mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Devist8ter UL first ride

I've seen other posts about the Devist-8er tire here, but not many about the ultralight version. I just rode about 10 miles on Origin8 Devist-8er Ultralight tires on my Mukluk 3 w/ 82mm rims and they seem to do just fine.

I bought the Devist-8ers because I wanted something between the Surly Black Floyd and Nate tires I already had. The Nates were overkill since I ride pavement to the trailhead and the BFs are great on pavement but not good if there's any muddy bits.

I found the UL version of the Devist-8ers for about $60 each. They are not terribly "ultralight" but my point of comparison is 27tpi BF and Nate. The 60tpi UL Devist-8er is close in weight to the 27tpi Nate, noticeably heavier than the BF but not ridiculous.

The Devist-8ers do exactly the job I hired them for: more grippy than BFs on muddy, rooty bits, less noisy/vibratey than Nates on pavement, and I didn't get yelled at by the wife for buying them.

Seems like an all-around win for me.

mtbr member
    Where did you get yours?
    Steel Fatback

mtbr member
    The UL 60 TPI devist8ers weigh roughly 1800gms leaving the UL as a misnomer, that aside i've enjoyed mine here in the desert / mountains of NV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wrkgstiff View Post
    Where did you get yours?
    Amazon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought mine recently and found out it is made by Vee Rubber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJbikefanatic View Post
    that would be correct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SJbikefanatic View Post
    Yep. They have both Origin8 and Vee Rubber branding on them. I don't really care the tires are still great for my riding.

I've been riding trails in the Campbell Tract and Far North Bicentennial Park here in Anchorage, plus some of the Hillside singletrack (I live close to Far North Bicentennial and can bike there). Most of what I'm riding is gravel or hardpacked dirt, nothing too technical. I pump these tires up to 15-20psi for the pavement then drop a few psi when I get to the trails... and drop a few more if I'm taking a rooty route.

The setup works great for me; these tires are a great "economy" option for a lot of folks. But again my point of comparison is 27tpi Nates and Black Floyds, so I'm used to a heavier tire in general.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I love my Devist8er ULs. I've had them for about seven months and never had a flat. I just wish they would make a 4.8" version for the Moonlander.