DIY Pogies - Patterns/plans?

The wife and I are looking to add a couple pairs of pogies for more comfortable winter riding. I am not thrilled with the ones I've been looking at otherwise, either. Various aspects leave me unexcited.

I was looking at this old thread:
    DIY Pogies

I'm handy with a sewing machine and I have some leftover fabric scraps from a sleeping bag quilt project I did several years ago (made his & hers 20deg down quilts) that I could use for a pogie project. Pogies look to be infinitely easier than sewing baffles for down bags and calculating/measuring down quantity for each baffle.

I sure could use some patterns, though. The thread above has plenty of pictures and those are helpful, but those don't tell the whole story.

Namely, I'm curious about the shape and placement of stiffeners that people are using in theirs. I could mock up what I need for the external bits, but it's the hidden elements I'm unclear about. Also, material options for stiffeners would be helpful for folks who have done DIY pogies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Might see if you are able to borrow a pair from someone in your area if there is any to help start with a pattern...

Curious as to what you don't like about current Pogies?

some combination of cost, materials, features.

VERY few people in my area have them. And of those that do, I have already examined them.

Basically, what I'm looking to do is have sealed seams (lots of wet snow here, not a lot of dry powder), waterproof outer, heavy cordura in wear areas, thin synthetic insulation (not oftentimes THAT cold), slippery liner fabric (I have spare momentum 90 DWR fabric that would be perfect for this), and maybe a drawstring baffle/cuff for the arm opening depending on my mock-ups. My wife probably will also need a little more insulation in hers than I put in mine because she runs cold.

Stuff that has this combination of features tends to cost a ton. I have more time than cash (building up that Bucksaw tapped me out for awhile), so I can spend time (which I have), but not as much cash. DIY works well for that. Where I want to see plans relates to stiffeners people use. I read about it in the other DIY thread, but nobody offered decent pics to illustrate the shape or placement of their stiffeners.

is buachail foighneach me
    Build up some designs out of posterboard and tape and use those for patterns. If you want waterproof, the less seams the better. I would stick with one fabric for the shell, one piece if you can. my pogies from Dogwood uses a relatively thin hdpe stiffener across the 'back of the hand' area and that's it. Works really well. Stiff enough to maintain the shape, but leaves enough flexibility to roll them down if it's too warm for part of the ride. If the outer is truly waterproof, and you put a baffle over the cables(soft foam or scrunched up fabric), you won't need much insulation at all in temps above 0F.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Get someone who has a set of Dogwoods to let you take them apart to get your patterns and then sew them back together.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Deleted

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been wondering about the foil covered bubble wrap as a suitable material somewhere in there.

As real cheap DIY Poggies, using that material:
    - cut an airfoil rib shape and screw it onto the end of the handle bar,
    - have a second rib and cut a slit up it, or a small hole with enlarging slits, so it can fit over the bar so it's inboard of the grip, shifter and brake lever,
    - skin the ribs like it's an airfoil surface, taped to the ribs with aluminum tape,
    - tape the trailing edge closed where you don't need to get your gloved/mitted hand in,
    - it's somewhat stiff, and it will block the wind, provide some insulation & reflect heat back to your hands,
    - add a shell of your choice to make it look fancy, or to provide an easily closable seal to the inboard bar or the opening for your hand.

That's pretty much my second pass (first pass was without ribs, just a wrap), but without working out details.