try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008

dilema, what to do.

heres the deal, i was suppose to be getting a Necromancer, but guy decided to keep it. Now my dilema is this. I want a bike by snow fall to keep riding. Here is what im trying to decide on.

Bikes direct are sold out, and want two 4 inch tires at least.

Would you hold out for road bike to hopefully sell and buy an On-One fatty (seems to be best value right now)?

Keep any eye out for a used one at 1000 dollar range?

Buy a Walgoose Beast and build it how i want, salsa hubs, drilled wheels, surly fork, disc brakes, keep it single speed.

I really want a single speed so thats what is leaning me towards a Beast, and used are very hard to come by here. What would you do?

mtbr member
    Pugsley frameset is pretty cheap, especially used.

Pugsley basic wheelset is pretty cheap, especially used.

Basic fatbike crank/bb is pretty cheap, especially used.

Fatbike season is about to start, new frames are about to launch and there's gonna be a crapload on ebay/craigslist in the next couple months. If you can be patient, you can score one hell of a deal.

Do you have any parts at all or are you starting from scratch?

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    id be starting from scratch. I want to start out single speed just for fun and there are no bad climbs around here. I have my anthem for when i wanna go fast, but want a fatty to just have fun on. So as of now, im starting blank. Heck, I dont even know hwere to start. Think its doable to keep things under 800 if i am looking at used frame and wheels. THen adding a BB/crank and some bb5s and callign it good? I do have bars and a seat post and saddle, so i guess not from scratch. Of course depends if seat post fits.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    seem like a fair deal here?

616 fat bike frame

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    ...Think its doable to keep things under 800 if i am looking at used frame and wheels. THen adding a BB/crank and some bb5s and callign it good?
    A Fatty frame/wheels/tires bundle is $645. Don't know how much they charge for shipping, though.

On-One Fatty Rolling Chassis Bundle

Can't comment on the 616 fatbike as I don't know anything about it. It would be sweet to have a raw brushed stainless frame, if it's really all stainless.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    I think thats the route i am going to go. I just saw that too. It would be like 720 shipped to me. SO not terrible. I have a seat post and saddle and array of rear cogs and chains. I can get bars and stem for cheap. Just need a BB and crank. Then I should be good to go. If i can find a decen single speed crank for it and BB for cheap then im going to place an order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Re: dilema, what to do.

Riding in snow is different than dirt. Gears are nice for snow. They give you a lot of flexibility. I see a ton of singlespeeds on our trails in summer but no singlespeeds in the snow.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just PM'd you about a bike for sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where are you located? SS fat bikes haven't worked out very well for many here in the Pacific Northwaest... unless you prefer walking with it... Unless it's real flat where you are or your a complete animal, I'd consider gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Same in MN. SS doesn't work well. Even the single speeders go geared fat bike once the snow flies.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    i am considering gears. Im in michigan, its pretty flat. i have ridden my brother in laws mongoose beast on the trails i do with stock gearing with absolutely not issues. but gears may be more enjoyable in snow i can see.

mtbr member
    i am considering gears. Im in michigan, its pretty flat. i have ridden my brother in laws mongoose beast on the trails i do with stock gearing with absolutely not issues. but gears may be more enjoyable in snow i can see.
    Have you been watching the MMBA Classifieds? Several fatbikes have come and gone there.

Its not about enjoyable in the snow... its about actually being able to move. I've been in 12" thick sticky snow and in my 22x34 gearing and still struggling. Trust us. Gears.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    Well I am buying a members bike on here. Its a 2011 Salsa Mukluk. Looks like it has XTR in rear with pauls thumbies, and slx up front. Rigged up with what look like BB5s and clownshoes with Larry 3.8s. Should be pretty good in the snow.

Im thinking I may need to look into narrow rims for the summer or would the clownshoes be fine then too?

The bike is geared and ill run it that way inthe winter, but in summer it will be SS. I will only be riding it in summer when we ride with the wives, that way i have a little less downtime waiting at the checkpoints. Plus it looks like fun!

mtbr member
    Im thinking I may need to look into narrow rims for the summer or would the clownshoes be fine then too?
    You might want to look into these:
    On-One Fat Not Fat Wheelset 29 Inch / Black / 32F32R / Shimano/SRAM

I will only be riding it in summer when we ride with the wives
    Sure. Wives even steal Fatbikes, remember

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    i will be keeping it fat, i have a 29er to ride already. i was just wondering if narrower rims were better on hard stuff vs the 100mm clownshoes.

I now have to decide if i should use platforms or my Time Attaks. hmmm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a set of those On One wheels on my '12 Mukluk with some Conti Mountain Kings, awesome combo so far and no issues to report apart from having a lot of fun on it, I have some On One Chunky Monkeys 2.4's on order to fit when they wear out for some skinny fat fun. I will have more fun when my Trek Farley turns up.

Platforms FTW
    Last edited by hardly_stuntworthy; 10-02-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Cant spel

mtbr member
    Look for a good used deal. The used market is getting better and you should be able to get a used bike with better components for less than a new bd bike anyways. I got a barely ridden Pugsley for around $1,000 and I imagine bikes like this will get even cheaper now wi more options around.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Used Pugs. Not as sexy as some like, but its the other budget route.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not mine, though apparently I sold it as it has my sticker on it. No idea who they are, but this popped up a week or so ago, no idea if it's gone.

If you work a deal and need it shipped, I'd be happy to help.....

Surley Pugsly Neckromancer
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good find, Craig. E-mailed him to see if he wanted to trade for a SS Krampus.