Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pogies

Self-defeatist
    Here's a recent sewing project, one of my first. As usual there were a few times i wanted to throw the whole project in the garbage. Things didn't turn out exactly as I had expected, but everything works, and that's something. I'd still like to relocate the handlebar loops further forward. Also I'd like to add some bar ends to open things up.

I used one of my SO's old down winter coats, cut in half. I cut the sleeves, rolled them and added a small piece of hook-and-loop to close the gap between the bar and the cables.

Cut off the excess.

To try to control the stray down I sewed the seam first then cut off the collar over a garbage bag.

Half done. Cat shown for scale.

"Finished." Tho I later added handlebar loops and some darts to the front to bring the fabric closer to my hands.

Here's a blurry picture of them on the bike along with my embarrassingly lumpy gas tank. Now bring on the SNOW!
    I'm covered in beer.

jbn
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Some pretty amazing stuff here. One thing I would add is make sure you can operate your controls from the outside. Even on the coldest days (-0 F) my hands are outside the covers probably 75% of the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    rohloff compatible pogies!

rohloff pogies by timlupfer, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Would motor bike ones work the same?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-motor...f=pd_cp_auto_1

mtbr member
    I think we see more ingenuity and innovation on the fatbike forum than all the other forums combined
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here are my DIY pogies made completly out of a kids down winter jacket.
    Took a couple of hours. I left the sleeves alone, then have a double cuff and should seal up around the bars nicely. I used the elastic and tighter do hicky to make nice bar loops.
    They look like they will work well but I'm still waiting for my MukLuk...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1009293453

Nuts
    What would you guys recommend for DIY Pogies Ultrex or Cordura for the shell?
    Thanks...
    And I love beer!!

No, that's not phonetic
    Ultrex is nice, but won't withstand many encounters with branches or crashes on ice. If you are only going to ride in snow, it may hold up well enough. The Cordura will be more durable though make sure you get some really good coated stuff for waterproofing.

mtbr member
    The answer is yes. Use Ultrex for the shell and Cordura as edging and strategically placed wear strips...though I've seen a really nice coating on a really high denier cordura a while back...it was basically a heavy duty Ultrex.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For those looking to add body to your DIY pogies you may be interested in plastic needle pointing canvas. Available at sewing and craft/hobbie stores. Basically a rigid plastic screen-like material. I think that it may be available in various thickness and hole sizes which would alter its flexibility for pogie building.

(just noted that my grandmother needle pointed many of our Christmas ornaments with it)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Any Jones Loop bar pogies out there? Wood Dog Wood Designs H Bar Pogies Work?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I use the cabela's on a loop bar and they work. They are not ideal as they are 90 and the sweep of the bar can make they harder than it should be to get in and out... have looked at attaching them to the bar ends to maintain the angle correctly but it isn't so important that I have gotten around to it...yet.

g

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Finished up some holiday gift poggies. They came out pretty well, but I probably would have given up without the help from you all, Thanks! Now Ill have to make a set for myself...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Any pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    PIXS x 2, please.

mtbr member
    Bringing back that old thread
    I made my own pogies with a 10$ wetsuit from the thrift store.
    Neoprene only, should be enough for my needs.
    Verlcro squeeze atbthe cables keeping them in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Pogies-image.jpg  

expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

ouch....
    Sweet how do you get the bike to stay upside down?

I am impressed by all these DIY pogies. I just ordered a set of moose mitts....I cannot sew.
    Riding.....

Dinner for wolves
    Canfield FTW! Great energy in this thread, y'all.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I used a kids jacket. I did the shakedown ride yesterday (non-fatbike alert)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1353343516
    My pogies are pink with teletubbies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Pogies-12-1.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm about to start sewing some pogies, but am having second thoughts about the insulation. Would a polartec fleece (2 layers) sandwiched between the outer layer of cordura and inner layer or ultrex be enough to be toasty down to -30 F? Or should I place another order at Seattle Fabrics for some of the primaloft insulation or the quilted insulation with a smooth nylon finish? Any experience with cold temps by anyone?

A day or 2 of riding at temps down to the negative 30's is what they'll be primarily used for.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have ridden extensively in -30 to -40 and for me, my hands have been warm with a layer of nylon with 300 weight windstopper fleece and a wraparound of blue camping mattress foam. (not the pogies shown above).
    You can see the custom ones here: Riding back to the car | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    They are overkill for riding in the city, but I can fit snacks in them and they work as booties in a pinch as well as having a removable piece of camping mattress that I can use on my hip and shoulder in case my real mattress fails.
    Note that my hands are not my weak point for coping with the cold I have more problems keeping my toes warm.
    Doug

Laramie, Wyoming
    Some great work on here. I am wondering how much time guys are spending making these poggies. I'd bet some of the projects on here took an entire day. Let's see, 8 hours at $15-25/hour, yep, I'm glad I just bought a nice pair of Dogwoods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Some great work on here. I am wondering how much time guys are spending making these poggies. I'd bet some of the projects on here took an entire day. Let's see, 8 hours at $15-25/hour, yep, I'm glad I just bought a nice pair of Dogwoods.
    The ones from kid's jackets take 15-30 minutes.
    My expedition ones were built in 1999 when there weren't so many options for commercial ones, and were built to fit a wide variety of criteria. They took nearly 4 hours to build, but I could make a new set in less than half that.
    Like many things, there is always a time/money vs. needs tradeoff. I have seen a pair of Dogwood pogies and they look well designed and well made.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Made my first attempt at DIY pogies, they work pretty well but I've got some minor tweaking to do, they could be a fuzz longer and a fuzz narrower in the arm openings

I used 2 layers of fleece and a layer of flannel for the outside, I was going to use something more water resistant but when I saw the bicycle print I lost my mind

shown on on-one mary bars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Pogies-2012-12-01-20.50.28.jpg  

mtbr member
    My DIY mitts. Made from some felt-ish fabric, windstopper fabric and reflective strips. They still need some fine-tuning, but as it is, I'm childlishly pleased with them. Of course I could have bought a pair (the prices start from 13,90 euros or something) but I wanted to make my own

EDIT glued some faux fur to cuffs for keeping the warmth in better:

Last edited by kyttyra; 07-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast