Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The Dolomite is slightly heavier due the the new components. Other than the bars and stem, I don't think there are any weight-saving changes since the Beast. If the Beast bothered you, chances are the Dolomite will too. Honestly, I'm used to really good equipment too. I raced and rode BMX back in the day, I've ridden my Ducatis on many race tracks, and I have built lots of high performance machinery in the last 30+ years...I get it.

To me, the Beastomites are not like about that. The bikes wear a Mongoose badge, but they are not the bikes I raced as a youth. These bikes are about access to a segment of a sport that has a high price to access. These bikes are so cheap that they will bring new riders in the sport...that's mostly great...new riders can change public awareness and grease the wheels of progress. If more riders want to access public spaces, laws can change to allow that -- more bike lanes, more trails, etc. More people to buy components means that manufacturers may make more components. More riders may mean more cool people to share the sport with. More riders may mean that more of us get off the couch and get into the wind.

At any rate...do you get what you get what you pay for with the Beastomites? Yes and no. Sure, the bikes are ridiculously cheap and you have to expect/accept many shortcuts. But are they really that bad? If I'm used to the high-grade machinery, these may seem inferior by comparison, but in my opinion, they are far more competent than their price would suggest. For the cost of a set of good Surly's skins, you get a WHOLE bike.

Yeah, I know, you can get a cheap fatty elsewhere too...what $700-800? That's a deterrent for people who don't already know what you know. Say they buy a $200 Beastomite, ride it, then start to figure out its shortcomings, and if they want to mod it. They may mod it to the point where they've spent the same money or more anyways...so what? They have got a bike they built and they may LOVE. Is an $800 bike finished? No...it will probably have some weak stuff, and some marginal stuff too.

My point is, we're all bikers, and biking is a sport that thrives when shared. It's healthy to share ideas. If you're lucky, smart, rich, and/or you eat Top Ramen and make other sacrifices to buy the good stuff because you are a good rider, wanna be a good rider, or you just want every advantage, that's awesome! Not everyone does that. The Beastomite rider...that person may just become a new great friend...that person may be the tipping point to open some new snow trails, ya nevah know.

Who do people count on in a zombie apocalypse? Darryl Dixon! The Beastomites are the Darryl Dixons of the FatBike world!

/rant

mtbr member
    Well said and well done, Volt. I like your style. I hope all your Beastomite dreams and visions of the future come true. Except the zombie apocalypse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm one of those people that bought a beast after not owning a bike since I was a kid...now I'm buying either a Sun Spider or a Origin8 Crawler

mtbr member
    I modded my Beast to It's practical limits and loved it. Just got a new Pugs on a bro deal and getting used to it. Working my way up to carbon and/or suspension Fattie someday. The beast was good training and progression keeps me enthused.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Well said and well done, Volt. I like your style. I hope all your Beastomite dreams and visions of the future come true. Except the zombie apocalypse.
    Thanks you for the kind words, perhaps I gotten wiser with the years...I still obsess over details and efficiency, but I've come to realize that there are other factors at play and not everyone is as crazy as me.

I'm like shank3r in that I've come back to bicycles after a long time away. I've worked on some great bikes lately, and I caught the bug again. But carving a grand (or three) out of a budget built for a family of 4 probably to buy/build a baddazz fattie would keep me bike-less for some time. The Beast seemed like a cheap way back...and it's much better than the pricetag would suggest -- which ain't saying much, but I work with what I've got, and create miracles where I can!

I picked up a Dolomite as well, because, well, it was...you know...more...and still cheap...yeah, I know. My plan was to electrify one, or both, and sell one, or maybe use one for a sidehack mod of the other...or I'll sell one and make a sidehack out of a Massif, I dunno...in uncharted waters here...it'll be cool though!

BTW, I treat the zombie apocalypse kinda like the CDC (CDC EPR | Social Media | Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse). I really don't think there will be one...earthquakes and hurricanes are a lot more likely, but hey, if you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, you're ready for anything!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliotN View Post
    Hey there. Me, I use a BMX handlebar, leaned back a little. That's what makes me able to ride at all. You might want to try that, Canoe.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-beast-stock-cruiser-bars-adjustable-stem.jpg

That's my stock Beast with cruiser bars & and adjustable stem. Once I go for the drop-back seat-post:
    a BMX bar may work with the right stem. With the bar in the photo, doing a 180 with the stem may be enough for the Beast and the Dolo, or I may end up using the fully curved cruiser bars I have laying around. A BMX bar would certainly provide a nicer hand position, and much easier to do the power pull/crank when a drop-back seat post provides somewhat of a crank-forward geometry. Perhaps the curved cruiser for the Beast and a BMX for the Dolo... I'll have to check out their sizes, and clamp.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was hitting my heels on the chain stays a few times.
    I got curious.

Tread/Q-factor

Beast Dolo
    Tread 9 1/2" 9 23/32"
    outside-outside spread of chain stays at inner rim 7" 8 3/16"
    rear axle center to crank shaft center 19 29/32" 18 3/4"
    rear axle center to pedal center ~13 1/8" ~12"
    clearance, chain stay to crank arm LH 24.45mm
    RH 20.0mm
    LH 9mm
    RH 8mm
    wheelbase 43 15/16" 44 1/2"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Photo showing measurement points.
    NOTE: photo was taken with a wide angle lens, fork turned, etc.. It is impossible for a photo to be "on axis" for every part of the bike, so do not try to do a relative measurement of the photo nor take angles off the photo and expect them to work.

Attachment 875390
    Wow, thanks for the great info! :-)
    DaveH
    '13 Specialized Camber
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '11 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Canoe,

Can you comment on the bike components? Drivetrain (number of teeth, crank length, quality of pedals), stem length, hub widths. What brand are the brakes? Do you think that we can get replacement pads? How long is the seat post? 27.2mm diameter? Schrader valves? How about the shifter? Does it work?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hows the bottom bracket and crank? I know that the Beast had some issues with the crank. I wonder if that was fixed?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseli View Post
    Canoe,

Can you comment on the bike components? Drivetrain (number of teeth, crank length, quality of pedals), stem length, hub widths. What brand are the brakes? Do you think that we can get replacement pads? How long is the seat post? 27.2mm diameter? Schrader valves? How about the shifter? Does it work?

Thanks!
    it's a $225 bicycle from Wally-World. The components are going to be garbage.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    it's a $225 bicycle from Wally-World. The components are going to be garbage.
    Understand. I want to know what I am starting with so that is does not become a $500 "$225 bicycle from Wally world". If so, I would just rather buy a $500 bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    if you have a spare parts bin to work out of it's not a bad deal. 100mm bb, 190 rear hubs spacing. it doesn't need the 100mm rims though. a vee rubber snow shoe is going to be the largest tire that will fit. and from what i have read that tire works better on a narrower rim.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Putting good parts on a Walgoose is like hot-rodding an AMC Pacer. No matter what you put on it, it's still a Walgoose, it's still heavier than a bicycle has a right to be and it still has its inherent flaws, just with some shinier bits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Putting good parts on a Walgoose is like hot-rodding an AMC Pacer. No matter what you put on it, it's still a Walgoose, it's still heavier than a bicycle has a right to be and it still has its inherent flaws, just with some shinier bits.
    Here is a link of a friend's Pacer X he built for his daughter.

1976 Amc Pacer X Harrel Lamkin Photo 7

It won Hot Rod Editor's Choice on the Power Tour. I really can't remember the year.

Galen

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Now you are just getting carried away. You shouldn't really care what bike they are riding or how much they spent on it. Do what you want, and spend $$ on what makes you happy. Yes, it is a Wal Mart bike, and the stern opinions and feelings towards them is what drives the hate for the bike.

If your lbs had the exclusive rights to sell it, you would not hate it nearly as much. Not saying you wouldn't dispise it, but you wouldn't **** your pants with anger when you heard it's name mentioned.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    If my lbs started selling this kind of garbage, I'd find another lbs. At best, these bikes are poorly made to the point of being dangerous. I appreciate that they might serve as an entry point into fat biking, but they're so shabbily rendered, that in many, if not most cases, these bikes will be ridden a few times, then dismissed and abandoned as a pointless fad. As such they are more a disservice to our sport than a boon.
    Last edited by Gigantic; 03-11-2014 at 06:02 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is it a cassette or freewheel on the rear wheel?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm def thinking about buying this, drilling out the wheels, upgrading crank/derailleur, and new stem and bars. I hope that its running a cassette but I know i'm just dreaming. I'd like to get it under 45lbs....think that's possible?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    You can probably save 8-9 lbs. by just changing tires and tubes. With the other mods you've mentioned, the weight will likely be under 40. I believe it's a freewheel on the hub.

Perpetual n00b
    Anyone pulled and weighed the cranks and BB yet? I bet there is a lot of weight to be saved there.

And before anyone lambasts me for upgrading a $200 bike, I have bins of parts that have long since been paid for.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'd probably be buying new parts but i figure it'll still be less than 500 total. I'm really surprised wal mart came out with a bike like this. The best part about it is you can actually upgrade things. I'm thinking bb7's some orgin8 fat bike tires, drilling the holes myself and maybe going tubeless. Should be interesting to say the least. I just can't justify spending thousands on a surly or salsa for a "fun" bike. Maybe if I had an unlimited income id splurge and get something like that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Front brake started dragging. It was a quick adjustment to the caliper.
    Front & rear discs are labeled 160 mm.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-rear-brake.jpg

(orange cast is reflection from my coat)
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-front-brake.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Colour is nice.
    Paint run just to right of center in the photo (top of down tube, very close to head tube, tucked in under the top tube). Otherwise, the paint is done nicely.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-dolo-colour-run.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Doesn't look half bad...what kind of calipers are those? Any idea of what the stand over is?

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast