Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

DC Area Fat Bikers - MoCo Epic 2013

So who's going this year, what mileage are you doing, and what's your setup?
    https://www.bikereg.com/net/moco-epic

I'll be there but I'm undecided at this point whether I should do the 50-miler on my singlespeed (my usual setup) or try the 100K/65-miler (after maybe throwing on a few gears )

I'm also pretty sure that I'm gonna use my rigid fork and leave the Lefty at home. I don't think it's bumpy enough to warrant it, but again, TBD.

Y'all?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I like my weekends relatively relaxing and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to fit in the additional miles. (I stay up way later than I should at night and early starts kill me)

Fat bike ride Sat at 11am, kids ride at 2pm.
    35-miles on Sunday starting pretty close to 10am cut-off.

Last year the fast 65mi people caught up to me at Riley's Lock. Rolled out with the Pros and they dropped me at the Old River Rd false flat. From that point on I was in the mix with 65ers all the way back to the mother ship. Maybe we'll get to ride together after all.

Mukluk, Lefty, Nates, 1x10.
    I live next to Seneca Creek SP so the Lefty is the only wheel I built. Roots!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm leaving my fat in the garage this year. I will be the guy who agreed to ride one of the sponsors bikes...doing the full 65 on...

DC Area Fat Bikers - MoCo Epic 2013-935911_461228473967088_1716040374_n.jpg

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Whaaaat?! I ride those things around town and it ain't easy. Will you even be allowed to change the tires? Besides the weight and geometry, those slicks are gonna suck.

This is gonna be hilarious. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Business suit, dress shoes and brief case strapped to the rack for extra points! Bolt on a latte holder if they let you do mods.

I wouldn't ride one of those things through the grass. Please tell me you are going to have a couple buddies ride along shooting video. I want to see the hike-a-bike action, bombing the downhills and creek crossings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm told I will be given a Capitol Bikeshare shirt/jersey to wear. I already scored a new CB helmet to wear. As long as it remains dry out, the tires might work out fine. I asked them if I can swap pedals to clipless...still waiting for that reply. As long as I can clip in I have a chance to make it the full distance. Yes, I expect there to be lots of hike a bike!

I have yet to ride one. I hear the 3 gears are pretty low. Perfect for some MTBing!!! lol

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Try one as soon as you can. They are so harsh that when I jump off of curbs, my hands sting

Not having even ridden one, how did you convince them to sponsor you for this? I'm wondering what they are trying to prove? That the bikes are tough and can take on any terrain? Seems to me that if people think that, it'll lead to more maintenance and repairs to their fleet. Whatevs, it's goofy and funny, and that's all that matters

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    I'm leaving my fat in the garage this year. I will be the guy who agreed to ride one of the sponsors bikes...doing the full 65 on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	935911_461228473967088_1716040374_n.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	827847
    World of hurt...

My first MoCo (2012) was a blast. This year I am working, so no go. Too bad. I was looking forward to giving it another go. It is a well run event.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am looking forward to it, I signed up for the 65. Drevil, I would think you would be fine doing the 65 without gears.

Cheers,
    Steven

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am doing the moco this year - undecided between 65 and 35 miles. - will I be okay on a hard tail 29er? I know a guy that took 6.5 hours to do 35 miles last year (incl stops)
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I am doing the moco this year - undecided between 65 and 35 miles. - will I be okay on a hard tail 29er? I know a guy that took 6.5 hours to do 35 miles last year (incl stops)
    Most people ride hard tails and they are perfectly adequate.
    The 35 is actually closer to 37mi.
    6.5hrs (unless he took unusually long at each aid station) would fall nearer to "casual" pace vs. "moderate" if you are familiar with local group rides.
    My average moving speed was 9.1mph and moving time was 4:05. I took 10-15min at each aid station chatting with others. Even had RD and hanger serviced by Shimano Rep at one stop.

mtbr member

Re: DC Area Fat Bikers - MoCo Epic 2013

I'll be doing the 35 miler I did it last year on my Pug set up as a 1x9. This year I think im bringing the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	935911_461228473967088_1716040374_n.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	827847
    Here's some inspiration:

Citi Bike BMX - YouTube

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Denis (Mr. MoCo Epic) asked me to lead a fat bike ride the day before the Epic, and I said sure. I won't go hard, fast, or long because I want to conserve some energy for the next day.

It'll also be a good time to pick up your packets, check out the new jump track, and just chill with fatties (and skinnies) .

So:
    -Festival is Saturday, October 12, as is my ride. It starts at 11am.
    -MoCo Epic is Sunday, October 13.

-rickyd

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    See you there. You thinking of heading to Hoyles Mill or Schaeffer?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    See you there. You thinking of heading to Hoyles Mill or Schaeffer?
    Sorry for the late response. I was gonna play it by ear and see what others wanted to do.

So you probably already know that they MoCo has been postponed a week. Unless someone says otherwise, I'll still plan to lead the ride next Saturday (10/19). Won't be hard or long, cuz I'll need my energy for the next day

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool deal. Im from ND, currently in NOVA and happened to bring my Pugsley here. I signed up to do 65. Look forward to meeting some fellow fatbikers! I'll be on a tan/brown pugsley with some mud slinging nates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Sorry for the late response. I was gonna play it by ear and see what others wanted to do.

So you probably already know that they MoCo has been postponed a week. Unless someone says otherwise, I'll still plan to lead the ride next Saturday (10/19). Won't be hard or long, cuz I'll need my energy for the next day
    I'm out. A carefully crafted schedule allowed me to ride on the original date or the 2nd rain date weekends. I'll be doing the single parent thing instead. A risk I had to take because my wife made her plans a year in advance.
    Not going to hire a sitter for several hours on Sat and all day Sun. It'd be one hell of an expensive ride.

Maybe one day I'll meet up with you and the rest of the DC Fat contingent. Take some pictures.

psycho cyclo addict
    Don't hate the skinny peeps

I am leaning toward steep geared SS running measly 2.4's.

Sweeping the 65-miler (removing the markers on the last 35+ miles of the route). I'll be wearing a hat like my avatar before the race and taking pictures... say hullo if you are inclined to do so.

Keep an eye out for the squirrel/mascot. He is an awesome rider.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    So I got sick a couple of days ago and just spent 4+ hours in the emergency room while the doctors tried to figure out what's wrong with me. Luckily it was nothing too serious, but I'm on loopy meds now and the doc said take it easy. What I'm trying to say is that I won't be able to lead the fun/pre-ride Saturday, and that even doing the MoCo on Sunday is iffy.

So to reiterate, no fat bike fun ride on Saturday 10/19/13.

Good luck to all the participants!

-rickyd

mtbr member
    I won't be there on Sunday, since I have to go to Philly for work, but I'm going to do a ride on Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry to hear about the health issue Ricky, hope you get a good night's sleep tonight and are feeling better tomorrow. I will be there Sunday and although I am signed up for the big loop the reality is I probably will not make the full distance. I just want to ride, have fun and enjoy the trails. Hope to see you and you are able to ride a little.

L8tr,
    Steven

So I got sick a couple of days ago and just spent 4+ hours in the emergency room while the doctors tried to figure out what's wrong with me. Luckily it was nothing too serious, but I'm on loopy meds now and the doc said take it easy. What I'm trying to say is that I won't be able to lead the fun/pre-ride Saturday, and that even doing the MoCo on Sunday is iffy.

So to reiterate, no fat bike fun ride on Saturday 10/19/13.

Good luck to all the participants!

-rickyd

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by GISdork View Post
    I won't be there on Sunday, since I have to go to Philly for work, but I'm going to do a ride on Saturday morning.
    Good news, GISDork, aka Ian, has agreed to lead a fatty ride. He'll be on the white Pugs with black 907 fork. Bearded, but not evil, and prolly won't bring the mattress. Gather up at 11 at the pump track, today, Saturday 10/19.

Four Fatties at Frederick by bundokbiker, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Good news, GISDork, aka Ian, has agreed to lead a fatty ride. He'll be on the white Pugs with black 907 fork. Bearded, but not evil, and prolly won't bring the mattress. Gather up at 11 at the pump track, today, Saturday 10/19.

Four Fatties at Frederick by bundokbiker, on Flickr
    Notice that Drevil didn't photoshop this one ^ haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone see or hear of redline finishing the ride on the bike share rental? I didn't notice him coming in and I was there until near 5pm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast