Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Does Winter Fat riding replace indoor trainer session

Last winter i spent 2 evening sessions a week on the trainer in the garage doing 2x20's or other lactic level sessions. Alternate weekend days were skate or backcountry skiing depending on snow conditions.
    This is our first (my gf just got the 9zero7 i built for her) winter on fat and i'm wondering if anyone here does specific interval efforts outside on the frozen white landscape or is it mostly still recreational in nature?
    i still very much plan to skate and bc ski but fat will be a large component of my winter.

thanks.
    Don

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I used to commute to work as training. I would do intervals on Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon on my way to and from work. Friday I took the long way to work to try to get in 5-9 hour ride.
    Because the effort on the fat bike tends to be more erratic, I would use it as my interval training.
    These days my training is less structured and more about getting to places.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've given up on training during the winter, my "A" races are usually end of August or early September followed by cyclocross season. I try to ride enough to keep my weight gain down to 7 pounds. Last winter that meant ZERO trainer time and a couple of fat bike rides per week. No intervals, just riding through the woods, across the frozen lakes and through the snow covered fields.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping so.
    The reason I bought a Pugs was so I wouldn't have to do the trainer on my road bike. I hate being inside! So far, so good. I don't expect to gain anything really, just maintain. I'd think pushing that heavy bike has got to do something power wise though! I noticed that my cruising speed on my road increased by 4mph after 2 months of Pugs Sundays singletrack riding.
    Here's to hoping!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    I'm hoping so.
    The reason I bought a Pugs was so I wouldn't have to do the trainer on my road bike. I hate being inside! So far, so good. I don't expect to gain anything really, just maintain. I'd think pushing that heavy bike has got to do something power wise though! I noticed that my cruising speed on my road increased by 4mph after 2 months of Pugs Sundays singletrack riding.
    Here's to hoping!
    This is what I'm hoping too. Don't see any reason that intervals aren't possible either. I'm unlucky enough to have a flat rail trail by my house and thinking that may be a great way to get in fatbike intervals over the winter.

I'm planning on riding trails when I can to mostly have fun and maintain though. I hate my trainer and riding indoors. Huge reason why I bought a Pugs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Strictly my own opinion, but for me: Fat Bike equals FUN, intervals not so much!

I'd also say that intervals outside on a fatbike, or skis, has to beat inside on a trainer.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Strictly my own opinion, but for me: Fat Bike equals FUN, intervals not so much!

I'd also say that intervals outside on a fatbike, or skis, has to beat inside on a trainer.
    I count skate skiing as interval or effort work, so too when we skin up our small hill for 25min (the 5min dh part is just plain fun). so i'm guessing that working hard for 20min a few times a ride would be pretty close to that.
    Certainly training alone inside can suck; fortunately we have friends that invade the garage and it turns into a relatively enjoyable social effort that soaks the concrete floor.
    And to be honest, an hr or 2 on the rollers on a track bike watching a tour stage is far from the worst thing too.
    :-)

Living the thug life.
    No way, there is no replacing the shear enjoyment of interval sessions on the trainer. Nothing.

I have yet to realize that, so I stopped riding my trainer years ago and hit the winter hard on my bike, never looking back. I have done 3 hour trainer rides, now I enjoy life so much better and actually can ride hills and other hard stuff instead of trying to simulate them.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Replacement for increasing your VO2 max? I don't know.

An alternative for GOING INSANE on a stationary bike in your garage? HELL YES.

Sincerely, a heavily biased guy who hates watching people dispassionately plod along on treadmills who also will later complain that exercise isn't fun enough. Sorry people, it can be really fun, you're just unimaginative.

Good luck dude, get outside this winter!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Anything on a bike outside is better than indoor training.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I made it easy on myself by promising to never refer to ANYTHING I do for fun, as "training".

If I had an office job, I'd get paid to go and get some additional training on new equipment, technology, whatever. Me time? Uh uh. Ain't trainin' nuttin', I know how to have fun, no training required.

As it is, I ride, I smile, somehow, the lbs stay away, and I can ride, hike etc, faster than my inconsistent riding pals.

I go Fat all winter if snow is deep enough. Snow sucks? I ride studded tires to avoid icy wipeouts. No ice? The studs provide additional resistance, as close as my mind gets to the training mindset. Feels so nice in the Spring to take 'em off....

I would rather have a full body wax, followed immediately by a chilled rubbing alcohol bath than ever spend a moment doing anything static in nature, that could be done whilst in motion.

Plus, the outdoor air smells and feels SO much better than acrid pain cave stank.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Moderator Moderator
    Yes it will replace your indoor trainer session. The fatbike is the first step of your 12 step program.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    What is an indoor trainer?

mtbr member
    I found weather had a lot to do with the amount and the quality of riding I was able to do last winter. Weird weather and snow conditions made some rides a real challenge.
    I plan to dedicate 2 sessions per week on the trainer this winter in addition to my Fat riding.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I haven't touched my trainer since buying a fatbike two years ago. I'm selling my trainer.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix View Post
    What is an indoor trainer?
    A hot young chicko who magically appears everytime you need a workout and assists in any way you want
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Anything on a bike outside is better than indoor training.
    Running my pe***r through a meat grinder would be more enjoyable than spending time on the trainer
    And I love beer!!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Both your mind and your needs a break. Riding a bike in the winter gives you exercise on a bike and refreshes your mind. A trainer doesn't refresh you at all, it just sucks more out of you mentally.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    Last winter i spent 2 evening sessions a week on the trainer in the garage doing 2x20's or other lactic level sessions. Alternate weekend days were skate or backcountry skiing depending on snow conditions.
    This is our first (my gf just got the 9zero7 i built for her) winter on fat and i'm wondering if anyone here does specific interval efforts outside on the frozen white landscape or is it mostly still recreational in nature?
    i still very much plan to skate and bc ski but fat will be a large component of my winter.

thanks.
    Don
    No. I stopped using a trainer 15 years ago. Riding outside is always better.

Training? Stopped doing that, too. I just ride as much as I can/want to.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In the long run it has to be fun and to me moving along outdoors is way more fun than indoors. I have done intervals on icy trails with studded tires on a regular mountain bike and found it a little tricky. I just got my first fatbike and expect there will be lots of opportunity for hard efforts on snowmobile trails. But I've moved on from the detailed training plans to the RFF (ride for fun) plan, so intervals are only when I feel like it now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i have friends that absolutely abhor trainer sessions. Personally i can get on the indoor pain train while watching a mtn stage on the TV for an hour after work pretty easily. THAT being said this is my first dark season w a fat bike so who knows how i'll feel. I do think it'll be great to have options instead of being forced to do indoor work though.
    Exercise (riding/trainer/skiing/gym) sucks if you don't want to, inversely its awesome anywhere anyhow if you do want to :-)

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    A hot young chicko who magically appears everytime you need a workout and assists in any way you want
    Oh you have one to.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    UPDATE: well january 14th and i JUST set my bike on its trainer for the first time yesterday....however the ONLY reason for that is i'm about to go for minor surgery but the recovery is extended and the doc said i can ride inside for the first week or 2.

After that I have no aspirations to ride indoors in any way shape or form now though! outside is better and the workout can be as gruelling as i choose. This is a seriously great sport and a seriously good 'training' tool. Though now i must admit Fatbiking is the top rung in my interests (i have track/road/cross/tt all available...) and aside from a great week in Virginia we do every spring on the road bikes....Fat has my heart it seems. :-)

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    UPDATE: well january 14th and i JUST set my bike on its trainer for the first time yesterday....however the ONLY reason for that is i'm about to go for minor surgery but the recovery is extended and the doc said i can ride inside for the first week or 2.

After that I have no aspirations to ride indoors in any way shape or form now though! outside is better and the workout can be as gruelling as i choose. This is a seriously great sport and a seriously good 'training' tool. Though now i must admit Fatbiking is the top rung in my interests (i have track/road/cross/tt all available...) and aside from a great week in Virginia we do every spring on the road bikes....Fat has my heart it seems. :-)
    Likely story - my bet is the real reason is that you miss the day time soaps! Can't watch the boob tube if you're outside all the time, but on a trainer it's a given
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I ride a bike everyday, and make it a point to do so, some days not so hard, some days real hard. This goes for road riding, mountain bike riding and as of almost 2 weeks ago, Fat bike riding. It is over 2 years since I was on my trainer. Like th OP said the fresh air and scenery beats sitting in a room full of stagnant air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast