Daily fatbike pic thread

Printable View

• 04-03-2017
    Phat Cactus
    1 Attachment(s)
    The poor Pugs. She has been watching the Ice Cream Truck head out the door all winter. She finally got a chance to stretch her legs yesterday on some local singletrack. I forgot how much I loved this bike. Looks like I need to plan a little bike-packing adventure!
  • 04-03-2017
    BansheeRune
    Phat Cactus, the Pugz says, either way, you're going over the bars cause I didn't get to play all winter long!!

Looks like a nice trail ride was in store!
  • 04-03-2017
    Phat Cactus
    Hehe Banshee! The guys sitting on their full suspension steeds at the trailhead looked at me funny as I passed by to hit the single track. I overhead some rumblings of steel, racks, and craziness coming from them. Lol!
  • 04-03-2017
    BansheeRune
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phat Cactus View Post
    Hehe Banshee! The guys sitting on their full suspension steeds at the trailhead looked at me funny as I passed by to hit the single track. I overhead some rumblings of steel, racks, and craziness coming from them. Lol!

Sarge finds those peeps most annoying cause they are in our way on climbs in particular. I can't get enough of 3.0's on singletrack. Haven't thought about +tires/wheels for the Mayor cause the fat rides into the backcountry in search of unimproved deer trails is highly irresistible.

Glad taking your lumps wasn't too hard on ya! :thumbsup:
  • 04-07-2017
    afterhours
    2 Attachment(s)
    quick test ride to test out my new bluto turned into a 4 hour adventure... not that i'm complaining :D

Attachment 1130605

Attachment 1130606

Deschutes River Trail, Bend, OR
  • 04-08-2017
    traditiionalist

• 04-08-2017
    rentalrider
    OK, that race looks like a riot! I would have some natural "gravitational assistance" in the downhill, too (I'm fat). Might just have to organize something like that in my area! Thanks for sharing!
  • 04-09-2017
    surlybugger
    1 Attachment(s)
    Trail Obstructed By Swamp
    Only affects un-capable bikes.
  • 04-09-2017
    Velobike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rentalrider View Post
    OK, that race looks like a riot! I would have some natural "gravitational assistance" in the downhill, too (I'm fat). Might just have to organize something like that in my area! Thanks for sharing!

No such thing as 'fat' on a cyclist.

Long range fuel tank, maybe. :)
  • 04-09-2017
    cmg71
    Hahhhhahaahahahahahaha
  • 04-09-2017
    MAGAIVER
    4 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1130918Attachment 1130914Attachment 1130915Attachment 1130916

There`s no snow around here but I still enjoy riding the fatty with the regular mountain bikes.
  • 04-09-2017
    afterhours
    3 Attachment(s)
    great day for some crust cruising at Sparks Lake, Bend, OR

Attachment 1130931

Attachment 1130932

Attachment 1130933
  • 04-09-2017
    Shark
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1130966
    Found some new rocks today.
  • 04-10-2017
    Jayem
    6 Attachment(s)
    Race was from the top of the tram down to the day lodge, something like 2200 vertical. Speeds weren't nearly as fast this year, only around 45mph instead of 55mph, big ruts formed, which wouldn't be so bad, but you couldn't see well at the top, in typical Alyeska fashion. I remember a ski day this year when I shared the lift with a girl visiting from CO who asked "is the visibility always this bad?" Yep. This race is a blast though, you get some fast speeds going. I got 9th, which was better than I thought I'd do, given how slow I was at first trying to see where I was going and then later when I crashed on a switchback (but it's snow, so who cares?). Brakes were burning like crazy coming though, haha. Top time still less than 3 minutes.

Riding down from the Tram building to the start of the race...figuring out "holy shit, this is soft as heck" (new snow)
    Attachment 1131027
    Which made everyone adjust their tire pressures.
    Attachment 1131024

Attachment 1131023

Attachment 1131025

Attachment 1131026
    This guy only rode half a bike! Ballsy.
    Attachment 1131028

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXtfRu4oWR0&t=14s
  • 04-10-2017
    Wcginn
    1 Attachment(s)
    Great Sand Dune National Park
    Twenty2 Bully Fat Bike, Wife of 50 years, & SAND.
  • 04-12-2017
    Pack66
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1131496

Ocotillo in bloom. Desert can get pretty green at times...
  • 04-14-2017
    bike2ski
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1131834
    interior Alaska singletrack
  • 04-15-2017
    Pack66
    1 Attachment(s)
    This thread needs more goose.

Attachment 1131878

*edit: posting from this phone is hard.
  • 04-16-2017
    Magicscreen
    1 Attachment(s)
    On the trail today...
    Attachment 1132185

Be on the look-out for slower moving fauna :)
  • 04-17-2017
    ianick
    1 Attachment(s)
    First ride on new tires

Attachment 1132272
  • 04-17-2017
    KTMNealio
    1 Attachment(s)
    Some BMX action
    Just some little BMX jumps
  • 04-19-2017
    Maxeymum
    2 Attachment(s)
    A couple of small segments of the Maah Daah Hey trail in SW North Dakota, riding from the Bully Pulpit trailhead.
  • 04-19-2017
    Engineer90
    Nockamixon PA last weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-19-2017
    Engineer90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    First ride on new tires

Attachment 1132272

Don't you love the Maxxis Minions? They're grippy AF! :)

BTW, I am surprised that you could fit 4.8 in the Bucksaw. Thought the largest size you could fit was 4.0
  • 04-20-2017
    kaleidopete
    Singletrack Wawayanda

• 04-20-2017
    rlbruski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxeymum View Post
    A couple of small segments of the Maah Daah Hey trail in SW North Dakota, riding from the Bully Pulpit trailhead.

I rode my Bucksaw in the MDH 25 last year. Registered for the MDH 50 this year. Haven't decided if I'm riding the Bucksaw or what yet. Do you ride in the race?
  • 04-20-2017
    Maxeymum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rlbruski View Post
    I rode my Bucksaw in the MDH 25 last year. Registered for the MDH 50 this year. Haven't decided if I'm riding the Bucksaw or what yet. Do you ride in the race?

I too have a Bucksaw now, just picked it up a few weeks ago in Bismarck. Very cool you raced it in that race. I haven't done the race yet; my son was talking about the 4x25 mile segment relay last year and I was going to do one leg, but it never came to fruition.
  • 04-20-2017
    Engineer90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kaleidopete View Post
    Singletrack Wawayanda

Is the trail heavy with rocks and rock gardens? I go hiking in that area a lot and know how rocky it is!
  • 04-20-2017
    rlbruski
    Quote:

I too have a Bucksaw now, just picked it up a few weeks ago in Bismarck. Very cool you raced it in that race. I haven't done the race yet; my son was talking about the 4x25 mile segment relay last year and I was going to do one leg, but it never came to fruition.

Congrats on the Bucksaw! Great bikes. You should sign up for the race. My son and I and 2 buddies are doing the 50. Will be camping at the Medora Campground!
  • 04-20-2017
    rlbruski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kaleidopete View Post
    Singletrack Wawayanda

A fat bike in its element!! 👍🏻👍🏻
  • 04-20-2017
    ianick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    Don't you love the Maxxis Minions? They're grippy AF! :)

BTW, I am surprised that you could fit 4.8 in the Bucksaw. Thought the largest size you could fit was 4.0

They are really grippy. I especially enjoy the side knobs and how far you can lean the bike over. Quite a difference from the FBN that was on the rear previously.

These are the 4.0 Minions. The Bucksaw is not likely to clear the 4.8.
  • 04-20-2017
    rlbruski
    1 Attachment(s)
    Bucksaw Full Moon Ride!
  • 04-20-2017
    Maxeymum
    Quote:

Congrats on the Bucksaw! Great bikes. You should sign up for the race. My son and I and 2 buddies are doing the 50. Will be camping at the Medora Campground!

I'll have to look into the dates -- I already have a good chunk of my summer booked up with holidays and other commitments.:bluefrown:

And yep, am already deeply in love with my Bucksaw!
  • 04-20-2017
    Engineer90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    They are really grippy. I especially enjoy the side knobs and how far you can lean the bike over. Quite a difference from the FBN that was on the rear previously.

These are the 4.0 Minions. The Bucksaw is not likely to clear the 4.8.

IDK if you've been to Nockamixon in PA, very flowy and fast. I lean the hell out of my fattie and pick up a lot of speed. Handles a hell of a lot better than my 29er.
  • 04-20-2017
    rlbruski
    Quote:

I'll have to look into the dates -- I already have a good chunk of my summer booked up with holidays and other commitments.:bluefrown:

And yep, am already deeply in love with my Bucksaw!

Race is August 5. 6:00 AM start.
  • 04-20-2017
    Maxeymum
    Quote:

Race is August 5. 6:00 AM start.

Ok, thanks for that. I wonder why they do it in August...the Badlands are usually hot as hades that time of year. Hence the 6:00 AM start I suppose.
  • 04-23-2017
    Azwanderer
    1 Attachment(s)
    New fat bike
  • 04-23-2017
    Maxeymum
    Nice! Can't make out the brand, what is it?
  • 04-23-2017
    Azwanderer
    It's a Moose 3.0
  • 04-23-2017
    Maxeymum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Azwanderer View Post
    It's a Moose 3.0

Thanks. It's a nice looking rig.
  • 04-23-2017
    kaleidopete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    Is the trail heavy with rocks and rock gardens? I go hiking in that area a lot and know how rocky it is!

Very rocky, that is South End trail, joins others to go around the lake
  • 04-23-2017
    Dr Feelygood !
    1 Attachment(s)
    TKK, fully Fat Fun :)
    Weekend Fat Fun in the UK :thumbsup:
  • 04-25-2017
    thegoldrun
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Fatboy Carbon with Vee Apache Fattyslick.. super fun "townie" mode, Oveja Negra bag for beers. The 4.5" Fattyslicks measure roughy 10mm wider than the stock Ground Controls 4.6" tires, but they fit fine with no clearance issues.

Attachment 1133813
  • 04-28-2017
    cmg71
    4 Attachment(s)
    Monday was 20 degrees l rode in shorts and tshirt, then Thurs night it dumped 40cm of snow on us, so Friday l had to leave work early to go enjoy it 😎

Attachment 1134410

Attachment 1134411

Attachment 1134412

Attachment 1134413
  • 04-29-2017
    Blinkz
    No snow in MN but it is quite chilly.

• 04-30-2017
    Maxeymum
    2 Attachment(s)
    Just off the Maah Daah Hey trail in SW N. Dakota. That weird looking rock caught my eye so I stopped for a photo.
  • 04-30-2017
    Bacon Fat
  • 04-30-2017
    weisoseis
    Quote:

Just off the Maah Daah Hey trail in SW N. Dakota. That weird looking rock caught my eye so I stopped for a photo.

Did you ever think for a second that the rock could be a piece of a meteor? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 04-30-2017
    Blinkz
    Rain has closed all the trails here, so here is a throw back to some sun earlier this year.

• 04-30-2017
    Maxeymum
    As I understand it these rocks were formed from coal burning naturally underground. There are places in this area where steam rises from the ground from still burning coal veins. I do like your meteor theory however!
  • 05-01-2017
    dgw2jr
    Tettegouche State Park
  • 05-01-2017
    Steve Balogh
    New Quiring Fat Bike for my wife

The bent top tube combined with the dropper post solves a lot of issues my wife had with riding previous bikes I had set up for her. The purple paint changes hue a bit under different lighting and angles.
  • 05-07-2017
    levity
    Intrepid trail, Canyonlands Natl Park

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 05-09-2017
    IndyTech
    1 Attachment(s)
    Farley 9.8 w/ HED wheels
    My Trek Farley 9.8, SRAM Eagle XX1 and HED Wheels.

Attachment 1136330
  • 05-12-2017
    blowery
    1 Attachment(s)
    More Urban riding

Attachment 1136795
  • 05-12-2017
    Optiflow

by Optiflow, on Flickr

by Optiflow, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tv4LPz]
    by Optiflow, on Flickr

Exploring nearby ravines with Fatty.
  • 05-12-2017
    KTMNealio
    1 Attachment(s)
    Dinking around at the BMX track
    Messin around at the BMX track with my son

Attachment 1136818
  • 05-12-2017
    BlackCanoeDog
    trailside pond...
  • 05-12-2017
    levity
    Monitor Butte, near Moab

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 05-12-2017
    Blinkz
    How about one that is a little less pretty. Might have had to bail after sticking my tire into one of the trees.

• 05-15-2017
    Scooby349
    " width="549">
  • 05-16-2017
    TahoeBC
    2 Attachment(s)
  • 05-16-2017
    levity
    TahoeBC - Beautiful! Where? When?
  • 05-17-2017
    cmg71
    1 Attachment(s)
    After two weeks in Beijing China (for work), l needed this ride and its moments of peace

Attachment 1137556

St Gallen, Switzerland.
  • 05-17-2017
    TahoeBC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by levity View Post
    TahoeBC - Beautiful! Where? When?

South of Tahoe off Hwy 88 last Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAsJdby2LSY
  • 05-21-2017
    levity
    atop Cowbell Mesa overlooking part of the JEM trail system near Hurricane and Virgin, Utah (trailhead in the distance, upper left)
    Zion Natl Park in the distance (upper right)

• 05-21-2017
    dgw2jr
    1 Attachment(s)
    Nine Mile Recreation Area
    Attachment 1138437
  • 05-23-2017
    fokof
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-28-2017
    Weinerts
    2 Attachment(s)
    "Why do you always do stupid things" My wife.
    I spend as much time up in June Lake California as possible - but normally do not get out riding much. SO I left the fatty up here. Now whenever I come I can ride whenever my family does not want to do anything.

There are off road trails that go up to Reverse Peak that leave form June Lake. The trail is mostly soft sand - hey I have a fat bike and a few hours... I have a plan.

The goal was to ride down the June lake Loop on the road to Rush Creek and then ride the trial back to June Lake Brewery while my family was in Mammoth looking for used ski stuff.

Plan worked great- (other than realizing because I did not look at the map very well) that from Rush creek to June lake was almost all up hill in the sand. But I had 2 peanut butter sandwiches - and a full camel Back - bring it on.

About 3/4 of the way up a steep off camber climb - I felt that wallow feeling - back tire going flat. I got to the top of the climb. Removed the rear wheel (then noticed that my multi-tool was not in my camel back... Oh well don't need it right now). Took out old tube - put in new tube - and started the dreaded "inflate Fat tire with mini pump."

I was jamming away enjoying the view - when I noticed.. not inflating...
    It takes a while so I kept at it... not inflating...

Pump seems to be working - but as soon as I get to the tube having any back pressure - pump gags. :madman: http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad2.gif

I start cussing - I have about 2 miles to go (uphill) and I hate walking.
    I put the old tube back in (presta) and I can air it up enough to roll. Only hitting the rim on rocks but the trail is mostly sand.

I get a phone call from my daughter (14) and we make plans to have the Family (with all sorts of snide remarks) rescue me at the 395. I roll down the hill with .5 lbs of pressure in the back tire. Make it to the bottom of the hill - then add more air - stand and jam on the flat until the tire goes flat again (sand is nice). I am almost there and the van rolls up.

I am going to burn that pump and buy a nice one.

I am going back to tubeless - the problem is that I will only ride it 3 or 4 times this year and am not sure that the tubeless juice (why I switch back to tubes ) would work well.

I have to reduce the image sizes then I can upload them.Attachment 1139395Attachment 1139396
  • 05-28-2017
    fokof
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-28-2017
    MAGAIVER
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-28-2017
    B_Aero

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 05-28-2017
    BansheeRune
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinerts View Post
    I spend as much time up in June Lake California as possible - but normally do not get out riding much. SO I left the fatty up here. Now whenever I come I can ride whenever my family does not want to do anything.

There are off road trails that go up to Reverse Peak that leave form June Lake. The trail is mostly soft sand - hey I have a fat bike and a few hours... I have a plan.

The goal was to ride down the June lake Loop on the road to Rush Creek and then ride the trial back to June Lake Brewery while my family was in Mammoth looking for used ski stuff.

Plan worked great- (other than realizing because I did not look at the map very well) that from Rush creek to June lake was almost all up hill in the sand. But I had 2 peanut butter sandwiches - and a full camel Back - bring it on.

About 3/4 of the way up a steep off camber climb - I felt that wallow feeling - back tire going flat. I got to the top of the climb. Removed the rear wheel (then noticed that my multi-tool was not in my camel back... Oh well don't need it right now). Took out old tube - put in new tube - and started the dreaded "inflate Fat tire with mini pump."

I was jamming away enjoying the view - when I noticed.. not inflating...
    It takes a while so I kept at it... not inflating...

Pump seems to be working - but as soon as I get to the tube having any back pressure - pump gags. :madman: http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/mad2.gif

I start cussing - I have about 2 miles to go (uphill) and I hate walking.
    I put the old tube back in (presta) and I can air it up enough to roll. Only hitting the rim on rocks but the trail is mostly sand.

I get a phone call from my daughter (14) and we make plans to have the Family (with all sorts of snide remarks) rescue me at the 395. I roll down the hill with .5 lbs of pressure in the back tire. Make it to the bottom of the hill - then add more air - stand and jam on the flat until the tire goes flat again (sand is nice). I am almost there and the van rolls up.

I am going to burn that pump and buy a nice one.

I am going back to tubeless - the problem is that I will only ride it 3 or 4 times this year and am not sure that the tubeless juice (why I switch back to tubes ) would work well.

I'd say for the time between rides tubes will serve you better than tubeless. The sealant would likely be like adhesive in the tire and make a hella mess to sort out on your next visit. Lezyne micro floor drive fat pump for it's amazing ability to air up a fatty in short order.
  • 05-28-2017
    Tunalic
  • 05-29-2017
    cmg71
    Gossau SG, Switzerland