Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you still use other bikes offroad?

Over time I have found myself using my fatty for everything offroad. As I usually ride alone, I have no issue with the slightly lower pace & find I can ride everyting with ease (Except rocky downhill!)

So, does everyone ride a mix of bikes, or like me, has you fatty become the bike of choice?

I guess this is dependant on where you ride, but I am just interested to see how many people use them year round as their primary bike.
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Absolutely. Riding my Muk3 is a lot of fun, but it doesn't come close to the enjoyment I get from my trail bike.

mtbr member
    I just can't get on with mine now. 26" Ragley Bluepig always seems harder work & less fun now than the fatty.
    So much so, I have decided to sell my last 26" bike & put the funds towards a moonlander for beachy stuff, use the 907 for trail riding / touring & I am just finishing my LHT for road stuff.

But of course, this choice relects the area I ride in 90% of the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i used to have 6 bikes so decided a clear out was needed, then i saw fat bikes and thought what the f*$k lets go for it
    so i sold my modern stumpjumper to fund my black ops pug

i now just have one road bike - cervelo s1 dura ace for dry days

and for the rest of the year black ops pug with BFL, loads of tompson gear and soon to be xtr mechs

i know i am a bit of a tart

stubbster

mtbr member
    Sounds like a winner to me stubbster

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Still riding my other bikes but if Im being honest it's more out of a sense of duty ;-), was out on one of my road bikes today (Genesis croix de fer with mudguards) but I rode my Mukluk yesterday, Ill be on my Genesis Lattitude for tomorrow nights forest ride (currently fitted with 2.1 ice spikers) and then on Tuesday I'll be riding my Singular Kite ss cross bike.

I then expect to ride the Mukluk on Thurs and Fri before switching again to my other cross bike for the weekend of cross bikes.

So, I guess the answer is a resounding yes :-)

Geordie biker
    Erm, rode my hybrid bike once in 4 months, everything I do is on my pugsley or moonlander, even going into town or doing small messages....
    2014 cannondale badboy 9
    2014 salsa beargrease
    2014 milage so far - 2,026
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Nuts
    Still ride my Niner air 9 for an occasional race. Not sure why I would have more fun on the fatty and I don't podium anyways.
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I ride a 26er FS bike with 6"+ travel and slack angles as well as 29er hardtail with more XC geometry and a 4" fork. My Pug makes 3 MTBs and sees the least rides.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have a lot of fun riding my fat bike on dry singletrack. but there's no question my trail bike is a "better" tool for the job. faster, more comfortable, and doesn't beat me up nearly as badly as the fully rigid fat bike.

i'm pretty sure i can ride anything on the fat bike that i can on my Turner, just not as easily.

mtbr member
    Pug is good fun on soft stuff and for general trailbreaking activity, but my SS Karate Monkey cuts singletrack like a knife and I find my 1x8 cross-check is ideal for on/offroad stuff especially when significant distance needs to be covered on the way to the trail.
    Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology

mtbr member
    When on my Trek 6.7 road bike, sometimes I have to cut through trails to get to where I'm going. I get strange looks from people riding their mtb and seeing a full carbon road bike with carbon road wheels on the same trail. Of course, I'm not bombing through it.

And when I want to bomb through the trails on dry days, then I take out my Trek Top Fuel 9.9.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Haven't ridden anything else since I got my Mukluk2 the week of release. And actually, my Trek Fuel's tire went flat (running tubeless), came off the rim, so now I have to redo the Stan's. Whoops.

mtbr member
    Not exactly possible at the moment...

mtbr member
    Truthfully, I haven't touched my other bikes since I got my Muk. Then again, I haven't seen any dirt or pavement since I got it either. I'm curious to see just how much I can use it come spring/summer/fall.

Chronic Underachiever
    Surly Cross Check and GT Peace 29er Multi.

Smash Mode: ON
    Not sure my Klein will ever see dirt again. At least not under my ass. Kind of bitter sweet really. Oh well, she will do a great job of pulling the kiddie trailer around town.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

=========
    I ride other bikes. Variety is the spice of life.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

@adelorenzo
    I have no choice but to ride the Pugsley 5-6 months of the year on snow. I love riding it but by the time spring rolls around I cannot wait to put it away in favour of the road bike and the mountain bikes. After six months of winter I am f--king ecstatic about putting that beast away in the spring, to be honest.

I never ride it on dirt other than for a laugh now and then. My 29ers are lighter, faster and more fun.

Oji
    Jun 2008

Interesting

I'm finding this thread very interesting and informative, so thanks to the op for getting it started. More to the point, thanks to the folks who have been candid in pointing out the fun and virtues of their "thin" bikes. I own and ride four bikes, the most saddle time being spent on a Turner 5.Spot for trails and a Niner MCR built full rigid with an Exotic carbon fork that I use for commuting and general purpose bike path/fire road riding. I have been giving serious consideration to buying and building up a fat bike and almost pulled the trigger on one a couple of times. Reading this forum has piqued my interest and lust for a fatty, but I've been concerned that dropping $2-3k might also be associated with a brief honeymoon followed by relegation to dust collecting and an occasional ride. No snow here in central NC, and the fun factor of the Turner on trails is hard to beat. Hearing some frank opinions contrary to the general (and quite understandable) buzz that a fatty is all things wonderful has my caution flag up. I don't NEED another bike...well, I will spring for a new frame when Turner releases a 650b bike :-). Thanks for the thought provoking posts.

ouch....
    I guess I'll be the odd one....my trek ex9 only got ridden for my 2 week bike trip through colorado and utah last year.
    Everything else has been on the fatty. Just too much fun.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I seldom get out and ride technical dirt. When i do, i tend to ride my fatike since it is best set up for bikepacking. My FS MTB is my least used bike. I think it is going up for sale this spring.

mtbr member
    My other mtb is a reasonably light, rigid drop bar 29er... it's not going away any time soon.

if the pugsley is like a rock crawler- slow, extremely sure-footed but nothing I'd want to ride for 30 miles (YMMV), the 29er is more like a rally car- faster, more out of control and a whole hell of a lot of fun over longer trails.

mtbr member
    Semi fat, regular fat, & super fat, My ideal bike collection is at last finished, each has an equal ideal roll for cycling here on the coast,

Semi fat, Regular fat, Extra fat by coastkid71, on Flickr

The plan is to use them all but probably the pugsley will still see the most use.

The fat 29er is my idea of a `light` bike . ideal on my local sandy singletrack with road work in between the trails,

The pug it does it all, plus is ready to camp or bivvy,

In favour at the moment the new Moonie, my `sports fat` for extreme float where needed on the coast and dune surfing
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    After going FatÖ..I recently sold my Stumpjumper and have been debating selling my Rockhopper. I am keeping my Roadbike and Uniís.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast