Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Rougher ride tonight...

Rough ride tonight...
    It was getting a bit dark but I took the Dolo for a ride on some gravel/sand roads I normally don't hit. Would have "washed out" on some of the curves tonight w/all the lose sand from the recent runoff! The tire pressures are good now (more stable temps & hitting the desired "max" at +40F works WAY better than at only +20F! LOTS of volume there to expand & contract! Should have "thunk" that one through a bit!) Anyway, it did pretty good on some seriously steep ascents & descents with washouts, holes, etc. Next I'd like to hit some "sage-brushy" open fields I saw the other night while visiting some friends - the sort of stuff I really want to analyse the whole fat-bike concept for - can I go where I would on a horse? (Yep, I KNOW it'll be slower, etc. - tried a "mixed" ride years ago w/a "typical" mountain bike on some trails w/the wife & daughter on their horses - not very "congruent" - bike way slow uphill & too fast downhill!) Anyway it was a nice "break" after building some garden boxes & I worked up a good sweat. I can hit good speeds on the downhills (gravely, sandy & pavement - lots of "breakup" right now...) and the bike seems responsive enough - no "control" issues. (probably 30~35 MPH max on the steep descents.)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the technical info - I knew I was "off" a bit but was comparing 1x9 & 1x10 drive-trains w/my current setup. I saw some promising other 3-ring cranks at Free Cycle tonight when I took back the Shimano "Hyperglide" (NOT "Velocitor" - not sure where I came up w/that? Sorry!) w/24/34/44 rings.These had similar, smaller rings - I need to take the bike back to Missoula on the carrier next week (Spring Break! Whee!) and just do the swaps there on their stands. Hopefully it won't push out to far from the frame... :\

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    ...One thing I do notice with folks just discovering fat biking, is that almost everyone starts out with WAY to much pressure for riding anything but pavement and often they're a little disappointed. I came across a guy w/ a brand new Mukluk on a local trail... was bouncin' all over the place. He said he'd "let them down" to 15psi. He's an experienced cyclist and thought that was "low" pressure. When I told him he needed to get them down into single digits he looked at me like I was nuts. Gauge might help the new comers get there a little quicker. I really like having one to get them up to 20ish for the pavement sections.
    Fat Bike FAQ's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Why I started this thread for small pressure gauge. The Meiser gauge that I bought works great. I did later pick up a digital SKS gauge but I like the Meiser better.

The Perfect Pressure Fat Bike Gauge

mtbr member
    May 2011

Wet Ride - 27Mar14 - Bitterroot Valley, Montana

I tried to go where "the deer (but no antelope) play" - was a "no-go" for the sage-brushy/rocky/steep stuff... I ended up staying on roads & an ATV track for the ride. About 45 degrees F. Rainy & sleety ("graupel" here in Missoula...) Tires were at about 16 PSI. Saw a fox, several mule deer, ospreys & hawks. Some Bob-whites... Sunny when I started but the left side of my head was numb by the time I got home - wind from the SW & rainy...
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-1of6-27mar14-.jpgI couldn't make any headway as there were too many rocks hidden in the grass. Also it was real steep here. (I needed a lower gear yet than what I had with the Shimano Magarange (13-34) freewheel and the 28-38-48 front chain-rings.) I was trying to follow the mule-deer & elk trails on this hillside near Iron Cap on the east side of the Bitterroot Valley.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-2of6-27mar14-.jpgLooking South over Iron Cap. About 45 degrees F, windy with mixed rain and sleet ("graupel" here near Missoula, MT). I'm panning left to right in the following pics...
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-3of6-27mar14-.jpgNow looking S, SW over Iron Cap.The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-4of6-27mar14-.jpgLooking west
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-5of6-27mar14-.jpg Now oriented North West... that's the "Big Ditch" at the bottom of the pic. Irrigation system on the East side of the valley - dry this time of year.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-6of6-27mar14-.jpg Looking East toward the Sapphire Mountains... tires for this ride were at 16 PSI. (contributed to my issues on the rocky terrain - wanted to "bounce" off rather than conform & climb over!)
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-ditchrd-27mar14-.jpg Looking East down the Maintenance road along the irrigation ditch (gated road, so no vehicular traffic...)
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wetride-end_of_rd-27mar14-.jpg End of ride. It was too wet to shear any more sheep today - so "played hooky" while the wife was in town w/her mom. Cold, hot & sweaty - all at one time! (My wife asks me "Why is this 'fun?!?'")
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-03-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Add text from photos to body of the post

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    ...Tires were at about 16 PSI...
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    ...He said he'd "let them down" to 15psi. He's an experienced cyclist and thought that was "low" pressure. When I told him he needed to get them down into single digits he looked at me like I was nuts...
    And the above was for tires less fat than yours.

Surly Pugsley 3.7 Deformation Over Obstacle - YouTube

Now try 12, 10, 8, 6.
    Once you're close, vary it by one lbs., then a half.
    Over time, you'll discover what works best (for that bike, those tires/tubes & your weight) on different terrain.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" and geared up I weigh about 235 lbs. I have found that 10-12 psi works good for hard packed trails and pavement. 5-6 psi for snow, and 8-10 for sand.

Just my .02...

mtbr member
    May 2011

Drive-train gear changes - yet again...

Thanks, Canoe, for the straight dope on the gearing... for now I've yet to get that measurement on the rear diameter - so I defaulted again to the "29 w/2.3 in. tire" on Sheldon Brown's gear calculator...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-01-crankdtl-29mar14-.jpg Alivio crank w/ 24-34-42 chain rings - 175mm long cranks... KMC chain not a problem on "IG only chain-rings". Chain no longer rubs rear tire but I had to reconfigure my front derailleur setup.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-02-rtsidevw-nwcrank-29mar14-.jpgThe Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-03-dolomitegrratios-29mar14-w-175mm_cranks.jpg New chart from Sheldon Brown's gear calculator. Shows gear inches...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-05-solvedchainrub-29mar14-.jpg No more chain rub at rear tire.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-06-rtsdpdlclrnc-29mar14-.jpg Right side crank clearance at chain stay...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-07-lftsdpdlclrnc-29mar14-.jpg Left side crank clearance at chain stay.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-04-frntdrllrtopvwdtl-29mar14-.jpg View from top of the new front derailleur mounting. (I had to abandon my previous clamp - it snapped as I torqued it down. This is actually my clamp from the initial setup (this is the third iteration...) but I had to drill out the threaded portion to allow passage for a heavier long bolt to allow mounting of the derailleur at the front of the clamp. Thanks to Free Cycle Missoula for the plethora of old parts to allow for prototype fabricating "on the fly"!
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-03-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added photo captioning to text body...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks, Canoe, for the straight dope on the gearing..
    No material difference.
    Your charts is giving 20.4 through 93.5 gear inches.
    Stock tire without measuring for weight & PSI, is 20.7 through 94.9 gear inches.

Your gain ratio changed from 1.81 through 8.1, to 1.55 through 7.09 with the 42/34/24, then the 175 mm crank radius ratio of 2.13 brings that to 1.50 to 6.89.

Rather different from the stock 37.8 through 75.5.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Replaced the stock bottom bracket bearings. They were greased enough to work (and were clean, uncontaminated), but there were air spaces. So not enough grease for good heat conduction (bearing life) nor enough to be completely packed to prevent water from getting into the race.

I had a spare set of new cups & bearings sitting around for the Beast. They fit the Dolo.
    YST Sealed BSA Cupset with Bearings (for under $10). BSA means they're the "English" size. # CR5042 BB-611NW
    (Note that this is dry bearings in a race that you will have to grease. "Sealed" refers to the rubber seal that encompasses the axle shaft.)
    Name:  BB308F10.jpg
Views: 5619
Size:  14.6 KB

No surprises. Installed the fixed cup filled with grease, completely filled the races with grease, bearings over the axle, slide the axle in, filled the adjustment cup with grease and fitted it on. Lots of rotating while tightening the cup, until no play in the axle. Prior to reaching that point, lots of turning resistance in the axle. Once the play was gone, the axle turned wonderfully freely. Significantly smoother and freer than the stock bearings & grease. I used a silicone grease.

I used the same grease to repack the front and rear hub bearings and set their play, (both had the same air voids as the BB, as did the headset, which I also topped up). The front hub still turns slightly rough, likely due to having arrived new with the cups so tight that the front axle would not turn. Rear was smooth; gave the rear wheel a moderate spin and it was still spinning close to the same speed a minute later when I stopped it so I could do something else. Heavy wheel...

Since the wheel was off, I threw the used MF-HG40 14-34T on too.

Since it was apart for the BB, doing this at the local bike recycle/DIY shop, I grabbed a used $7 unknown Shimano 22-32-44T ring/crank to try out, using the stock 170mm alloy arm on the left. I ran out of time at the shop, so I don't know if the stock chain will work through the range, nor have I set the derailler up yet.

UPDATE 2014-07-15: Sealed Bearing Cartridge available now in 100mm square taper.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-vp-components-square-taper-100mm-bb-cartridge-vp-bc63.jpg

As of 2014-08-15
    Quote Originally Posted by VP-USA
    Currently: The BC-63 is available in 11 sizes between 137.5mm and 164mm. They skip every 2-3mm just like 68/73mm shell but nothing even close to the 189mm you are looking for.
    Last edited by Canoe; 04-16-2015 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did a round-trip to Stevensville & back - 16.2 miles total. Took me right at 1 hour to get there - but I stopped to answer a couple incoming texts, took a detour through a plowed (not freshly plowed though) section of a field & then again through a boggy, mucky section - including a soppy ditch - in my lowest gear this was all a breeze. Ride in was with 12 PSI rear & 10 PSI front- Too soft w/the stock tread as the sidewalls keep trying to "grab" & pull on the steering. In Stevi I inflated to 14 front and rear & had much less rolling resistance, etc. (didn't try any more "off-road" stuff though) & made it home in exactly 48 minutes. (Had a bit of a tail-wind as well) I was a little worried about the newer front crank as it says "IG chain only" & all I could find regarding this is possible "un-scheduled" derailing of the chain. Well, w/my stock chain (KMC) in its skewed line I have to have the inner side of the front derailleur set to keep the chain on the smaller ring as-is. However, under "load" w/the cross-country stuff & couple of severely steep small climbs on the route, everything functioned well - & no more chain rub! (Which had more effect, at slow fat-bike speeds, than I would have thought possible on my ride of a few days previous!) I think I've got things where I want them for now. Thanks again, Canoe, for your input & data. (I like the sealed BB bearing idea!)
    I did get some Vee 8's via UPS today so my next "tests" will be a ride in the "stock" tires followed by another in the new ones to see if I detect any differences... (I suspect I will!?!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have one as well and with only a few tweaks and painting the rims black...its a damn good bike for the price!!! Not going to worry about dropping it on a rock or falling in a ditch.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To, The Norseman, Amen Brother!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Has anyone bought a Dolo that lives north of the 49th parallel? I stopped in at Walmart tonight here in Calgary and spoke to the manager to see if they could get them (Dolo and Brutis) brought in. She said she'd have to look into it for me.
    I know some people ordered direct from Pacific but does Walmart have an exclusive on these?
    Thanks in advance
    G

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGDog View Post
    Has anyone bought a Dolo that lives north of the 49th parallel? ...
    I know some people ordered direct from Pacific...
    As far as we know, Walmart is currently the exclusive source, with a few people managing to order direct from Pacific. If you order from Walmart.com (U.S.) they ship within the States and for free. Order from Pacific, you pay for shipping; this may mean you can pay Pacific to ship it to Canada. You'd have to ask Pacific. (watch out for getting dinged/ransomed for "broker fees" from the shipping company in Canada; as in, an additional $150 in "broker" fees or they don't deliver, plus HST, plus the danger of a "big box" fee...)

You can purchase online from Walmart.com with a Canadian credit card (they have instructions on how to enter an international billing address; I won't say how, as that may change over time) but you need a U.S. shipping address. From that U.S. shipping address:
    • you'll have to have it re-shipped to Canada (shipping, "broker" fees, etc.), or
    • drive down and pick it up yourself from your U.S. shipping address.

I purchased online from Walmart.com, had mine shipped "free" to a UPS Store close to the border, drove down to the States, paid the UPS Store $5 USD, drove back into Canada paying HST at the border.
    There was a mysterious $2.97 shipping fee on my Walmart invoice: but I bought around 10:15 a.m. on the first Tuesday, it shipped late afternoon that same day and it arrived around 12:30 noon on that Thursday, so I'm assuming it was an expedited shipping fee. I drove down to the States on the Friday (an hour down, an hour back), assembled Friday evening, out in the snow before midnight Friday...

Got my Beast the same way last year, only I paid with a Walmart U.S. gift card. Here it is with a 47mm trials rim with a 120 TPI Surly Endo (3.7") on the front.
    I assume you'll recognize the location.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-walgoose-beast-47mm-trials-front-3.7-inch-surly-endomorph-sm.jpg

Edit: May 14, 2014 Available online from Costco.ca (Canada)
    http://www.costco.ca/Ironhorse%C2%AE...100106109.html
    Last edited by Canoe; 05-14-2014 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    anyone try putting quick release skewers on the wheels? i dont even know if this is possible?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Actual tire width for Dolo - at 14 PSI...

OK, my Father-in-law had a set of calipers to get a measurement of the tire width - I'll try mounting the Vee 8's later this week & see what the difference is...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolotirewdth-stock-01apr14-.jpg

With these old calipers I was able to get an actual dimension on the width of the stock front tire at 14 PSI - the widest point measures at 4 9/16 inches (4.5625") and there is plenty of clearance left on the forks and seat and chain stays - this thing could probably run 5-inch wide tires?!?

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolotirewdth-stock-msrd-01apr14-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dscf5913.jpg  

Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-03-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added photo captioning to the text body...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rotaidalg, you realize that when you write your descriptive text onto the photographs, that text is never available to people when searching...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    As far as we know, Walmart is currently the exclusive source, with a few people managing to order direct from Pacific. If you order from Walmart.com (U.S.) they ship within the States and for free. Order from Pacific, you pay for shipping; this may mean you can pay Pacific to ship it to Canada. You'd have to ask Pacific. (watch out for getting dinged/ransomed for "broker fees" from the shipping company in Canada; as in, an additional $150 in "broker" fees or they don't deliver, plus HST, plus the danger of a "big box" fee...)

You can purchase online from Walmart.com with a Canadian credit card (they have instructions on how to enter an international billing address; I won't say how, as that may change over time) but you need a U.S. shipping address. From that U.S. shipping address:
    • you'll have to have it re-shipped to Canada (shipping, "broker" fees, etc.), or
    • drive down and pick it up yourself from your U.S. shipping address.

I purchased online from Walmart.com, had mine shipped "free" to a UPS Store close to the border, drove down to the States, paid the UPS Store $5 USD, drove back into Canada paying HST at the border.
    There was a mysterious $2.97 shipping fee on my Walmart invoice: but I bought around 10:15 a.m. on the first Tuesday, it shipped late afternoon that same day and it arrived around 12:30 noon on that Thursday, so I'm assuming it was an expedited shipping fee. I drove down to the States on the Friday (an hour down, an hour back), assembled Friday evening, out in the snow before midnight Friday...

Got my Beast the same way last year, only I paid with a Walmart U.S. gift card. Here it is with a 47mm trials rim with a 120 TPI Surly Endo (3.7") on the front.
    I assume you'll recognize the location.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walgoose Beast, 47mm trials front with 3.7 inch Surly Endomorph sm.jpg 
Views:	1152 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	881678
    Thanks Canoe!
    I was hoping to fore go turning this into an excuse for my wife to go on a shopping trip to Spokane (on sales tax for Albertians) but you have take the good with the bad....plus I might be able to squeeze a track day out of it.
    I do appreciate the insight and the shot of your Beast on Parliament Hill. It's been a long time since I've stood in that spot. Ottawa is a beautiful city.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone know if LOU/BUD will fit?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rotaidalg, you realize that when you write your descriptive text onto the photographs, that text is never available to people when searching...

No, sorry, I hadn't thought of that at all. (I usually edit the original .jpegs in "Paint" as screen-shots to save storage space & reduce the file's size - I rename them & add the text to aid me in selecting what I'll post. In future I'll try to add comments to the text of the post vs. on the .jpeg itself... :\

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dolo available again online at walmart.com for $299.97.

...In future I'll try to add comments to the text of the post vs. on the .jpeg itself... :\
    Why not both? Nice to have the text on the photo so the two parts of the info can't get lost; nice to have the text on the site so it's easier to view and available to be found by a search.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [/QUOTE]
    Why not both?... [/QUOTE]

Done (on some anyway - I have to get back to my school work!)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This morning, still in stock. Price up to $349.97.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Why not both? Nice to have the text on the photo so the two parts of the info can't get lost; nice to have the text on the site so it's easier to view and available to be found by a search.
    There, finished editing most everything I've got on this thread... (not sure most of it is worth "finding" anyway!) :\
    But it's done.

mtbr member
    WOW - Blaine's Farm & Fleet: $259 and in-stock @ certain stores.

Mongoose 26" Men's 7 Speed Massif Fat Mountain Bike at Blain's Farm & Fleet

Look @ specs. Says 7 spd, 58lbs
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    May 2011

New Mission Vee-8 Tires mounted on my 21-speed Mongoose Dolomite - 04Apr14

Well, here is the Mongoose Dolomite in its "sveldt" (or "svelte"...) configuration... (yea, Riiight!)
    I'm running 14 PSI for now - I noticed these are much more flexible, so I may drop to 12 or 10 PSI as I get more time on them... (what is it w/me and my photo captions! Ignore the double ref to the rear rim on the pic!) :\

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-htcomparo-stock-mssnvee8-04apr14-.jpg

Here is the rear rim with the Mission Vee-8 tire mounted - compared to the front rim with stock tire still on - there's a difference in height!

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-wdthcomparo-mssnvee8-stock-04apr14-.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the width between the same two...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-mssnvee8-msrdwdth-04apr14-.jpg

And, finally the actual measured width of the front Mission Vee-8 tire at 14 PSI...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-nwtiresmntd-04apr14-.jpg

Here is the Dolomite in all its "piggish" glory! Rides smoother with these tires (better sidewall flex) and there is a reduction in the gear-inches ratio with the smaller diameter of these less beefy tires...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    WOW - Blaine's Farm & Fleet: $259 and in-stock @ certain stores.

Mongoose 26" Men's 7 Speed Massif Fat Mountain Bike at Blain's Farm & Fleet

Look @ specs. Says 7 spd, 58lbs
    I thought the Massif was the 20" version and the Dolomite was the 26" version. The Title says 26" but then down in the description it says the tires are 20 x 4.

mtbr member
    They have something messed up. The Dolomite is the 26", and the Massif is the 20".

For that price its hard to say if its a less expensive Dolomite, or an overpriced Massif.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    WOW - Blaine's Farm & Fleet: $259 and in-stock @ certain stores...
    And, ...
    sold out online.
    I bet that was due to your post.

They also sell the Massif. Nine available. But $274. They've sure got their listings mixed up between those two bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In all honesty, I can't be sure if its these new Mission Vee-8 tires or I'm just getting into better shape (both?) but I made it into town the 8 miles the other day at 42 minutes - only 4 minutes longer than I had a few days earlier on my Schwinn Highplains (touring setup - dropped bars, etc.) That was with the Vee-8s. Today I went in (only about 7.2 miles) in a total of 40 minutes (strong cross & head-winds!) & then back in only 36 minutes (now cross & tail-winds!)
    I estimate the Dolomite is about 10% slower than the "skinny-tired" MTB I use for road riding. I'd like to set up the Dolomite with some dropped bars, etc. - currently my torso is just one big wind catcher... :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    is there a list of measurements for the cranks,hubs,stem etc anywhere?

thanks

mtbr member
    ., NNH

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedmentality View Post
    is there a list of measurements for the cranks,hubs,stem etc anywhere? thanks
    Cranks are 170mm turning a 36T x 14T-28T for gear inches of 37.8 to 75.5, stem is 1 1/8" threadless, hubs are 135mm front and 190mm rear, discs are 160mm.

All sorts, ad hoc throughout.
    You can start here The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thank you, I did read through some of this thread but not all. Seems there was a lot of bickering early on.

I just bought my bike and after re lubing and adjusting everything I took it out for a spin. I think I would like to go down on the front chain ring to better suite trail riding and to do so i believe the cranks have to be replaced as well.It looks like the cranks and chain ring are one or riveted together.

I searched for some 170 square taper cranks but honestly I am a little confused as to what to get. I see mostly on road items or vintage. Theres not much in the way of MTB in square taper. I am also wondering if i will need a bash guard to hold on the chain in the front.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...Seems there was a lot of bickering early on....
    I think I would like to go down on the front chain ring to better suite trail riding...
    I searched for some 170 square taper cranks ...
    I am also wondering if i will need a bash guard to hold on the chain in the front.
    There was some nonsense for a while, but it's gone now.

22-32-42T chainring, manual selection, from a bicycle recycle place
    stock Dolo alloy crank matched well.
    Has a bash guard. Rear derailer can let chain flop around by times.

mtbr member
    May 2011

latest ride... 08Apr14... +70 degrees F today!

No classes today - finished the homework & "honey-do" list...
    Rode into Stevi for some shelf support brackets (I don't recommend no-shoulder roads w/wide handle bars!) I survived...

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-08apr14-off_moieseln.jpg

Just south off of Moiese Lane about 5 miles out of Stevensville, MT. Looking west toward Idaho - first day above 70 degrees F since September 2013! Beautiful!

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-08apr14-off_moieseln-sth-.jpg

On the irrigation ditch maintenance road looking south "up" the Bitterroot Valley toward Hamilton - lots of snow-pack this year!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There was some nonsense for a while, but it's gone now.

22-32-42T chainring, manual selection, from a bicycle recycle place
    stock Dolo alloy crank matched well.
    Has a bash guard. Rear derailer can let chain flop around by times.
    I was leaning towards just one chain ring or maybe get one with 3 and just use the inner two and replace third outer one with a bash guard??

I do not have a bicycle recycle place around me so hopefully i can find one on the net.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Ideas for 3-ring crank acquisition... with "no parts available"

I was leaning towards just one chain ring or maybe get one with 3 and just use the inner two and replace third outer one with a bash guard??

I do not have a bicycle recycle place around me so hopefully i can find one on the net.
    Twistedmentality, I have a 3-ring up front and only get onto the largest when using the two smallest sprockets on the freewheel. (13-34 MegaRange)

If you go to Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator and use the stock rear freewheel (14-28 tooth) & a more typical 28-38-48 crank (on most cheap three-piece cranks of big-box store mountain bikes - check thrift stores & pawnshops? Metal re-cyclers- you could buy an old bike for parts at "scrap" prices!?) run the Gear Calculator (use congruent tire size, i.e. 29x2.3" tire) and compare w/the stock chain-ring (36 tooth) - this will give you some idea of what changes you can expect to see in your set-up. Maybe a Local Bike Shop would have some cheap disgarded parts for you to pick through? Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i plan on making a trip to the local bike store to see what he has. i really want to stick to one chain ring up front i just have to think of a way to keep the chain on. i know downhill bikes and free ride bikes use bash guards and guides but our chain ring is a lot further away from the frame then on those such bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Dolomite w/dropped bars - touring - setup... (also on the "Daily Pics" thread)

OK, I'm settled on 15 PSI w/the new Mission Vee-8 tires. I'll try a ride into Stevensville via Lee Metcalf this afternoon (if it doesn't rain...) & time myself to see what, if any, difference I can discern.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-12apr14-dropbarcockpit-rtfrnt.jpg

I've installed some old, cheap, steel drop-bars I acquired from Free Cycle Missoula (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-...12465108837550) & (Missoula Institute for Sustainable Transportation "Free Cycles" Missoula Montana). I then used a base layer of hay-bailing twine covered w/a double layer of inner tube strips as bar-tape (provides a bigger diameter & some weatherproof padding). I side-mounted some old MTB shift-levers (friction vs. indexed) in lieu of bar-end shifters. I also found some cheap double-access brake levers (no issues w/range of motion & the disk brakes...) for a variety of hold positions. This matches my Schwinn High Plain MTB, setup as a "touring" cycle... (see below)

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-12apr14-dropbarcockpit-rrvw.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-12apr14-dropbarcockpit-frntvw.jpg

Below is a comparison of the High Plains w/the Mongoose Dolomite. Notice the bar height on the Dolo is a bit higher, the seats are almost identical - though I've 175 MM cranks on the Dolo & only 170's on the Schwinn.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-12apr14-dolo-hghplnscomparo-lftsd.jpg

We'll see if I can get similar speed out of this Fatbike w/the same wind-bucking ability I can have w/dropped bars on the Schwinn...

(update: Didn't get to do the ride - wife wanted to go into town w/me AND some really nasty sleet/rain moved in...) Tomorrow?!?
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-13-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: reinserted pics - added an update...

mtbr member
    Here is another dolomite I did for a friend today:

It's strange how inconsistent these bikes are. I have done a few now and this one felt really really nice, like a much higher end bike. Others felt like a walmart bike.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Here is another dolomite I did for a friend today:

It's strange how inconsistent these bikes are. I have done a few now and this one felt really really nice, like a much higher end bike. Others felt like a walmart bike.
    That looks great! What method did you use to paint it? Any upgrades or is it all stock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great!!!....Thanks!!! Already painted my rims black ...Now I`m thinking about painting the frame!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    That looks great! What method did you use to paint it? Any upgrades or is it all stock?
    Bone stock except the paint. I just stripped the frame down, steel woolen the clear coat a bit, and spray bombed it. It has about 4 coats. Time till tell if it hold up...

mtbr member

Fantastic! Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think I shall take the Dolo out to some local trails today. 100% stock,we will see how it does,how I do....

mtbr member

I think I shall take the Dolo out to some local trails today. 100% stock,we will see how it does,how I do....
    My 10 yr old son has been doing fine riding the trails on his stock Dolo. I'm going to install a 14-34 mega range freewheel next week for him though, just so he has an easier gear for the tougher parts.

I'm going to do the same on my youngest son's Massif since the bike probably weighs almost as much as him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I made it out to the trails. They were pretty muddy. This first trek into the trails made me realize the dolo def could use a granny gear. I have some Vee Rubbers on the way and I will prolly get the mega range freewheel. regardless I had a fun time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... This first trek into the trails made me realize the dolo def could use a granny gear. I have some Vee Rubbers on the way and I will prolly get the mega range freewheel...
    Yup.
    Stock, it's only 37.8 to 75.5 gear inches. Cruiser range.

A 14-34T freewheel will take it to 31.1 to 75.5.
    13-34T is 31.1 to 81.3.

Stock is 36T on the front.
    32T with the 14-34T freewheel will take that down to 27.6 to 67.1.
    With the 13-34T freewheel, the 67.1 goes to 72.3.

The 11-34T freewheel is elusive, but with 32T in front would make from 27.6 to 85.5.

It's easy to do your own math. Use 29.375" for the diameter, or 373.06mm for the radius. Or measure with your tire & pressure with you on it from the flat ground to the center of the axle, x2 for the diameter.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast