Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Custom Noleen Fatbike Girder Fork

Here are some pictures of a Noleen carbon fiber fork that I just modified to work with 100mm rims and 135mm hub. This thread is mainly for entertainment purposes, as I haven't tested it and won't be able to for quite some time. It looks like it might work and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I just wish they would have made a 29er fork, because it was easy to widen, but not easy to lengthen. I bolted the extensions to the original dropouts. I did this for strength and so I could convert it back to stock if I ever find something better. The hub is a DMR single speed rear hub. This fork will go on a frame that I'm just starting to build. If I can build it, it will be a full suspension fatbike. You guys will probably like that part. What you might not like is the plan of putting a 1500w electric motor, driven through a freewheel crank. I'm hoping to have year round transportation, that will hopefully go around 30mph. When I get the frame done, I'll start a different thread for it.
    The original fork.

After modification.

No, that's not phonetic
    Fatbikes are such a magnet for hillbilly engineering. Luv it.

mtbr member
    I love it and often wondered if it could be done.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    This could get interesting

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There goes the price of Noleens on E Bay!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I have nothing against an electric fat bike for transportation.

Don't know if you'd want to hit 30 in the snow, though.

Going to cross-post the electric part of this on endless-sphere?

mtbr member
    Great minds etc...

I've got one of those forks lying in bits on my bench for fattening. It's alloy and I haven't decided between using carbon tube for a new fork leg or welding the existing alloy legs.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
    As an owner of a few Proflex bikes, 13000miles on my Oz, glad to see more mods. I am posting a link to this string on the Proflex website Tech Forum(proudly operated for years by Proflex riders). They are going to cheer!

Here is the link if you are interested http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/index.php?board=1.0

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Thanks for that link.

mtbr member
    Did you extend the fork link spindles or are you simply using longer bolts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Did you extend the fork link spindles or are you simply using longer bolts?
    I made new spindles. I'm pretty sure the originals were titanium, but mine are just steel.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sweet - I'll buy one off you!

mtbr member
    I just scored two Girvins. One for a rat project and one for this conversion. I know where there is another.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit
    I just scored two Girvins. One for a rat project and one for this conversion. I know where there is another.
    If there's anything I can help you with, let me know.

mtbr member
    Seeing as you already have the dimensions of the spindles and spacers, how about selling it as a kit?

I'm sure there would be quite a few interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Seeing as you already have the dimensions of the spindles and spacers, how about selling it as a kit?

I'm sure there would be quite a few interested.
    I'd be nervous about selling kits until I've tested mine. Also, I've never been around any of the other versions to know if they're all the same or not. I could probably make longer spindles for someone if they gave me the lengths of the originals. But like I said in the first post, it's the lengthening of the fork that's the hard part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Warning Update 5-18-11 + pics of FS E-Fatbike progress

I hate discussing my failures, but I don't want anyone else to have this problem. I was finally able to test my custom Noleen fork today and found a major flaw in my design. When I applied the front brakes, the carbon fiber cracked at the top of the extensions that I made. Afterwards it seemed obvious why it happened. I just wish I would have forseen this in the beginning. The forward rotational force of the caliper, which is attached to the extension, was too much for the carbon fiber tube. I think I'm more upset about ruining a perfect and somewhat rare fork than anything. I still think the concept will work, just not the extended carbon tube part of it. Now I will replace the carbon fiber with chromoly tubing, made to the right length. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

I thought I would post some pictures of the progress I've made on my full suspension fatbike. I wanted to post pictures now, before I put the batteries on and enclose the triangle. I know this isn't for everyone, but I thought that some would like to see the rear suspension idea. I think it's going to work. Then again, I thought the front suspension was going to work. The somewhat unique part of this design is the pivot point of the rear suspension. I fabricated a bottom bracket shell that would accept bearings which the rear end attaches to. This way, I wouldn't have to have a chain tensioner. It's far from being done, but I thought people might like to see the progress. It has a 1500W motor and will have a 48v 30ah LiFePO4 battery pack. I'm hoping it will go 30+mph for 30+ miles. The following pictures are of the build so far. I know the welding isn't the best, but I had only owned my tig welder for a few weeks when I welded the frame. So far I only build bikes for myself, so the look of the welds aren't quite as important.

The bottom bracket shell.

BB shell with bearing.

Frame put together.

Random photos of almost complete bike.

I will update this thread if I have anymore troubles or when it's 100% complete. I'll hopefully have some video too.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Nice! I'll be interested to hear if you reach your speed and capacity goal. E-bike fan here.

That bike is monster awesome.

(Not to rain on your parade, but you do realize your wattage output is illegal and is no longer defined as a bicycle, yes?)

Nice freewheeling crank, too.

mtbr member
    Insane. The custom builders on my site would flip if they saw this beast. They love my girvin, their heads would explode if that saw this one.
    Last edited by bighit; 05-19-2011 at 04:37 AM.

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit
    Insane. The custom builders on my site would flip if they saw this beast. They love my girvin, their heads would explode if that saw this one.
    There's almost nothing on this bike that I would replicate if I were doing it myself. That's why I love it. Great job.

Agreeed that the builders on ratrodbikes.com would love this.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    I wasn't thinking of RRB, but they would like it to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

New Fork Progress

It's been raining for the last two days, so I was able to work on fixing the fork problem. I was fortunate that I still had some tubing from the frame build. It's 1 3/8 x 0.049 chromoly tubing. I cut the pieces and capped the ends. The next step was to machine the four pieces that go over the linkage axles. Since I had to make them, I made them longer than the original and was able to get rid of the brass spacers.

The next step was aligning the tubes and tacking in the machined pieces.

Everything lined up perfect, which isn't normal, and I was able to almost finish it today. The only thing left is the disk brake tab. I tig welded most of it and am still struggling with it. Especially when it comes to tacking. For now I've given up trying to tack with the tig welder and just use the mig. In some ways I'm glad the carbon didn't work out. I'm happier with the look and strength with the steel tubes. I've learned a good lesson with this set back.

mtbr member
    It just needs a large motorbike headlamp to complete it

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    nice e-bike build. is your bb size 100mm, if so, where did you get the spindle from? i have ebike build also, but with 73mm bb. I wouldn't mind trying to put it on the 100mm bb fatbike if I can get the extra long spindle in that size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast