mtbr member

Does '12 Mukluk 2 come w/ 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed everything else

Does '12 Mukluk 2 come w/ 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed everything else?

I know there has been lots of discussions about chain rubbing tire issues and other drive train issues on fat bikes but I was dialing in my drivetrain the other day and it occurred to me that I've never seen a SRAM 9 speed direct mount.
    Anyone have any insight on this?
    In the middle I get chain on dérailleur rub at either end of the cassette. It would be great to blame a derailleur cage that wants a skinnier chain.
    -G

Karma Vampire

Does '12 Mukluk 2 come w/ 10 speed front derailleur and 9 speed everything else

I can answer your first question. Yes, 3x10 FD and 9-spd everything else. That is how my 2012 Muk2 came.

I have since messed around with mixing in a few more 10-spd parts.

Levi Early
    My '13 came with a 10sp front derailleur. I swapped everything over to a 10 speed set up. The chainline gets really close in my small ring and 36t rear w a Nate but it does not rub.

Smash Mode: ON
    I got mine to stop rubbing like that by rotating the derailleur a bit. Took a little trial and error but I finally found a position that worked. Then I took it to my lbs for something unrelated and he rotated it back, doh!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    I built my 2012 Muk2 from a frame. I could not find a direct mount 9 speed FD available anywhere. The difference is very slight. The outside dimensions of 9 sp and 10 sp are only about .015 different (1/64th of an inch).
    As mentioned above, pay close attention that the FD is parallel to the chain in the middle sprockets and you should be golden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If you use a thumb shifter it is not a problem, Maybe that is why they originally spec 'd them with grip shift. You can overshift past where it would stop with triggers.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    If you use a thumb shifter it is not a problem, Maybe that is why they originally spec 'd them with grip shift. You can overshift past where it would stop with triggers.
    Uh...that's what limit screws are for.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, but you can move the front deraileur to where it doesn't rub using thumb shifters or grip shift . Trigger shifters are 1 position only. This helps when using 10 speed front der and 9 speed chain.