Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTrek View Post
    No, he removes the stickers so you wont cry when he rides past you on the trail and you realize he only paid $225, while your pedaling $8k of depreciating expectations.

Attachment 876350
    Pugsley decal set is only $15, so you can have a Dologley or Pugsmite for $240.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    BTW, there is a video on YouTube of a guy removing stickers from the Dolo and it is very easy. Once removed they are done for...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Stickers can be removed.
    But once you get the bike in front of you, stop and look first. They're nicely done and make a great contrast to the paint. Once off, you can't put them back on.
    (I always remove the stickers from bikes, even before I grease the bearings and adjust the brakes. These I've left on. This probably won't last, but I can't bring myself to do it.)Seat post measures 10.5" below the seat clamp.
    Post is labelled 028. The diameter of the painted seat post measures between 28.35mm and 28.50mm, typically 28.45mm (to nearest .05).

It looks like the post diameter is 28.6mm, the same as on the Beast. I have some 27.2mm seatposts that I will shim. Amazingly enough I found the exact shim size I need in my parts bin. No beer can will be harmed for this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    wow
    At $299.97 the Dolo is out of stock online already.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    And the Beast gone again too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    And the Beast gone again too...
    you can get the Dozer from eBay, rakuten or toys r us for 187.49.
    Toys r us has a $10 coupon too. Very good deal.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hopefully they don't up the price of the dolo anymore. I really don't think they can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sold out in three days at original price. Raised price $75 and sold out again in a day. Boys, I think they struck a gusher.

Looks like a lot of people were eager to get into fat biking at an affordable price point.
    I like bikes, and turtles. Well... mostly turtles. But bikes are cool also.

mtbr member
    May 2011

My Mongoose Dolomite 26" - w/ fenders, 21-speed & front derailleur..

The frame IS ALL STEEL - despite "aluminum/steel" in the description on the Walmart site.

Below I've attached some photos of what I've done so far w/my 26" Mongoose Dolomite... These include:
    -added a 3-chain-ring crank. (now 21-speed. Cheap steel Next brand with 28-38-48 tooth rings.)
    - Added a front derailleur. (Fabricated from old stock 3-ring derailleurs - be sure not to use any with shorter "bails"(?) made for 2-ring cranks...)
    - Made & installed some fenders.
    - Added a bottle cage.
    - Added a clamp to hold a hand pump on the seat tube. (This needs to be a bigger, high-volume hand pump!)

With this setup I have some chain rub on rear tire. Fender stays are made from 12-gauge galvanized wire (9-gauge wire would be stiffer).The fenders are fabricated from plastic landscape edging (6 inches originally w/the top & bottom removed for a 4 inch wide piece of flat stock...). Threading & routing the stays was a bit of a chore / conundrum - I only had to drill two small holes at each side on the rear of frame to fasten the wire stays w/small screws & nuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-01-leftsd-dolomite-fenders-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-02-pump-bottlecage-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-03-rtrear-fenders_etc-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-04-frntdrllrdtl-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-05-chainrub-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-06-lkngdwn-frntdrllr-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-07-rtfrntcrnkvw-lrgr-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-08-frntfndrcollage-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-09-staybrkintrfc-12mar14-.jpg  

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-10-rearbrksdstaysdtl-12mar14-.jpg  

Last edited by rotaidalg; 04-04-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add additional text to the body of post...

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by rotaidalg View Post
    OK, a couple of points & then some pics...
    1) This was only $225 - not $299. (Because of no sales tax in Montana?)
    2) The frame IS ALL STEEL - despite "aluminum/steel" in the description.

Below I've attached some photos of what I've done so far w/my 26" Mongoose Dolomite... These include:
    -added a 3-chain-ring crank.
    - Added a front derailleur.
    - Added a bottle cage.
    - Added a clamp to hold a hand pump on the seat tube.
    Hey fellow Missoulian I think you can get some better cranks (from freecycles) that might stick out more and eliminate the chain rub issue. PM me if you need a hand.
    $299 is the (new) price on that contraption BTW, will probably go on "sale" for $249.95 when the next container arrives from China.

I still have no idea how they can manufacture/ship a bike so large and heavy to your door so cheap... boggles my mind!
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Because fed ex or ups is giving them a great rate due to volume. Planes, trucks and trains have to move regardless if their full or not. Pretty sure the carrier would rather have them full.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dieseli View Post
    Pugsley decal set is only $15, so you can have a Dologley or Pugsmite for $240.
    Don't remove the decals... you should be proud of what you have. Putting other bike decals on just screams "this is what I really wanted but I suck at saving money". Taking them off says "I'm embarrassed". And everyone will know what you really have under your legs. Be proud of what you have.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You sure seem to really like
    We get who you are. You don't have to keep showing us, over and over. And over. And over.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I can't believe how fast these things are flying off the shelves...

You sure seem to really like
    We get who you are. You don't have to keep showing us, over and over. And over. And over.
    Is there a double-standard? Other people get to say stupid comments but I can't? It's a valid point. Be proud of what you have and leave the decals on. Otherwise you just look ashamed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Is there a double-standard? Other people get to say stupid comments but I can't? It's a valid point. Be proud of what you have and leave the decals on. Otherwise you just look ashamed.
    just report this user thats what i do then use ignore

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to duggus again.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    OK, a couple of points & then some pics...
    1) This was only $225 - not $299. (Because of no sales tax in Montana?)
    2) The frame IS ALL STEEL - despite "aluminum/steel" in the description.

-added a 3-chain-ring crank.
    - Added a front derailleur.
    - Added a bottle cage.
    - Added a clamp to hold a hand pump on the seat tube.
    Those are simultaneously the most craptacular AND awesome fenders I have ever seen in my life- Absolutely brilliant idea. My grandfather, who believed that there was nothing in life that couldn't be fixed with bailing wire, would salute you. Ride the hell out of that thing!

And that front derailleur is amazing.

I stand in awe at your bodging stuff together skills. Seriously, amazing work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Don't remove the decals... you should be proud of what you have. Putting other bike decals on just screams "this is what I really wanted but I suck at saving money". Taking them off says "I'm embarrassed". And everyone will know what you really have under your legs. Be proud of what you have.
    I doubt somebody in the market for this bike will spend $15 on stickers to make it something that it is not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Does anybody know the front hub spacing?
    The rear I think is 190mm?

mtbr member
    If I got a Pugsley I would put Mongoose stickers on it so no one would steal it!
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I would definitely spend 15$ on stickers, I plan too when I get mine. Most likely going to get custom stickers made. I'm prolly going to drop around 200 into the bike, as well as drilling out the wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is there a double-standard? Other people get to say stupid comments but I can't?
    Nope.
    If you're willing to repeatedly remind people what you are, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by puchcobra View Post
    just report this user thats what i do then use ignore
    Yet you are still obsessing over my posts?? But we do have one thing in common... I reported you too for that VERY CREEPY post where you found a video I had online of my son. You by far take the cake on most creepy person I have ran across on MTBR. So congrats stalking creep.

Anyway... Enjoy your Dolomites. And to the level headed people who say they are just getting one to try and don't have a problem upgrading some day... thumbs up! There needs to be more of you and less of the haters who can't stand a different opinion than theirs. Bikes! It's serious business!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseli View Post
    Does anybody know the front hub spacing?
    The rear I think is 190mm?
    Can't get a precise measurement without pulling the wheel, but a rough measurement indicates a 135mm front and a 190mm rear.

I don't know if the front tabs are for a 135 rear or a 135 front.

mtbr member
    Yup. 135 front, 190 rear

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...And to the level headed people who say they are just getting one to try and don't have a problem upgrading some day...
    You expect people to make decisions on only a duggas-approved basis?

While it would be a delight to have such a super uber high quality bike as you and your family presumably have, it is not required for what I and apparently a number of others need or want a fat bike for. Sorry that you're upset that we don't have the same requirement as you, or the funds to indulge in more bike than we need, but you'd likely stay further away from a stroke or heart attack if you chilled a little. Look after yourself so you can continue to enjoy life.

The Beast is gone.....what to buy for a replacement????

As past behavior is the greatest predictor of future behavior, I'm likely wasting my efforts in your direction, but at least you're "approving" the try-fat reason now, so perhaps there's hope.

Hooligan
    But not for what's in your avatar, right?
    Heh, no. this will stay a lot closer to the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    thank you so much for the pictures and info, it has swayed me. i will totally pick one of these up if i get the chance.
    But not for what's in your avatar, right?

Name:  dirtdawg21892.jpg
Views: 4071
Size:  1.8 KB
    Heh, no. this will stay a lot closer to the ground.
    Thank you!
    You didn't get back before now and you had me a little worried.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well aren't you a peach

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

This thread is sponsored by Brawndo the Thirst Mutilator.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What about the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puchcobra View Post
    you have zero comprehension zip nada i asked if that was a walmart toy bike that you bought for your baby mama. youtube is not creepin its public. you should know what you put out there, if not dont play poker if you cant read the room
    Houston, we have a problem...

over. the. line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Good job!

Awesome thread. I totally want one of these as soon as they come back in stock. I own a house in Maine we use for for snowboarding and some mountain biking in the summer. I keep a crappy hybrid bike in my shed up there to use to ride around town. This would be much more fun. I could even use it in the winter on the xc trails near my house. I've had my eye on fat bikes for 2 years now, but I just won't use one to justify spending a minimum of $1k. But for less than 300 bucks this would be ideal. I could get rid of the crappy hybrid and use this instead. When the winter comes I could ride this a few times a year when I have a down day at the mountain. Maybe in the summer I could ride on some of the snowmobile/atv trails to mix it up. This would not be primary bike, so for such little money it would be a blast to have. Also, in Maine nobody cares what kind of bike you own. No bike snobs around! Thanks for all the info/links/pics!

mtbr member
    May 2011

I Agree, Mr. Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Hey fellow Missoulian I think you can get some better cranks (from freecycles) that might stick out more and eliminate the chain rub issue. PM me if you need a hand.
    $299 is the (new) price on that contraption BTW, will probably go on "sale" for $249.95 when the next container arrives from China.

I still have no idea how they can manufacture/ship a bike so large and heavy to your door so cheap... boggles my mind!
    I couldn't believe the "free shipping" either - thought I'd need to do a "ship to store" instead... I thought about either shimming the rear axle a bit on the leftside but figured it would "unbalance" the disk brake setup. In the end it just isn't that big a deal - 1 area (about 3" long) of the rear tire right side is slightly bulged - the rest of the "rub" is just the little rubber knobs from the molding process - I actually usually stay 3rd-sprocket to small or middle chain-ring - pretty much like I ride my old Schwinn High-Plains "road" bike... I KNOW the gear-inches have to be higher due to larger outside diameter of those big tires - but it just hasn't been too noticeable yet. (The gyroscope effect of all that rotating mass sure is noticeable though! Gil at Missoula Free-Cycle thought I'd an over-tight headset! I let Gil test it out yesterday afternoon while I helped a neighbor set up a small bike for his son.)

Is dang happy!
    I couldn't believe the "free shipping" either - thought I'd need to do a "ship to store" instead... I thought about either shimming the rear axle a bit on the leftside but figured it would "unbalance" the disk brake setup. In the end it just isn't that big a deal - 1 area (about 3" long) of the rear tire right side is slightly bulged - the rest of the "rub" is just the little rubber knobs from the molding process - I actually usually stay 3rd-sprocket to small or middle chain-ring - pretty much like I ride my old Schwinn High-Plains "road" bike... I KNOW the gear-inches have to be higher due to larger outside diameter of those big tires - but it just hasn't been too noticeable yet. (The gyroscope effect of all that rotating mass sure is noticeable though! Gil at Missoula Free-Cycle thought I'd an over-tight headset! I let Gil test it out yesterday afternoon while I helped a neighbor set up a small bike for his son.)
    I can see Gil rocking it on one of those at bike polo...
    Last edited by Mr. Doom; 03-14-2014 at 05:25 AM.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Facebook has group called Mongoose Fatbikes that discusses the Beast & Dolomite as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/613073762054967/

some good upgrade info & mods people have done. just wish it was in stock online to buy. and at $225 price

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Price is up to 350$....still sold out. I wonder how much they're going to raise it.

While it would be a delight to have such a super uber high quality bike as you and your family presumably have, it is not required for what I and apparently a number of others need or want a fat bike for.
    Let's be clear... I worked and saved up for every bike that I have and my girlfriend did the same. I've built my 29er and Moonlander up from frame... over the course of a year, and added new things as money would allow. I work full time AND run my own design biz on the side to make money to support the things I like. I could get into a society rant here about how no one wants to work or save for anything anymore... but I won't.

SO SORRY that I told you your stem was on wrong and backwards... that was so terrible of me, right? I take it back... that is the correct way to set up a bike and is awesome. I'm sure the stem on backwards geometry won't hurt your back or cause any further damage. Ride on cowboy.

Perpetual n00b
    I've built my 29er and Moonlander up from frame... over the course of a year, and added new things as money would allow.
    What part of "Not everyone's requirements match your own" don't you understand?
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    What part of "Not everyone's requirements match your own" don't you understand?
    I was clarifying how I obtained my quote "super uber high quality bikes" (A steel Moonlander? Jesus, it's not like I'm on a carbon fatty) and pointing out how hard work can get you the "better" things in life. I started mountain biking on a Schwinn. It was a pile and I new that, but I didn't go into forums claiming it was the holy grail of bikes and everyone else who spent more was idiots. I new it was crap. I saved up and got a little better bike. Rode that, sold it, saved up more and got even better... etc etc.

And I've said many times I don't give an absolute crap what you guys ride... but I have every right to defend myself against ridiculous comments.

mtbr member
    OK .. my last post on this. I have back issues that required surgery several years ago, bad knees too. Has anyone given thought to if you have physical health issues that limit capabilities like me that an overly HEAVY bike might cause you further injury? I know I would have problems trying to safely manage a bike that heavy over obstacles, bumps in the road .. could be an accident waiting. Something to think about. Just be happy and SAFE with your ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...And I've said many times I don't give an absolute crap what you guys ride...
    And yet you keep posting the same or similar over and over.
    In threads you say aren't worth your time, yet you keep spending time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...SO SORRY that I told you your stem was on wrong and backwards... that was so terrible of me, right? I take it back... that is the correct way to set up a bike and is awesome. I'm sure the stem on backwards geometry won't hurt your back or cause any further damage. Ride on cowboy.
    This again?

You made a knee-jerk post, shooting from the hip with a cutting post, without bothering to read my whole post (the very first of this thread), where clearly under the photo was my apologizing for having the stem on backwards, and explaining why I did so.
    (sorry the stem is 180 out, I have back problems)
    You made a duffus out of yourself with a cutting comment. Too late, too bad, so sad. It's over. Move on. You're free! Fly! Go live! It Doesn't matter.
    No skin off my back, but do you really want to (need to?) keep reminding people of what you did? Is this healthy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    If my lbs started selling this kind of garbage, I'd find another lbs. At best, these bikes are poorly made to the point of being dangerous. I appreciate that they might serve as an entry point into fat biking, but they're so shabbily rendered, that in many, if not most cases, these bikes will be ridden a few times, then dismissed and abandoned as a pointless fad. As such they are more a disservice to our sport than a boon.
    Oh please. A $1,000 fat bike just isn't worth even trying to a lot of people, whether they can afford it or not. This opens the door and lets people try it out. Given the way fat bikes are typically ridden you actually think this thing is "dangerous and likely to kill someone?" Hell, if the head tube snapped off the frame at 10mph on a slightly bumpy sandy trail, your feet will hit the ground, stumble, and you will hop over the broken fork and be fine, similar to catching a foot on a vine trail jogging. The thing isn't a DH bike.

The real shame is they kept jacking the price up. At $350 I would say the potential buyers are now 10-20% of what they were at $230, which means it will likely only be produced for a year before its discontinued due to "lack of sales". I kind of wish I had snapped one up instead of building up my single speed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree w/the part about low-speed accidents. Personally I'm not going to do any radical riding- I just wanted to determine if one of these types. Of bikes can actually replace the role & mobiliy of a horse (freshly plowed fields, truly "off road" (or trail), etc.
    ? Bombing down-hill @ high speeds, popping wheelies, jumping - none of these for me.I first test-rode a Salsa Mukluk back in 2011- was intirgued by the concept but knew I couldn't justify the price of a used car for something I didn't really need or even knew if I would like... I think $350 isn't beyond most folk's means - but I AM glad I got one for $225!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Back in stock...
    $349.97

Wonder how many they have up for sale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    $350 isn't beyond most folks means, but I do believe it is about the point where it is above the value/risk. The $200 range is still "disposable income" to most, where if it turns out to be crap or they just don't like it it's not a huge loss. Exceed that number by much and it quickly turns into a case of "just spend the extra little bit" and get a real/trusted fatbike from bikes direct/nashbar, instead of a "toy", which will hold its resale value better if nothing else.

If you guys are interested in lightening these up a bunch in the tire area... I just noticed this on Bikes Direct facebook page... $70 for a PAIR. The Vee8's are something around 1350 grams a piece... and the Missions are more.

Info from them:

FATBIKE TIRE SPECIAL

For loyal followers/newsletter members only:

VeeRubber 120TPI folding tires
    Either VEE 8 or MISSION models

only $69.95 a pair delivered 48 states {$79.95 in AK & HI}

To order, simply send an email titled "Fat Bike Tire Special" to bd4holiday@gmail.com
    We'll reply with a Paypal money request at this ridiculous price!

THIS IS FOR A PAIR! Not just a single tire; we know the price is insane, but hey it IS a promo deal!!

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast