Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-brake-logo.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-rear-derailer.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-right-grip-controls.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-crank-arms-pedals.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Why on earth do we have to justify anything we do to something we own? It's your bike...to quote ShockG, "Doowhatchalike."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    canoe, thanks for posting all these pics!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    welcome

I figure it's important that anyone considering getting one of these knows what they're getting.

p.s.
    I drive an AMC Eagle. The 258's been baked, re-centered, mild over-bore, balanced, wide-band high-torque cam, upgraded HO head, HD valve springs, upgraded carb, HV coil & ignition module, 8.8 silicone wires, large core rad. And a swamp-cooler for those long trips.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat85 View Post
    ... Any idea of what the stand over is?
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    I can change the stem. I can't change my back.
    I had back surgery back in '99 herniated disc so I doubt that your back is any worse than mine. I found that leaning forward over the bike makes my back feel better, not worse.
    This set up that you have .. so much more straight upwards actually puts more stress (pounding) on the lower back going over a bump. I advise that you set the stem and bars properly and give it a try for about a month or more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    If my lbs started selling this kind of garbage, I'd find another lbs. At best, these bikes are poorly made to the point of being dangerous. I appreciate that they might serve as an entry point into fat biking, but they're so shabbily rendered, that in many, if not most cases, these bikes will be ridden a few times, then dismissed and abandoned as a pointless fad. As such they are more a disservice to our sport than a boon.
    Yup ..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Some room to save weight for sure. But still just a hi ten steel frame and fork. Hit a few good jumps and that fork is done for. Also would be concerned with buckling at the top and down tubes and also at the brake side seat stay. Any gussets on there?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    kris7047th, Thanks for your suggestion, but my issue isn't a herniated disc, and the back is only one issue. Between the fat tires & sitting upright I can ride. Without them, two minutes is around the limit, and I pay afterwards.

mtbr member
    The shipping waybill says 49 lbs..
    Bathroom scales say the bike is 50 lbs.., but it does have a tiny front light and some dirt on it now...

When I get the time, I'm going to pull the tires and weigh them and the tube. Going to try split-tube tubeless to see how that rolls with losing the inner tube.

I took near 4.5 lbs. off my Beast with a DH tube and a Larry on the front, along with a token contribution from a drilled rim. Do front & back, for near 9 lbs. off. (assuming it's the same tire & tube weight as the Beast).
    HOLY CRAP that is HEAVY !! My Pugs weighed only 35 lbs stock. The Pugsley frame is steel also.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-photo.jpg The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    kris7047th, Thanks for your suggestion, but my issue isn't a herniated disc, and the back is only one issue. Between the fat tires & sitting upright I can ride. Without them, two minutes is around the limit, and I pay afterwards.
    Bummer about your back. Like I said in a thread I started I am healing from a broken pelvis which has aggravated my lower back as well. I dunno .. a bike that heavy. Have you lowered the PSI in your tires? That will help smooth out the bumps considerably and ease any stress on your back.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    Any gussets on there?
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-frame-crop.jpg

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-seat-tube-bb.jpg

Hooligan
    thank you so much for the pictures and info, it has swayed me. i will totally pick one of these up if i get the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Specialized builds their bikes out of homeless children.

mtbr member
    I can sympathize with Canoe about his cranky back. Me, I cannot ride leaning forward, because then I have to bend my neck up to see where I'm going, which pinches a nerve in my cranky neck, and my right arm "falls off". So I use a BMX bar and a cruiser saddle on a full suspension bike, and I can get around all right. My 2 cents. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    HOLY CRAP that is HEAVY !! My Pugs weighed only 35 lbs stock.
    Yup.
    Loose around ~9 lbs going to 120 tpi Surly & DH tube on front & rear. Another ~400g saved if you 1.5" hole the rims... plus containing rim tape. Cranks will be heavy, but won't get you into Pugs range.

From Beast rim. Note that centered between nipples/holes, that the other side's string of holes is not exactly alined. Not material to its requirements, but not optimum either.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-1.5-inch-hole-template-beast-stock-100mm-rims.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliotN View Post
    ... So I use a BMX bar and a cruiser saddle on a full suspension bike, and I can get around all right. My 2 cents. :-)
    I checked the spacing today. I suspect a BMX bar will be ideal for me, with or without the drop-back seat post. Thanks!

... I dunno .. a bike that heavy. Have you lowered the PSI in your tires? That will help smooth out the bumps considerably and ease any stress on your back.
    It's both bumps (degree and their character) and the stress. The fat tires, tested from 3 psi to 25 psi on Larrys and Endos, do their part fine for taking care of the bumps. Without fat, I can't ride without significant pain. A Beast with a 120 tpi Surly front is fine.
    Remaining is a position issue, nothing to do with bumps. I need to be upright.
    Heavy? Yes. But I get to ride. Priceless.
    And I'm certainly not racing. Nor going any of the places I used to take a bike long before there were these strange things called Mountain Bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    thank you so much for the pictures and info, it has swayed me. i will totally pick one of these up if i get the chance.
    But not for what's in your avatar, right?

mtbr member
    Hard bumps can jar the back and neck. I also have compression in my neck but that issue is minor compared to my back and knees. I have had two knee surgeries on the left knee .. '77 had reconstruction and miraculously it has held up all of these years.

Have you test ridden a Surly Pugsley or another fat bike like the Kona at a LBS? You may be surprised the ride that you will experience, and if you do the same weight shaving mods you will get the bike ridiculously lower = a better ride and easier to manage. Even when you do shave off 10 lbs on the goose or whatever .. by the time you add fenders (who wants to get a wet mud strip up their back going through puddles?) a seat bag with tools and gear it will get right back up there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have you test ridden a Surly Pugsley or another fat bike like the Kona at a LBS? ...
    Yes.
    That's how I determined that near fat was an improvement, and fat worked, but standard geometry didn't work for me.

Yes, it's heavy.
    Heavy just means I get there later instead of sooner.

But I get to ride.

mtbr member
    Yes.
    That's how I determined that near fat was an improvement, and fat worked, but standard geometry didn't work for me.

Yes, it's heavy.
    Heavy just means I get there later instead of sooner.

But I get to ride.
    I hear you on that! I also was diagnosed with severe Osteoporosis several years ago .. effecting my left hip mostly. Through a nasal med back then and now through diet I have been able to keep it checked at moderate. When I fractured my pelvis 8 weeks ago, the doctor believed I had RE fractured it (1st time 1989) So this time was a little scary for me at my age of 63 and 125 lbs 5'5" lady .. would it heal properly and would I be able to ride again which I need to do for my health to keep my bones strong .. enjoy getting outside? This ran through my mind as I dealt getting around on crutches in pain, the difficulty of sleeping at night because the fracture would not allow me to sleep on either side. So I would wake up with miserable lower back pain on the hour. I don't know what was worse .. the fracture or my back .. lol .. 8 weeks later it is all behind me YAY !!

Still .. I can't stress enough to visit a reputable bike shop. Let them know of your disabilities and they will measure you and fit you to a bike that won't hurt you down the road.

mtbr member
    Have you given thought about a Ritchey adjustable stem? This is what was put on my Trek 520, recommended by my friend who manages a bike shop and I ordered my bike through.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-photo.jpg The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-photo.jpg

This bike is my pride & joy. My friend whom I ordered this through (a Trek dealer) did upgrades/orders with physical my issues in mind. I LOVE this bike. The Ritchey stem brings the bars up and a bit closer to me for a more upright position .. and it has adjustable positions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yup. BMX bars and an adjustable stem. I was aiming for the Ritchey, due to the way it secures the adjustment (haven't found anything close yet). Haven't determined if 100mm or 120mm will be required.
    I will be going for a drop-back seat post too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolo, frame crop.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	876150

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolo, seat tube, BB.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	876151
    Can the stickers be removed?

How long is the seatpost? Is it 27.2mm?

Thanks for all the info!

mtbr member
    Yup. BMX bars and an adjustable stem. I was aiming for the Ritchey, due to the way it secures the adjustment (haven't found anything close yet). Haven't determined if 100mm or 120mm will be required.
    I will be going for a drop-back seat post too.
    Dayum .. a good post will cost more than what you paid for the bike!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast