mtbr member
    Dec 2013

dilinger studded tires for snow covered icy roads?

One of the reasons I got a fat bike is to ride on quiet dirt roads in winter. There was a big thaw and the roads got muddy in the middle with ice on the edge , where I will be riding. It has gotten colder now , with a few inches of fresh powder on top of the icy edges. Do the Dillinger tires work well in these situations, that is ,with a few inches of fresh snow over top of the ice, or would I be better with my low psi Nates? Thanks David

Workin for the weekend!
    Carbides on ice are always a benefit.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Studded Dillinger's are great tires but they won't help when there's a couple of inches of fresh snow over the ice.

mtbr member
    My first ride with Dillingers were in conditions very similar to what you describe...and I ended up literally on my head...f-ed my neck up pretty good for a few days...I really should have let some pressure out before I hit the road because of those conditions, but hey, it was a road, right?...at too high of a pressure, the knobs and studs on the outside row tried to ride-up the rut and then bounced around a bit, eventually deflecting in a different direction and ejecting me...On frozen, rutty conditions I would recommend a softer pressure which allows the carcass to mold itself around deformities and get more studs on the ground with less bouncing, deflection etc...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ...at too high of a pressure, the knobs and studs on the outside row tried to ride-up the rut and then bounced around a bit, eventually deflecting in a different direction and ejecting me...On frozen, rutty conditions I would recommend a softer pressure which allows the carcass to mold itself around deformities and get more studs on the ground with less bouncing, deflection etc...
    I reckon there's nothing worse than the rut crash. You usually get a few seconds of loss of control to savour it too...

Ruts are one of the hidden dangers of fatbiking on snow. A bit of traffic on soft snow leaves grooves, then follow it by a dump of soft snow, the ruts look insignificant and invite the unwary. The worst crash I've had in the last 5 years was from a frozen rut on a downhill yipee this is great ride - dislocated my shoulder in a remote location, and then discovered the weakness in my additional clothing - you can't put on a pullover outer layer if one arm isn't working.

This is one of the reasons I support steeper head angles for fatbikes - with appropriate trail they are better for control in ruts.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is when a nice 2.25 Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro will make you realize that a fat bike is not the be all, end all for winter riding.

sometimes skinny and slice-y is better than fat and floaty

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ^ This. It won't be pretty, and probably won't work if you have 100 mm rims, but a studded 26" DH tire would be much better for those conditions. The BB height will drop a bunch, but if you are only riding on dirt roads, pedal strikes may not be as much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    This is when a nice 2.25 Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro will make you realize that a fat bike is not the be all, end all for winter riding.

sometimes skinny and slice-y is better than fat and floaty
    I agree but when the snow gets deep having the ability to float over it is nice. I took my fatty for its first ride this weekend, what a blast! On the bare pavement with the tires low was to say the least interesting, bike kinda just did it's own thing and I was just there for the ride. Once you hit the snow it was all different smooth and controlled, I am not liking the brakes that came with it, will change them next year.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    My intent is to get a pair of 29'er Snowcats or RabbitHoles for s#itty, icy seasons like this year...waitin on the benjamins...double duty as summer rims though, so maybe an easier sell to the lady...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?