Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011

Do Fat Bikes shred single track?

They look fun, seen videos of bad ass riders shredding them, have seen some cruising along local trails. For the experienced fat bikers out there, do they shred single track and take drops like a skinny tire mountain bike?

ouch....
    If you are good rider and the bike is setup for it, yes. They are awesome shredding machines ,
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Yes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I find on techy stuff they are awesome, climbs tough stuff well, and planting them into a corner is very fun.

Levi Early
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I find on techy stuff they are awesome, climbs tough stuff well, and planting them into a corner is very fun.
    all of this is true. I shred every bit of trail I can on mine. It is the most I have ever had on 2 wheels.

Nemophilist
    Well...

I'm not sure about drops, but I am starting to feel like I can ride my Fatty harder than my Niner in most cases. Climbing, not so much, but I always hate that.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Nuts
    Back when I was a strong rider I could kill it on a fatty, now not so much. I hope to change that someday and to once again leave the skinny bike all lonely parked in the garage. Short answer yes
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member

Yes. I'm a light guy, but on pedally stuff and climbs I can keep up with the fastest in my group, on some descents I'll get dropped. I take drops of 2' or so, but that's all I'll take on any bike.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

dvn
    mtbr member
    It's difficult to get used to how hard you can corner on the fat bike. Traction is amazing. It is definitely fun to smoke your buddies on their traditional bikes! That said, I am still faster on a given loop with my FS 29er.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyknobbies View Post
    For the experienced fat bikers out there, do they shred single track and take drops like a skinny tire mountain bike?
    No. They shred single track and take drops like a rigid fat tire mountain bike.

If you would have fun riding a rigid skinny MTB on your trails you'll have fun riding a fatbike on your trails.

You'll also be able to explore places your skinny MTB would struggle with and ride in the winter if you get snow in your neck of the woods.

Ideally get a test ride on your local trails so you can see for yourself what is what.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

If you would have fun riding a rigid skinny MTB on your trails you'll have fun riding a fatbike on your trails.
    Rigid skinny MTB's are only fun for masochists. I take mine out once in a while to remind myself why suspension was invented.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Rigid skinny MTB's are only fun for masochists. I take mine out once in a while to remind myself why suspension was invented.
    I would agree. My point to the OP was if you aren't keen on shredding your local trails on a rigid MTB don't assume you'll enjoy doing it on a rigid fatbike - just because a world class rider did it in a video.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    I would agree. My point to the OP was if you aren't keen on shredding your local trails on a rigid MTB don't assume you'll enjoy doing it on a rigid fatbike - just because a world class rider did it in a video.
    That is a good point. I have a fat frame to build, was thinking if it is going to be a fun shredder, I would sell my current whip (hardtail with big fork up front) and just go FAT.

mtbr member
    That is a good point. I have a fat frame to build, was thinking if it is going to be a fun shredder, I would sell my current whip (hardtail with big fork up front) and just go FAT.
    Build up the fatty and see what happens. If you are happy trailing riding on it then sell the other bike. If not keep both.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I've been splitting my time riding single track with fat bike and my rigid 29er.

I'm faster on the 29er on both the ups and downs and it's toss up which gives a more comfortable ride. The rigid 29er with 2.4 tires is so much more nimble I can steer around hits rather than tank over everything. It's also 14 pounds lighter, so it's much less work to speed up after slowing down for an obstacle. I'm definitely more "worked" after riding the fat bike on the same trail.

The fat bike ride is really fun in it's own ways. I especially enjoy cornering fast and being able to completely relax through messy loose gravel sections.

if you want to "shred" single track, it's probably not the best tool for the job. If you are looking for a fun ride and big grins, fat bikes are great.

Hooligan
    Build up the fatty and see what happens. If you are happy trailing riding on it then sell the other bike. If not keep both.
    if you can afford it, this is great advice. a fattie is a great addition to most stables. and if you build it up and don't like it you can always sell it to a poor bloke like me
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Specialized builds their bikes out of homeless children.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post

if you want to "shred" single track, it's probably not the best tool for the job. If you are looking for a fun ride and big grins, fat bikes are great.
    This!
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    My Pugs sure shreds it...then plasters it all to my legs.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    They certainly do shred single track, but be forewarned, they are not necessarily fast. Fun, heIl's to the yeah! Fast? Not so much.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any bike will have +/- over another bike ... all I know is when I pull up with my 4.8s on hunjos and get the smirky "wrong bike" or "so are those tires slower" comments, I just smile and reply "speed got more to do with the rider than the bike." With a fattie, you gotta CRUSH everything you ride. Plain and simple as that. Don't compare your fattie to your hardtail, compare your fat bike to THEIR hardtail! I huck the fattie harder than my other bikes cause I'm DRIVEN on my fat.

Besides this, know that a fat bike ridden on the edge is like nothing else. When I'm flicking my hard tail around imagining how rad that last tire drag musta looked, I'm just another rider out there. When I'm airing the big rubber out though, I get nods and "daaaaang"s confirming how gnarly I'm riding. That is the fat bike advantage.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    They certainly do shred single track, but be forewarned, they are not necessarily fast. Fun, heIl's to the yeah! Fast? Not so much.
    Wrong. Not as fast in some situations, sure, but in others just as fast...or faster. And not just in snow....which is obvious. I regularly trade off KOMs with people on Ti hard tails, carbon full suss, whatever they ride...why? My legs. If your fatty isn't fast, than your legs aren't strong enough...bottom line.

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Wrong. Not as fast in some situations, sure, but in others just as fast...or faster. And not just in snow....which is obvious. I regularly trade off KOMs with people on Ti hard tails, carbon full suss, whatever they ride...why? My legs. If your fatty isn't fast, than your legs aren't strong enough...bottom line.

Right on Schott! couldn't agree more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post

So True.

I don't have my fattie yet, but I ride a long travel 29er on XC trails a lot. I always get looks and comments from the lycra boyz; "overkill for here don't you think", yet they don't say much when I leave them in the dust on the climbs.... it's all about the rider ;-)

My sole purpose of buying a fatbike is to shred single track - I haven't ever ridden one, but I like to try new stuff. I hope for it to be tons of fun along with a challenge to push my legs harder. I did order one with front suspension which seems to be more easily available these days.

Get one and go out and shred imo ;-)

Have a super weekend
    Age is a state of mind

Outcast
    In my stable I have a fattie, and a Transition Trans Am hardtail with a Lyric fork with Avalanche internals [hardtail with a big fork up front]. There is no comparison between the two. I can slam into stuff with the Trans Am almost as hard as I can with my 6 inch full suspension El Guapo, but there is NO WAY I can hit the trail as hard with my Pugsly. The two bikes are no way equivalent.
    That being said, my pugsly outclimbs all my bikes, corners hard, rides crazy technical stuff, and is a blast to ride. It is not a replacement for what you have, it is it's own thing.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Sattvic View Post
    So True.

I don't have my fattie yet, but I ride a long travel 29er on XC trails a lot. I always get looks and comments from the lycra boyz; "overkill for here don't you think", yet they don't say much when I leave them in the dust on the climbs.... it's all about the rider ;-)

My sole purpose of buying a fatbike is to shred single track - I haven't ever ridden one, but I like to try new stuff. I hope for it to be tons of fun along with a challenge to push my legs harder. I did order one with front suspension which seems to be more easily available these days.

Get one and go out and shred imo ;-)

Have a super weekend
    I'm in the same boat, but I ride a 9kg rigid SS 29er, and think that a rigid fattie would be just the ticket to funsville.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast