This place needs an enema

Custom Moots fatbike fork for sale.

Brad Bingham built this fork for me ~10 years ago. He was still at Moots, and I was still obsessed with riding the entire Iditarod self-supported, as a shakedown to prepare for riding to the South Pole in the same style.

Pictures simply cannot do this fork justice. Not the welds, not the silky bends in the rack, not the many pieces that Brad fabricated from 6/4 to allow it to hold and dispense liquid fuel.

It is not a stretch to say that it is one of the finest bicycle forks ever created.

It is also not a stretch to say that there are very, very few people out there that need this fork. Fewer still that might want it.

Axle to crown is adjustable between 17" (431mm) and 17.75" (451mm) so that you can fine tune to the Nth degree.

Steerer tube is 9" (228mm) long.

Each fork leg holds ~9oz of liquid. I stored white gas in them.

There are bosses on the back of each leg for traditional water bottle cages.

The rack weighs but a few ounces, yet is incredibly stiff and sturdy once installed. I used it to haul my kitchen (stove, pot, fuel bottle, 24 hours worth of meals, stove repair kit) inside of a racktop bag.

The crown came from a Marzocchi DH fork. Monster T? Super Monster? Junior T? I can't remember which, and am not sure it really matters. Bottom line is that Brad thought it was the most elegant, stiff, durable, and easy-to-source solution at that time, and so that's the direction we went.

8mm hex broached top caps allow access to the fuel cells.

The fork fits a 12 x 150mm front hub. Keep in mind this fork was made in ~'07, which was at least 7 years before anyone ever thought of the current 15 x 150 standard. I've worked closely with DT Swiss for more than a decade, and had seen and used these 12 x 150 hubs for a few years already when this project came about. People weren't even using 135-spaced hubs yet, so going straight to 150 was a bold yet logical step. "Why not?" was the question we kept asking ourselves. The biggest tires available at that time were the venerable (god damn them...) Endomorphs, and this hub spacing allowed us to fit them with lots of room to spare.

In fact this fork can fit any 29+ tire currently available, as well as any 27.5 x 4.5" "B Fat" tire currently available. I just test fit a few 26 x 4.8" tires too -- Maxxis Colossus, Schwalbe Jumbo Jim, and Surly Bud -- and they all fit on an 80mm rim. Those three 26" tires on a 100mm rim would be too tight.

Essentially what I'm offering for sale here is a turn-key expedition-ready fork. *One* DT Swiss 440 hub is included, and I will lace it to your choice of an aluminum, tubeless-ready rim in 26", 27.5", or 29".

I have 2 other of these DT hubs on the shelf, so if you want to buy the fork with a 26", 27.5", *and* 29+ wheel all at once, I am happy to accommodate.

Price with one wheel is $2000, including shipping to the lower 48.

Want 3 wheels? Want carbon rims? Want tires included?

Clearly there are lots of potential options with wheels and tires, and there are probably a few critical details that I have inadvertently omitted. If you're serious about purchasing this fork, feel free to contact me at mike.curiak@gmail.com and we can discuss what might work best for you.

mtbr member
    That is a cool system you designed and built.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    That is so awesome

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Amazing piece of engineering. I'd never get anywhere though as I'd fill the legs with whisky.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxeymum View Post
    Amazing piece of engineering. I'd never get anywhere though as I'd fill the legs with whisky.

The people that are kicking the tires all seem to have that same thought in mind. Or whiskey in one leg and fuel in the other, and woe be unto you if you forget which is which...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Haha, no doubt. Camp stove fuel gives me serious heartburn I kid you not.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. That was a cool idea and you were way ahead curve on this one. Love using the legs for fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk