Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillinger

Anchorage, AK

Dillinger

New studded tires from 45n were posted on their site this morning. light weight and plenty of options. They look like the perfect do all winter tire to me. They should be out in november. It's shaping up to be a great winter!

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member
    ohhh, me likey. The only problem is that by the time I can get my mits on them, the bulk of the dialy need for studs will be over by Novemenber here in Anchorage. Then it is all deep snow and good times until breakup. Still, quite excited. Any ideas on price?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    $175 27 tpi, $225 120 tpi.

New! 45 NRTH’s Dillinger & Escalator Tires! | FAT-BIKE.COM

The way I look at it, the base cost of the tires is unreasonable, but the added cost of the studs is pretty reasonable. Stud your own and discover what I mean. Blech.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Well, that puts a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm. I won't even pay that much per tire for my car.

Dirt Huffer
    Dillinger Four.! Great tire names, file them under adult urban contemporary.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    ohhh, me likey. The only problem is that by the time I can get my mits on them, the bulk of the dialy need for studs will be over by Novemenber here in Anchorage. Then it is all deep snow and good times until breakup. Still, quite excited. Any ideas on price?
    I see a lot of benefit to spikes all winter long. Any compacted trail or urban commuter users will run into ice on a regular basis. I remember being very grateful in January and February of last year that I had studded tires in Girdwood (despite several hundred inches of snow there). I would pass under the the Alyeska highway on the multi-use trail near the Tosoro and it was pure ice. I have seen the same kind of thing on maintained trails and streets all over Anchorage. But, if you are only using the softer trails like those in Far North, Kincaid, and remote areas then maybe spikes are overkill in mid-winter. The increase in choice is nothing but good.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    The increase in choice is nothing but good.
    Agreed. One can choose not to buy them if they're experiencing sticker shock, but people don't get to kvetch anymore about the option not existing, myself included.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Dillinger Four.! Great tire names, file them under adult urban contemporary.
    Liked that band. And Bob Mould's other band Sugar had an album titled File Under Easy Listening.

$225! Can't wait to see the price of the tubeles version...

mtbr member
    the price on the escalator is staggering, but the expected weight of around 1150 is pretty nice. I get the feeling that if I wait another year or so I may get my sub-1000g tires...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sticker shock aside, these are going to be an essential item for a lot of people, including me. Imo for most winter riding situations you only really need one on the front, however.

As a side note, I was wondering what they were going to call them. The Replacements? Hold Steady? I'm not familiar with Dillinger Four, but it's a good name.

Dirt Huffer
    The price is a lot for some people, but do you guys pay MSRP for all your fat bike parts?

I paid $109 for UL HuDu's with free shipping. I've seen regular 120tpi HuDu's for around $80 too. I haven't paid MSRP for anything.

Anchorage, AK
    Here are some pics the top pic is the Escalator, which is the lightest and comes with stud pockets but not studs. The other two are the Dillinger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dillinger-tr4522-03-600x504.jpg  

Dillinger-tr4522-600x304.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHopper View Post
    Sticker shock aside, these are going to be an essential item for a lot of people, including me. Imo for most winter riding situations you only really need one on the front, however.

As a side note, I was wondering what they were going to call them. The Replacements? Hold Steady? I'm not familiar with Dillinger Four, but it's a good name.
    Dillinger 4 has the greatest song title of all time: Honey I sh!t the hot tub... also a great song.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    "Farts are Jazz to A$$holes" is a pretty good title, too.

Dillinger Four - Farts Are Jazz To *******s - YouTube

Human Test Subject
    Once again 45nrth comes out with a product that is good but doesn't quite fit my needs. Maybe it's because I live like 120 blocks north of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I like the Escalator tire a lot, but I would like some versatility. How hard would it be to install ~100 studs for winter and remove the studs for summer? Does their special wrench make this a possible task?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I like the Escalator tire a lot, but I would like some versatility. How hard would it be to install ~100 studs for winter and remove the studs for summer? Does their special wrench make this a possible task?
    My experience is that if the tire has stud pockets in it, they are pretty easy to remove and install.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just noticed that thr Escalator is 180 TPI. Bet it's smoove.

mtbr member

???

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Whaaa???
    Dude I got back into town just after Thanksgiving and I had two of my bikes studded-up through something like March...If you are doing any riding anywhere there is anything besides bikes, skis, boots and horses, most of Anchorage will need studs for week to month long periods...I guess you must drive to the trailhead...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    I just noticed that thr Escalator is 180 TPI. Bet it's smoove.
    Wondering how the Escalator compares to the HuskerDu...

Dirt Huffer
    45NRTH should change it's slogan to "Putting the "F" Back in "Art"
    Last edited by AC/BC; 08-22-2012 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    Whaaa???
    Dude I got back into town just after Thanksgiving and I had two of my bikes studded-up through something like March...If you are doing any riding anywhere there is anything besides bikes, skis, boots and horses, most of Anchorage will need studs for week to month long periods...I guess you must drive to the trailhead...
    I've never driven to a trailhead. I bike commute 100% of the time from the east side to midtown and often from my midtown office to other client sites all over town. Granted, my primary route is the Campbell Creek trail, but I've hit the roadways throughout town and was confident most of the winter without studded tires.

All I'm saying is that I don't know if the cost of the tires outweighs their perceived value for my uses. Riding studs engenders more confidence on the roads, but I'm not so sure that that confidence is worth what these tires cost. At a minimum I won't be an early addopter on these. I'll wait for prices to come down before making the leap. I'll make the leap, just not this year.

mtbr member
    I will probably get a pair of Escalators looks like the light option that will have traction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got a moonlander for the extra float this winter and was planning on studding my big fat larry's. Would the skinnier Dillinger cause much loss of flotation? If so, would the trade off of the .8 of an inch be worth having the studs? I mainly commute in the winter but have never had problems using an unstudded 35c tire, are studs completely necessary on a fat bike for winter commuting?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    The only days I need studs commuting in Anchorage on a fatbike are when it rains, then freezes. This only happens a couple times a year. For those few times, I use my 29x2.1 studs, no need for float since everything is ice...i might think about buying a fat studded tire, once my current fat tires go south, until then, can't justify $400+ for 2 new tires.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast