Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Pogies

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice work kyttyra! Those look really nice, and I like how you've sealed them around the brake reservoir. Impressive!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I was going to say pretty cool, but should I say warm
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Thanks for compliments BTW, the mitts look like this from inside:

Note the small loop on the left - it goes around the end of handlebar and secures the mitt that it does not move around. I'll replace them with elastic bands when I have the time.
    Last edited by kyttyra; 12-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    all your barmitts look great! well, here's my non-pro sewing un-skilled self has made.... out of rice bags that I had laying around in the house.....

I do have one that my in-laws got me for my birthday, but I needed an extra one on mild days. this one serves mostly as a wind breaker/ deflector when it is cold out.

mtbr member
    * REWIND *

Yoghurt pot mudguard?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    * REWIND *

Yoghurt pot mudguard?
    yes sir! i am a believer of repurposing/ recycling materials. I find satisfaction in making my own things or repurposing materials ( when you are broke, gotta do things that are extremely cheap or free )

Caveman
    kinda reminds me of the derilict campaign from zoolander. nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So after reading this thread among others, inspired by all the DIYs, I've decided to make my own pogies.

Found RockyWoods and chose a number of fabrics. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who own a pair (of pogies...), bought or DIY:ed.

Outer shell: 1000D Coated Cordura
    Insulation: 150 Thinsulate Ultra
    Inner shell: 30D Double Silicone Coated Ripstop Nylon (to get the sleeping bag feeling)
    2'' Nylon webbing (for the "joints", sorry for the wording: English is not my mother tongue and sewing is not my major...)

Living in Sweden, really cold hands and feet. Basically impossible for me to bike between october and april

So, what's your opinion? Poor/good material choice? Which sewing thread would you recommend? Any use for seam sealers or seam tape?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nobody? I know it might be quite early to ask now, but I do need the time until winter to make mistakes...

mtbr member
    I made my pogies from cheap windstopper, cheap felt-ish material and faux fur (see previous page of this thread). They are indeed very varm, but should I make a new, improved pair, I would add a liner as the inner of my pogies feels a little rough to bare hands.

The "felt" was a good choice, as it's stiff and thus the pogies keep their shape quite well. This is good IMO as I have tried some pogies that sag on the handlebars, and although the weight is not big, they begin to feel uncomfortable for arms/wrists after a while for some reason.

A real felt inner would probably be a winner - or overkill

Can't say anything about real technical materials though as I went with a shoelace budget

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanksfor the input kyttyra. I'm indeed a little worried about the stiffness (or lack thereof) of the pogies. I guess cordura should be stiff enough, especially with some kind of "dart" as in the ones made by tscheezy (DIY Pogies).

And you confirm the need for inner liner. The 30D Ripstop might be a little overkill though, looking at what sleeping bags are made of... This one might be more suitable:
    Downproof Ripstop Nylon - White.

mtbr member
    My humble opinion is that you will be able to make yourself a more than adequate pair of pogies. Personally, I would use a different shell material...nothing wrong with cordura, but I think a WPB gore-type fabric would be a better choice, perhaps using the cordura to add abrasion patches to areas more susceptible to wear. The coated ripstop is the ticket for a liner as the coating should reduce the amount of sweat that gets into the insulation. I also think you would be going down the right path to use some sort of seam sealer, liquid or tape...not sure what the intent of the webbing is though...if it is just to "hide" the exterior of the seams, I would opt for a reflective grosgrain ribbon instead.

-disclaimer-just my $0.02
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks damnitman.

I've considered the Gore stuff, but in the end decided against it. Main reason is that my Gore-Tex clothes don't seem to hold there waterproofness and need to be re-treated regularly. For that reason, I'm discarding the "breathable" and prioritizing the waterproofness instead.

As for the webbing, I don't really know if it's the correct piece of material I need, but what I intend to use it to, is to "finish off" the seams as it's done here (the black ribbon on the edges): Berlin Messenger Bag | Berlin Bag | Chrome Industries

Edit: Just checked grosgrain ribbon and it looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for instead for that webbing stuff!

The seam sealant might be overkill, I need to look a little bit more into that.

Planning to use bonded nylon 69 thread and an 18 needle which hopefully will fit on my stepmother's machine...

Some kind of reflective tape will be sewn on as well, have not taken time to dig in the different kinds yet

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    elmaco,

If waterproofness is your number one priority, you'll have to seam seal the pogies. Otherwise the seams are not watertight; how could they be with all the needle holes? Also, reconsider using WPB fabric like Gore Tex because the condensation trapped from nonbreathable fabric will make your hands wet anyway. It's the DWR coating that needs to be reapplied, but the layer that provides the waterproofing lasts far longer.

I haven't made a pair of pogies yet, but my plan is 200 weight fleece inner with a WPB shell.

Anyway, my thoughts. Best of luck on your project, and please post pictures when you're done!
    1989 Bridgestone mb-3
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 2
    Soma Smoothie

mtbr member
    back on an old thread, for those of you that have used stiffener material, where do you place it?
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Far from a full DIY but...

Far from a full DIY pogies but i bought cheap Amazon ATV Logic mitts and modified them for my Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I use a On-One Mary bar and they still work great.

1- I took 1.5 inch webbing and sewed velcro onto it and punch a hole than insert them into my handlebar plug. I insert the plug into my handle bar.
    DIY Pogies-pogies4.jpg
    2- I sewed 2 strips of velcro into each pogies along the center seem. I make the inside velcro longer then needed to leave me some room for fore and aft adjustment.
    DIY Pogies-pogies3.jpg
    3- I inserteded the pogies onto my handlebar and adjusted velcro to my taste. They now stay where they need to.

They work great and if i want something warmer, i can use them as a pattern and use better material.
    DIY Pogies-pogies1.jpgDIY Pogies-pogies2.jpg

mtbr member

DIY Pogies

I know this is diy hand muffs, but check out skinz protective gear for more handguard style ones. The sled ones are smaller, nicer, cheaper.

#canadastrong
    2015 Trek Farley 6

2016 Specialized Diverge Sport

2017 Trek Top Fuel 9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12