Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Disturbing trend from Interbike...

There's been a whole lot of excitement about all the carbon stuff coming to fatbikes. But look a little deeper at the pictures from interbike and you'll notice one sad fact: all the tires are still the same.

Unless I'm missing something, all the big tire manufacturers are still sitting this one out. No Continental, no michelin, no maxxis, no one. Other than one new tire from Specialized, there's no interest in fat tires from the big boys.

Perhaps it's easier to make a 450g carbon rim (and charge $5k for a set) then it is to make a lighter fat bike tire. Or perhaps, the tire manufacturers still see fat bikes as a fad.

Either way, as cool (or meh) as all the stratospherically priced carbon is, it ain't going anywhere without tires. And right now, the fatbike market/community is pretty much held hostage by QBP's purchasing agents, who seem to order tires by the dozens, not by the thousands.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    There's been a whole lot of excitement about all the carbon stuff coming to fatbikes. But look a little deeper at the pictures from interbike and you'll notice one sad fact: all the tires are still the same.

Unless I'm missing something, all the big tire manufacturers are still sitting this one out. No Continental, no michelin, no maxxis, no one. Other than one new tire from Specialized, there's no interest in fat tires from the big boys.

Perhaps it's easier to make a 450g carbon rim (and charge $5k for a set) then it is to make a lighter fat bike tire. Or perhaps, the tire manufacturers still see fat bikes as a fad.

Either way, as cool (or meh) as all the stratospherically priced carbon is, it ain't going anywhere without tires. And right now, the fatbike market/community is pretty much held hostage by QBP's purchasing agents, who seem to order tires by the dozens, not by the thousands.
    Actually the few Fat Boy's that I saw were still using Bud n Lou, so no new tires from Spesh either.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Ohhh Bender

Also the new Fatback sterling

But yeah... no big name tire companies... still lots of new choices with everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Agreed, I need a carbon fatbike as much as I need Jimmie Johnsons stock car to get to and from work. Unless your part of the 2% that is a serious competive fatbike racer, your only buying a carbon fatbike for the "oh look at me" factor. Tires however, I do want and could use. I think tires will get there eventually, it's just gonna take time and demand.
    2014 Scott CX Comp (gravel grinder)
    2014 Surly "OPS"
    2013 Scott Scale 960

I'm a beer drinker with a mountain bike problem...

mtbr member
    Agree completely. But on the other hand I think Fatback may have hit a home run at least for the 4" market and I am very excited about obtaining a set of the Fatback/Vee rubber 4.25" tires. I am a huge fan of Continental tires but I'm not holding my breath waiting for their offering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    Agreed, I need a carbon fatbike as much as I need Jimmie Johnsons stock car to get to and from work. Unless your part of the 2% that is a serious competitive fatbike racer, your only buying a carbon fatbike for the "oh look at me" factor.
    what were the ramblings when the CF 26 & 29er offerings hit the scene yrs ago? now they are common place amongst the everyday enthusiast that has no interest in racing but rather enjoys the sport and cool stuff.

Fat & Single
    <<< Rubba fetish here.... please Schwalbe, a fat Racing Ralph or Nobby Nick or Hans Dampf....
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    <<< Rubba fetish here.... please Schwalbe, a fat Racing Ralph or Nobby Nick or Hans Dampf....
    trojan may have what you seek.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I like carbon and think the prices are anywhere from reasonbly inflated (Borealis frame) to absurdly inflated (Borealis rim).

I am also unimpressed with the lack of new rubber, you're right buckfiddious. Would love to see Schwalbe's take on one, I love their Big Apple tires.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Part of it for me is that I'm tired of surly and 45nrth running out of stock 10 minutes after the tire is released from the mold.

mtbr member
    Pretty much sucks. How long have Fatbikes been around now? +5 years right?.
    And the big manufactures like Schwalbe or Conti didn't manage to offer even one
    fat tyre? Totally retarded. Must be real sticky working in the rubber business..

This place needs an enema

The sense of entitlement around here is getting to be staggering.

"Held hostage"? Is that your way of being grateful that they risked hundreds of thousands of dollars on our folly to begin with?

Maybe I'm reading you wrong--written word lacking context and all that?

I neither want nor see a need for lighter tires. The lightest ones we have now are already throwaway--at least the way people are using them.

Maybe when the 'fad' part of this dies off and people get their heads screwed back on straight it'll start to make more sense. Fatbikes excel when flotation is needed. That's it. When flotation is secondary they are a heavier, costlier alternative to the well-evolved mountain bikes that preceded them. If you want a lighter tire this probably means that you're worried about speed, in which case a true MTB would better suit you. You just wouldn't get nearly as many 'ooo lookit' comments in the parking lot.

/rant

mtbr member
    i think conti are pretty much red lining to bring the black chili 29 (and 27.5 now) to market ... and i dont think its for lack of desire to do so!

i cant imagine in this economic climate any company no matter how large they might *seem* has the money to risk on a whole horde of VERY expensive soon-to-be-unsold tyres.

surly took that risk (as did 45n and a few others) and for that they should be congratulated. other tyre anufacturers would have to 'unseat' if you pardon the pun an established (albeit relatively unique) market leader who already HAS a very good product!...it would be a massive risk!...

i for one am just glad surly keep doing what they do....rock on surly!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Ohhh Bender

Also the new Fatback sterling

But yeah... no big name tire companies... still lots of new choices with everything.
    I like the look of this tire for snow. Anyone know if it will fit on RD rims on a alu Beargrease?
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The sense of entitlement around here is getting to be staggering.

"Held hostage"? Is that your way of being grateful that they risked hundreds of thousands of dollars on our folly to begin with?

Maybe I'm reading you wrong--written word lacking context and all that?

I neither want nor see a need for lighter tires. The lightest ones we have now are already throwaway--at least the way people are using them.

Maybe when the 'fad' part of this dies off and people get their heads screwed back on straight it'll start to make more sense. Fatbikes excel when flotation is needed. That's it. When flotation is secondary they are a heavier, costlier alternative to the well-evolved mountain bikes that preceded them. If you want a lighter tire this probably means that you're worried about speed, in which case a true MTB would better suit you. You just wouldn't get nearly as many 'ooo lookit' comments in the parking lot.

/rant
    I don't have to be grateful to QBP- I bought one of their bikes. But when you consider that they risked hundreds of thousands of dollars on our folly to begin with, you might think they'd be interested in recouping some of those costs with better availability.

If QBP makes 99% of the fatbike tires available, then yes, they hold the market hostage. they've got a captive audience. Folks scream bloody murder at the thought of proprietary standards coming from major manufacturers, but for all intents and purposes, that's what we've got here- one manufacturer makes most of the frames, forks, rims and tires. Until someone else starts making tires, we have to take QBP's word for the fact that they are making the best tires they can at the best price possible.

I don't want lighter tires, I want tires that are available in January.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post

surly took that risk (as did 45n and a few others) and for that they should be congratulated. other tyre anufacturers would have to 'unseat' if you pardon the pun an established (albeit relatively unique) market leader who already HAS a very good product!...it would be a massive risk!...

i for one am just glad surly keep doing what they do....rock on surly!
    +1 - I'm happy to see Surly came out with the Dirt Wizard in 26+ and 29+ sizes. I'll be ordering up a set for my Krampus.

I may also get my GF a set of 26+ DWs for her Pugsley so she has a low cost summer setup for her bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

This place needs an enema
    I don't have to be grateful to QBP- I bought one of their bikes. But when you consider that they risked hundreds of thousands of dollars on our folly to begin with, you might think they'd be interested in recouping some of those costs with better availability.

If QBP makes 99% of the fatbike tires available, then yes, they hold the market hostage. they've got a captive audience. Folks scream bloody murder at the thought of proprietary standards coming from major manufacturers, but for all intents and purposes, that's what we've got here- one manufacturer makes most of the frames, forks, rims and tires. Until someone else starts making tires, we have to take QBP's word for the fact that they are making the best tires they can at the best price possible.

Tires are available NOW, and have been all summer. Just because your LBS doesn't see the value in stocking them, or because you (perhaps?) choose not to support your LBS, doesn't mean they aren't available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I like the look of this tire for snow. Anyone know if it will fit on RD rims on a alu Beargrease?
    We (and Vee) designed it as a specialized snow tire. A tiny bit smaller than Lou in order to make it fit where Lou barely rubs under load (like our Mk2 bikes). 6mm knob height. Also, production versions will have holes for up to 300 studs (at least that is the plan). It might fit the Beargrease, but can't guarantee anything, as it was designed for our Diamant/Nakamura frames (and as a side effect, the Motobecane rebadged Diamants...)
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Tires are available NOW,
    +1 - I've bought 6 Surly fat tires over the last 18 months, but I always got what I wanted within a reasonable time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    We (and Vee) designed it as a specialized snow tire. A tiny bit smaller than Lou in order to make it fit where Lou barely rubs under load (like our Mk2 bikes). 6mm knob height. Also, production versions will have holes for up to 300 studs (at least that is the plan). It might fit the Beargrease, but can't guarantee anything, as it was designed for our Diamant/Nakamura frames (and as a side effect, the Motobecane rebadged Diamants...)
    Thanks do you have any real life mounted measurements?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree with mikesee that fat tires are for floating, but people want a fatbike to be the jack-of-all-trades. It excels at floating, and maybe tires should be further developed to be tubeless, and really be able to flatten out when aired down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Thanks do you have any real life mounted measurements?
    Not yet, the one in the picture is the first prototype, straight off the mold.
    Can't wait to get my hands on them.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

Interplanetary Poultry
    Personally, I am yet to see a fatbike in person, and by " in person", I mean in that world outside of the interwebs. Are fatbikes a fad? Maybe. Are they a very niche product? I'd say so. Being a niche product I don't expect to see the major companies all jumping on board right away, especially at a time when they are rapidly tooling up their 27.5 production. I can remember trying to find 29er tires 10 years ago. It's safe to say that choice was limited, despite there being a fair few of us riding 29ers locally. I imagine the fatbike market is currently in a similar situation.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    If the snowshow fits a Mukluk, has stud holes, and isn't too heavy its the only winter tire I need (at any price).
    --Peace

just ride

Hey guys -

I just wanted to add one thing here. I think there is a belief that QBP as a whole is restricting availability, or not doing the best job possible for fat tires.

This is a difficult market, and with a very special set of equipment. There was an enormous investment in capital just to make the tires, and of course we want to sell as many as we can to recoup that.

The special machines used to make the tires are running non-stop, and literally making as many possible tires in a given year as they are mechanically able to. We purchase and bring into inventory every possible tire that is available to us, yet demand is still outstripping supply on some models.

I feel there is a lot of thought here that our buyers are not doing their best - I assure they are, and I just want to make sure that is clear.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast