Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Good job! DC Area and Mid-Atlantic Fat Bikers

C'mon out of the woodwork, Washington DC area and Mid-Atlantic fat bikers! Show your stuff and let us know where you ride. Maybe even do fat bike meetups for a spin some time.

I'll start --

Name and approximate location: Rickyd in College Park, MD

Fat Bike: Vertigo Cycles Ti Fat Bike, right now set up as a singlespeed with Lefty shock. I also have a Jones Ti SpaceFrame with a fat front set up as singlespeed.

Usual Parks Ridden: Wakefield/Accotink (weeknights), Rosaryville, Fountainhead, Schaeffer, Gambrill, Frederick Watershed, Avalon (on weekends or if I can escape work early enough)

Anyone know any decent beach or sandy spots to ride? I'd love to see how the fatty plays in the sand.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I bought Austin R's (think he mentioned knowing you) SS Karate Monkey back in Feb. Been thinking about adding a fat front to it and have run through several builds on paper. In the end it comes down to that I would like a full fat and am hesitant on buying parts for 1/2 fat only to ditch it months later.

A little over a month ago I saw a guy riding a Mukluk 2 on the new Seneca Ridge Trail. So there are some fats out this way.

Name and approximate location: Brad, Gaithersburg MD

Usual Parks Ridden: Anything in Gaithersburg and Germantown/Boyds. I live 150yds from the trail at Seneca Creek SP so I usually ride that and Seneca Ridge since time is usually short to sneak in a ride.

Can't think of anything sandy nearby. Probably would need to head down to the bay or eastern shore.

bikeboatbrewski

Wink

Yo! DrEvil and Bradster

How you likin those hu dos? And a lefty too.

I am up around Harpers Ferry, ride the Shed, Winchester, Schlaffer, Davis and others.

Have you tried some creek/river bottoms for sand/mud wheelin? The shore is not too far away.

Got a buddy on a fat front 29r ss.

Might see me on this

I am not on here very much(boring day at work today). If you PM me we can swap emails and try to hookup sometime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

DC Area and Mid-Atlantic Fat Bikers

Greetings

Name and approximate location Steven, Ellicot City

Bike 20" Fatback, with a hodge podge of parts. I put it together at the end of 2010 thinking it would be mostly for snow. It is the olnly mtb I rode all of 2011. Lately doing back to back rides with a carbon hardtail for comparison.

AFC Sugar Hill Race

Usual parks ridden Avalon, Gambril/Watershed,Schaefer and Little Bennet
    Did the Moco Epic.
    There are some small sand bar's along the Patapsco from were they removed the Dam.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    They removed the dam? The one below the Hilton area? Woah.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Rednose/Greenback
    Name and approximate location: Rick, Vienna VA

Fat Bike: 18' Alu Fat Back ( the greenback)

Most of my riding so far has been on local trails and creek paths nearby, portions of the CCT, and some exploring along the VA side of the Potomac. I'm always looking for somewhere that Ruby can accompany me but around here, that's easier said than done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC Area and Mid-Atlantic Fat Bikers-ruby-greenback-2.jpg  

38į 54' -77į 15

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They removed the dam just North of the Paper Mill, kinda crazy how much sand there was backed up behind it when they first took it out there was a sand bar about the size of a football field and close to 8 feet high. I have heard Blode's(below Hilton area) is scheduled to be removed. I am goning to hate seeing that one go, Blode's was the first underwater power generator in world. We used to go under it to get to the other side when I first started riding there, the swining bridge was closed for years.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    They removed the dam? The one below the Hilton area? Woah.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    When I lived in Annapolis, I loved riding the street in DC. Some of my favorite riding of all. All around the mall, over the bridge and out to National Airport. It was also fun to hover around the top of the steps at The Capital waiting for security to turn their backs and go down the stairs!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Hey y'all. I knew I wasn't the only fatty around our parts, but I just didn't know who else was running the chub tires too. The only other fat biker I've ridden with is Dyultimate, who rides a sweet ti Fatback with SC-32 fork that he built up last year.

Scotty, I'm headed out to the Canaan MTB Festival in a couple of months, and no doubt bringing the Vertigo. You gonna make it out to that?

Shoo, I have to make it to Avalon soon. It's one of my favorite trail systems that I don't get to enough. I'm a little confused about the dam. If it is what I think it is (at the bottom of the Buzzards Rock run), that doesn't compute to me. That also means I've been absent from there for far too long. Do you ever hit the pump track at Rockburn with the Fatback? I can't wait until the skills session is done over there.

Last night I rode at Schaeffer and did several laps at their pump track before joining the MORE ride. I discovered pump tracks aren't their forte, but they hang just fine:

(Self-portrait double exposure)

Tomorrow I'm going to the Frederick Watershed. I want to see how silly bouncy good this bike will get on stuff like Salamander or Iceberg. Ping me by tonight for details if you want to join at a rock-crawlin' pace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Drevil,

Bloede's Dam is at the bottom of Buzzards Rock run and is still there for the time being.

Dam's
    Look closely, in the lower right is Bloede's dam, Simpkin's dam is in upper left corner and is now gone.

I have been through the pump track a couple times, less than ideal match up. Rockburn is a very small and tight pumptrack. Your bike would fit better than mine but still less than ideal.

If I don't need to work Frederick tomorrow sounds inviting.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Shoo, I have to make it to Avalon soon. It's one of my favorite trail systems that I don't get to enough. I'm a little confused about the dam. If it is what I think it is (at the bottom of the Buzzards Rock run), that doesn't compute to me. That also means I've been absent from there for far too long. Do you ever hit the pump track at Rockburn with the Fatback? I can't wait until the skills session is done over there.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Frederick Watershed. I want to see how silly bouncy good this bike will get on stuff like Salamander or Iceberg. Ping me by tonight for details if you want to join at a rock-crawlin' pace.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Name and approximate location:
    Mark / Ashburn, VA

Usual Parks Ridden:
    I will ride anywhere. The closest place I ride (weekly) is Difficult Run/Lake Fairfax Park.

Fat Bikes:
    TommiSea Destoyer - It's a 3 speed IGH w/carbon Fatback fork. It's my urban bike.
    Fatback - I change the setup based on the use. I have a set of summer 47mm and winter 70/80mm wheels. I can use the Maverick sus or the carbon Fatback fork. It's a 1x9. I XC race it and did the Susitna 100 in AK this year.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    Saw that you did Bakers and did pretty decently looking at the results. I was there but was too lazy to do more than 4 laps. The course was rippin' fast, but I undergeared and spun like crazy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Name and approximate location:
    V - Fairfax, VA

Usual Parks Ridden:
    Local parks: Wakefield/Accotink, Fountain Head, Difficult Run/Lake Fairfax Park, Rossaryville

Fat Bikes:
    Ti Fatback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC Area and Mid-Atlantic Fat Bikers-fatback.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey y'all. I knew I wasn't the only fatty around our parts, but I just didn't know who else was running the chub tires too. The only other fat biker I've ridden with is Dyultimate, who rides a sweet ti Fatback with SC-32 fork that he built up last year.

Scotty, I'm headed out to the Canaan MTB Festival in a couple of months, and no doubt bringing the Vertigo. You gonna make it out to that?

Last night I rode at Schaeffer and did several laps at their pump track before joining the MORE ride. I discovered pump tracks aren't their forte, but they hang just fine:

(Self-portrait double exposure)

And you have ridden this one of course!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC Area and Mid-Atlantic Fat Bikers-img_1706.jpg  

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by P'sanbiker View Post
    And you have ridden this one of course!!
    Duhhhhhh How could I have forgotten?

P'san let me play on his ti snow bike for a few hours to help me figure out what I was looking for in a fatty. It's pretty dang light!

Titanium Fattie

bikeboatbrewski

I will try, have to check my work schedule. Canaan MTB Festival

Be nice to have another Fat biker there that way I don't get all the stupid looks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just started mountainbiking after a two year layoff and about 40 lbs ago. Riding a 29er up around the Germantown, MD area and hope to have a Pugs in the stable soon.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    On Memorial Day (this Monday, 5/28/12), PíSan and I are meeting up at Fountainhead at 10 to float our fatties around the humps and bumps there. Not planning a fast ride, and weíll most likely stop to play around on some of the more interesting features.

If they close the trail due to soft conditions, weíre gonna detour to Laurel Hill instead and park in the prison parking lot, as long as itís not raining (and didnít the night before).

Címon out and join us for some fun. Itíd be cool to know if youíre joining us, but otherwise weíll see you there.

-rickyd

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    On Memorial Day (this Monday, 5/28/12), PíSan and I are meeting up at Fountainhead at 10 to float our fatties around the humps and bumps there. Not planning a fast ride, and weíll most likely stop to play around on some of the more interesting features.

If they close the trail due to soft conditions, weíre gonna detour to Laurel Hill instead and park in the prison parking lot, as long as itís not raining (and didnít the night before).

Címon out and join us for some fun. Itíd be cool to know if youíre joining us, but otherwise weíll see you there.

-rickyd
    I'm game for this. I have yet to ride FH since they did the remodel. I will check back in with you the night before just to make sure it's still a GO.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    I'm game for this. I have yet to ride FH since they did the remodel. I will check back in with you the night before just to make sure it's still a GO.
    Pure, unadulterated sadness cuz its raining pretty good right now, and any hope of a Fountainhead ride are dashed. In fact, I'm not sure what will be rideable tomorrow, so I'm calling off the alternate ride at Laurel Hill as well just to be on the safe side. We'll try another meetup again soon.

Have a great Memorial Day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, agreed. Good call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm in Reston and I have a Pugsley on Darryls.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    If anyone wants to meet up this weekend, I'll be at Rockburn Skills Park ~10 on Friday. Saturday, I'm hitting up the Tour de Fat in DC -- but probably won't be riding my Vertigo because I don't want to worry about it getting swiped. Sunday, I'm leading a ride at the Frederick Watershed for my sponsor shop, departing from the Hamburg Parking lot at 10.

Next weekend, I'm headed out to the Canaan MTB festival in West Virginia. Totally stoked for that!

It'd be cool to meet and ride with other local fatties, so come on out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sounds like a fun weekend. I would love to meetup at Rockburn this morning but have to work. Same with tomorrow. Might be able to make it Sunday, how long to you plan to be out on the trails?

Cheers,
    Steven

If anyone wants to meet up this weekend, I'll be at Rockburn Skills Park ~10 on Friday. Saturday, I'm hitting up the Tour de Fat in DC -- but probably won't be riding my Vertigo because I don't want to worry about it getting swiped. Sunday, I'm leading a ride at the Frederick Watershed for my sponsor shop, departing from the Hamburg Parking lot at 10.

Next weekend, I'm headed out to the Canaan MTB festival in West Virginia. Totally stoked for that!

It'd be cool to meet and ride with other local fatties, so come on out!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Sounds like a fun weekend. I would love to meetup at Rockburn this morning but have to work. Same with tomorrow. Might be able to make it Sunday, how long to you plan to be out on the trails?

Cheers,
    Steven
    Shoo,

Cool! Maybe 3-4 hours, depending who (if anyone) shows up. I usually play it by ear. More details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast