Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)

This is more or less a continuation of the Tommisea thread. However, this one specifically relates to my build. I'm an average Joe Blow who stumbled across this guy and not someone pushing his company spam. My experience in dealing with him has been fantastic.

Some time ago, this guy named Dave was asked to do fat bike/beach cruiser R&D for EZ Beach Attachments. That has been completed and he no longer has that association with their company. So...now Dave started his own FaceBook page called "Dave's Fat Cycles".

FaceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daves-...30651303616724

I picked up an aluminum frame for $450. The frame is 5.6 lbs (on my digital bathroom scale). He also has a Titanium frame option for you weight weenies.

The general build details...
    Frame - Aluminum 15" (small frame)
    Front Wheel - I have 2 wheels. One is 26x80mm with a disk and the other is 26x100mm with no disk
    Rear Wheel - 26x100mm
    Brakes - Hope Tech M4 with 203mm disks front/rear.
    Crank - Truvativ Hussefelt 1.1 with FSA DH/SS 34t chainring
    Rear Hub/Gearing - Alfine 8 speed hub with trigger shifters
    Tires - 4" spider tires
    Handlebars - Ragley Bikes Carnegie’s Bar
    Stem - Titec Hell Bent
    Headset - FSA
    Saddle - WTB Comfort V Comp
    Seat Collar - Woodman Deathgrip Quick Release
    Seat Post - FSA 280 Alloy

I'm quickly changing the pink to silver. As soon as I get the paint shop lined up, the frame and fork will be copper chrome (paint). It will looks similar to the center of this piece...
    Last edited by redline814; 06-20-2010 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here are some detailed pictures for the folks who want to see closeups of the frame...

https://www.box.net/shared/7qs7dum03x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-img_0275.jpg  

Last edited by redline814; 06-19-2010 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I look forward to seeing that copper chrome paint scheme.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I need to find a welder to add a few items to the frame before I send it off for the copper chorme. I want cable guides added for the braided brake lines. I also want to see if there is any flex on the frame when I grab a handfull of 203mm rear disk. If so, I will add a bar to make a small triangle in the dropout.

I changed the color to a temporary one...because pink just wont cut for me (a guy). I really want to get it together and take it for a ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-copper-frame-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dual discs on the front?
    Andy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    Dual discs on the front?
    Andy
    That is an option. Big wheels need a big brake option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Do they have a custom front hub made to accommadate the dual rotors?
    Andy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    Do they have a custom front hub made to accommadate the dual rotors?
    Andy
    Yes. He uses a DMR rear single speed hub with spin on disk adapter. The hub is 135mm wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-34361_138324622849392_130651303616724_419006_7907624_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    More pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-34361_138324622849392_130651303616724_419006_7907624_n.jpg  

Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-35429_138325706182617_130651303616724_419009_2652740_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Some more pics...as I build it. I'm missing my stem, handlebars, seat and it's post. Soon they will be here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-0624102202b.jpg  

Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-0624102202d.jpg  

Dave's Fat Cycles (aka: Tommisea Terrain Destroyer)-0624102203.jpg  

A Surly Maverick
    Lookin` good
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814
    Yes. He uses a DMR rear single speed hub with spin on disk adapter. The hub is 135mm wide.
    I started my mt fixie career with one of those adapters on the left side of a flip-flop hub. The brake worked fine until I expected it to hold me on a hill (main use of a brake on a fixie) and it started to unscrew itelf. I had specifically braked hard to tighten it down, but had no loktite or other locking help.

In this application, wouldn't the right hand adapter just unscrew itself when you hit the brakes? Lefty loosey? Got some red loktite on there? JBWeld? Other "ghetto" fixie trix?
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    I started my mt fixie career with one of those adapters on the left side of a flip-flop hub. The brake worked fine until I expected it to hold me on a hill (main use of a brake on a fixie) and it started to unscrew itelf. I had specifically braked hard to tighten it down, but had no loktite or other locking help.

In this application, wouldn't the right hand adapter just unscrew itself when you hit the brakes? Lefty loosey? Got some red loktite on there? JBWeld? Other "ghetto" fixie trix?

Flip the hub 180. So the adaper is on the left side vs the right. This would continue to force it to "screw on".

EDIT: Sorry I missed the "on a hill" comment. I would think locktite would address those rare instances. As long as the breaking slows the bike while going in a forward direction, you are set.

mtbr member
    thats a rad build!
    is the tommy frame 100mm BB or regular 73mm?
    just that i have a kona humu frame i may take the grinder to this winter and doing the tape measure/piece of string measuring it looks like if i do the back end like that frame but to the lenght of a cargo frame a 73mm BB will work?,am i right there?
    diggin the twin disc set up , looks like british hope discs...
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71
    thats a rad build!
    is the tommy frame 100mm BB or regular 73mm?
    just that i have a kona humu frame i may take the grinder to this winter and doing the tape measure/piece of string measuring it looks like if i do the back end like that frame but to the lenght of a cargo frame a 73mm BB will work?,am i right there?
    diggin the twin disc set up , looks like british hope discs...
    100mm BB

Yes, Hope M4 brakes!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Looking awesome, I like the new color. I'm curious about the finished build weight once you get there.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Hey, any updates on this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Hey, any updates on this?
    A few months slow in my reply...but I do have an update.

Last weekend I dropped the frame off to be professionaly painted. I'm sticking with the copper-ish flavor (with a semi shinny finish). I though I would try and keep the upbeat bright beach theme. It's to be ready in a couple of weeks. The alu frame is not all that heavy...for what it is.

I had to get rid of that awful looking fork. I will be placing my Fatback carbon fork and UMA II wheelset on it. The IGH will go since the Fatback wheelset already has a cog. I will make it a 1x9.

I already have all the needed parts and have been playing with self made plastic fenders. I will be using plastic house siding trim I got from Home Depot. I intend on covering them with a fake wood grain pattern using preprinted contact paper sheets. Real wood is too hard to work with and I figure plastic will last forever.

I still have my Fatback that has me covered in the "lightweight" off-road category. This one will be my around town and bike packing bike. I plan on doing some long trips.

EDIT: Here is the last picture I took of it before I broke it down for paint. With the 100mm rim in the rear, the chain would rub on the side of the tire (you can see the wear in the pic).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by redline814; 09-09-2011 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    More pics...
    Hate to drag up an old thread.. but I was wondering what frame that is, the stretch cruiser frame. And if those are the 100mm rims siting in it?

NOT the copper colored one but the black stretch crusier frame from above post
    Last edited by Pangram; 03-29-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: clearification of question

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangram View Post
    Hate to drag up an old thread.. but I was wondering what frame that is, the stretch cruiser frame. And if those are the 100mm rims siting in it?

NOT the copper colored one but the black stretch crusier frame from above post
    Sorry, I have no background on the black frame bike. But, here is what the copper bike looks like today...

mtbr member
    I've got one of those black frames. Got it to use as a cargo bike many years ago.

I'd be surprised if there is enough room to fit a fat tyre unless the rear of the frame has been modified (not hard to do, it's made of mild cheese.)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=redline814;9150434]Sorry, I have no background on the black frame bike. But, here is what the copper bike looks like today...

[QUOTE]

I read your whole build.. nice job..!!
    I have a 2010 Destroyer in the large frame 22". Its a bit big and was looking for a different frame to crame it all in. Strictly used for Beach and local non-shiggy bike hashs.

I have a newer framed medium also, fits much better. Wife ended up with the 22"
    Thought I'd stuff it into something different frame wise for her. Saw the cruiser frame and thought..Huummm...!!! but after researching more your looking at 5" (127mm) in the stays. 3" sure, but no 4" without some bending or brazing.

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    Sorry, I have no background on the black frame bike. But, here is what the copper bike looks like today...

How does the rear brake work? I like the clean look.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    How does the rear brake work? I like the clean look.
    There was no rear brake in that pic
    It looks like this today...

mtbr member
    Why the chain tensioner?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast