mtbr member
    Jan 2013

DIY Heated Insoles for $20

I made these insoles from parts I ordered from DX.com. Most of their stuff comes from China and takes a really long time. For a little more money the parts can be ordered from Amazon and take less time. I used a few things I had on hand already, namely a pair of insoles, some spray adhesive, and some fabric to cover the insoles with.

I made them for my wife and she has used them several times with really good luck. The run-time is over 2 hours. The weather here has been pretty warm for winter so I can't say how they perform in really cold weather. There are plenty of modifications that could be made to these to make them better, and I'll probably make some changes to them for next winter, however I wanted to get them ready to go right away and they've worked fine so far.

The parts I ordered are...

Stylish USB Heated Warm Gloves - Coffee (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Cheap UltraFire 18650 3.7V "3600mAh" Batteries (Pair)

Universal Convenient 5V USB Adapter Power Bank w/ Torch Light - Black (2 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

There were no reviews on the battery case when I bought it. I had the same experience as the reviewers that the batteries didn't fit well. I bent some stuff and it worked just fine. I like the pack because the batteries can be charged and used while in the pack so they never need to be removed. I also like the little flashlight that it has built in, just in-case.

Gloves with heat elements removed.

Elements glued to the insoles. They are on the top of the insoles to be close to the feet.

I ran the wires through a small hole I cut in the insole and cut pieces of fabric to glue over the top of the element. I used the spray adhesive to attach the fabric, and the wires that plug into the battery pack slip out through the tongue of the shoe. The wires would need to be extended for a pair of shoes with a sealed tongue. I'll probably extend the wires and run them under the insole to the back of the boot next time.

I split the cable all the way up and the pack gets tucked in a pocket with the wires running down each leg. I wrap tape around the plugs so snow doesn't foul anything and they don't come un-plugged.

Not sure if this will be useful for anyone else, but for $20 I figured I'd give it a shot, and my wife has been happy with them. If winter ever actually arrives in Southwestern Colorado I'll probably make a pair for myself.

Self-defeatist
    Wow, nice job. Looks like pretty good fit and finish, esp considering the price.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice. However, beware of the cheap Chinese batteries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    Nice. However, beware of the cheap Chinese batteries.
    I can't say I've had a problem with the cheapies other than not lasting as long as the good Japanese ones. I stick with a protected cell because they are no-brainers. I haven't used them much for this, but I use the cheapies on my DIY riding lights and they've worked just fine over many cycles. Of course, that's just my experience. There is always the option of spending a little more and getting some good 18650 batteries. Plenty to choose from out there.