Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 2500
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    wow
    ~$70 a pair!
    Just took a look, and I'm seeing reports on the Mission at 1370g to 1420g.
    And a Vee8 at 1870g, but that was an early one.

    The tire on my Beast is 2829g and my Dolo tires look identical (haven't pulled one to weigh it yet).

    120 tpi will certainly roll better and be lighter than those pigs on the Dolo and Beast.

    The On-One Floater at 120tpi lists as 1670g.
    The other kind of "Clownshoe" now available.

    I know On-One Floater deal costs more than that VeeRubber deal, and weird colours, but any idea about performance differences?

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Dolo crank arm: 170mm, 219g
    They look a step up from Beast arms.

    Stock pedal: 197g

    That's 832g in arms & pedals. 1.83 lbs.

  3. #153
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    And a Vee8 at 1870g, but that was an early one.
    Yeah that was the earlier versions at 60 tpi.

    The new 120 tpi ones are around 1350 - 1400 grams. I ordered a set for some dirt use.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    415

    comment;

    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Handle bars and stem on backwards. Brilliant.
    bad back genius.

  5. #155
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by 02_NRS View Post
    bad back genius.
    Over and done with already genius.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Drive side:
    pedal, crank arm, spider & chain ring (36T) with plastic chainring guard each side, for 648g.

    Non-drive side:
    crank arm & pedal, 219g + 197g for 416g.

    Total: 1064g, or 2.35 lbs.

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Tire Weight Savings

    Dolo stock: two tires (2829g x 2) & two tubes (705g x 2) = 7068g, or 15.58 lbs.

    Let's assume worst case of 1400g for the VeeRubber Vee8 or Mission, and Q-tubes downhill 26x2.75 at 390g. Two tires (1400g x 2) & two tubes (390g x 2) = 3580g, or 7.89 lbs.

    weight reduction of 3580g, or 7.60 lbs.

    So, that reduced weight would take a stock Dolo from 49 lbs. to 41.3 lbs., and you get a lower roll resistance (a supple 120 tpi tire & a more supple tube), ~$70 plus tubes.

    good find duggus!

  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    If you guys are interested in lightening these up a bunch in the tire area... I just noticed this on Bikes Direct facebook page... $70 for a PAIR. The Vee8's are something around 1350 grams a piece... and the Missions are more.

    Info from them:
    Hey duggus, what facebook page are you looking at for Bikes Direct? I am not seeing anything on any Bikes Direct facebook page. I like the deal, but would want to pull the trigger if it is not legit.
    Thanks

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll2003 View Post
    Hey duggus, what facebook page are you looking at for Bikes Direct? ...
    Some hours after duggus's post I saw the info posted at another site too.
    I just checked right now and it's still up on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesdirect/122199864367

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    The $349.97 Walmart Mongoose Dolomite is turning up on a certain online auction site as a "Fat Tire Bicycle" and a "Fat Tire Mountain Bike". Asking over $500.

    No mention of Walmart nor of Mongoose. Brand given as "Pacific Cycles". Photos are retouched to remove the bike name "Dolomite" and most photos have "Mongoose" retouched out. Quotes about fat bikes are used in the ads, and include some photos that are not the Dolomite.

    One of the sellers is also listing the $200 Walmart Mongoose Massif as a "Fat Tire Mountain Boys Bicycle" for near $400.

    And there's a $200 Walmart Mongoose Beast painted camo up as a "Fat Tire Bicycle Cruiser" for near $600, appears to be stock except for the paint and the seat.

    sigh...
    Last edited by Canoe; 03-18-2014 at 04:03 PM.

  11. #161
    Is dang happy!
    Reputation: Mr. Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,172
    I would wait until the Gravity fatbikes from Bikesdirect hit the shore.

    Pre-Order is getting a slow start but their Facebook page claimed these prices a while ago.
    Bullseye Monster $499
    Deadeye Monster $449
    Deadeye $399
    Name:  847850d1384822621t-moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-1463065_10152201219524368_1051827414_n.jpg
Views: 5655
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  848033d1384881018t-moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-gravity-bullseye-monster.jpg
Views: 5026
Size:  41.8 KB
    Name:  848034d1384881021t-moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-gravity-deadeye-monster.jpg
Views: 7389
Size:  36.5 KB
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Some hours after duggus's post I saw the info posted at another site too.
    I just checked right now and it's still up on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesdirect/122199864367
    Thanks. I found it too. Bikes Direct has 2 FB pages, one has not been updated since 2011. The page is Bikesdirect no spaces.

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    235
    At sub $300 I would buy the Dolo just to cruise around with the grandkids and run the dog. At $349 I think it's a stretch. I don't want a full price high zoot fatbike. So what's driving up the price? Greed or supply and demand? I think I already answered my own question.

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    ...So what's driving up the price? Greed or supply and demand?...
    Or they needed to slow sales down so the staff at the shipping depot could go home to get a shower and some sleep.
    (kidding)

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    If you guys are interested in lightening these up a bunch in the tire area... I just noticed this on Bikes Direct facebook page... $70 for a PAIR. The Vee8's are something around 1350 grams a piece... and the Missions are more.

    Info from them:
    Thanks for the tip!

    Ordering up..
    I like bikes, and turtles. Well... mostly turtles. But bikes are cool also.

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    527
    the bikes direct bikes can't run the 5 inch tire. and have a very funky asymetrical frame.

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blown240's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    918
    Can a dolomite run a 5" tire?

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63

    A few more things AND my tires are about 4.7" across - looks like room for 5"(?)

    Here's the latest little additions-tweaks...

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-a01-rtsd-nwfrntdrllr-16mar14-.jpg

    I had to change the original front derailleur mount setup to get the derailleur more centered on the seat tube. Involved using another clamp (with a through-bolt setup) versus the previous clamp (beefier clamp but with a smaller and shorter bolt/screw at the clamp.)

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-a02-frntvw-nwfrntdrllr-16mar14-.jpg

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-a03-topvw-nwfrntdrllr-16mar14-.jpg

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-a04-dtlshot-nwfrntdrllr-16mar14-.jpg

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-rrrackadded.jpg

    Here is a cheap aluminum rear rack that I've owned for years (says Schwinn on it but I think it was after the original company sold-out to Pacific(?) or some other large international conglomerate.) I had to "thin the herd" for the wife so I re-donated the cheapo (bike theft is pretty prevalent here in Missoula... it really doesn't "pay" to have a nice bike.. :\ ) "campus bike" I'd built up last year for getting to college in Missoula. I just kept the rack from off that bike. I just bent the down-stays to clear the tire width and used an old weed-eater clamp and a clamp from an old broken MTB thumb-shifter as my seat stay clamps. The seat stay diameters are the same as most "standard" handle bars - convenient! I ended up hanging the front of the rack from the seat clamp through-bolt as the drop to the seat tube clamp was too steep and put the rack way out of level.

    Name:  MyDolomite_in_Gear-Inches(14Mar14).JPG
Views: 5206
Size:  46.3 KB

    I'm not sure about the Gear-inches chart - I used the one Sheldon Brown had created. This was with the stock 14-28 rear freewheel sprocket set. I might try to put on one of the "Megarange" Shimano units (14-34...) I can get one free at Free-Cycle Missoula... ( Free Cycles )
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-04-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Addedcaptioning to the text-body to aid in searching...

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    Here's the latest little additions-tweaks...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a01-RtSd-NwFrntDrllr(16Mar14).JPG 
Views:	1574 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	877923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a02-FrntVw-NwFrntDrllr(16Mar14).JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	877924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a03-TopVw-NwFrntDrllr(16Mar14).JPG 
Views:	532 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	877925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a04-DtlShot-NwFrntDrllr(16Mar14).JPG 
Views:	580 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	877926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RrRackAdded.JPG 
Views:	1836 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	877927Name:  MyDolomite_in_Gear-Inches(14Mar14).JPG
Views: 5206
Size:  46.3 KB

    I'm not sure about the Gear-inches chart - I used the one Sheldon Brown had created. I might try to put on one of the "Megarange" Shimano units (14-34...) I can get one free.
    I have the Shimano "megarange" 14 to 34 in back with a 23 granny gear up front, and it works good in the snow. The 34 is used more often than I would have thought. Anything solid, and I quickly run out of gears and switch to the 32 up front.

    Love the mega though -
    I like bikes, and turtles. Well... mostly turtles. But bikes are cool also.

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166

    Dolomite Self Steer

    My stock Beast had huge self steer on all surfaces and a healthy gyroscope effect when turning; distracting by times. That was greatly improved to rarely self steer and minimal gyro, with a 47mm trials rim in front with an Endo or Larry. Stock rim in front with a Larry was in between, and quite ride-able.

    Dolomite, stock:
    • little if any self steer on pavement
    • minimal self steer on packed snow
    • self steer in fresh snow, but very smooth and stable
    • minimal feeling of gyroscope effect when turning.

    wtf?

    Can the geometry make that much difference?

    (no dirt to test it on - all snow)

  21. #171
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Wow... BikeMan has outdone Bikes Direct on price! Not that the Missions are that great of tires and you can find them used all over... but not terrible, and can't get much better of a deal than this.

    DEAL OF THE DAY
    $24.99 Fat Bike Tires!!!
    48% off the Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0
    Bikeman Vee Mission 26x4.0 Black Folding
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  22. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blown240's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    918
    That's a great price. Looks like bike man has 60tpi and bikes direct were 120tpi. But still a great deal!

  23. #173
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    60TPI... but yes... crazy deal. Wow... really shows you what markup has to be if they are still making a slight profit on these. I'm guessing VeeTire is practically giving them away though with all their new tires coming out. I'm going to speculate that the Mission and Vee8 are possibly going to be discontinued and that is why these specials are coming out.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    im trying to decide weather i should get the gravity bullseye or Dolomite

    i was hoping any Dolomite owner can answer my questions,

    is the Dolomite frame and fork alluminum or steel ?
    whats the rear dropout spacing. and front spacing?
    how many spokes do the rims have?
    whats the BB legnth?
    is the fork threadless 1 1/8?
    what size is the seat post?

    im think about buying either one and just keep the frame fork and rims upgrade everything else completely. thanks
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blown240's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    918
    Steel Frame and Fork
    190 rear 135 front
    36
    about 175mm
    1 1/8 threadless
    28.6

    Personally I think the Gravity is a better buy. And I really like the Mongeese...

  26. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    thanks very much for the input, do you know how much it weights? since its all steel and heavy, i dont think the Dolomite is nimble.

    the Bottom bracket shell width is 175mm? wow thats wide. do manufacturers make spindles that long ?

    my goal is to build a fatbike around 35lbs on a budget
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  27. #177
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,714
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    im trying to decide weather i should get the gravity bullseye or Dolomite

    i was hoping any Dolomite owner can answer my questions,

    is the Dolomite frame and fork alluminum or steel ?
    whats the rear dropout spacing. and front spacing?
    how many spokes do the rims have?
    whats the BB legnth?
    is the fork threadless 1 1/8?
    what size is the seat post?

    im think about buying either one and just keep the frame fork and rims upgrade everything else completely. thanks
    it's about 50#
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  28. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blown240's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    my goal is to build a fatbike around 35lbs on a budget
    Dropping 15lbs from a Dolomite is doable, depends on your budget.

    Im doing something similar with a Beast right now. But ill have more into it than a gravity when I'm done. For me the build is half the fun though...

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    My budget is about $1200 total for the complete build. dont get me wrong, i can probably get an used surly or salsa for that much but i will still end up updating everything too. since i dont really care about brand name, i figure why not just start with a cheaper bike/frame.

    is the rear hub a freewheel or cassette?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    ...my goal is to build a fatbike around 35lbs on a budget
    There's lighter parts for not too much money, but if you want the lightest...
    Between quality light 120 tpi tires, tubes, stem, bars & crankset, you should be able to be awfully near 35 lbs.. But you're likely to spend more than the bike costs to get there. (example, a pair of 120 tpi Nates is 2 x $150). And you'll still have a frame without gussets with not the greatest welds and bottom end brakes. If you start replacing hubs, spokes & gears too, all in, parts and a Dolo could end up at three times the cost of the Dolo. Better ways to spend that money.

    What do intend to use the bike for?
    As in, light is nice, but how much bike do you need? There's many end goals where a Dolo is not the place to start from.

    Edit: $1200 budget. I would never start with a Dolo.
    And depending on your intended usage, compared to a "real" fat bike, it would be downright dangerous.
    I suggest you check the other threads, or start your own "Have $1,200, and want a fat bike for ______, what should I be looking at?"

  31. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63

    My post from another thread (the wrong one)

    So I got my Dolomite yesterday. The box was in good shape and other than a few, barely noticeable scratches, it's in great shape.
    My initial impression (as it was for The Beast) was that the tires stank to high hell. It went together fairly quickly. Didn't have to adjust the rear derailleur at all, but the brakes needed some attention. The brakes also didn't work initially, but after putting a couple miles on them, I can tell they're starting to break in, so I'm sure they'll be fine.
    The tires and tubes are heavy junk and I replaced them with some Missions and lighter tubes I had laying around. I also swapped the bars/stem with a much lighter set I had, so it's now at a svelte 42lbs.
    The gearing is a bit tall, but should be fine for just cruising around Folsom Lake and what not. I bought it so my girlfriend would have something to tool around on.
    The only other thing I may do is drill out the rims.
    Bottom line, for $224, it's a steal. At $349 (where it's priced now) not so much.
    This bike is cool, but if this was the only fatbike I was going to own, I would definitely get something nicer. The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolomite.jpg

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    There's lighter parts for not too much money, but if you want the lightest...
    Between quality light 120 tpi tires, tubes, stem, bars & crankset, you should be able to be awfully near 35 lbs.. But you're likely to spend more than the bike costs to get there. (example, a pair of 120 tpi Nates is 2 x $150). And you'll still have a frame without gussets with not the greatest welds and bottom end brakes. If you start replacing hubs, spokes & gears too, all in, parts and a Dolo could end up at three times the cost of the Dolo. Better ways to spend that money.

    What do intend to use the bike for?
    As in, light is nice, but how much bike do you need? There's many end goals where a Dolo is not the place to start from.

    Edit: $1200 budget. I would never start with a Dolo.
    And depending on your intended usage, compared to a "real" fat bike, it would be downright dangerous.
    I suggest you check the other threads, or start your own "Have $1,200, and want a fat bike for ______, what should I be looking at?"


    yeah, i sort of realized that Dolo is not the best platform to modified. this would be my only fat bike, garage can only fit so many bikes, ill have to sell my DJ to make room and free up some money to build it.

    what i have in mind is a cool cruiser turns some heads in town, and some XC riding. no serious trail riding. ill leave that to my suspension bikes.
    here is what i want basically. good reliable frame that i like. hope hubs 170/135. good drilled rims. 2 sets of tires one knobby set for trail. one slick set for street. hope tech m4 brakes. some good crankset. 1x9 saint or 1x10 zee. obviously for the budget these are some fancy parts , so ill have to hunt for deals on used parts.

    i think ill wait around till i sell my DJ to see what options are. ill probably get one from bikedirect anyways.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    ... what i have in mind is a cool cruiser turns some heads in town, and some XC riding. no serious trail riding. ill leave that to my suspension bikes...
    Warning!!!
    Once you try fat, with the fat tire suspension, you may find you end up going for a "real" fat bike with quality tires, brakes, etc. and a suspension fork. Your suspension bikes may gather more garage dust than you anticipate.

    Before you spend any money, make sure you test ride a "real" fat bike or two, or three. Different frames, rims, tires, etc., can feel rather different. There's a lot of threads for you to read.

    p.s. the right knobby and it does fine for street too, you've got fat air in there

  34. #184
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    my goal is to build a fatbike around 35lbs on a budget
    Have you looked at the Framed Minnesota fat bikes? I believe they are about 35 lbs stock and under a grand.

    On Sale Fat Bikes
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Warning!!!
    Once you try fat, with the fat tire suspension, you may find you end up going for a "real" fat bike with quality tires, brakes, etc. and a suspension fork. Your suspension bikes may gather more garage dust than you anticipate.

    Before you spend any money, make sure you test ride a "real" fat bike or two, or three. Different frames, rims, tires, etc., can feel rather different. There's a lot of threads for you to read.

    p.s. the right knobby and it does fine for street too, you've got fat air in there

    yes, yes, this is exactly what i was thinking. thats why i want to build it with all the goodies listed in my early comment. fat bike tires can go over terrains and its not heavy. i dont see why it wouldnt be a good trail bike if built right. its a very good idea to demo some fat bike like you said to see how i like them.



    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Have you looked at the Framed Minnesota fat bikes? I believe they are about 35 lbs stock and under a grand.

    On Sale Fat Bikes


    i saw those during research last night. honestly, i think they dont have better value to me then the bike direct ones , considering ill upgrade everything. and i dont like how the downtube its curved slightly at the headtube.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18
    akacoke, i'll be doing the same thing in the near future. hoping its worth it.

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63

    Shimano Megarange Freewheel (13-34) hub on my Mongoose Dolomite..

    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    My budget is about $1200 total for the complete build. dont get me wrong, i can probably get an used surly or salsa for that much but i will still end up updating everything too. since i dont really care about brand name, i figure why not just start with a cheaper bike/frame.

    is the rear hub a freewheel or cassette?
    FREEWHEEL hub...
    I just put a Shimano Megarange (13-34 tooth iteration - that's NOT a typo - this has 13 vs. 14 teeth on the small sprocket!?!) to replace the stock 14-28 tooth Freewheel hub on mine two nights ago.

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-mgarngfrhb-19mar14-.jpg



    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-ovrallmods-19mar14-.jpg
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-04-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Add captioning to searchable text...

  38. #188
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    I picked up a BikesDirect Fantom Pro a while back ($995). Outside of putting on some new tires, (cheap ones, at that), grips and replacing the big ring with a bashguard and swapping the bars out, it's stock and comes in at 35.5lbs.
    It's a great bike for the money and doesn't really need a lot of upgrading.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-fantom.jpg

  39. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    cool, looks like Dolos are back in stock again at $350 plus tax.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  40. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hannoonen View Post
    I picked up a BikesDirect Fantom Pro a while back ($995). Outside of putting on some new tires, (cheap ones, at that), grips and replacing the big ring with a bashguard and swapping the bars out, it's stock and comes in at 35.5lbs.
    It's a great bike for the money and doesn't really need a lot of upgrading.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantom.jpg 
Views:	3235 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	878684
    hey man, thanks for sharing, thats a nice looking bike, i like the fantom frame much better . i think ill go with that eventually. what size is your frame?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  41. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    hey man, thanks for sharing, thats a nice looking bike, i like the fantom frame much better . i think ill go with that eventually. what size is your frame?
    It's a 17". I actually ordered a 19", but they got shorted, so I got a $50 discount for getting the smaller size. FYI, I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and I love the way it fits. I'm glad I ended up with the 17" rather than the 19".

  42. #192
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akacoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hannoonen View Post
    It's a 17". I actually ordered a 19", but they got shorted, so I got a $50 discount for getting the smaller size. FYI, I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and I love the way it fits. I'm glad I ended up with the 17" rather than the 19".
    few questions : do the headset, hubs and bottom bracket have sealed bearings? is the rear hub loud? ( compare to hope pro 2) whats the front and rear hub spacing?

    do you mind posting more pictures if you have them? thanks
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

    My parts for sale

  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63

    Finished w/Mods for a bit(?)... (Tire PSI issues...)

    Done w/mods & "upgrades"(?) for now. Going on a longer ride today...

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-status-21mar14.jpg

    Turns out the 25 PSI was OK for my rear tire as long as it stayed below 32 degrees F! At 40+ degrees and with sunshine the rear tire blew off the right side (in a later post as well...) With this much volume expansion is a definate factor with the fat tires! :P (I'd made two other 7.4 mile round trips previously at 25 PSI with no issues - great road rolling / low resistance - but it was colder then...)

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-megarange-dtl-21mar14.jpg

    Picture of a gear chart from Sheldon Brown's site (In gearinches). The Magarange low gear has me at about 24 gear-inches with a small chain-ring of 28 teeth. That's close to what you need for loaded touring climbs, etc.
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-04-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add captioning to text body for searchability..

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    106
    Well I was one of the people that purchased the Dolomite at $349 last Sunday. I just saw that they dropped the price online to $299, but was still out of stock. I called walmart.com and since it was less than 7 days they honored the lower price and credited me. You can say all you want about Walmart, but I was pleased with the zero hassle for the refund on the price change.

  45. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bearhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    276

    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Wow... BikeMan has outdone Bikes Direct on price! Not that the Missions are that great of tires and you can find them used all over... but not terrible, and can't get much better of a deal than this.

    DEAL OF THE DAY
    $24.99 Fat Bike Tires!!!
    48% off the Vee Rubber Mission 26x4.0
    Bikeman Vee Mission 26x4.0 Black Folding
    I must have missed it. It's like $51 now


  46. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63
    Update on attempted ride last week:
    1) Rear tire sort of "blew off" to the right. (i mile from house)
    2) Suspected problem; I inflated the rear tire to about 25 PSI (@20 degrees F) a few days previously. Had ridden on a couple 7 -mile round-trip rides already - however, the day the tire blew off the right side (un-beaded) it was sunny and mid forties.
    3) Deflated rear tire, re-seated the right bead then hand-pumped (500+!) back to about 4 PSI. Limped a mile back home...
    4) Reset PSI to 21 PSI Front & Rear at 40+ degrees F. Re-rode about an 8-mile loop w/rough roads, high speed (down-hill on wash-boarded & potholed gravel road), etc. No more problems - THEN got sick, so yet to make the longer trip to town.
    Last edited by rotaidalg; 03-26-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Bad key-board - spelling/typing... proof read!

  47. #197
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,755
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    Update on attempted ride last week:
    1) Rear tire sort of "blew off" to the right. (i mile from house)
    2) Suspected problem; I inflated the rear tire to about 25 PSI (@20 degrees F) a few days previously. Had ridden on a couple 7 -mile round-trip rides already - however, the day the tire blew off the right side (un-beaded) it was sunny and mid forties.
    3) Deflated rear tire, re-seated the right bead then hand-pumped (500+!) back to about 4 PSI. Limped a mile back home...
    4) Reset PSI to 21 PSI Front & Rear at 40+ degrees F. Re-rode about an 8-mile loop w/rough roads, high speed (down-hill on wash-boarded & potholed gravel road), etc. No more problems - THEN got sick, so yet to make the longer trip to town.
    WAYYYY too much pressure.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    WAYYYY too much pressure.
    No kidding.

    Did you see the video of the Dolomite out in the forest? Look where he goes over some rocks and then later some branches. Tires look next to rock hard... ouch. Better him than me.

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    So I took out the girlfriend the beach the other day on the Dolomite (I was on my FB4). She absolutely LOVED it, which was pretty surprising, as she's very much a girly girl.
    I'm really looking forward to spending more quality fat bike time with her.

    Oh, and if anyone is looking to buy an FB4 Pro, I'm selling mine. I may or may not have accidentally bought a Specialized Fatboy today.

    Ooops!
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-fatboy.jpg

  50. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    Done w/mods & "upgrades"(?) for now. Going on a longer ride today...
    Close enough.
    With the Dolo's tires @29.375":
    • your 28T driving 34T is 24.2 G.I. and 1.93 MOD; with 170mm the gain ratio is 1.81,
    • at the other end, 48T driving 13T is 108.5 G.I. and 8.66 MOD; 170mm for 8.10 gain ratio.
    • your range is 348%.

    Once you've figured out a good tire inflation, with your sitting on it on flat level pavement or concrete, have someone measure from the ground to the center of the rear axle, then double that to get a diameter for calculating the actual values.

    Stock Dolo 36T, 37.8 through 75.5 G.I., 3.01 to 6.03 MOD, stock 170mm cranks give 2.82 to 5.64 gain ratio, range 100%

    From a recycle bike place, I picked up a MF-TZ-31 14-34T and a MF-HG40 14-34T; I've no idea what their difference is. Passed on a MF-TZ-__ 13-34T that was a little rough. Got the recommended protector too.With 34T, I was given many warnings about making sure the derailler limit is set right to keep it out of the spokes.

    With 14-34T on a stock Dolo, that'll give me 31.1 through 75.5 gear inches.

    With a 22T/32T front, I can get that to 19.0 G.I. through 67.1 G.I..
    Make it a triple to 42T and it's up to 88.1.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rolf Dolomite Wheel set for sale
    By Wiplash in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM
  2. Semi-rad.com took a jab at us!
    By jmmUT in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
  3. Rolf Dolomite Disc cracked rear rim?! WTF?
    By Wasmachineman NL in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 12:09 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
  5. Semi OT
    By pisgahproductions in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •