mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Dillinger 5 Direction

I have been searching through the countless D5 posts and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I just got a set of them and would like some feedback on direction. I have read the pro tip, is it that much better? Does it add more rolling resistance? Etc. thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammin' Econo
    Not sure what the 'pro tip' is but I run my rear D5 in the opposite direction. I've run it both ways and feel that I get better 'bite' in snow with it opposite. Front D5 is mounted in the recommended direction.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Not sure what the 'pro tip' is but I run my rear D5 in the opposite direction. I've run it both ways and feel that I get better 'bite' in snow with it opposite. Front D5 is mounted in the recommended direction.
    Here is the Pro Tip:
    http://45nrth.com/chronicles/post/pr...tire-direction

Do you feel any difference with rolling resistance?

Jammin' Econo
    I haven't noticed any difference in rolling resistance with the tire mounted one way vs. the other. My rear D5 is mounted as illustrated in the pic.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Great. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    I had the LBS install mine (studded) and forgot to mention to mount the rear backwards. I don't have an opinion on how much better it would be. But, I know that for my riding conditions/style (snow/ice) I've rarely had a problem with spinning out trying to accelerate. Despite running higher pressures than most in the back. (8-11 psi?)

So I didn't bother switching it. Next year I'll run it the other way just for fun.

My only noticeable issue is the front washing out.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I run them this way and feel that even Dirt traction is better,, with no additional rolling resistance..

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I had the LBS install mine and forgot to mention to mount the rear backwards. I don't have an opinion on how much better it would be. But, I know that for my riding conditions/style I've rarely had a problem with spinning out trying to accelerate. Despite running higher pressures than most in the back. (8-11 psi?)

So I didn't bother switching it. Next year I'll run it the other way just for fun.

My only noticeable issue is the front washing out.
    The front washing out isn't what I wanted to hear!! I started with a pair of GC's, decided to switch because of how bad the front washed out. Ran the flow/Dunder combo and the rolling resistance was so bad I sold them and ran Bud front GC rear. That was the best combo so far, but I just couldn't get d5 studded out of my head. Finally got a great deal on a set and can't wait to try them out.

mtbr member
    Ran forward last year, reverse this year.
    Way better climbing reversed!
    "Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks that is what they is, is the happiest lot."

Jammin' Econo
    They may not do everything quite as well as some more specialized tires for certain conditions, but the D5 studded is one of the best all-around winter tires going, imo.

mtbr member
    I ran my stock Barbegazzi's in one snow fall and now the D5's for the rest of the winter. I don't have any other experience with other tires to compare it to so take my opinion for what it's worth.

(I think internet opinions are free)

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Dillinger 5 Direction

I have fallen hard on ice 3 times this season. I know as soon as I mount these we wont see any more ice!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    They may not do everything quite as well as some more specialized tires for certain conditions, but the D5 studded is one of the best all-around winter tires going, imo.
    When I race, I feel like these are my secret weapon. In many turns, I notice riders will coast, but I'll keep pedaling and make up significant time on each turn. I chalk it up to the increased turning traction. I consistently out turn the 4" tires holding a line. My results are good enough for me to say this

I run them both in "front tire direction".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyniner29 View Post
    I have fallen hard on ice 3 times this season. I know as soon as I mount these we wont see any more ice!!

This will give you another reason to go out and buy another set of tires to prove you need that 12 step program in the worst way.
    Fat and Single

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DubzOxford View Post
    This will give you another reason to go out and buy another set of tires to prove you need that 12 step program in the worst way.
    No kidding!!lol.

mtbr member
    My brain before d5's..............

Your going to fall Is that ice? Your going to fall slow down you are going to fast there is always ice on that corner swing wide here so you don't have to turn too sharp Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get me past this ICE!

My brain after d5's.......

Be careful out there.....

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    My brain before d5's..............

Your going to fall Is that ice? Your going to fall slow down you are going to fast there is always ice on that corner swing wide here so you don't have to turn too sharp Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get me past this ICE!

My brain after d5's.......

Be careful out there.....
    That's what I wanted to hear!!

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I run D5 studded in front normal fashion, and D5 studded in rear reversed. If we get new snow i install a Bud on the front to solve front washout problems. When the snow firms up, packs hard, and/or freezes, the D5 goes back on the front.
    Repeat after fresh snowfall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Studded D5s are great tires! Not the best traction in terms of propulsion but not the worst either...and that's running them in their intended direction. The same can be said for cornering traction. Where they really shine is in firm or icy conditions! On hard, boilerplate ice you still need to be careful but when the ice is variable and /or mixed with snowpack they are amazing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Agreed! If you only have one set of tires for winter the D5's are a great choice!
    With all the varied conditions encountered during winter riding no one tire will do it all but these come pretty close. I switch over to the Beists for new snow or softly packed snowshoe trails but as soon as it firms up it's back to the D5's.

mtbr member
    I also run the read D5 reversed. I have noticed decent traction on loose snow that is weight dependent, so shifting a little further forward or back makes all the difference. I do wish it had bigger lugs since i felt the XL/XXL Snowshoe hooked up better in snow conditions but that wasn't why I bought them. I bought them for ice and tire pressure makes a HUGE difference here. A low pressure with wide footprint causes them to hook up worse than a slightly higher pressure, higher than you'd run in granular snow. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, do not expect mind blowing traction since it's not happening. You may not go down, but you're not pulling wheelies on the ice either. I found that adding a 1-1.5mm (0.045"-0.060") shim made from rubber gasket material under the stud makes them more pronounced without having them pop out or compromising the tire, and greatly increases traction. Use a 1/4" hole punch to make them (same diameter as the stud base), and then yes, you have to tediously install them by hand. It's worth the additional ice traction without compromising general riding. I do wish they were wider as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Wonder what tires he was running?????????
    Fatbike Mt Washington Redbull

I like the idea of putting the spacer in there. Probably give that a shot over the summer cause it's sounds like a painfully tedious and SLOW procedure.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Just don't go too large on the spacer because the lug will tear due to the stress on it internally, 2mm is too much. Longer studs are a better idea but I have yet to find them in the correct diameter and I like the concave studs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

sluice box
    This is what I do when I do D5s.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You've got to figure that if the manufacturer suggests running the rear in reverse that it's the way to go. I do find though that it causes the rear to slide a bit if you're braking hard on a steep downhill run but it does bite better when climbing.

mtbr member
    I too absolutely love my D5 tires, but I always seem to be the odd one out in thinking that the backward orientation thing is nonsense. I'm sure there are a handful of unique circumstances where it improves propulsion traction but I think most of those occur only in those odd cases when you happen to be truly "floating" on top of the snow, and mostly when you're going in a straight line. For all-around, optimum traction in any other situation, they should face forward.

Chevron tread patterns have a "dig" direction and a "shovel" direction. Theoretically, you want your tire to dig through the loose top surface material to get to the firm surface below, without a lot of unnecessary spinning.

Check these guys out. Think about what gear heads they are, how much money they spend on their sport, and how much experimentation they must have gone through to arrive at the conclusion they have about tire orientation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVi2MH-ie7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13rELGs_ZLE

Really though, you should experiment and find out what works for you. In the 80s, when I had more time to play with such things, I probably switched the orientation of my Farmer John tires a hundred times, in all manner of conditions, before I concluded that they work best in the forward direction.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    I run studded D5's front forward and rear backward. Works well in our combination of ice and snow.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Those mud trucks look like they are running a Lou Fr/Lou R combo.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just to be clear, what is "backwards" on the rear? Opposite of the intended direction that's labeled on the tire? (Mine has an arrow in the opposite direction for the recommended rear mounting)
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    With many tires, fat or otherwise, there is a defined direction for the front tire and if there is a ramped end to the knobs then the tire is oriented for the ramped end to contact the ground first. The rear direction is sometimes noted as the opposite - or as "optional" depending on preference. You would generally get lower rolling resistance by orienting both tires the same as the recommendation for the front when there are ramped knobs and would also get better braking, but would better climbing traction by reversing the direction of the rear tire. Whatever floats your boat.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The rear direction is labeled, so technically, by running the rear like the front, mine is "opposite"

Jammin' Econo
    Chevrons pointing backward for the rear tire, as in the pic in the 'pro tip.' In the front, chevrons pointing forward.
    Last edited by Smithhammer; 02-25-2016 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member

Dillinger 5 Direction

Lbs owner runs v pointed forward front and opposite back. Guy i was riding with tuesday on his beargrease x1 had it opposite of that mouth of v forward front and point forward back.... :S
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I could not get these mounted with my split tube setup! I had to install tubes. Just way to loose. I tried a tie-down, an old tube, everything. Hopefully riding with the tubes will stretch them out a bit.

Jammin' Econo
    I could not get these mounted with my split tube setup! I had to install tubes. Just way to loose. I tried a tie-down, an old tube, everything. Hopefully riding with the tubes will stretch them out a bit.
    Weird. They set up easy as pie for me on both Clownshoes and Mulefuts (tape method), and with a floor pump, no less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That's crazy! I have a Fatboy. I'll try again next week. Going to test out these tires now, 10 inches of snow last night!

Clears
    Aug 2011
    Run the front inside out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba29er View Post
    Run the front inside out
    Like.... Tread inside? Lol.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    The front washing out isn't what I wanted to hear!! I started with a pair of GC's, decided to switch because of how bad the front washed out. Ran the flow/Dunder combo and the rolling resistance was so bad I sold them and ran Bud front GC rear. That was the best combo so far, but I just couldn't get d5 studded out of my head. Finally got a great deal on a set and can't wait to try them out.

there's no comparison to BUD. I've gone with D5/XL both studded for this winter. And another bike with Bud/Lou. The washout with the D5 is considerable compared to the Bud. But it is the Bud. Best tracking tire ever IMO. I ended up using a combo of Kold Kutter studs on the far outside knobs and the china stud for the inner knobs. This has given me the most traction in all conditions with the lowest rolling resistance. photo coming
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dillinger 5 Direction-img_0287.jpg  

Last edited by ADKMTNBIKER; 02-26-2016 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    as far as direction. I started with it one way and now go the other. didn't notice any difference till I added the KKs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    there's no comparison to BUD. I've gone with D5/XL both studded for this winter. And another bike with Bud/Lou. The washout with the D5 is considerable compared to the Bud. But it is the Bud. Best tracking tire ever IMO. I ended up using a combo of Kold Kutter studs on the far outside knobs and the china stud for the inner knobs. This has given me the most traction in all conditions with the lowest rolling resistance. photo coming
    When you say adding the KK's gave you the most traction are you talking drive traction or turning/washout prevention traction? Any info on what kind of snow conditions the traction is improved on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I want to install the KK's on my set of D'5 as well but worried that the stud pocket is too large and the KK's will be ripped out to easy. Have you had any issues or concerns with using the KK's or am I just being too paranoid. Did the KK puncture the casing?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    When you say adding the KK's gave you the most traction are you talking drive traction or turning/washout prevention traction? Any info on what kind of snow conditions the traction is improved on?
    I added the KKs for cornering on hardpack mixed with ice. I haven't added them to the back yet. Over the summer I'm going to put KKs on the outside lugs of my XLs and the other D5 we own. Right now they are full of the china stud. I'll be pulling them out to make room for the KKs. I really like the combination of the 2 types of studs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayermtb View Post
    I want to install the KK's on my set of D'5 as well but worried that the stud pocket is too large and the KK's will be ripped out to easy. Have you had any issues or concerns with using the KK's or am I just being too paranoid. Did the KK puncture the casing?

thanks
    They did puncture the casing and I'm having some pop out. On the next tire I'm going to reinforce them with 3M 5200 silicone. I plan to do this same pattern with 1 more D5 and a pair of snowshoe XLs. I really like the larger studs on the side lugs.