Thread: Creaky Crank

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Creaky Crank

I bought a 2012 aluminum fatback last fall. The build included the fatback/fsa crank and bottom bracket, and it's made noise under load pretty much since day one. I've disassembled the crank and pulled the bb several times, re-greased, re-torqued, etc. and still no joy. Tried additional spacers, fewer spacers, high bearing torque, low bearing torque. I called fatback this afternoon and they said they've never had any issue with the cranks and bb.

Any suggestions???

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Did you check the chainring bolts?

Disassemble, clean, and reassemble with grease, antisieze, or blue loctite. Sometimes, a squirt of oil on the chainring bolts is enough to quiet things for a short time and let you know that you found the problem...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have you tried relubing your pedals and / or the pedal cleat interface?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I know that this is just a shot in the dark and all, but I thought I was having the same problem with the crank or bottom bracket on my 29'er. I just kept hearing the squeak from down there.... Long story short, it was the seatpost, put some grease on it and alakazam no more squeak! Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Creaky Crank

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker22 View Post
    I know that this is just a shot in the dark and all, but I thought I was having the same problem with the crank or bottom bracket on my 29'er. I just kept hearing the squeak from down there.... Long story short, it was the seatpost, put some grease on it and alakazam no more squeak! Good luck
    Exact same thing happened to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: Creaky Crank

Op,
    I had the same exact situation as you. I thought it was the bb so i took it all apart and lube then put it back together.

Since i could not figure it out i took it to lbs and it ended up being a bearing broke in half in the steering head.

Crazy how sound travels!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZuphill View Post
    Op,
    I had the same exact situation as you. I thought it was the bb so i took it all apart and lube then put it back together.

Since i could not figure it out i took it to lbs and it ended up being a bearing broke in half in the steering head.

Crazy how sound travels!
    yup sound frequencies do some strange stuff when trying to diagnose / locate something like this. In my case chainring bolts loosened but it was an easy find & fix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks all for the responses - pretty confident it's not the seat or other sources, as the intensity of the sound changes when I adjust the tension bolt on the crank. I've disassembled, cleaned, greased, anti-seized, etc. but haven't spent much time with the chainring bolts. At least I have something else to try!

mtbr member

Creaky Crank

Well if you get off the saddle and the noise is still going on then it ain't the seat post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Creaky Crank

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker22 View Post
    Well if you get off the saddle and the noise is still going on then it ain't the seat post.
    Mine creaked all the time while standing and mashing. Which made it even easier to think it was the BB when in fact it was the seat post....go figure.

mtbr member

Creaky Crank

Racefit, now your just being confusing on purpose!!

mtbr member
    This sounds stupid, but try tightening the rear QR. If it's a Fatback import hub with the oversized QR, drop some lube on the cam and the hub / frame interface and really crank it down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Super grateful for all the ideas - it isn't the seat, it isn't the headset, it isn't the chainring bolts, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the rear hub. Pretty sure it's the crank/bb that's making noise under load. It's only when I'm really pushing on the cranks. If folks have any other suggestions regarding how to best set the bearing tension or otherwise set up the crank/bb, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I guess I'll ride it until something fails.

Moderator Moderator
    I had a creaky crank on a road bike that turned out to be a hard to see hairline crack on a Campy crank. Just another guess, but I suggest inspecting both sides of both cranks closely in case this is the cause.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had some creaking issues I SWORE was the crankset/bb. I swapped it out for a different crankset, still there!! "There has to be a crack in the frame somewhere"....I was 100% sure there was.

Took the advice found on every thread here where someone complains of a creak.

Where any two parts contact each other, apply a nice thin layer of good quality grease. I use Phil Wood bottom bracket grease......Problem SOLVED. It was my rear drop-out/hub interface.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know you're probably not thrilled with the idea of pulling the crank/BB out again, but one trick that has worked for me with creaky bottom brackets is to wrap the BB threads with a few layers of plumber's teflon tape before threading it in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    This sounds stupid, but try tightening the rear QR. If it's a Fatback import hub with the oversized QR, drop some lube on the cam and the hub / frame interface and really crank it down.

We have a winner! Thanks much for the suggestion - despite my conviction that it was for sure the bb/crank, I released the rear QR, dropped a little lube on the cam, tightened it back up, and for the first time in months enjoyed the fantastic silence of a creak-free spin.

Feeling pretty stupid for feeling so sure I knew what was going on , but stoked the noise is now gone. Cheers!

mtbr member

Creaky Crank

Creaky Crank-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365201101.466398.jpg

Fat & Single
    Good to hear you got it.

Ive just found the perpetrator of my creak... I thought I had my creak detection sorted over the years but I ended up blaming my Ti frame for this squeak/tick.... then I moved a certain component to another bike and the Ti bike is silent.

Paul components BB mounted chain keeper

Whatever the Alu/ano its made from squalks like a chicken, I replaced it with spacers and no noise at all.... shifted the keeper to another bike now the noise has moved to the other bike. Will buy the frame mounted version to eliminate the noise, bloody good chain keepers, just cant stick the noise they make when BB spacer mounted.

Im nearly thinking of using some scotchbrite and rubbing the ano finish off it ? Anyone else had issues with something similar ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX