Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)

While out riding the local power lines trails in my neck of the woods this AM, I found myself in my trusty 22-36 granny gear with more than enough "Ommmph" to ride strait up the face of the steepest (fall) line I am able to find, which is fairly steep for 20-30 yards. Also in the 4-5 inches of fresh "pow" we had on Monday AM, I found the same situation, and when I gravitated towards the 'easiest' (22-36) gear it made my riding and traction and momentum better. I have found pushing a bigger gear in snow can easily stop you in your tracks and then it is hard to get going again...

So even though I have an "awesome" SRAM GX 1x Narrow Wide 30 tooth 175mm crank set and new BB 100mm BB waiting in the (new) parts bin, I am _VERY_ reluctant to install it on my fat bike, since I will loose a small percentage of gear ranges that I already have today with my 2x 22-32 crappy, heavy, generic crankset. Cassette is Shimano 11-36 10 speed with XT 10speed chain using XT Dynasys 10 speed RD with clutch. Also on the back of SRAM 30T 1x is says "SRAM CHAIN ONLY." WTF? Will it work with Shimano chain or NOT? And yes I have seen the OneUp 10-50 11 speed 500% conversion parts, but I don't have them....yet.

Any opinions from the Fat Bike peanut gallery on this gearing dilemma (and actual facts from practical experience) are most certainly welcomed!!! Please share your FB drivetrain setup - photos welcome!

Finally- please forgive my typos and spelling in advance...Thanks for any input...

Peace Out!

-Volksbike

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1171.jpg Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-sm_xg_cassette_gold_12_speed.jpg Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-oneup-shark-10-50t-11-speed-casette.jpg
    Last edited by volksbike; 03-26-2016 at 03:55 AM.
    ====================
    GBM, Pugley & 9:ZERO:7
    Surly Ogre Rigid 29er - RAGBRAI 2013
    TREK Alum Hardtail 29er - Recon Fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Man up!

I just converted to 1x with a 34t up front. Shimano XT 11-36 is out back. I put it to the test this past weekend and did some significant climbs in the lowest gear without stopping or dabbing.

Setup is Raceface Narrow/Wide ring, KMC X10 SL chain and Shimano XT 11-36 cassette.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    My fat bike has 33 big ring, 26 granny and an 11-36 cassette. I used to have a 22 tooth granny but I was always going to the fourth cog on the XT cassette. Problem there is that cog only has five rivets and a smaller spider. I ended up stretching the rivets, thus ruining the cassette.
    I switched to the 26 to try and stay on the first three cogs and while it worked, I now don't have the oomph to get up this one insanely steep climb on my local trail. I just bought a 24, so maybe that'll be the perfect storm for me.
    I was going to try a single but I don't have chainline issues. Everything fits fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Man up!

I just converted to 1x with a 34t up front. Shimano XT 11-36 is out back. I put it to the test this past weekend and did some significant climbs in the lowest gear without stopping or dabbing.

Setup is Raceface Narrow/Wide ring, KMC X10 SL chain and Shimano XT 11-36 cassette.

Nice setup with the Race Face!!! Thank you for sharing your real world experience.

For the record I have made it through my local trail's entire ride running in 32 tooth mode without any issue, but not in deep snow or steep climbs. Just because its possible, there are some conditions that may warrant a lower gear??
    ====================

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by volksbike View Post
    Nice setup with the Race Face!!! Thank you for sharing your real world experience.

For the record I have made it through my local trail's entire ride running in 32 tooth mode without any issue, but not in deep snow or steep climbs. Just because its possible, there are some conditions that may warrant a lower gear??
    Before the conversion last week I had a 36/22 chainring setup.

Over this past winter I decided to experiment and used the 36t chainring for everything. I found it covered 98% of my riding. With that in mind I decided I would start by using a 34T. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    Before the conversion last week I had a 36/22 chainring setup.

Over this past winter I decided to experiment and used the 36t chainring for everything. I found it covered 98% of my riding. With that in mind I decided I would start by using a 34T. So far, so good.

Alright...I think you have finally convinced me to give it a try!! Now I'm just worried that the XT Dynasys chain won't work will with the SRAM 30 tooth cogs...I guess I could always use Race face narrow wide and KMC if I encounter any compatibility issues?

Thanks again!! BTW- I rode my singlespeed 40 miles on the road this past weekend...
    ====================

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Use what ever gearing makes you happy. If you use 22/36 on a regular basis, then why would you go 1x?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    Use what ever gearing makes you happy. If you use 22/36 on a regular basis, then why would you go 1x?
    Exactly. I built my son's fat bike with a 26 tooth NW ring up front and 11-36 cassette. Wasn't enough range for him. Ended up making it 22-32 front. Added 15 oz to the bike but now he makes it up more stuff and goes faster on the flats.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Exactly, I hear you guys loud and clear! Hoping to avoid trial and error, but sometimes it works best...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or go without..." Anonymous (Both arguments to keep the old 2x)

Maybe it's the new and shiny crankset sitting in the bin just tempting me???

Peace out,

-Volksbike
    ====================

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Assess how often you drop to the granny and if shifting speed is a factor. There are only a few cases where I need stump pulling power and the unboggable granny ratio. I run 32T 99% of the time with a 22T that I can manually shift to if need be. Otherwise I'm toting the weight of the 22T and 4 bolts the rest of the time. 2x or 3x crank needed. Mechanical shifting system optional.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Assess how often you drop to the granny and if shifting speed is a factor. There are only a few cases where I need stump pulling power and the unboggable granny ratio. I run 32T 99% of the time with a 22T that I can manually shift to if need be. Otherwise I'm toting the weight of the 22T and 4 bolts the rest of the time. 2x or 3x crank needed. Mechanical shifting system optional.
    Spot on, great advice, thank you!! I was thinking this am that I hate my Alivio FD but it is a necessary evil and it works...Plus the mount pushes out the chainline (and tire clearance) by 1-2mm...
    Last edited by volksbike; 03-24-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So where do I sign up for the Dilemma vs Granny pie eating contest?

mtbr member
    Man up!

I can't imagine riding that kind of gearing where I live. I've got some 2+mile climbs that vary in grade and gravel/mud condition. I'm riding with a 24 raceface n/w and an 11/42 in the rear. Seems just about perfect for year round fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Exactly. I built my son's fat bike with a 26 tooth NW ring up front and 11-36 cassette. Wasn't enough range for him. Ended up making it 22-32 front. Added 15 oz to the bike but now he makes it up more stuff and goes faster on the flats.
    my son (12)is riding a 36/22 f>>>11/36 r. He was able to ride anything this winter with that gearing and 100 mm's with Bud/Lou. We just rode into Santanoni and had a great time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    So where do I sign up for the Dilemma vs Granny pie eating contest?
    I guess after you show us how to bite into this pie? 10-50 tooth !!

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-oneup-shark-10-50t-11-speed-casette.jpg
    Last edited by volksbike; 03-24-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I run a 28t cinch setup on the front, with a 10 speed 11/36 with a one up 42t in the back. For my area and terrain, it's a perfect set-up, and shifts flawlessly, and we have some big climbs here in the white mountains of NH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It depends where you ride, but in my neck of the woods you need a stump puller, so I ride a 24 or 26 x 11-40. I didn't like the 42, but the 40 feels natural.

Losing top end is no big deal, a fatty is not a cross bike, if you're going so fast that you run out of gears, you need to ride rougher terrain, seriously.

A 32t doesn't fly here, but if you want one cheap, bike shops have stacks of them from take offs

Oh, and if you are given a choice for crank length, get a shorter crank like 170mm or even a 165mm, you don't need a giant lever if you have the gears, and you'll gain some pedal clearance and improve efficiency.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I went 1x by putting a 30T NW chainring on the 104BCD outer ring of my Samox 2x crankset. I did remove the front derailleur, but left the granny ring (22 T) on. I can still manually move the chain over to the 22T if I need it. The only time I ever need it is deep snow, and man does it come in handy there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1x11 here. 24 Raceface narrow wide up front Shimano 11-42 in the rear. No way I would go higher as I use the granny quite a bit.

Jammin' Econo
    Loving the GX 1x11 on my plus bike.

Went 1x10 on my fattie with a Wolftooth 30 up front and 11-36 in the back. I may bump that up to a 40 at some point, but otherwise, I'm loving it. Say goodbye and good riddance to front derailleurs.

And I live at 6200' and everything is "up" from there.
    Last edited by Smithhammer; 03-23-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    I can't imagine riding that kind of gearing where I live. I've got some 2+mile climbs that vary in grade and gravel/mud condition. I'm riding with a 24 raceface n/w and an 11/42 in the rear. Seems just about perfect for year round fun.
    I live in WI. Can't say I have any 2 mile climbs but a good amount of punchy short climbs

mtbr member
    My issue with fatbikes is wear. 11 speed 10-42 sram cassettes are ****ing expensive and like a guy in my group, wore his out in a season. Nice $500 cassette, i guess there is the cheaper gx cassette but its hard to find right now.

10-42 sunrace 10 speed cassettes are cheap, xt 10-42 11 speed cassettes are cheap. $100 either from mec or crc for me as a canadian.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I live in WI. Can't say I have any 2 mile climbs but a good amount of punchy short climbs
    Fellow Cheesehead!!

mtbr member
    26NW with 11-36 cassette on my Blackborow. I'm running clownshoes/4.8 tire year round and have lot of climbing. I have a Wolftooth 40T in my bin part that I'll probably try this summer. On my carbon 29er I have a 28NW/11-36 combo.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I've got parts on the way to go 1x11. New shifter (SRAM), XT 11-42 cassette, and an Absolute Black elliptical 28 up front. Front Range, CO requires some low gears, and I never find myself riding on the road, so figured simpler is better. Will see how I like it in the next week or so.
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'15 Speciaized Fatboy Expert
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Riding 1 x 11 SRAM with a 28 up front and like the setup. Crank is e-thirteen and the smallest chainring they make is a 28, which I find a bit too high for some of our longer climbs. I dont have a problem running out of top end speed and would try a 26 or may be 24 on the front if the option was there.
    Your opinion of me is none of my business

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Fellow Cheesehead!!

Tried my new 1x setup at Levis Mound this past weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Tried my new 1x setup at Levis Mound this past weekend.
    Levis snow Mound now!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Levis snow Mound now!!
    Yeah...no kidding. Cripes!!!

Sunny and dry last Sunday...

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-levis.jpg

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-levis2.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    My issue with fatbikes is wear. 11 speed 10-42 sram cassettes are ****ing expensive and like a guy in my group, wore his out in a season. Nice $500 cassette, i guess there is the cheaper gx cassette but its hard to find right now.

10-42 sunrace 10 speed cassettes are cheap, xt 10-42 11 speed cassettes are cheap. $100 either from mec or crc for me as a canadian.
    This ^^, too much use on the low end wears out the most fragile parts, so big $$ for repairs. The Sunrace is a nice product, my buddy's shop stocks them, maybe a little more weight, but also more durable and longer lasting. I'd go this way next time.

I use the Wolf 40t in back and a steel chainring up front, no need for NW, I have yet to lose a chain even when hitting jumps. I'd add a guard of sorts if the chain became a problem.

I miss my front derailleur not at all, mine is sitting in a box along with the 2 x RF Cinch spider. Anyone want it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    I went 1x by putting a 30T NW chainring on the 104BCD outer ring of my Samox 2x crankset. I did remove the front derailleur, but left the granny ring (22 T) on. I can still manually move the chain over to the 22T if I need it. The only time I ever need it is deep snow, and man does it come in handy there!
    Deep Snow = 22 teeth Granny!! --> I get it- We are speaking the same language!!!

On my Pugs Ops I'm keeping the awesome range (and torque) of the Surly 36-22 OD 180mm Crankset for sure!
    Last edited by volksbike; 03-24-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Where do I sign up for a cheap XT 11-42 cassette ? I've bought a couple off NB in Ohio and the largest size they have is 11-36 10 Speed. You must be talking 11speed, and that would reguire a new chain, shifter and RD...etc...

And now there is a SRAM Eagle XX1, AKA the "ultimate slice of pie" 10-50 cogs - a Super Duper Gigantic (Gold Plated Apparently) TWELVE speed Cassette: SRAM Eagle XX1 Cassette in Gold - Mtbr.com Since it's gold plated, it looks like it would cost more than my bike!!!
    Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-sm_xg_cassette_gold_12_speed.jpg
    Last edited by volksbike; 03-24-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Where do I sign up for a cheap XT 11-42 cassette ?
    Sunrace makes 10spd in 11x42 for about $60.

mtbr member

Sounds like I'm on it...Will try the 30T 1x11 with the 11-36 first and see if I really need the 11-42...Thanks!
    ====================

mtbr member
    Have one, not so impressed with the Sunrace cassette.

- Rusted like Barnacle Bill's treasure chest
    - Runs as smooth as a rock tumbler
    - Black finish has peeled off as fast as can be in any wear areas

I have XT 11 speed on my other bike and very much look forward to wearing this Sunrace cassette out so I can justify a drivetrain replacement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hybris View Post
    Riding 1 x 11 SRAM with a 28 up front and like the setup. Crank is e-thirteen and the smallest chainring they make is a 28, which I find a bit too high for some of our longer climbs. I dont have a problem running out of top end speed and would try a 26 or may be 24 on the front if the option was there.
    Not sure which e-thirteen cranks you have but I installed a Raceface 24 tooth n/w 64 bcd on my wifes bike and it has e-thirteen cranks. Hers was a 2x10 originally. It's the same ring setup that came stock on my Blizzard.

mtbr member

Narrow Wide SRAM/Shimano Compatibility??

With all the references to NW (Narrow Wide?) I'm trying to see if anyone has used the new SRAM GX 30T NW ring (94 BCD) and if they indeed require a SRAM chain instead of Shimano XT 10 Speed DynaSys Chain?? Back in the day SRAM components were compatible with Shimano and could easily be mixed and matched...
    Here is a close-up shot of the back of the SRAM GX 30T NW cog with the words "SRAM CHAIN ONLY" again WTF and why ??? Meanwhile the XT DynaSys 10 speed Clutch RD I'm running only uses/likes Shimano Chains !! lol

Thanks in advance for any logical explanation of the movement towards proprietary brand specific compatibility... What happened to KISS ??

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1241.jpg Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1242.jpg
    ====================

mtbr member
    With all the references to NW (Narrow Wide?) I'm trying to see if anyone has used the new SRAM GX 30T NW ring (94 BCD) and if they indeed require a SRAM chain instead of Shimano XT 10 Speed DynaSys Chain?? Back in the day SRAM components were compatible with Shimano and could easily be mixed and matched...
    Here is a close-up shot of the back of the SRAM GX 30T NW cog with the words "SRAM CHAIN ONLY" again WTF and why ??? Meanwhile the XT DynaSys 10 speed Clutch RD I'm running only uses/likes Shimano Chains !! lol

Thanks in advance for any logical explanation of the movement towards proprietary brand specific compatibility... What happened to KISS ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	1059278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	1059281
    Its bs. You can miss match sram and shimano all day aslong as its the right chain for the number of cogs out back.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member

Finally Made the 1x Fat Bike switcheroo...Done!!

So I finally broke out the tools and with some effort, luck and even despite stupid mistakes, I was able to remove the 2x Crank (Note to self --> always remove the crank bolts before using the crank puller, otherwise it will strip the crank threads (twice) ask me how I know this...) also removed the Bottom Bracket, Front Derailleur, FD mount, cable, housing and shifter. Somehow the 100mm bottom bracket seemed like it weighed quite a bit...No grease was used in the GBM frame assembly process, so it required so force to remove the BB cups, remember righty tighty, lefty loosy EXCEPT on the drive side BB cup where it is reverse threaded (like the left pedal) so you actually turn it in the direction to tighten it when you want to remove it...nice! Thanks Jeff at the LBS for the timely information!!

Anyway it's done, the bike runs great the XT Clutch RD holds the XT 10 spd chain on the SRAM 30T NW ring great and the bike absolutely rips!!! Field Tested with my dogs on a local ride at dusk... I did find a couple sections where I gravitated to the 30-36 new granny gear and it was just enough to get 'er done...so far, SO GOOD!

I lost a few lbs on a bike that was pushing 40 pounds, with the 1x upgrade and RD rims, Northpaw hubs, and a Surly Pugs Ops (Moonlander) fork, my GBM has slimmed down to 34.5 lbs with a GoPro Hero and frame Pump included!! I rides like a different bike, no chain drops yet and plenty of low end for my local trails. Also I don't miss shifting the FD at all, a cleaner look and feel overall to the entire bike. 1x is like a singlespeed in front with 10 options for gears...lol!

Thanks for all the great insight from fellow Fat Bikers and encouragement to pull the trigger (Man Up was the 1st and my favorite response, thanks prj71 !!) and try this new 1x set up!!!

BTW - Happy Easter weekend to All...

Peace Out!

-Volksbike

---Some photoz of the finished product, chainline & Park tools which made the entire process doable using the correct tools...I had to drill out the rivet in the Alivio FD to avoid breaking the XT DynaSys Chain since it did not provide a screw...fun times for sure!

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1274.jpg Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1280.jpg Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1276.jpg Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1275.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_1261.jpg  

====================

Tribe Member
    I'm running a 32 front with an 11-36 SRAM cassette with a WT 42 added. It is just fine for the rides that I do here in CO. This is only my winter/snow bike. If the trails are dry I have a trail bike to ride. There are some things that I have to push up but if the snow is to deep that's what happens.

So far so good. All of this depends on where you live. I ended up ditching my 1x on my trail bike to go back to 2x10 for all day backcountry rides.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    I'm running a 32 front with an 11-36 SRAM cassette with a WT 42 added. It is just fine for the rides that I do here in CO. This is only my winter/snow bike. If the trails are dry I have a trail bike to ride. There are some things that I have to push up but if the snow is to deep that's what happens.

So far so good. All of this depends on where you live. I ended up ditching my 1x on my trail bike to go back to 2x10 for all day backcountry rides.
    Great Advice.. May try the WT 42 cog but for now I don't need it would have to justify the cost. Keeping the 36-22 2x on my Puga Ops as my stump puller...Thanks again!

-Volksbike
    ====================

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I use my fat bike for everything from 40 mile, 16 mph avg rides on groomed gravel to 4 mph plowing through singletrack snow. In the former I'm never out of the 36 (and usually pretty far to the right on the cassette), in the latter I'm never out of the 22. For me, a 1x might work but not as well as a 36-22. IMO, if you use both chainrings, there's no reason to switch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    I use my fat bike for everything from 40 mile, 16 mph avg rides on groomed gravel to 4 mph plowing through singletrack snow. In the former I'm never out of the 36 (and usually pretty far to the right on the cassette), in the latter I'm never out of the 22. For me, a 1x might work but not as well as a 36-22. IMO, if you use both chainrings, there's no reason to switch.
    Thanks - well said- I will always run the Surly 180mm 36-22 OD on my Surly Pugs for both 29+ and 26x4.0!!

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-img_0541.jpg

So far for my area (Central MA) 1x is good for the trails...
    Last edited by volksbike; 03-28-2016 at 05:08 AM.
    ====================

mtbr member
    Another aspect to the title of this thread:
    Anyone here ever freeze up shifter cables? Particularly the FD? Thought with all the snow maybe the front is not so reliable?

Maybe 1x or 2x manual front shift is the way to go... Or maybe a non-issue...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hybris View Post
    I would just e-bike it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Another aspect to the title of this thread:
    Anyone here ever freeze up shifter cables? Particularly the FD? Thought with all the snow maybe the front is not so reliable?

Maybe 1x or 2x manual front shift is the way to go... Or maybe a non-issue...
    Yep, in Arizona.

Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-dscn1421.jpg

In alaska, usually operating below the freezing point, I've never had a cable freeze up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yep, in Arizona.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscn1421.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1065639

In alaska, usually operating below the freezing point, I've never had a cable freeze up.
    Cool pic from AZ. I never froze my shifter cables riding all winter this year. Coldest day was only down to -15 (not Alaska cold) but I have frozen up my front and rear brake cables several times- Even when temps were only slightly below freezing. It also depends if you store your bike inside in a heated area or outside in the cold.

Update on my 30T NW 1x 11-36 setup: I absolutely love it !. The combination with an XT clutch RD works great - smooth shifting and virtually no chain drops ! As far as the gearing, my 30 - 36 is fine for my local terrain in 99% of riding situations. Only once this year climbing in 4 inches of wet spring snow did I run out of years and have to walk. 1x is better than I expected and easier to keep clean without multiple chain rings and a FD cage in the way. Overall great for trail riding and short to mid range road jaunts. Definitely worth considering if you are on the fence.

Peace out

-VB

====================

mtbr member
    I know a guy who swears by a 28 or 30 tooth oval chain ring. I might try one out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I would just e-bike it.
    Apparently the little ones that fit in the seat tube are Very popular in Europe at the minute.

Waiting for SRAM to put out a fat crank with direct mount, match it with a 24 or 26 tooth stainless chainring. Then it will be an e-less bike, beauuuutifull
    Your opinion of me is none of my business

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    I know a guy who swears by a 28 or 30 tooth oval chain ring. I might try one out.
    I just converted to a 1x11 (11/42), setup running an Absolute Black 28t oval front ring and it is fantastic. Worth investigating if I were you. Spin seems very natural and it feels like I have more traction in loose stuff. I'm sold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dilemma -> Pie Plates Vs. Granny Gears on Fat Bikes (AKA Fat Bike Gearing options...)-image.jpg  

MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'15 Speciaized Fatboy Expert
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast