Thread: Creak In My 907

turtles make me hot

Creak In My 907

My 907 Whiteout has a tick-creak in it when I put the coals to it. The harder I pedal, the more pronounced it becomes. Accelerating on flat ground it will do it but it really does it hammering uphill.
    This past weekend I was determined to find it. I disassembled the cranks and bottom bracket and pedals. All silky smooth and good. I cleaned everything, added fresh grease and torqued everything accordingly. Chain ring bolts are tight as well. Noise still there.

Then I removed the rear wheel and checked all the bearings in the Hope hub. I recently replaced them and they were all smooth. I then wiped the old grease off the thru axle and applied new grease. Put everything back together and no noise. Last night, on the Monday night group ride, the bike was quiet for about ten minutes and then the noise returned. I tried messing with the thru axle but no dice.

I'm going to remove the derailleur hanger tonight and make sure nothing is cracked. I don't see and cracks anywhere on the bike but this is the frame that I cracked where the seat tube and top tube meet. That weld is fine. I would like to know that the frame isn't messed up somehow before I spend money having it re powder coated from the weld repair. Maybe try replacing the thru axle??

Has anyone had anything like this before?

Oh yeah, my spoke tensions are perfect. The grease on the thru axle was the only thing that stopped the noise for a while.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm currently chasing a similar creak in my Mukluk. Only when putting the power down in significance.
    Replying here to get updates on your checklist of things tried.

The pedals and headset are also on my list. Trying to isolate if it's push-pull on the bars or only drive-train related.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Pull seatpost, clean seat tube and post, fresh grease. Just to check that box.

Can you stand to the side, put a foot on the 6 oclock pedal, push hard, then go to the other side, put that one at 6 oclock, and push hard, and make the noise, from either or both sides?

No? Your work sadly, was for naught...

Just had a buddy explode an aluminum frame, it'd been creaking for a while, he never saw the crack till BOOM.

Clean and inspect all the welds.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Loud hubs save lives!
    Chased this for several months 3-4 years ago.. Swapped out a bunch of parts, from seat to chain ring, etc.. It ended up being fixed by a little grease on the QR side plates, where they interface with the bike frame.

turtles make me hot
    Mendon, yeah... I did all of that. I even did the seat and seatpost. I think it may stop it if I check the derailleur hanger. It bolts to the frame with a tiny bolt and the thru axle goes through it as well. The fact that new grease quieted it temporarily gives me hope.
    I think I'm gonna grab one of those RSD frames just in case.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 1 Week Ago at 05:03 AM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I was having a similar creaking problem with my 2015 Whiteout Aluminum. Everytime I pedaled hard or uphill. After replacing 3 or 4 raceface bottom brackets (lost track) in the past few years, the shop discovered it was my crankset that became ovalized and that the bottom brackets were only solving the creaking issue for a short time. I recently swapped out the stock raceface turbine crankset with a new one and so far the creaking issue's gone but man whatta bill.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah. Those Raceface bottom brackets are kinda spindly. I have a Surly OD crankset on mine. Those parts are tank quality.

I'll get to work on it tomorrow after work. I only just got home now and everyone wants to watch This Is Us. Thanks for the replies so far. All helpful.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    I had a similar noise on my old 907. Remove hanger, clean, grease, reassemble, good to go.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleBeast View Post
    the shop discovered it was my crankset that became ovalized and that the bottom brackets were only solving the creaking issue for a short time.
    I have a creak on my carbon whiteout, drive side bb is what is noisey and I am down to thinking its my crank's axle is worn or ovalised.... I am just puting up with it for a while but it is starting to get to me! :-)

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I had a similar noise on my old 907. Remove hanger, clean, grease, reassemble, good to go.
    That's what I'm hoping. Doing it after work. Thanks.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    OK... Got home from work and after greeting the dog for ten minutes, I removed my rear wheel, rear derailleur and derailleur hanger. I inspected very carefully for cracks and found none. I cleaned everything and reinstalled everything with new grease. Rode the bike around my neighborhood and no noises whatsoever. We'll see how it goes on the next ride.
    Fingers crossed.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    Woohoo good luck!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    greeting the dog for ten minutes

Most mission critical part of any job well done.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Most mission critical part of any job well done.
    Most certainly. He's my buddy.
    I like turtles

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    When I get creaking its always my seat. I squirt some lubricant down the holes where the bars under the seat go through the plastic= no creaks for months. Usually worse as it gets cold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    When I get a creak I typically just tear everything off the bike, everything off the crank, and everything off the rear wheel that I can. Clean and grease all contact points, and reassemble. I have found a single layer of plumbers tape on the threads of the BB eliminates most noise from that area. I also always chase and face my BB shells before I ever ride them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had a creak that I couldn't find after doing all the normal things and this happened to my raceface turbine crank. The rim of the bolt that holds the crank arm on sheared off. The LBS that I bought them from give me a replacement bolt I think its going to work have 25 or 30 miles on it and the creak stopped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creak In My 907-20180929_190040_resized.jpg  

Creak In My 907-20180929_190413_resized.jpg  

Creak In My 907-20180929_194840_resized.jpg  

Creak In My 907-20180929_194918_resized.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Holy Cats!
    I like turtles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just tracked down and eliminated a creak I've had for months today, it was the rear axle not being tight enough. The 12mm thru on this fatbike is kind of like an oversize QR type and it was tight, just not tight enough to eliminate the creak. All is back to being completely silent...at least until the other Next SL crankarm gives out...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

turtles make me hot
    Went for a good, long ride today on a trail that saw a lot of rain two days ago. Some spots were still a little wet. My bike remained silent for the entire ride. Load off my mind.
    I can get it powder coated now.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's just toying with you.
    Latitude 61