Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Rogue Exterminator
    Man, for $225 I may pick one of those up myself if they ever come back in.
    I can't justify Pugsly money for the couple times a year I might ride a fat bike but I can justify $225.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I can't justify Pugsly money for the couple times a year I might ride a fat bike but I can justify $225.
    HUH ?? Where do you get the fat bike is just a winter seasonal bike? Use your imagination and ride it whenever and WHEREVER. My Pugsley is great on city asphalt streets and a blast to ride .. and I can go places where my non-fatbike friends can't. Fortunately one friend is looking into getting .. probably a Mukluk hopefully sooner than later. He was so pumped when I told him that I bought the Pugs.

Sorry .. but your excuse not investing in a Pugsley just doesn't hold water. I am riding my Pugs year around, not just in the winter.

Rogue Exterminator
    It isn't an excuse, it is a reason. There is a difference.
    I know you can take a fat bike anywhere but my passion is not in owning a fat bike.

FYI, I can also take my 29er in the snow. It does great in hard pack. It just didn't do so hot on the climbs when there was 4" on the ground. Still me and a friend were the tracks that day.

Glad you like your Pugsly so much. You should, you bought it. However why does it seem to bother you so much that somebody could have just as much fun on a a bike that cost 1/10 the price or just doesn't need a bike of that caliber?

mtbr member
    It isn't an excuse, it is a reason. There is a difference.
    I know you can take a fat bike anywhere but my passion is not in owning a fat bike.

FYI, I can also take my 29er in the snow. It does great in hard pack. It just didn't do so hot on the climbs when there was 4" on the ground. Still me and a friend were the tracks that day.

Glad you like your Pugsly so much. You should, you bought it. However why does it seem to bother you so much that somebody could have just as much fun on a a bike that cost 1/10 the price or just doesn't need a bike of that caliber?
    Well your reason was flawed. But if you don't want one .. that's different. You read me wrong. I have no problem with you enjoying whatever you buy, but there are those reading these forums looking for advice or just trying to figure which way to go. To infer that fat bikes are just good for winter just isn't so. To each their own .. but lets be honest what fat bikes can do.

Perpetual n00b

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Well your reason was flawed. But if you don't want one .. that's different. You read me wrong. I have no problem with you enjoying whatever you buy, but there are those reading these forums looking for advice or just trying to figure which way to go. To infer that fat bikes are just good for winter just isn't so. To each their own .. but lets be honest what fat bikes can do.
    Give it a rest! It's damn bike not a cult!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Rogue Exterminator
    I am aware of what they can do and also aware of what I personally want it for if I ever get one. If I get one, I me be able to justify spending up to $1k on it but not $2k+. Even then, it would be hard for me to justify that since I don't make a lot of money.
    I don't have that in any of my bikes and I ride the piss out of them and certainly would not spend it on a bike that would get ridden the least.

mtbr member
    I am aware of what they can do and also aware of what I personally want it for if I ever get one. If I get one, I me be able to justify spending up to $1k on it but not $2k+. Even then, it would be hard for me to justify that since I don't make a lot of money.
    I don't have that in any of my bikes and I ride the piss out of them and certainly would not spend it on a bike that would get ridden the least.
    Umm .. I didn't spend $2,000. Got this way cheaper through REI, kids gave me a REI $200 gift card for Christmas, already had $111 coming back from REI in year end dividends AND since I ordered this bike days before Jan 1 and financed the bike on my REI Visa card I got 15% kick back dividend around $260 on top of everything else to cash out this month to apply to the bill. So after all was applied the final amount was around $1,100 for a $1,750 bike (including tax)
    You just have to know how to work it to save big on a better bike.

I don't make a lot either .. retired on Soc Sec and drawing on an annuity to supplement. But I won't waste my money on a bike that won't last long. Did that before and learned my lesson .. was a wasted $200 plus bike that I rode maybe five times. It was not a fun bike to ride. I hated it. Had I the opportunity to test ride it .. I never would have bought it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat85 View Post
    ...what kind of calipers are those? ...
    JAK-5, black, white, orange
    Detail:
    1. Casting alloy, one-piece design caliper body
    2. Optional spherical washer adapting structure, easy for caliper adjustment and mounting
    3. Mounting type:International standard mounting type & Post mounting type
    4. Compatable adapter : K1, K2, L1, L2, L3

Next: can we buy pads for these?
    (other than in bulk from alibaba or aliexpress)

mtbr member
    Nice Bike! I come close to getting a beast before ordering my On One. Probably would have gotten the Dolemite...sure looks to be a big improvement. I know what you are talking about in needing the upright position...it's all about comfort to me. I've change the bars of my Sawyer & Kona to Metropolis bars & ordered the On One with the On One Marys ....45 degree sweeps. Use to have adjustable stems on them also. Got a long set back seat post from Velo Orange on my Kona. Just got a tall nitto stem for my road bike for more upright riding on it! I've never cared that much about weight until I got this fat bike though....Just got it within a 1/2 lb of my Sawyer at 33lbs. Just makes it easy throwing it in the back of the truck. Fatty carbon fork coming in April!

You should have no problem getting it under 40lbs.
    I'm about to order the 40+ lb Massif for my daughter...hopefully I can nock about 10 off of it!
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Umm .. I didn't spend $2,000. Got this way cheaper through REI, kids gave me a REI $200 gift card for Christmas, already had $111 coming back from REI in year end dividends AND since I ordered this bike days before Jan 1 and financed the bike on my REI Visa card I got 15% kick back dividend around $260 on top of everything else to cash out this month to apply to the bill. So after all was applied the final amount was around $1,100 for a $1,750 bike (including tax)
    You just have to know how to work it to save big on a better bike.

I don't make a lot either .. retired on Soc Sec and drawing on an annuity to supplement. But I won't waste my money on a bike that won't last long. Did that before and learned my lesson .. was a wasted $200 plus bike that I rode maybe five times. It was not a fun bike to ride. I hated it. Had I the opportunity to test ride it .. I never would have bought it.
    I don't know if your persistence is because you love your bike so much that you think everyone should have one or because you are just so damn thick headed.

Whether you realize it or not, you are being an elitist.

mighty sailin' man
    you guys should use the ignore feature if it keeps up

good gawd man
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Rogue Exterminator
    I was done after that post anyways.

Back to the original topic and my original post in it.

Nice bike dude, for $225 I may pic one up myself when they get back in stock.

mtbr member

for $225 I may pic one up myself when they get back in stock.
    Looks like they are back in stock but the price went up $75
    26" Mongoose Dolomite Mens Fat Tire Mountain Bike, Navy Blue/Red: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Too late. Dolomite on Walmart website is $299 now! Walmart appears to be playing Economics 101 supply and demand games. Well, guess what... customers looking at this bike are price sensitive and will not pay the new price.

Rogue Exterminator
    That sucks but I have seen some fluctuations in price on the beast.
    Sometimes The Walmart site will even list the same items multiple times at different prices.
    It may come back down.

They could be raising the price to create a false sale.

I am in no rush anyways.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At $225 they had to be losing money. Plus I'm sure the bicycle buyers for Walmart are actual bicycle people. They probably visit these forums and are reading this thread

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It sold out in three days. If you were the seller, what would you do? Probably be thinking - jackpot!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    At $225 they had to be losing money. Plus I'm sure the bicycle buyers for Walmart are actual bicycle people. They probably visit these forums and are reading this thread

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I highly doubt they were losing money at $225. If they wanted to price it higher they should have done it from the beginning. By introducing it at $$225 they set a price floor and customer expectations. And now we wait for the price to go back down.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... It may come back down. ...
    Don't count on seeing $225 again.
    Look at the parts on a Beast, now add shifter, derailer, gears, disc brake hubs, discs, calipers & mounts, brake levers & cables.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What happened to "Save money, live better."

We all want to live better.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Glad the price went up; now it'll be a little easier to eschew something I don't need in socal.

Is dang happy!
    It will probably go on sale at some point in the future but that weak freewheel axle, cheesy BB/crankset and ridiculously heavy tires make it useless to me even as a "project" bike.
    The new low end fatties from Bikesdirict coming out this summer are a much better investment IMO.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Rogue Exterminator
    I agree, if you are going to try and upgrade it, you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot.
    If you want a cheap bike, get a cheap bike, ride it and love it for what it is. Just don't try and turn it in to an expensive bike.

Now if you have old parts laying around collecting dust as many of us do then sure, put them to good use.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseli View Post
    Can the stickers be removed?
    How long is the seatpost? Is it 27.2mm?
    Stickers can be removed.
    But once you get the bike in front of you, stop and look first. They're nicely done and make a great contrast to the paint. Once off, you can't put them back on.
    (I always remove the stickers from bikes, even before I grease the bearings and adjust the brakes. These I've left on. This probably won't last, but I can't bring myself to do it.)

Seat post measures 10.5" below the seat clamp.
    Post is labelled 028. The diameter of the painted seat post measures between 28.35mm and 28.50mm, typically 28.45mm (to nearest .05).

Rogue Exterminator
    I am guessing he is more interested in removing the stickers so people don't know it is a Mongoose and looks/contrast have little to di with it.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast