mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Do it all fat bike

I am probably going to be ordering a fat bike by Monday. I am renting one from a local shop to try a snow ride this weekend -- it's a Framed Wolftrax.

I had originally planned to get a Fatback Rhino FLT with the GX1 build, and probably add a Mastodon to it.
    Fatback Bikes - High Performance meets Affordability

I was looking today at the Mukluk and Beargrease though, and they sound pretty awesome too...especially the Beargrease, since I can get that for the same base price as the Rhino and it's a carbon frame.

More background: I've been riding FS for many years (Santa Cruz Heckler, 26" wheels), and that bike's about worn out. I do mostly XC style trail riding, and the trails here are on the tight and twisty side, with plenty of roots, but not really big drops or jumps. I'm in southern Ohio, so in the winter we get a bit of snow and it might be on the ground for a couple weeks each snowfall, but we don't have the super groomed trails like I've seen in Minnesota, just what gets packed down by people out riding the singletrack.

Does anyone have experience comparing these bikes, or opinions on what would be the best for year-round riding as the proverbial "one bike quiver"? Sadly the only thing I can demo locally is the Framed, and I would rather go a bit more high end than that.

Thingamejigger
    Which version of the beargrease is it... 27.5inch 2018??

Beargrease downsides, very stiff according to my friends that ride them and can be a bumpy ride, can also only take a 4 inch tyre, so might not be as good in un-groomed snow.... upside, light and fast for the singletrack for the other 3 seasons....

GX Eagle Mukluk... you can stick on a Mastodon fork on come spring and a set of 29+ wheels for days when you want a little less rubber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    can also only take a 4 inch tyre, so might not be as good in un-groomed snow
    Not sure where you got this information from? I've owned multiple Beargreases(both carbon and aluminum) and it can handle a "4.6" tire with ease. 45NRTH Dillinger 5 or Dunderbeist. I'm sure there are some others out there...I think Terrene makes one as well.

IMO, the Beargrease would be a great bike for Ohio or any other area that doesn't get a huge amount of snow or if you are riding groomed all of the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For what it's worth I was looking at the aluminum NX1 Mukluk, not the Eagle.

Basically the base model of each one.

I guess I should also do more research on 27.5x4 vs 26x4.8.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the Mastodon doesn't work with 29+

mtbr member
    There is much fat to consider for year round riding. The Kona Wozo has been getting some good reviews here. Also, have you considered one of the 83mm BB shell variety, Rocky Mountain SuziQ for example, as an all round option? If you are going to be riding it year round, you might like the more narrow BB. Also, if you don't have much for snow coverage you wouldn't need the wider rear ends that fit 5" tires. Other options exist, even perhaps custom, but as with everything price will be a factor.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't have a local Kona or Rocky Mountain dealer so I haven't really looked into either of those. I think the nearest Kona dealer is an hour away and Rocky Mountain is more like 2.5 hours drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I decided to check in with Salsa about it, since I'm a heavier rider (probably close to 350 in riding gear (for now)). He advised the Mukluk over the Beargrease based on my weight due to the heavier tires and bigger seatpost. Also the Mastodon will not fit on the alloy Mukluk or Beargrease, but it might fit on the Bucksaw or carbon Mukluk.

Also he said they still have some 2016 Bucksaws in stock that I could probably get a big discount on. Somewhat tempting, but I think I'd rather stick with hardtail/rigid until I drop some pounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I think it would be a good idea to look at the Wozo further, being only an hour away. It is a much more "modern" fat bike as far as frame angles go, and can accommodate pretty much any plus tire and all but the largest fat tires. I am fortunate enough to have both a snow-oriented fat bike and a trail plus bike, but I could easily see how nice it would be to have one bike to replace both.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Very happy with my Growler, can run 26, 27.5+ and 29+ on it by just swapping wheels.

mtbr member
    With a fat bike, part of the joy for many of us is leaving it simple. The tires, while not exactly a replacement for suspension, soak up a ton of stuff. I added a Thudbuster to mine, but other than that, don't desire suspension which the tires don't afford. I love how little there is to break on my bike.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Wozo looks pretty good, but I'm hesitant on the Bluto -- I hear they can be pretty flexy for normal riders, and I'm a real big dude.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    a 4 inch tyre, so might not be as good in un-groomed snow
    southern Ohio doesn't get enough snow to really warrant anything bigger than 4 inches. Nates in central Indiana winters did everything I asked for years, and I rode just fine in conditions where people with 5" rubber gave up and went home because it was "too much work". Hell, the previous 2 winters in the area didn't drop anything that a regular mtb couldn't handle, anyway. Funny that I moved away just before another legit winter with good snow riding conditions.

4 inch tires are gonna be fine for an all season bike.

IME, a Bluto is fine for most xc type stuff. Most midwestern riding is exactly that fork's forte. Yes, it's a little flexy, but that didn't cause any trouble for me until I really started pushing the fork with bigger drops and hitting chunky stuff at speed on my Bucksaw. The Bluto handled everything I rode in Indiana just fine. Didn't have problems until I started riding bigger stuff in Pisgah with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Mastodon will fit a 29+ tire; officially you will need the EXT version. Check out the Mastodon thread for examples.

I have a Wozo with Mastodon and am really impressed - on dirt it doesn't feel much less capable than my FS and I've been enjoying it in the snow as well.

The Medium and Large Wozos will easily clear a Mastodon and at $699 for the frame it's not too hard to build up a better spec'd Wozo than the complete.

Check out the Wozo thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The local shop owner I've been working with actually rides 4.8 Jumbo Jims year-round. I guess it depends on personal preference too, I just haven't had the chance to see what my preference is yet.

As far as the Bluto, it might work out, but I'm still concerned since I'm near 350lbs in riding gear, plus I do want to start branching out and hitting Brown County and Pisgah a couple times a year. I am going for bombproof since I don't want to have to replace this any time soon.

mtbr member
    At your size, go Mastodon if you absolutely must have suspension.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    I have a Wozo with Mastodon and am really impressed - on dirt it doesn't feel much less capable than my FS and I've been enjoying it in the snow as well.

The Medium and Large Wozos will easily clear a Mastodon and at $699 for the frame it's not too hard to build up a better spec'd Wozo than the complete.
    [/url].
    ^I'm in this camp. I've been impressed by my Wozo on regular trails; the geo is awesome IMHO. For a year rounder, I think the narrow Q of a bike like the suzie Q is compelling too - might come down to weighing geo/BB/max tire width among things like price, spec, accessibility, etc (whatever is important to you). For the record, been geeking out looking at other fat bike geo and nothing production is even tempting me vs. the Wozo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, the Wozo certainly gets a lot of love, I'll give it that. I'll have to look into it more.

mtbr member
    You could also consider the Surly Wednesday or Ice Cream Truck... those should certainly handle your weight and perhaps be at a lower pricepoint enabling immediate upgrades. I would assume your dealer would carry them as well as the Salsas... but I've been wrong before.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tommy C View Post
    The local shop owner I've been working with actually rides 4.8 Jumbo Jims year-round. I guess it depends on personal preference too, I just haven't had the chance to see what my preference is yet.

As far as the Bluto, it might work out, but I'm still concerned since I'm near 350lbs in riding gear, plus I do want to start branching out and hitting Brown County and Pisgah a couple times a year. I am going for bombproof since I don't want to have to replace this any time soon.
    Brown County was my local stomping ground. Bluto had no problems on anything there. That'd probably change if you were getting big air on Hobbs. Depends what you ride in Pisgah whether you'd push the Bluto too far or not. What did it for me was hauling down upper Black Mtn. Trail with repeated drops in the 2-3ft range at high speed. My boss when I lived in Indy is a bigger dude than I am, and he rode a Beargrease with a Bluto on it in Pisgah frequently for awhile. He usually rode it rigid in Brown County, too.

While the Mastodon is definitely a more robust fork, I don't necessarily think it's a MUST HAVE unless you're the sort who's going to push the bike hard and exceed the limits of a Bluto. Your weight is a factor, but not the only one.

As for your employer's choice in wheels/tires, that's his choice. The larger rubber will in some respects make up for suspension in a limited fashion for summer riding. But it's undamped suspension, so it's going to be very different than a suspension fork. You'll find plenty of occasions on a fatbike where the undamped suspension from the tires feels like you're riding a basketball. The bigger the tires, the larger the effect. At times, I've found it can even overpower the damping on a suspension fork. Setup becomes super critical (tire pressures as well as fork setup).

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tommy C View Post

I guess I should also do more research on 27.5x4 vs 26x4.8.
    Some good info here on 27.5 vs 26;

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/20...up-against-26/
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good info. I just always tend to try to get the strongest parts I can because the first two mountain bikes I had I kept breaking parts on, so I got one that was probably overkill for most of my riding and mostly stopped breaking parts.

I might still decide to go full rigid, I'll have to think on it more.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I love my Bucksaw. I'm touching 300 pounds and I have yet to be disappointed in the bikes performance. It is an absolute blast at Alum Creek on p1 and p2. The Wozo has one of the shortest chainstays available. But people are still changing fork length and angle sets and whatever else to really claim that "modern" geometry status. The more I read on this forum, the more I see you just need to get out and ride and decide for yourself what you like for your environment.

Also check out RSD bikes, they are built to last.

*EDIT* Also if you're coming to the CO(Columbus) anytime soon, shoot me a pm, I'll let ya take a spin on my Bucksaw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Loving my AL beargrease. The geo isn't that far off from the Wozo really. With the stock a2c fork it's a 68.5* HTA. With a 120mm suspension fork i suspect it's in the 67.x* range. Chainstays are a little longer as well, but not crazy long. Still one of the shorter CS fatbikes around. Thing rips!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    I'm becoming convinced a do it all fatbike should be B-fat: 27.5x4.5 for snow, 27.5x3.5-3.8 for trails.

Throw in the the ability to run 29x3 (bikepacking, gravel) and you can truly do it all.

Concerning FS vs hardtail I think your primary use would determine that - rough dirt trail use? FS. Snow biking, exploration, and bikepacking? HT or rigid. A little bit of everything? A HT with a Mastodon and a rigid fork to swap in when desired is pretty versatile.

sluice box
    Tommy C? Is it you? Are you still in Florida?
    ptarmigan hardcore

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by FireinMTB View Post
    Loving my AL beargrease. The geo isn't that far off from the Wozo really. With the stock a2c fork it's a 68.5* HTA. With a 120mm suspension fork i suspect it's in the 67.x* range. Chainstays are a little longer as well, but not crazy long. Still one of the shorter CS fatbikes around. Thing rips!
    I agree somewhat, altho the time I had on a Beargrease was fun and the geometry is dialed it is really nothing like the Wozo. The Wozo is just a different beast and plays like no other fat bike, well that I've been on anyways.
    Last edited by bdundee; 1 Week Ago at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Youre nearly twice my size and I found the Bluto noodly, so a beefier fork like the Mastodon is a must. I ran a Bluto briefly on a Tandem fat bike, our combined weight is ~350#, and it was so noodly I thought it was gonna fail; it is most certainly not tandem rated

In terms of strength, at your weight Id steer clear of anything with a breakage history.

A good steel frame or a well designed aluminum frame.

If you have $1500, get Walt to build you a custom steel frame.

Production frames, a Wozo is solid, Ursa looks good if you want 197mm spacing, or a Ventana El Gordo which can be had in three levels of custom.

For the riding youre doing, Id skip 26 wheels and go straight to b fat 27.5 x 3.8 Hodags or Gnarwals.

You clearly want a fun bike thats fatter, since you ride a 2.5 tire now, anything will seem fatter, so to keep it fun, stay 4 or less, fast rolling, < 435mm chainstays, 120mm Mastodon STD, then go rip!

Would you consider FS if it could replace the Heckler and serve winter duty? More $$, but one bike for all things is kinda cool.

As to your shop guy... if he thinks the epitome of fat biking is riding a JJ 4.8 year round, you may want to look elsewhere for expert advice, just saying

Quote Originally Posted by BigTommy C View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've had my Mukluk/Bluto for a year now. I'm about 230 in winter mode and I've never noticed my Bluto flexing, I rode it hard in Sedona and Durango. It's an alright bike but, I wished I'd waited for bigger(27.5) wheels. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've ridden both the 120mm Bluto and Mastodon now. I'm 6'4" 240# plus gear so I'm not a little guy. The Mastodon is better, period. Less flex, more clearance, more travel available, soaks up everything big and small better.

But, I've ridden the Bluto enough to know that it's capable and I'd expect it to work just fine for many, many people. I've done plenty of trails, drops, summer, winter, jumps, endo's, etc. on the Bluto and it worked.

But nobody can decide for you which you need. You have to know how hard you're really going to ride and how picky you are about things on the bike. If you are questioning it at all then get the Mastodon and be happy with it.