Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Its a 1947 Phantom with the original springer fork and stripped of fenders rear rack and tank

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    ... he doesn't have the motor skills to activate the hand brakes or shifters...
    Understood.
    If he needs easier pedaling, you can go for a larger gear at the rear. You might have to file the dropouts to let the axle forward a tiny bit (1/8") with the stock chain.

It should be the same stock tire as the Dolo, but if you need to limit his speed, remember to let some air out of the tires. A friend controls the top speed of her child's bike that way. If he can handle more speed, you know about 120 tpi tires and a lighter tube for an easier roll, and an appropriate rear gear.

For another with steering challenges, we made that more stable for that child's needs with careful selection of the pressure in the front tire. For another, a bike with both a rear lever activated rim brake with coaster brake so he could "learn". He finally was using only the lever brake, so he "graduated" to a kids mountain with levers for front & rear. Watching closely, as he's still coasting and delaying while he looks to see which lever(s) as he's used to one.
    Last edited by Canoe; 1 Week Ago at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Canoe:
    He and I went for as ride and he used the Phantom. I rode the Dolo With the new tires(The surly Larry 3.8)) He worked the brakes well and It was just an around the block ride to see how he could handle a bigger bike. Both of us did well. we made three laps , about three miles of sidewalk/path path. He did put his feet down but by the middle of lap two he was using his feet on the coaster brakes. He is 5'9" and weighs 160. I am just waiting for the bike to arrive for him. they say monday next week.

mtbr member
    is anyone having trouble with the stock Shimano Tourney derailleur's inability to hold the chain on the 34t cog?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I missed this earlier
    Mongoose Argus - Alloy Fat Bike
    210 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, 100mm cutout rims, 4″ Vee Mission tires, 0 stack headset, three sizes (SM, MD, LG), ~34.35 lbs.
    $999
    First Look: 2015 Mongoose Argus – alloy framed fat bike | Mountain Bike Review

Another site says they'll be selling direct to the consumer.

The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-mongoose-argus-fat-bike-2014-2015.jpg

p.s.
    (I've no issues yet with the 34T.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I saw the thread for it too.....maybe when I do my taxes I will be able to afford one. I had to tinker with the adjustment but it works fine I haven't had a use for the 34t. as far as the Argus goes I hope that it is as good as they say the videos were ok. I will probably keep the Dolomite for hauling groceries

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Canoe - As far as the new mongoose goes I wonder just who will handle them? LBS? Or mail order direct from Pacific?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mongoose.com
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks skota. Canoe: I finally got the the tire pressure figured out 10psi for all around riding. My son needs a little less like 8psi. We went for a ride this afternoon. Went to national forest recreation area and rode for a hour and a half. a few climbs and a lot of loose gravel alongside a creek. I was pretty tired when I got home and so was my daughter. Weight loss for the week two pounds (289). Found out that the creek is a blue ribbon trout area so we are planning to bring the trailer and our fly fishing gear Saturday. (and a little beer for a treat after we ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    By the way UPS brought my son's bike toady. After fifteen minute of assembly he rode around the apartment. Gonna post some pics as soon as my daughter retrieves her camera from her storage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    just put mine together and went for a ride. Very flat canal trail. Didnt use 34 gear til the end, going up hill in parking lot. It jumped off. Just wanted to see what bike was like before I start with the improvements. Didn't even check tire pressure. Didn't look low. What a beast. Wore me out. With seat at right height, front bars sucked. Too low for me. Earlier recommended on-one Marys a definite thought. Definitely need something with a longer tube. Don't think just reversing the stem will help or an adjustable. That thing needs to come up and hands back. Got the new megarange. Waiting for new bearings and other stuff. Will then go to LBS and get tuned. Hopefully no shift issues then. Thumb shifter has arrived. Tires on the way in August. Not many decent mid drive options for this bike. 100mm BB eliminates the ones I really wanted. Oh well. Keep searching

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1324 View Post
    just put mine together ... Didnt use 34 gear til the end, ... It jumped off.
    If it's stock, the lowest is 28T. Some megarange go to 34T.
    Cables may need adjusting, and it's common for cables to stretch with initial use and need readjusting.

> Didn't even check tire pressure. Didn't look low.
    Dolos usually arrive over inflated. For fat bikes, you adjust the tire pressure for the best ride on the terrain you're on. Many fat bike newbies ride their fat bikes with way too much psi.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

Different tire pressure can make for a very different ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    You'll have to play around with the PSI to find what works for you. Try from six to 15 PSI, by 1 lbs steps. Then once you're close to what you like, vary by 1/2 lbs. steps.
    Different ground = different PSI.
    > front bars sucked. Too low for me.
    A number of bars possible. As are adjustable stems. And there's always BMX bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just started looking into front suspension forks for my Dolo. Won't be doing anything extreme on the bike. Can't seem to find anything reasonably priced yet. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just started looking into front suspension forks for my Dolo. Won't be doing anything extreme on the bike. ...
    Start with what would you be doing with a Dolo that you need more front suspension beyond what a front fat provides?

Talking front suspension has you sounding like you're heading beyond the few basic parts that improve one's Dolo experience (plus paying a LBS to do it?) and into bigger bucks for suspension forks that may cost more than everything else so far.
    You could quickly find yourself in territory where having spent that total money on a better bike to start with, would give you much more bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i had no idea how expensive they are. I guess there is no such bird as an inexpensive suspension fork. not much of a used bike or parts in my area either.I think they haven't been making them for fattys very long either. oh well. It was just an idea
    Got it.
    Assembled.
    First ride.

Attachment 875305

(sorry the stem is 180 out, I have back problems)

mtbr member
    i had no idea how expensive they are. I guess there is no such bird as an inexpensive suspension fork. not much of a used bike or parts in my area either.I think they haven't been making them for fattys very long either. oh well. It was just an idea
    I believe the Rockshox Bluto just came out earlier this year....only about $650. Cheapest bike that comes with one is the Sturgis Bullet Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I found that the Fat tires more than make up for the lack of a suspension fork. Is the geometry of the Dolomite suitable for a suspension for k in the first place? Or is that rock shock made to work on a Dolomite?
    My dolomite is plenty cushy for me,

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    I found that the Fat tires more than make up for the lack of a suspension fork. Is the geometry of the Dolomite suitable for a suspension for k in the first place? Or is that rock shock made to work on a Dolomite?
    My dolomite is plenty cushy for me,
    Good questions. I need to play with air pressures more. And get more seat time before I think about it any more. Upgrades tomorrow except new tires. At some point it will become electric. Then I may have to think about it again.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Mongoose Argus - Alloy Fat Bike
    210 drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, 100mm cutout rims, 4″ Vee Mission tires, 0 stack headset, three sizes (SM, MD, LG), ~34.35 lbs.
    $999
    First Look: 2015 Mongoose Argus – alloy framed fat bike | Mountain Bike Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mongoose-Argus-fat-bike-2014-2015.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	908709
    That's a big box brand for you. They still go with $999 instead of $1000.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Gearing, I need to know about the low range . I do a lot of riding on the beach and now I'm towing this trailer using beast wheels. I'm in the first gear , the granny gear a lot of the time on the trek bike, but then the second gear is quite a jump . from what I saw the spacing of the gears is pretty close? Is is low enough for me? could I change out the front chain ring to get me into a better lower range?

also, I don't see any fat bike on their website? how many gears does this have? is it a x1 or x2 on the front?

yeah, I'm in the market for a fat bike to replace that trek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite-img_4891.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    Gearing, I need to know about the low range . I do a lot of riding on the beach and now I'm towing this trailer using beast wheels. I'm in the first gear , the granny gear a lot of the time on the trek bike, but then the second gear is quite a jump . from what I saw the spacing of the gears is pretty close? Is is low enough for me? could I change out the front chain ring to get me into a better lower range?

also, I don't see any fat bike on their website? how many gears does this have? is it a x1 or x2 on the front?

yeah, I'm in the market for a fat bike to replace that trek.
    The Argus isn't out yet. Coming.

You can use lower teeth count chainrings and get into easier pedaling.
    Same for larger rears.

To compare gears from one bike to another, use Gear Inches. If you're in your granny you know how that feels. Same for your high gear. Calculate what those are in Gear Inches, then if you calculate Gear Inches for bike's you're looking at (or new components for your drive), you have an idea what to expect. For example, knowing all the gears lets you know they'll be a jump between the granny and the next one, or is the lowest just very low and the rest spaced evenly from there.

Back in this thread, there are a number of posts showing the stock gearing of the Dolo vs. some easy and cheap upgrades of the freewheel and chainrings, in gear inches. There's even making a custom stack freewheel so there's useful gears without big jumps.

If you measure the diameter of your tire and give me the count of the teeth on the front chainring, and the gears on the back, I'll give you the gear inches for you.
    Or try here Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Easy by hand
    Gear inches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you can incorporate the crank arm length to get a Gain Ratio to compare the whole of the mechanical advantage from one setup to another.
    Gain Ratios--A New Way to Designate Bicycle Gears

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Stem raiser and short adjustable stem ordered from Amazon. This should get the bar up and back and may allow for a variety of handle par choices with this greater adjustability

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    what type of spray paint should be used if I paint the handle bars

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Does anyone know what the stock crank arm length is?

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Byookanun View Post
    Does anyone know what the stock crank arm length is?

pretty sure its at 170 x36T

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast