mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cross Post with Surly

So, I got a chubby Karate Monkey (cant justify full fat just yet) and I want to run a rack out back, Surly say no, so has anyone done this ?, Old Man Mountain looks most likely but also looks like a real faff to set up and deal with when needing to remove the rear wheel.

My question is has anyone come up with a cunning alternative rear rack ?

for info, thats a 100mm Pugs frok up front with a 4inch Endo on an unknown Unicycle rim, a 3 inch Dura Leopard out back on a 45mm Halo rim, 32x 20 gearing

Self-defeatist
    I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. There are several racks that clear Surly's tires and your rear wheel is no taller than a 29er tire, lots of people use racks on 29ers. Sooo...

I'd look at something simple like an Axiom if the OMM seems off-putting. I don't know if their dropout mount rack will play well with nutted axles and hooded dropouts, anyway.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Surly say not to use a rack with a disc brakes as it overloads the eyelet, seems an over sight on their part but not insurmountable, just wondered if anyone had already done the spadework on the problem before I set the brain cells running as I don't have too many to loose these days :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have this Axiom rack on mine, it's kind of kludgey looking but you can mount the bottom legs anywhere you want on the seat stays and it won't interfere with the disc mount, plus around 5 1/2 inches between the legs so you will have plenty of room ....also I have hauled 80pounds on panniers using this rack many, many times

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ssey+Rack.aspx
    Axiom Odyssey Rack at JensonUSA.com

hopeless moron
    Yeah, the Axiom will pretty much fit anything. I have the same one, and it seems to clear all tire widths/sizes, and the immense amount of adjustment height/angle of the supports is a real help.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, it’s called “sarcasm”; you’re soaking in it!

mtbr member
    I have 2 Bontrager Back Rack I's on my Pugs and they both fit great. I had to trim the front rack down a bit to clear the fork and head tube, but they work and look awesome plus they are cheap!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross Post with Surly-pug.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau
    I have 2 Bontrager Back Rack I's on my Pugs and they both fit great. I had to trim the front rack down a bit to clear the fork and head tube, but they work and look awesome plus they are cheap!
    That looks good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    That looks good.
    Thanks man! Also, Bontrager makes a ton of sweet panniers that easily fit onto the Back Racks.

Rack:
    http://bontrager.com/model/08243

Bags:
    http://bontrager.com/products/accessories/bags
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Dusto
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

So, I got a chubby Karate Monkey (cant justify full fat just yet) and I want to run a rack out back, Surly say no, so has anyone done this ?, Old Man Mountain looks most likely but also looks like a real faff to set up and deal with when needing to remove the rear wheel.

My question is has anyone come up with a cunning alternative rear rack ?

for info, thats a 100mm Pugs frok up front with a 4inch Endo on an unknown Unicycle rim, a 3 inch Dura Leopard out back on a 45mm Halo rim, 32x 20 gearing
    Interested in what you came up with. I don't think a lot of people understood that it isn't a tire clearance issue but a disk brake/poor dropout design issue. Now we have Ogres, but I still have older KMs also, and I am about to have this issue and there isn't a lot of info. Is everybody telling you to use an Axiom rack. Where will that mount and does that mean you use p-clamps at all four contact points?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I actually ended up using the Topeak Super Tourist DX For Disc Brake Rear Pannier Rack for a year or so with no problems at all

Dusto
    Thanks for your help. Two more questions. Have you been fully loading it and does it mount at the dropout eyelets without issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I can't comment on how the Topeak Super Tourist DX will fit on a (half?) fatbike but I've been running one on my Surly LHT for about a year and a half -- and loading it up pretty heavily on occasion. This rack flat out rocks - and the Topeak click-in system for securing paniers is extremely convenient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yup, mostly like this, but also with the sides dropped and packed with clothes etc

It fits the eyelets no problem, ample clearance for the disc caliper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    more images of the setup here

August Holiday 2011 - a set on Flickr

Dusto
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClark View Post
    I can't comment on how the Topeak Super Tourist DX will fit on a (half?) fatbike but I've been running one on my Surly LHT for about a year and a half -- and loading it up pretty heavily on occasion. This rack flat out rocks - and the Topeak click-in system for securing paniers is extremely convenient.
    Is that a Long Haul Trucker with disks? But those have a different caliper mount. I always wonder if the bolts will shear with the extensions to clear disk brakes. Anyone ever have that happen? The claim is older Karate Monkeys were not meant to have disk brakes and a rear rack. So I have been running a linear pull brake on the back (a mullet?). I also have a LHT (non disk brakes) with Jannd racks front and rear. I like all the Trucker frame and forks. They make nice bikes in my opinion.

Dusto
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

yup, mostly like this, but also with the sides dropped and packed with clothes etc

It fits the eyelets no problem, ample clearance for the disc caliper
    Thanks for the information, SteveM. That's a nice Karate Monkey.

Members who have read this thread: 0