Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Do you have a local walmart that you can return it too? You may be better off finding a nice used higher end fatbike. Most of us who mod these bikes do the work ourselves. Having to pay shop labor adds a lot of expense.

Let's just say for argument that you were going to spend roughly $400 in upgrades. Combine that with the $350 purchase price and you have spent more that a bikes direct fatbike. Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of fun with the mongoose fat bikes, but there is a limit to what makes sense. Especially if you have one that is worse than average. Bent forks are a concern...

These bikes are not very consistent. I built 2 Dolomites for my buddies boys. One of them rides REALLY nice, the other just ok.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We can't tell what's wrong with your bike. You have the opinion of the LBS.
    You likely need to find someone to give you a second opinion on the condition of the bike, be it for returning to walmart, or warranty repair or replacement or to know its true condition for selling locally.

To have a department store bike with those defects is all too common, as your LBS will be very well aware. To have a Dolo with all those defects, apart form extreme shipping damage, this is a first. The lack of grease is common, hence the advice to get everything greased. The front hub or others not be torqued correctly is known to occur, hence those things get corrected as part of the adjustment necessary after greasing. I've built a few wheels, so I'm now 'pickier than thou", but both of my Dolo's wheels came perfectly trued and have stayed that way so I have no excuse to play with them. Although from reports it would be a real anomaly for a Dolo, it is possible for the wheels to be exactly as the LBS says.

> Should I get my money back from walmart?
    You can try. But you've modified the bike, and it's been out of your control, so Walmart/Pacific will want to know when did the defects occur: during manufacture, shipping, assembly, at the LBS...
    You might put the original parts back on it, and return it to your local walmart for a refund, simply citing the defects (but not things like "doesn't fit a 9 speed freewheel"). Don't complicate things by mentioning the LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    ... Let's just say for argument that you were going to spend roughly $400 in upgrades. Combine that with the $350 purchase price and you have spent more that a bikes direct fatbike. Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of fun with the mongoose fat bikes, but there is a limit to what makes sense. Especially if you have one that is worse than average. Bent forks are a concern...
    +1000 on this advice
    One's needs have to match this bike stock (and with a few basics like greasing, by you, friend or an LBS) or with a few user upgrades like a different 7 speed freewheel, etc., or else the Dolo just is not the bike for you. Some limited upgrading is fun, if you know how and want to do the work yourself you can do it economically, otherwise economically it just doesn't make sense. If you want a lot of upgrades, there are better places to start from. Combine upgrading with not knowing much about bikes, that just isn't going to work for you.

mtbr member
    To the above trying to get his dolo upgraded..
    I like that you are trying to upgrade your bike and make it your own, but your expectations dont seem reasonable.
    You should consider yourself lucky that the lbs did not perform everything you asked, because you would have spent a fortune.
    This Mongoose s a cool entry to fat bikes for people that will ride as is, or upgrade themselve from a parts bin. I recommend you look for a used Pugsley or something similar.
    The bike shop did you a favor
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the Megarange freewheel mod
    sure looks a lot more reasonable

mtbr member
    May 2011

Dolomite Gear Inches

I got curious about how to easily compare the various gear inch numbers I was calculating for the various chain-ring/freewheel combos.
    So I charted the stock freewheel with the stock ring of 36T, then for 34T, 32T, 30T & 28T.
    Then I added various 7 speed freewheels, including custom gear stacks, for the stock ring of 36T and a selection of 22T, 32T and 42T.

From the chart, you can see the improvement for either a 14-34T or a 13-34T 7-speed freewheel with the stock 36T or a 32T front. A meaningful improvement for the least work/cost.

You can also see the easier progression of the freewheel custom stacks, where a 28 is added to the xx-34T. Also shown, is subbing a 21 for the 20 on the 14-34T custom, or a 20 for the 19 on the 13-34T custom; makes for a smoother range, so if you've got the parts...

(now to see if it will load the chart...)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, the upload made it a little fuzzy, but at least it's readable.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-gear-inches-various-cranks-freewheels-sm.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks to all for the advice about my bike. Walmart has agreed to take it as a return so I will just put the original parts back on and save for a better bike. Oh well, I tried. Again thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good news!

For the money you paid for the Dolo, and the cost of the upgrades that you're fortunate the LBS didn't go ahead and do, you're awfully close to the low end of a "real" fat bike. One that likely already has one of everything you want, with perhaps swapping in a favorite bar or pedals down the road. There are even choices under $1,000, and a few options surprisingly near $500.

DO do some reading here on the forum well before you purchase so you understand what you will be getting. There are some threads covering bikes in the range you'd be looking. With some reading, you'll be able to understand what you can reasonably expect before you spend any money.

DO find an LBS who is already familiar with Fat Bikes.

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!
    Save Up To 60% Off Fat Bikes and Fat Mountain Bicycles from bikesdirect.com FREE Ship 48 States
    Budget fatbike recommendations
    Battle of the cheap Fat bikes

Do some searching, do some reading.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Also shop around to your LBS shops. Some are fantastic, some not so much. Some are there because they love bikes.

Some are there because they sell fancy polo shirts, and when you walk into their stores they seem to size you up based on the thickness of your wallet. If your not a cardiac surgeon they have no time for you.
    I like bikes, and turtles. Well... mostly turtles. But bikes are cool also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Good news!

For the money you paid for the Dolo, and the cost of the upgrades that you're fortunate the LBS didn't go ahead and do, you're awfully close to the low end of a "real" fat bike. One that likely already has one of everything you want, with perhaps swapping in a favorite bar or pedals down the road. There are even choices under $1,000, and a few options surprisingly near $500.

DO do some reading here on the forum well before you purchase so you understand what you will be getting. There are some threads covering bikes in the range you'd be looking. With some reading, you'll be able to understand what you can reasonably expect before you spend any money.

DO find an LBS who is already familiar with Fat Bikes.

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!
    Save Up To 60% Off Fat Bikes and Fat Mountain Bicycles from bikesdirect.com FREE Ship 48 States
    Budget fatbike recommendations
    Battle of the cheap Fat bikes

Do some searching, do some reading.
    He ended up charging me $160 for Grips, bar/stem, and red platform pedals. ahhh I love bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterDolo View Post
    ... the cost of the upgrades that you're fortunate the LBS didn't go ahead and do...
    He ended up charging me $160 for Grips, bar/stem, and red platform pedals. ahhh I love bikes.
    Parts cost and the time of someone who knows what they're doing.
    If we want the LBS to be around when you need them, expect to pay them enough that they can stay in business, and hopefully make a living wage.

Now imagine what the charge would be for a 9 speed rear, including a new hub that fits it (along with new spokes (they don't know the stock spokes so would be unlikely to roll them if they're long enough)), new derailer and a new shifter. Then for reliability and no service problems, new cables that they know. New brakes are straight forward, and they'd likely recommend new levers too (and their cables).

Now you start to see the benefit of something "off the shelf" that has one of everything you want.

While not as nice as a 9 speed rear, now you see why those of us with Dolos like that we can swap in a $10 to $15 7 speed freewheel with a greater range, a compatible shifter for $15, or a great bearing for the bottom bracket that's <$10. For those of us who like to tinker, have limited funds, or want to see how much can be done for as little cost as possible, it can be done. Just don't expect it to perform like a "real" fat bike (nor be safe for all of the same rides/conditions), nor experience the joy of riding a bike with great quality components. But you do get the Fat Fun...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterDolo View Post
    At least these are parts that will probably work on the next bike too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dolomite available online at Walmart, currently $349.97.

Farm & Fleet has them back in stock again, $249.99 plus shipping.
    Mongoose 26" Men's 7 Speed Dolomite Fat Tire Bike at Blain's Farm & Fleet

Also, Mongoose Men's Dolomite on Amazon, new, four sellers: $594.99, $600.00, $626.88 and $1,399.88.

mtbr member
    $1400 for a dolomite!! WOW!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hello everybody. I tripped across this thread and registered. I've been mountain biking for a few years now. I just bought a Dolomite after seeing a picture of one. I picked it up at Academy for $250 - this thing is a bargain IMO. I spent the weekend riding it up and down the beach. Tonight I mount a better seat (OUCH!) and tear it down for the post-beach cleanup. I can't wait to hit the trails with it this weekend.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-goose.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What's up guys I also run in too this and I wanted at first to buy the beast but after some resource I wanted to get the dolomite it jest looked and had better upgrade from the beast so I looked online and found the lowest price and shipped to Cali and must say I'm very happy and looks dope but the seat was killing me lol I upgrade that quick lol and may do some mods but I wanted to ask you guys do you know we're I can find fenders for these bad boy or what other mods would you recommend and thanks in advance well talk soon I well post the link here hope this helps someone same money late.

Academy - Mongoose® Men's Dolomite 26" 7-Speed Fat Tire Bicycle

bigger than you.
    holy run-on sentence Batman! Punctuation is your friend!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Stumbled upon the Dolomite on accident looking for 4 bikes for my family last weekend. Bought the wife and kids bikes and ordered a Dolo from blains. I'm very happy a fat bike exists at this price point. Ive got plenty of other hobbies(restoring an FJ40) that require my pocketbook.

Bike comes tomorrow. I stopped down at my lbs and bought the Mega Range freewheel and rapid fire shifter. looking forward to hitting the trails this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betos View Post
    What's up guys I also run in too this and I wanted at first to buy the beast but after some resource I wanted to get the dolomite it jest looked and had better upgrade from the beast so I looked online and found the lowest price and shipped to Cali and must say I'm very happy and looks dope but the seat was killing me lol I upgrade that quick lol and may do some mods but I wanted to ask you guys do you know we're I can find fenders for these bad boy or what other mods would you recommend and thanks in advance well talk soon I well post the link here hope this helps someone same money late.

Academy - Mongoose® Men's Dolomite 26" 7-Speed Fat Tire Bicycle
    Thanks mucho for the heads up. Ordered one, stay tuned for mods.
    Last edited by Babe; 05-14-2014 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like "Academy" wants to sell some Dolomites.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Wow it is nice to be back on 2 wheels again. Very impressed with the Dolomite. Compliments everywhere I went today. Did a 5 mile trek through The Ohio State Campus, hit a few trails on the way home. Huge muddy smile.

Cant wait for my Green Floaters!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thought I would let everyone know that this bike is now available in Canada at Costco.ca for $259.99.
    Meteorpete

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbo View Post
    Wow it is nice to be back on 2 wheels again. Very impressed with the Dolomite. Compliments everywhere I went today. Did a 5 mile trek through The Ohio State Campus, hit a few trails on the way home. Huge muddy smile.

Cant wait for my Green Floaters!

Nice bike. Since you will probably be using that gear quite a bit, adding a couple links to your chain would be good. That der. is maxed

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorpete View Post
    Thought I would let everyone know that this bike is now available in Canada at Costco.ca for $259.99.
    Meteorpete
    Shipping and handling included!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Freaking nice

mtbr member
    Is that $259 US or Canadian? what's the currency conversion make it?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Im on it. Picked up some chain at my lbs yesterday. Can't decide if I'm going to drill the rims or not yet. I'm 6' 2", 260, so I'm a little apprehensive. My wife has ridden it around a bit and started to like it. I may pick up a Boris at the end of the year, it's really growing on me.

mtbr member
    Im 6'2" and am about 240 with my riding gear. Ive never had any issues with my drilled rims and have ridden my bike hard.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Good to know. headed to the hardware store for a hole saw and gorilla tape.

One thing I noticed that is different between my bike and the bike in the beginning of this thread is my grip shifter is different. It says falcon on it and the gears are in the reverse order.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is that $259 US or Canadian? what's the currency conversion make it?
    Costco.ca (nada), not Costco.com. That's $259 CAD, plus sales tax.
    $259 CAD is $237.90 USD, or $228.38 USD Cash Rate.

Less that what we'd pay for a pair of hydraulic brakes here...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not sure if there are any failures with the FreeWheel on the Dolomite, but am seeing that there are issues with the read hub on the Beast, and breaking axles. Would something similiar to this fit Dolomite?

Formula SL1240/DC170 Fat Bike 6-Bolt Disc Hub Set 135/170mm Black

mtbr member
    The rear hubs are completely different on these bikes. The Beast has a coaster brake and it's the coaster brake driver that is breaking, not the axle. The Dolomite has a solid rear axle, so you're not going to see the same failures you're seeing with The Beast (not that you may not have some other failure)

I know this because I had a Beast and dealt with this issue.

My .02

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I understand that the beast and the dolomite have different hubs, I was just asking if this was what I should look for on a Dolomite, if I should want/need to find replacement hubs.

Is dang happy!
    I have replaced and straightened so many FW axles at the shop I would not be surprised if it was the Achilles heel of this bike, YMMV.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Did my first singletrack ride today. Alum Creek Phase 1 Trail at Alum Creek State Park. 5.4 miles. Alum Creek Phase 1 Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Galena village, OH Good ride, very tired. The trail was awesome. Ive never ridden anywhere like this before. No mechanical problems with the Dolomite, although I have swapped to a sram shifter and rear der. Tires were the biggest issue. Did nothing but spin in the slop, but I expected that with that center rib it has. Floaters will arrive sometime next week I assume. Even with the Megarange, the gearing could be lower. Not to mention I'm way out of shape. As the mud packed on, I really started to not like the weight of the bike. I dont know if I want to invest any more in this bike or sell it and buy a Boris X7 or 9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    @kelbo:

Sounds like this was your first ride, so you probably don't realize that riding muddy trails usually isn't allowed at most trails. Most trail systems want people to wait until the trail dries out before you ride. Riding wet trails can cause a lot of damage. I'm not in OH, so I don't know the rules, but I'd imagine it is frowned upon on these trails. If you are leaving tread marks and mud I'd collecting on your tires, it is too wet.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...Even with the Megarange, the gearing could be lower. Not to mention I'm way out of shape. As the mud packed on, I really started to not like the weight of the bike. I dont know if I want to invest any more in this bike or sell it and buy a Boris X7 or 9.
    That's why people like a dual or tripple in the front, and manually switch between 22T and 32T, depending on where they're riding. Or add a front derailer if you've the bucks and inclination.

The bike will be both lighter and roll better once you've gotten rid of the stock tires and stock tubes. But that still won't compare to a Boris.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    @kelbo: Sounds like this was your first ride, so you probably don't realize that riding muddy trails usually isn't allowed at most trails. Most trail systems want people to wait until the trail dries out before you ride. Riding wet trails can cause a lot of damage. ...
    Oh oh.
    http://ohiosingletrack.com/trailcondition.php?tabid=50 Alum Creek Phase 1 & P2:
    ...I worked some drainage issues and ruts today
    Reports from the trail are that it's still very muddy. Please do not ride and reverse all the work that was done yesterday.
    Heavy rains soaked the trail this morning. Please do not ride.
    do not ride muddy sections.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by geeze View Post
    Not sure if there are any failures with the FreeWheel on the Dolomite, but am seeing that there are issues with the read hub on the Beast, and breaking axles. Would something similiar to this fit Dolomite?

Formula SL1240/DC170 Fat Bike 6-Bolt Disc Hub Set 135/170mm Black
    FYI, I'm pretty sure the stock rims on the Dolomite are 36-hole and these are only 32-hole hubs. They won't lace up correctly... (?) (I've never laced a wheel myself - looks pretty daunting!)
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 05-23-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: bad typing skills...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Did my first singletrack ride today. Alum Creek Phase 1 Trail at Alum Creek State Park. 5.4 miles. Alum Creek Phase 1 Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Galena village, OH Good ride, very tired. The trail was awesome. Ive never ridden anywhere like this before. No mechanical problems with the Dolomite, although I have swapped to a sram shifter and rear der. Tires were the biggest issue. Did nothing but spin in the slop, but I expected that with that center rib it has. Floaters will arrive sometime next week I assume. Even with the Megarange, the gearing could be lower. Not to mention I'm way out of shape. As the mud packed on, I really started to not like the weight of the bike. I dont know if I want to invest any more in this bike or sell it and buy a Boris X7 or 9.

i also agree with you about still needing lower gearing. i am currently looking for a compatible front crank and smaller chain ring. once you go with a different tire you will also notice that the bike is easier to pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I will definitely be mindful of the trail from now on. There were about 5 riders out there in my time span and the trail was definitely rutted in a few sections. Canoe thanks for the link. I will check that before I ride next time. Hitting the trails in my FJ40 tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...Hitting the trails in my FJ40 tomorrow.
    I had to sell my BJ40.

Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    ...(I've never laced a wheel myself - looks pretty daunting!)
    But a lot of fun! Rather straightforward with instructions/procedures. I've done it a few times with Roger Musson's book. Still have to refer to it each time...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Merry Christmas!

Literally. I feel like if Santa had a fatbike... Rims may get flat black very soon.

Floaters came in today. I will replace this pic with a better one, my boys wanted to see a tire tonite before I mounted it.

Took the kids on a bike ride yesterday and have yet to see another fat bike. I did get "Nice Pugsley" twice yesterday. I thought that was hilarious.

My bottom bracket (not sure if that is the correct terminology) was loose yesterday so I took it apart and regreased everything. Tightened up and the clicking went away. Factory grease was barely a glaze.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here's a good Dolomite story.

I was out camping in Leavenworth, WA over the weekend. I had my bike laying down in front of the RV and as I was walking up to it, I hear this loud boom and some dirt in the air close to my bike.

Just as I start to inspect the front wheel, BOOM again! The 1st boom was the tire popping off the rim and the 2nd was the tube popping. I think it was the elevation difference between home and camping (1200 feet or so) and the heat from the bike laying in the sun for a few hours that caused the tube to explode.

The rear was looking pretty tight as well so I deflated it before it blew up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    How do I drill my rims like that???

mtbr member
    May 2011

cheap 2-wheel trailer for my "truck" Dolomite...

I had this In-Step brand kid's trailer in the shed for a couple of years. Mounted the hitch plate to the Dolo (too short w/stock 16" diameter wheels...) & added some wheel-chair wheels to the frame - viola! Trash/cargo hauler!

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-w-trlr-lftsd-27may14-.jpg

Even w/my narrow drop bars the trailer isn't too much wider than them...

(sorry, the perspective on this pic makes it look WAY wider...)

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-w-trlr-rrvw-27may14-.jpg

Now I can do propane tank exchanges by bike if I want to...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by The norseman View Post
    How do I drill my rims like that???

Right to Bike: How to drill your rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you Kelbo!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Clark View Post
    ...The 1st boom was the tire popping off the rim and the 2nd was the tube popping. I think it was the elevation difference between home and camping (1200 feet or so) and the heat from the bike laying in the sun for a few hours that caused the tube to explode...
    How much PSI are you using in your tires?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    HOW TO DISSASSEMBLE:

Its pretty easy to do with common tools.

Screw the freewheel to a block of wood using the teeth to hold the freewheel in place. Using a screwdriver, or a punch, and a hammer, tap the lockring to unscrew it.

When taking the freewheel apart, do you spin the lockring clockwise or counterclockwise? looks like in the pic, counterclokwise.

Have a 11-34t Superwide Megarange freewheel, would like to add the 28t into. That is if it makes sense once I see how it goes back together and what cogs need to be swapped around.

currently it has
    11-13-15-18-21-24-34

was hoping for something like
    11-14-18-21-24-28-34

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... currently it has 11-13-15-18-21-24-34
    was hoping for something like 11-14-18-21-24-28-34
    You've got the elusive and rather pricy 11-34T. To get down to 11T and fit on, they had to make it somewhat different than the others. Before you start tearing it apart, go read.

Shimano Re-invents the Freewheel

(and here Traditional Thread-on Freewheels)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you can pull that custom stack off, you'll have:

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-11-34t-stock-custom-stack.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well my Dolo is down. Took off to my buddy's house earlier this week and the crank arm fell off. When I picked it up it was full of metal shavings and the nut was cracked from being over tightened it looks like. Called Pacific Cycles and the parts are on back order so I found a replacement nut from my trusty Toyota spares parts bin. The arm has some play, but it's holding so far.

Picked up a used dirt jumper to play around with till my parts arrive. '10 DK Asterik.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you can pull that custom stack off, you'll have:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolo with 11-34T, stock & custom stack.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	899072
    Ok this is cool, but unsure if your graph is showing me that this is a good setup, or not.

what app are you using to create these graphs?

mtbr member
    May 2014

This was the original nut holding my crank arm on...it is mildly stressed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ok this is cool, but unsure if your graph is showing me that this is a good setup, or not.
    what app are you using to create these graphs?
    Just a spreadsheet in LibreOffice.

I think your custom stack 11-34T could be a great setup for a hilly area. Combined with a lower count front, your gear choices would definitely be biased to the lower gear inches for hills or getting through soft sand.

From the first blue line, you can see the stock Dolo freewheel driven by a 36T front. The left side, at around 37 gear inches, is the easiest to pedal, and is insufficient for many hills or terrain. The ticks on the line show where each gear falls in gear inches. So you can drive the Dolo and see which "gear inches" you'd use or wouldn't use. The yellow, green, dark blue and orange lines show the gear inches the stock freewheel would yield when driven by 34T, 32T, 30T and a 28T front.

The 11-34T has a huge range. The blue background area shows examples of that stock freewheel, driven by the stock Dolo 36T front (blue line), along with a 32T front (lighter green line) and a 28T front (darker green line). You can see the big gap between the far left tick and the next tick on the line, showing the gap between the 34T and the 24T gears in the stock stack. This is intentional in the stock stack, as it's an "alpine" stack, with a nice spread in six gears with a granny 34T to manage extreme hills. This stock stack with a 28T isn't bad, giving six choices from a step better from a stock Dolo through to it's top cruiser gear, with a granny at the bottom coming in around 24 gear inches. But with a fat bike, we may be wanting more choices spaced through the bottom end (hence your custom stack).

The green background area shows where your custom stacked 11-34T freewheel's gears would place. You can see the nice even spacing of your intended custom stack, and that it's biased in the low gear inch range (towards the left), and compare where they would place relative to the stock Dolo (your practical experience in Dolo pedaling). With the stock 36T front, you can see where it gives a solid step better on the low end, but the far right may never get used (unless you want to pump it going downhill?). All the way down to a 28T front where you can see you'd get close to the lowest of a stock Dolo and still have three lower choices. A 32T front yields two lower choices.

The down side is the size of the gaps in the above 50 gear inch ranges.

While the 11-34T is certainly impressive, would you ever end up using the 11T?
    From this chart and earlier charts in this thread, you can see where the 13-34T or 14-34T would "drop" the 11T and leave a place in the stack for another gear that's a choice in the range that you'd actually use. Depends on where and how you'll be riding.

It's hugely tempting to have a range like 11T to 34T, but seeing how it graphs out, I'm quite content to have a 14-34T rear with hand switching a 22T/32T front. Way more, and usable, choices.
    A nice 11-34T Shimano can go for $200+ on ebay... that buys a lot of parts for a Dolo. (new 13-34T and 14-28T for a custom stack, more supple tires, new trigger gear selector)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow. $200 guess I lucked out when I picked up from bikewagon for $24. Might just put on ebay. And see if I can recover most of the price of the dolo since I ordered it from the initial group of bikes from wall mart before they raised prices

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... I picked up for $24. ...
    $24?
    Lets check here. 7 speed Shimano Freewheel 11-34T?
    I see that store had a "Shimano CS-HG50 7-Speed MTB Freewheel 11-34T" listed.
    CS is cassette. That should have been MF-HG50 (MF stand for Multiple Freewheel). Their photo shows a Freewheel. I hope yours is the Freewheel and it was still around as it was mis-listed as a CS.

There's been some DNP Epoch reported around, but the Shimano is the "one" to find.

The last one I found went for $225, used, great condition. Most sold over $150. A friend found two sales of these, used great condition, both over $250. They've been hard to get since ~2008 and scarce/non-existent since 2012, hence the crazy price. Fewer people needing them now, so no telling on the price...

But if yours is brand new... who knows.

Perhaps you want to search for the sites where people were looking to find these back in 2009 to 2012, then post there asking what people think is a good price to ask for a good-used or brand-new one.
    An ebay auction right now may not be the best idea, as most people are out riding, not checking the web.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A 13-34T or 14-34T is a likely a better place to start than with 11T.

TAKE CAREFUL NOTE of Blown240's post on the different types of stacks with the old vs. new freewheels. The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Here's a repost showing where the stock 13-34T and 14-34T freewheels fall in gear inches on the Dolo. Some custom stacks shown too.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-gear-inches-various-cranks-freewheels-sm.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I see some talk that the early Dolomites had bent/twisted forks from the start. How would I check my fork iw bent/twisted. Currently I have the bike apart.

mtbr member
    Dolomites are $249 right now at target.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey all, new here, and have been itching for something a little different to take for my work commute. Ordered a Dolomite, vee rubber speedster tires, and lighter tubes, since i figure 40lbs will be way better that the insane 49. I read theres still many other places to cut weight, but this seemed to be the best bang for the buck!

mtbr member
    Yup! That's a great way to loose some weight!

If your really into modifying it, you can get a new handlebar and seat post. Also drill the rims. Depending on your weight you can also replace the wheels with 24 spokes instead of the 36 it has now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    26" Mongoose Dolomite Mens 7-speed Fat Tire Mountain Bike,
    PRICE JUST WENT BACK DOWN TO $275 AT WALMART.COM. Bought one 12 days ago, called Wally World and they gave me a $75 credit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey other than the color is there any difference between the rim on the beast and dolomite? I can get them for free, was thinking to switch the color since i hate the red rims. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    nope. same rim...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    nope. same rim...
    Perfect. What size spoke wrench do i need? Never did this before shoild be interesting!

mtbr member
    Building wheels is fun.

Just get one of the round spoke wrenches that have all the sizes. They are pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Building wheels is fun.

Just get one of the round spoke wrenches that have all the sizes. They are pretty cheap.
    Great will do! Im just glad i can put the white rims on it, not a fan of red.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    it's the red park tools one. i found the nipples on mine inconsistent some were difficult to get the wrench on.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tawaitai View Post
    I tried to order the Dolomite$266.00 and it has a Hawaii Surcharge $74
    shipping $2.97 $14.48 tax. That surcharge SUCKS! How did yours qualify for free-ship?
    So you're trying to order from Walmart.com, but with a shipping charge of $2.97. This means that you've ended up with Standard Shipping instead of the Free Shipping. On my order, when I chose between Free Shipping and SiteToStore, Walmart.com automatically built the order with "Standard Shipping" on the order instead of Free Shipping, but with the quick Estimated Delivery time and a $2.97 charge for Standard Shipping, I figured close enough and didn't explore how to select Free Shipping.

Standard shipping on my Dolo order: ordered ~10:15 AM Tuesday, it left the warehouse near San Fran late afternoon on that Tuesday, arriving in upper NY state at 12:30 noon on the Thursday, two days later. For that fast air shipping to Hawaii I can see a $74 surcharge.

So try selecting Free Shipping and see if that has the surcharge. Or try selecting "Free store pickup with Site to Store" and select your closest Walmart store.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I threw a little Verde flavor on the Dolo. Perfect for cruising High street and Ohio State Campus. Just having fun...

Tawaitai
    Mar 2011
    Canoe-
    RE: fast air shipping 12 days? fast by who's standards. that's the ETA for it to reach here in Hawaii, and NO site to store option either! The price we pay to live in Hawaii.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tawaitai View Post
    Canoe-
    RE: fast air shipping 12 days? fast by who's standards. that's the ETA for it to reach here in Hawaii, and NO site to store option either! The price we pay to live in Hawaii.
    Walmart.com is having issues in recent days with the estimated delivery date showing around a week out. A friend ordered a Massif, indicating a delivery of July 10th, but by phoning it turns out the actual delivery date is expected to be June 28 or 30th. So the 12 days you saw may or may not be accurate.

There's two shipping methods. Free Shipping and Standard Shipping. As you show a shipping fee of $2.97, you've got it set to the Standard Shipping, and you're also getting a surcharge for Hawaii.
    So go in and get it set on Free Shipping, and see if there's a surcharge on Free Shipping too.
    Then phone, to see if that part of the online ordering is correct, and there is a surcharge. If there is, ask if they'll waive it. Nothing to lose by asking.

mtbr member
    May 2011

latest reconfiguration of the cockpit... 02Jul12

I've actually put in about 30 miles w/this new setup & I like it a lot better for shifting, control & braking power (w/the original MTB brake levers).

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-rtsd-02jul14-nwcckpit-frntrck-.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-frntvwhndlbrs-02jul14.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-nwcckpt-02jul14.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-rrvw-02jul14.jpg

mtbr member

Good job!

HI everyone I just bought my Dolomite at my Walmart Supercenter. I paid 225 for it and put ten psi in the tires. I weigh 294 pounds an fear the lower pressure might cause the tires to fail. I am a heart patient and bought the Dolo to use to get back into shape.
    My daughter saw it and thinks it looks like a monster bike with the four inch tires. I would like to change the tires out for some lighter skins. if I do that whjat type and what psi does anyone recommend? '
    Last edited by oldbear52; 07-06-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling errors

mtbr member
    Hi again! Rode it for fifteen minutes on a paved bike path near home. (snore). Ran great. I will hjave to get a longer seatpost though . there is only three inches left in the seat post when properly adjusted. Where can I order one that fitsa that is three inches longer than stock? I just don't want to have a failure while I go around the Lion's Club park trail near home. my daughter is planning joining me too. except that she will ride her trek.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Stripped out another set of cranks with very little seat time on the new set. Back to the old school Blackcomb until I figure out what to do with this bike. Considering picking up and XR-pro stuffing on a set of Knards.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    ... put ten psi in the tires. I weigh 294 pounds an fear the lower pressure might cause the tires to fail. ... I would like to change the tires out for some lighter skins. if I do that whjat type and what psi does anyone recommend?
    For nicer tires, you're looking at 120 TPI tires.
    On-one-floaters seem to be the most popular 120 TPI for the money. Available in black or some colours too. Colored On One Floaters
    You'll want to ditch the stock tubes as well. They're pigs for rolling, and they're heavy too.

You'll have to play around with the PSI to find what works for you. Try from six to 15 PSI, by 1 lbs steps. Then once you're close to what you like, vary by 1/2 lbs. steps.
    Different ground = different PSI.

Do look at this post for a list of things to do.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

For your seat post, try your LBS.

mtbr member
    Canoe:

I will try to get some lighter tubes to start. The Dolomite Is a pretty nice bike. yes the brakes needed some 'break-in' , but, after my ride they work fine. The seat will be the next to go. I want to put on a more traditional Mountain bike saddle like a Bontrager or WTB. I have been an avid cyclist for more than 50 years and a 'dirthead' for 30 or so. So getting a Dolomite is my way of getting active again after a three year hiatus due to heart problems. On pavement, it rides just like my 1940"s Schwinn Phantom that I rode when I was 11 and then modified when there were early dirt trails in our subdivision outside of Chicago. Later today, barring any rain, My 30 yr old daughter and I plan on riding on the dirt and gravel roads in the nearby Mark Twain National Forest for a while.

mtbr member
    Stripped out another set of cranks with very little seat time on the new set. Back to the old school Blackcomb until I figure out what to do with this bike. Considering picking up and XR-pro stuffing on a set of Knards.
    really? those parts are that bad? would it be worth it to do this? https://fatbeachbikes.com/TommiSea_S...bracket-detail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Canoe:
    I will try to get some lighter tubes to start. ...Later today, barring any rain, My 30 yr old daughter and I plan on riding on the dirt and gravel roads in the nearby Mark Twain National Forest for a while.
    It's a department store bike. Riding it without greasing the hubs, bottom bracket & headset has a high chance of either trashing or reducing the bearing life. Check that link.

The tires are not supple. The tubes are not supple. I haven't heard of much improvement with switching the tubes without switching the tires. No idea what lighter more supple tube you could use with the huge volume of the stock tires.

mtbr member
    Canoe:
    Anything am going to try first will be to reduce rolling resistance. I am going to try the Vee Mission tires as you suggested. annnnd replacing the tubes too. I went for that ride this morning. The stock tires are ok but I want something lighter. My daughter out distanced me on her trek wsd 5000 series bike and had to keep waiting for me. lol. As soon as I get my retirement next month I will order some at my lbd.
    by tje way I took the dolo to my lbs. they took apart my hubs and crank for 50 and lubed them up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Canoe:
    Anything am going to try first will be to reduce rolling resistance. I am going to try the Vee Mission tires as you suggested. annnnd replacing the tubes too. I went for that ride this morning. The stock tires are ok but I want something lighter..
    It's not just lighter. It's how supple they are, or they absorb too much energy rolling into the flat spot and back out again.
    For nicer tires, you're looking at 120 TPI tires.
    On-one-floaters seem to be the most popular 120 TPI for the money...

mtbr member
    Canoe:
    I went to the on one site but they are in Great Britian. I have never ordered anything from overseas. I was wondering what the conversion rate is, pounds sterling to USD By the way, my sister who still lives in Chicago went through the garage at the family home. She found the frame and wheels of my phantom and the Brooks saddle that my great uncle put on it. she is going to bring it down to me on her way through town. She said the tires are dry rotted, so, we are going to put it back into ridable shape to tool around town. She also found my 67 paramount road bike and that one I am giving to my nephew for his collection. Went riding at the trails in the park at subset, did three laps around a tame section of wooded trails, about 4 miles. the Dolo is preforming great. Noit creaks or mystery sounds of any kind.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Canoe:
    I went to the on one site but they are in Great Britian. I have never ordered anything from overseas. I was wondering what the conversion rate is, pounds sterling to USD...
    An example from March 2014.
    The other kind of "Clownshoe" now available.
    That site had them in black (one link/part listing) but are sold out as I write this, or in colors (another link/part listing; currently green & pink in stock).

A US link, but more $.
    Colored On One Floaters

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thank you for the link Spidennis. I am going to upgrade the bb and keep pedaling.

oldbear52, I ordered the On One Floater direct from the UK and it took about 2 weeks or so to get to Ohio. Cant beat the price if you dont mind a little wait. They send you an international tracking number as well. The tires perform 110% better than the stockers. With Surly tubes, my bike is noticeably lighter. It was 44 pounds with the Floaters and stock tubes IIRC. I haven't weighed it since with the new tubes. It makes riding the bike so much easier and it doesn't scrub as much speed. Not to mention the green looks great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just got mine today and put it together quickly. I noticed the front rotor is not aligned with the front disc brake. I tried loosening the adjustment screw they show in their video, but even with it backed out (and the brake inoperable), the rotor still rubs against one side. I'm assuming it's a different adjustment not shown on their youtube channel?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gpinzone View Post
    .. the front rotor is not aligned with the front disc brake...
    You might find a post on adjusting disc brakes here Brake Time

If no luck, you'd better throw a photo up here so we can see what's up.

(I assume your hub axle is properly seated)

mtbr member

Now my handicapped son wants one!

Now sin ce I have mine, My 29 year old Autistic son wants one. Seems he can't work the hand brakes So I am thinking of getting him a beast. He loves to spiun my pedals and keeps calling mined

ollymite and blue. Got the schwinn today and dug up smoke old ken da tires for it cleaned it up and now it sits in my bedroom . Haven't ridden it yet because I am too busy riding over at the lions club trails and running errands for my wife.

mtbr member
    I think it's time to consider a triple crankset for the Dolo. Rode the trails tonight and then hit the wallyworld with our trailer to get some groceries. I would like anyone's recommendation as to what triple to use. I put an old Bontrager saddle on it and ordered some tires and tubes from on one. On another post I wanted to know where I could get a longer seatpost. , but, the stock one seems to be working well enough. A friend saw the Phantom tonight and wants to buy it., funny what a little cleaning will accomplish. (didn't sell it.). My daughter and I rode about five laps on dirt and and four on pavement. I am running 12psi and it works well for the dirt and Ok for the pavement. so our total mileage today was 18 miles and my daughter is thinking of getting a fat bike too. By the way Academy Sports has Dolomites at $249.

mtbr member
    I think it's time to consider a triple crankset for the Dolo. and my daughter is thinking of getting a fat bike too. By the way Academy Sports has Dolomites at $249.
    keep us posted on that triple! I'd be thinking about doing the same …… so what was it, not high enough, low enough, or just more fine in that range? cause I use up all my gears usually and when I get a fat bike (maybe this one) I want to know what I'll have to do to it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Have you done the Megarange swap? That made a world of difference on mine. $18 in parts, including the tool to remove the freewheel.

Spidennis, add up the cost of this bike plus the upgrades you would do and then consider the Gravity Bullseye or another model. As much as I like the dolo, Im going to have to invest in a better bike for hitting the trails. Mine has seen a decent amount of street miles and only 5 miles of trail and I'm starting to chase one problem after another. I'm 6'2" 250 as well, so maybe I'm at its limits for a rider.
    Last edited by kelbo; 07-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the good info in this thread.
    After piloting a recumbent trike for a few years, while lusting for a fat bike, I just ordered a Dolomite.
    I'm looking forward to getting back in the dirt again.
    Again, thanks y'all.

mtbr member
    The Local Walmart Got two in and my 5'4" daughter snapped one up. Yes Kelbo I am going to get a Megarange thru my lbs. My daughter also ordered Two VeeRubber Mission tires for hers from Fatback in Alaska. They have 60tpi tires for $56.00. couldn't Ride too much today. 90 plus degrees Keeps me inside. I am a congestive heart failure patient. We are planniong to hit the trails at seven for an hour. My daughter stripped of the stickers except for the headtube looks cool. Added a Bontrager water bottle cage and a wireless Cateye computer. she rode around the apartment complex and then let her brother ride it on the grass. Seems he can handle the hand brakes pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thanks for this forum. ordered dolomite earlier today. i have a chance of having an enjoyable bike due to all the info you have provided. it will end up being a first e-bike build, but it's got to be right first. thankyou

mtbr member
    We rode for an hour and a half in the dirt. The sunset was nice and we found that the gearing does need to be upgraded. Climbing is okay but we need more variety. The new gearing should ease a little stress on our knees. there were a couple places that when I rode my trek single speed were just a little too rough. The Dolos wider stance and tread we just rolled right through. At the age of 62 I just needed a bike that would fit into my fixed budget, I am a retired radio dj and need to get back into shape.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... we found that the gearing does need to be upgraded. ... just needed a bike that would fit into my fixed budget...
    The Dolo comes geared for cruiser bike range.
    You can get the following parts used or new.
    (From past posts.)
    • Get that 7-speed 14-34T freewheel (or the 13-34T version). New, it's available for under $10 if you look around.
    • The stock front is 36T (teeth/tooth). You can get a double or triple front (22-32-42T), but then only use the 22T or 32T, by stopping and changing the chain over by hand when you're riding on the flat vs. on hills. If you find you want to switch a lot, then you look into adding the appropriate hardware to do that job.
    If you go back to the graphic at this post
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite
    the first line shows the gearing of the stock Dolo. Definitely cruiser range, from ~37.5 to ~75.5 gear inches.
    The light-green background group shows the 14T-34T megarange freewheel mentioned above, with the Dolo stock 36T front, and also with fronts of 22T, 32T and 42T.
    If you compare how much easier it is to pedal between the stock Dolo's lowest (~37.5 gear inches) and next lowest gear (~44 gear inches) (or any other gear), you can estimate how much easier it may be with the 34T of the megarange with the stock Dolo front of 36T, with that pairing providing ~31 gear inches. With a 32T front driving it, that 34T rear is down to ~27.5 gear inches, and with a 22T front, it's down to ~19 gear inches.

mtbr member
    Canoe-
    Thanks for your input. I am going to have my lbs install a Megarange. When my tires get here I think I can handle the install. my arthritis isn't too bad in my hands yet. LOL. I bought some park lube and we did the lube job ourselves on the daughter's Dolo. A nice thick layer. The headset was the lowest. In do have one complaint with the Dolomite though, it's a minor one, it would be nice to have a second set of water bottle bosses. My daughter uses a bottle and as hydration pack. Well got to scoot before the heat rises and my daughter has to go to work We are going to ride a seties of trails a little ways out of town.
    Last edited by oldbear52; 07-12-2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: mispelled words

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast