Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Custom Triton Ti fatbike

Hi fellow fat lovers,

Putting together a fat hardtail/ Snow bike. For use in northwest Norway. Thought I'd bore you folks with my build.

I originally just wanted something to ride through the winter. A nice stable snowbike with some load carrying options. I like to build up my own bikes. So I was looking to order a frame & forks from somewhere. I struggled somewhat to get any shipped up here, and in the end it worked out only a little more expensive to get a custom Ti frame made by Triton in Russia. S
    Somewhere along the way I got seduced by the idea of a fat hardtail. As my current off-road bike is a lightweight, fully rigid, single speed 29er. I figured it would be a nice addition to the bike shed. Now I'm looking to have two set-ups. The frame being designed to work well in both (I hope). I was going to combine my rocker drop-outs, with an angleset headset. To allow adjustment of both wheelbase and head tube angle for each encarnation. But have now decided I'm happy with a 70 HTA for everything.

Winter - Salsa Enable fork, and studded BFLs.
    Summer - Mendon Lefty, and Knards.

Although to start with, it will be a hybrid or the two.

Component list.
    Frame - Triton Ti Custom
    Fork - Cannondale Lefty max, Mendon Cycleworks style
    Headset - Hope
    Seatpost - Triton Ti 0 offset
    Handlebars - Jones CutH
    Stem - J&L OversizeTi 90mm, 5deg
    Saddle - Fizik GobiXM
    Handlebartape - Fizik Microtex + gel
    Crankset - RaceFace Atlas
    Bottom Bracket - RaceFace Ext bearing
    Chainring - Homegrown Single speed 31T
    Chain - Shimano XTR
    Cassette - Shimano XTR 11-36T
    Levers Sram TT900 + Paul thumbie
    Cableouters - Gore Sealed, Ride on
    Cableinners - Gore Sealed, Ride on
    Front mech - Superstar components Chainkeeper
    Rear mech - Sram X.0
    Rim Tape - Surly Fattape
    Brakes - Hope M4
    Rims - Vicious Cycles Graceful fat sheba
    Hubs - Project 321 Lefty
    Hubs - Hope Pro II Fatsnow
    Skewers - Salsa QR
    Spokes - DT Swiss SuperComp
    Nipples - DT Swiss alloy
    Tyre(front) - Surly Big fat larry (home studded)
    Tyre (back) - Surly Big fat larry (home studded)
    Tube(front) - Nokian Gazzaloddi
    Tube (back) - Nokian Gazzaloddi
    Pedals - Crank Bros Mallet

Definitly needs to be said that there are some bloody clever ideas, and some nice home fixes in this build. All of which are grabbed from this here forum. Cheers folks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Triton Ti fatbike-lefty-fitted.jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-fat-rear.jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-lee-glanville-uk-fatbike_28-feb-2.jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-lg_frame_isoview_2.jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-lg_frame_isoview.jpg  

A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

ouch....
    Sweet!!!
    Did you stud those bfl yourself? They have a studded version of the husker du, wouldn't be as wide though.
    Going to be an awesome bike, have fun!!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Sweet!!!
    Did you stud those bfl yourself? They have a studded version of the husker du, wouldn't be as wide though.
    Going to be an awesome bike, have fun!!
    Cheers.

Yeah, I used the Gripstuds. About as thin a tread as you could stud. But it went fine. We get varible winter weather here because of warm air being blown off the gulf stream. In combination with freezing air blowing in from the mountains. Depending on wind direction. So ice is a very big problem. I'm hoping the sparse studding on the BFLs will be enough. If not I'll add more studs to the 2 more central rows on each tyre.
    62*28'

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Custom bikes are always exciting. Custom ti and fat? Woot!

How long before we see it rolling around?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Custom bikes are always exciting. Custom ti and fat? Woot!

How long before we see it rolling around?
    I've been wanting to design my own frame for some time. Not sure a fat frame was the best frame to cut my teeth on though. Lots to consider. Exciting is one word. I could think of others.

The frame is being wielded now , and I have everything save seatpost and brakes. So not long

Its not a technical copy (dont know your numbers). But your bike was definitly an inspiration.
    62*28'

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    This is a thread i have been waiting for !
    I have been reading/following the Triton thread and i am really looking forward to the moment when you will post your first pics.

mtbr member
    I know there's a thread on this. But its easier to post here where the build info is.

I'd planned to get a matching Ti seatpost. But my experiances with my 29er has me considering a dropper seatpost. I think it may be the fact that I ride such small bikes. But I do struggle for bum space when meeting technical terrain.

Any thoughs on fatbike dropper seatpost usage on this build?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Triton Ti fatbike-dropper.jpg  

62*28'

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    Any thoughs on fatbike dropper seatpost usage on this build?
    I've never used a Gobi saddle (like you intend to use), but I noticed a huge difference in ease of getting off the back of the saddle when I switched from an older Specialized Phenom saddle to a newer Specialized Henge. The shape and lack of plastic bumpers on the Henge makes it really easy to throw the bike in front of you if necessary.

Looking at the Gobi though, it doesn't seem like the shape is much of an issue... maybe practice?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I've never used a Gobi saddle (like you intend to use), but I noticed a huge difference in ease of getting off the back of the saddle when I switched from an older Specialized Phenom saddle to a newer Specialized Henge. The shape and lack of plastic bumpers on the Henge makes it really easy to throw the bike in front of you if necessary.

Looking at the Gobi though, it doesn't seem like the shape is much of an issue... maybe practice?
    I have a San Marco Phobos on the 29er. Its darn uncomfortable, and seems very much in the way. So you make a valid point.

Still tempted by the option of simply dropping the saddle 3-4".
    62*28'

mtbr member
    I'm also thinking of a dropper post......

mtbr member
    I'm switching back to a dropper this season. I rode with one two years ago on my fattie but the weight weenie in me ditched it last year. Much more comfortable riding in snow gear while descending/sliding.

On another note be really careful not to go too deep with the grip studs on the BFL. If you see any silver bits on the inside of the tire you may want to gorilla tape them. I used them on a BFL last season and went a tad too deep on a handful of them. Even after backing them out a little they seem to screw back in while riding (on dirt mostly). I was getting flats like crazy until I taped them. They are awesome though. Much better than I expected. They seriously improve your traction on ice.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    It was your thread/post that convinced me to try the gripstuds on my BFLs. Cheers!

I studded them slowly with my thumb on the underside. Still felt some go through the carcass weave, though not the rubber underside. So I guess I'll find out.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    I'm sure you did better than me. I became a little impatient after a couple hundred studs. Nice bike by the way. Can't wait to see the pics!
    The LPG

mtbr member
    I think I am going to get the KS Lev if I can find one in stock. Seems like the stock is gone for the year. I like the cable is fixed.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'm looking forward to owning a Lev as well. I was the most long term happy with my last KS post versus the other posts I had. Agreed on the cable staying in one place.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    I picked that post, largely because it has nice blue bits. I think I tend to over think every last component untill my brain gets bored and I just finish the bike off whatever I like the colour of.....

I dont really want a cabl for the seatposte, as I'm trying to keep things simple. Both in terms of cabling, and cockpit. I had spec'd internal routing for the rear mech, and brake hose. To make man handling the bike in deep snow easier. But seems to be a touch tricky. Having a BMC Racemaster roadie with internal cables that were a massive PITA to set up. I'm not exactly sad to see the option go.

Currently looking at options for frame bag, gastank bag, saddle bag, and pogies. I'd love to splash money on acustom matching set. In black and grey, with blue lining/details. Dont have the funds currently.
    62*28'

How much does it weigh?
    I've been wanting a Triton frame for years now.

Glad to see someone getting a Fatbike made by Triton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    I've been wanting a Triton frame for years now.

Glad to see someone getting a Fatbike made by Triton
    Its coming up to 12 months since I paid. Which is basically what I expected. If its finished around Xmas, it will still be finished quicker than I have managed collected the other parts needed. I tend to treat myself to a bike part, once a month, so building bikes takes time for me (the BMC racemaster took 18 months, and that was based on a OTP frameset).
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deloresstuarty View Post
    The frame being designed to work well in both
    I mean both set-ups, hradtail and snowbike. Sorry its not that clear.

As a snow bike (running a Salsa enabler fork), with stable handling coming from a combination of low BB, longish wheelbase, and a slackish front end (front end geo is a bit more complex though).

As a hardtail (running lefty fork), with slighter shorter wheelbase. The front end will be still be slackish. But I quite like a slack front end with a short stem and wide bars for off-roading.

I had toyed with the idea of an oversized headtube, and angleset headset. To better adust the front end for each use. With the rocker drop-outs as well, you can go from the rough geo of Snow specific fatty, to a trail specific fatty. With relativly small adjustment. Fun bike nerdery. But in reality 70 degrees is fine IMHO.
    62*28'

mtbr member
    Actually I just noticed some missing pics in your post. maybe I misunderstood it.

Sorry.
    62*28'

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfurry View Post
    Actually I just noticed some missing pics in your post. maybe I misunderstood it.

Sorry.
    Ignore the SPAM bot. Same incomprehensible post in a bunch of threads.

Build is looking great, can't wait to see more progress.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Its all getting mad exciting. The front triangle is tacked, and the rear end geometry is now finalised after loads of stressful measuring. I rebuilt the front wheel, as it was too dished, and still was'nt 100% centered in the Lefty. Now all the spokes run along the left spoke bed of the GFS, and the wheel is perfectly balanced, and a lot stronger.

On paper I reckon I could run the awesome Bud/Lou combo (would require the rocker drop-outs to be pulled right back I reckon). There's no technical excuse for wanting 5" knobbly tyres, and 100mm of suspension, on summer trails. But I'm sure folks on here would understand the desire.

Toying with the idea of building it SS to start with. I'm a simplistic cyclist. I think I'd get to know the bike better without the complication of gears.

Sorry to repeat myself. But a big thanks to those that take the time to post on the fatbikes forum. Stealing your ideas is whats made it possible for a simple guy like myself to get this far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Triton Ti fatbike-headtube.jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-tacked-2.jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-tacked..jpg  

Custom Triton Ti fatbike-chainstay_plane_cut-2-.jpg  

62*28'

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Dette ser veldig spennende ut!!! You should post this build on terrengsykkel.no. I've already taken the liberty of linking to it in the "Er fatbike ett bra konsept?" thread, but it really deserve it's own thread.

Nemophilist
    COOL!

I like the renderings, and I'm intrigued by Ti lately, but the CSs look like heel knockers. I'd move the bends rearward and adjust the approach angles of the CS to the DO to get more shoe clearance... if it's not too late. Just a thought.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FSThompson View Post
    Dette ser veldig spennende ut!!! You should post this build on terrengsykkel.no. I've already taken the liberty of linking to it in the "Er fatbike ett bra konsept?" thread, but it really deserve it's own thread.
    Takk.

Jeg allerede har et på LFGSS.com. 3 blir litt mye kansje

Men jeg kan godt deltar i tråden. Det er ikke akkurat lett å få tak i dele i Norge.
    62*28'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast