
    anyone ride this bike thru deep soft sand yet? are the gears low enough?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    anyone ride this bike thru deep soft sand yet? are the gears low enough?
    They are not low enough.

mtbr member
    My current (loaner) bike has a mega range on it. I found it mentioned (somewhere) that it works on the Dolo too? Is this it? Amazon.com : Shimano 7 Speed Freewheel, 14-34, MegaRange : Bike Cassettes And Freewheels : Sports & Outdoors

Bicycles parts I don't know too much about, off road motorcycles I am much better at ÖÖ I think I can get the hang of all this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I donít know much about parts either..

I assume this is for the rear??

mtbr member
    My current (loaner) bike has a mega range on it. I found it mentioned (somewhere) that it works on the Dolo too? Is this it? Amazon.com : Shimano 7 Speed Freewheel, 14-34, MegaRange : Bike Cassettes And Freewheels : Sports & Outdoors
    That's the one I put on my Dolo (I really like it), I also bought a Park Tool FR-1 to remove the stock freewheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _flatline_ View Post
    That's the one I put on my Dolo (I really like it), I also bought a Park Tool FR-1 to remove the stock freewheel.
    Here's a pic of it. yes, it goes on the back. Now if I can find out how to put a two ring on the front then I'd be golden.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Yep, that's the one I put on mine.

I haven't replaced the front chain ring (yet), maybe in the future.
    I'll have to check out You Tube for some how to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    One concern I'd like to point out is the tire popping out of the rim.
    On the beast the front tire popped out a few hours after riding. It was parked and just blew out on the front. So bad it locked up the front. Super glad I want riding cause im sure I would have flipped. After the lbs greased my hubs and seated the tries it hasn't happened again..

Then with the dolomite the rear tire popped out at slow speeds about a mile from home. Let air out and tried to pop it back in with no luck. So it was a long walk home.

Needless to say I don't feel safe going fast on these but do trust em to roam slow

mtbr member
    Mongoose dolomite at the beach - YouTube
    here's a youtube of a Dolo in sand, and he's having to stand on it.

mtbr member
    That's me riding in the sand... The bike really needs a Megarange freewheel. But that video was shot after a 6 mile ride, all in the sand, and several times in the water up to the middle if the wheels, So I was pretty tired.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaBum View Post
    One concern I'd like to point out is the tire popping out of the rim. ...After the lbs greased my hubs and seated the tries it hasn't happened again...
    Too many people riding these with the tire pressure they arrive with. Check your tire pressure.

Different, dual or triple front?
    Others have covered in this thread what they did. Check the posts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Too many people riding these with the tire pressure they arrive with. Check your tire pressure.

Different, dual or triple front?
    Others have covered in this thread what they did. Check the posts.
    Regarding the tire pressure, they came with about 5psi on both bikes. The beast when I got it I pressured up to I think 25 psi. Now I have them both at a solid 20 psi and seems to be fairly tight and roll well.

The dolomite I pumped to 20 psi as it was also sitting at 5psi at the store. I did seat the tire to make it even all around. I figure I go slow the first couple weeks on em. Plus I am waiting for my fat ass seat to come in. The stock seat is far too skinny for my taste!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oops View Post
    Any word on the spindle length of this...will it be wide enough for a 190 rear
    I got this. All I got.
    Quote Originally Posted by VP
    ...BC-73 bottombracket in 100mm shell width. To my knowledge none of our US distributors have purchased any in part because those bikes are still new for the most part and its hard to determine the proper specs for service items that last as long as a BB. Also the axle lengths are 137.5, 140 142, 143, 145, 147, 149.5, 151.5, 153, 154.5, & 164.
    UPDATE: 2014-08-15
    Quote Originally Posted by VP-USA
    Currently: The BC-63 is available in 11 sizes between 137.5mm and 164mm. They skip every 2-3mm just like 68/73mm shelld but nothing even close to the 189mm you are looking for.
    Last edited by Canoe; 08-15-2014 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... I was going to order online but if I didnít like it, mailing it back is a pain in the ass....2nd unit is perfect but you canít simply return online products to local stores...
    Or you can order online with delivery to a local store for you to pickup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So who is going to be the first person with a Mongoose Argus!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
    I doubt it will sell like the Dolomite. $1,000 can get you a bike with a better reputation. That kinda like Ford saying the base package Focus will be $45,000 next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
    not for that price!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I doubt it will sell like the Dolomite. $1,000 can get you a bike with a better reputation. That kinda like Ford saying the base package Focus will be $45,000 next year.
    I wholly concur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Not for $1000! I am not a serious rider to justify that kind of cash!

mtbr member

Are you serious on that price? $1k? No way

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone know the axle nut size...of the Dolomite?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Considering the dolomite right now, but want to know if anyone is putting some real distance on this thing and how it is holding up. Also is there anyone around 6 foot tall that is able to fit this bike correctly after making some adjustments. I did see "The Beast" model at Walmart and being 6 foot, the frame felt too small, maybe like a 16-18 inch which always feels small for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureRider View Post
    Considering the dolomite right now, but want to know if anyone is putting some real distance on this thing and how it is holding up. Also is there anyone around 6 foot tall that is able to fit this bike correctly after making some adjustments. I did see "The Beast" model at Walmart and being 6 foot, the frame felt too small, maybe like a 16-18 inch which always feels small for me.
    I am 6í4 and I find both bikes comfortable however I just roam the neighborhood so Iím not doing much when it comes to being awesome.

Being I own both bikes.. I like both equally the same in terms of comfort. The beast is a slow rider and the frame fits me with about 8Ē of lift on the seat.

The Dolomite is also comfortable however I will be buying a set of BMX handlebars like the ones found on the Beast. The handlebars sit a bit low for my taste..

I have about 20 miles on my Beast so far.

About 5 miles on the Dolomite.

The Dolomite feels far more solid than the Beast in terms of quality and assembly. Other than a loose set of range gears (whatever you guys call em around here) the Dolomite is a great bike and offers great value for the price of $225 I paid in store a couple weeks ago!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Does anyone know the axle nut size...of the Dolomite?
    Iím a ďnoobĒ so I am just going to assume you mean the nut that holds the wheel/hub to the frame of the bike.

Itís a 15mm socket (just verified now)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    I tried to go where "the deer (but no antelope) play" - was a "no-go" for the sage-brushy/rocky/steep stuff... I ended up staying on roads & an ATV track for the ride. About 45 degrees F. Rainy & sleety ("graupel" here in Missoula...) Tires were at about 16 PSI. Saw a fox, several mule deer, ospreys & hawks. Some Bob-whites... Sunny when I started but the left side of my head was numb by the time I got home - wind from the SW & rainy...
    Attachment 880483I couldn't make any headway as there were too many rocks hidden in the grass. Also it was real steep here. (I needed a lower gear yet than what I had with the Shimano Magarange (13-34) freewheel and the 28-38-48 front chain-rings.) I was trying to follow the mule-deer & elk trails on this hillside near Iron Cap on the east side of the Bitterroot Valley.
    Attachment 880484Looking South over Iron Cap. About 45 degrees F, windy with mixed rain and sleet ("graupel" here near Missoula, MT). I'm panning left to right in the following pics...
    Attachment 880485Now looking S, SW over Iron Cap.Attachment 880486Looking west
    Attachment 880487 Now oriented North West... that's the "Big Ditch" at the bottom of the pic. Irrigation system on the East side of the valley - dry this time of year.
    Attachment 880488 Looking East toward the Sapphire Mountains... tires for this ride were at 16 PSI. (contributed to my issues on the rocky terrain - wanted to "bounce" off rather than conform & climb over!)
    Attachment 880489 Looking East down the Maintenance road along the irrigation ditch (gated road, so no vehicular traffic...)
    Attachment 880490 End of ride. It was too wet to shear any more sheep today - so "played hooky" while the wife was in town w/her mom. Cold, hot & sweaty - all at one time! (My wife asks me "Why is this 'fun?!?'")
    I just wanted to post up and say I truly enjoyed your photos that you posted! Looked like an awesome ride! (Iím more of an ďactiveĒ person when rain/clouds lurk the sky above me).

Thanks for postings your photos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureRider View Post
    I am 5 foot 8. This cock pit way to stetched out for me. When seat at right height has me very far forward. You probably have longer arms. I want cruiser to easier MTB trails. Getting the things already suggested. You are going to have to make this cockpit your own. I have ordered a ste raiser and a short adjustable stem. I want a 45 degree sweep trekking bar as well. With some rise. Jones loop looks awesome except price. New to all this, but seems getting the cockpit right and the already mentioned upgrades is key. Cockpit key!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am 6í4 and I find both bikes comfortable however I just roam the neighborhood so Iím not doing much when it comes to being awesome.

Being I own both bikes.. I like both equally the same in terms of comfort. The beast is a slow rider and the frame fits me with about 8Ē of lift on the seat.

The Dolomite is also comfortable however I will be buying a set of BMX handlebars like the ones found on the Beast. The handlebars sit a bit low for my taste..

I have about 20 miles on my Beast so far.

About 5 miles on the Dolomite.

The Dolomite feels far more solid than the Beast in terms of quality and assembly. Other than a loose set of range gears (whatever you guys call em around here) the Dolomite is a great bike and offers great value for the price of $225 I paid in store a couple weeks ago!

I want you to tour on your dolamite for 400 miles along the CA coast, and tell me how everything goes. Take video, pictures, and a daily diary for the bicycle blog you will create. Document which parts fail and what you replaced them with. I would also like to see pictures of the tire tread after those 400 miles. Travel light...frame bag, rollable tent up front, and the large touring compression rear saddle bag for the rear.

Tips would be to bring rema vulcanizing fluid and rema patches for flats and a bicycle specific multi-tool. Do this, and tell me after this journey that you wouldn't do it again to prove that you are not serious about riding.
    ------

Or don't. Any way that dolamite does look slick. Looks like you need more seat post. Definitely look into a stem riser to get those bars higher as well if you do decide to take some longer trips here and there perhaps. This bike would be way too small for me, as I hear it would be about a 17.5 inch frame.

mtbr member
    Jason,
    Got any pics of your Dolomite to share?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Would someone please supply the Dolomite fork length in mm? Can't seem to find this info. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    also the rake in mm. I called Pacific Cycles. No help. Google no help either.

mtbr member
    I finally got a chance to install the replacement seat, adj.stem and trekking bar today.
    Took a little "shakedown" ride and must say I like the more upright position very comfortable.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo1.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo4.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo6.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo3.jpg

I'll put in a few miles tomorrow to acquaint myself with the trekking bar configuration.
    The mods came in at around $100.
    Last edited by _flatline_; 07-30-2014 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I need to replace my rear gears. Not sure what you guys call them but the 7 speed gear set is loose and clunks when peddling

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    These are on Target.com for $249.99 w/ shipping in stock last night. I just about got one on impulse since they are harder to come by at that price by then after thinking about how dumb it is that its a one size frame and the fact that it needs $500 in upgrades I figured I'd hold out for something else. Anyway they were in stock if anyone wants one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I want to change out the crankset. I know the shell is 100mm but how long of a spindle width do I need for the bottom bracket?

Custom User Title
    May 2005

Re: The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

I want to change out the crankset. I know the shell is 100mm but how long of a spindle width do I need for the bottom bracket?
    The factory spindle is 189mm...you can swap cranks without changing the BB..

sent from my GS3 with my thumbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oops View Post
    The factory spindle is 189mm...you can swap cranks without changing the BB..

sent from my GS3 with my thumbs
    Yeah but the bottom bracket is crap and heavy. I'd like to swap it all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah but the bottom bracket is crap and heavy. I'd like to swap it all.
    The sealed cap & bearings set for the BB is really nice. There's the cartridge that's just out that's expected to be ~$20. If you start going for the really nice sets, watch out as if you do that for everything, as you'll very quickly spend more on parts than you spent on the bike (and more so if you're paying someone to do the work for you), with a combined cost more than an already complete "real" fat bike with better quality components all the way around. Perhaps for what you want, starting with a Dolomite is not the best option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The sealed cap & bearings set for the BB is really nice. There's the cartridge that's just out that's expected to be ~$20. If you start going for the really nice sets, watch out as if you do that for everything, as you'll very quickly spend more on parts than you spent on the bike (and more so if you're paying someone to do the work for you), with a combined cost more than an already complete "real" fat bike with better quality components all the way around. Perhaps for what you want, starting with a Dolomite is not the best option.

Actually I am upgrading everything on the bike except the wheelset. All the parts I am using is stuff I already have. And I do my own work. BOOM!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    _flatline_. Nice pics. Like those trekking bars. Makes me think of a mountain goat. What model is that seat?

mtbr member
    _flatline_. Nice pics. Like those trekking bars. Makes me think of a mountain goat. What model is that seat?
    Thank you steve1324.
    The seat is a Nashbar SC-1.
    Name:  NB-SC1S-NCL-ANGLE.jpg
Views: 2611
Size:  21.5 KB
    Very comfortable indeed.
    The bars with the addition of an adjustable stem give me the ability to stand nearly upright, which I find to be pretty cool.

I'm very pleased with the upgrades. They make the Dolomite a super bike for my needs. I still want to change the front chain ring to a 20something. Even though I did put a Megarange freewheel on I want to go super low.
    I wanna pull stumps rather than jump them.
    Thanks again,
    __bob__

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    After having some ride time in on both bikes..

The disc brakes suck on the front of my bike. The back will lock up the tires at a decent speed. Took a lot of minor adjustments but at least the back is legit.

The Dolomite is HEAVY. Geez. It makes my Beast feel lite. Itís quite a noticeable difference. This is with the 21t rear cog installed on the beast over factory 18.

Overall, Iím happy with both bikes. Both serve their purpose.

Oh yeah, got my new bike plate in the mail.. I wanted a red/white plate and the only authentic one I could find is from hawaii

Also got a new seat. Itís okay. I need to break it in more but itís not as comfortable as my $11 special seat I got for the beast!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    _flatline_ I have read somewhere. that many have used 3 gear cranks. Outside one used as a bash guard. Manually moving chain to one of the 2 gears. Others have just got a new gear with lower teeth count.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast