mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Crankset for 1x11

Hi, I am looking to replace the the crankset I have with another where I can put a single 26t chainring in the winter and a 30t in the summer.

My frame is 100mm wide without the bottom brackets and 132mm with the bottom brackets installed, and the rear hub is 197mm.

I am trying to figure out if I need something with 100mm spindle or 120mm. The bottom brackets I have are for 24mm spindles, but I would consider changing them if the crankset is not too expensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Take a look at the RaceFace Cinch series cranks like the NextSL or Turbine. They are 3 piece so you buy the spindle that fits your BB shell width and for 26T you use a narrow wide direct mount ring. I run a Turbine with 26T and 10sp cassette and it works really well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have seen the turbine, but they have a 30mm spindle, so I would need to change the bottom brackets. There is the aeffect which comes with a 24mm spindle.
    The problem is I don't know which length do I need.
    Which spindle do you have, the 100mm or 120mm long?
    I would like to try setting the version for 170mm hubs to reduce the Qfactor, I have check visually and removing the 10mm spacers I have each side of the actual crankset I still would have place to mount a chainring up to 32t with a decent chain clearance.

Anyone knows if the 170mm version spindle would fit any frame with 100mm bottom bracket shell?

mtbr member
    Pretty sure you would need a 100mm spindle to go in a frame with a 100mm BB.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Pretty sure you would need a 100mm spindle to go in a frame with a 100mm BB.
    Incorrect, it is to do with the rear end width.... this then dictates what chainline you need hence axle length. I have 100mm bb but my Next SL axle is longer than 100mm for the 197mm rear.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I believe if you want to run 1x, less Q factor, and not be sure if you can fit the fattest tires(but sometimes you can), you get the skinnier one. For all other combos, wider. I'm no expert on the 190 frames tho.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kaire View Post
    I have seen the turbine, but they have a 30mm spindle, so I would need to change the bottom brackets. There is the aeffect which comes with a 24mm spindle.
    The problem is I don't know which length do I need.
    Which spindle do you have, the 100mm or 120mm long?
    I would like to try setting the version for 170mm hubs to reduce the Qfactor, I have check visually and removing the 10mm spacers I have each side of the actual crankset I still would have place to mount a chainring up to 32t with a decent chain clearance.

Anyone knows if the 170mm version spindle would fit any frame with 100mm bottom bracket shell?
    Yes it will. It will give you a 203 Q-factor. And if you have any chainline issues you can flip the ring. Open the PDF file here...

Race Face

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Yes it will. It will give you a 203 Q-factor. And if you have any chainline issues you can flip the ring. Open the PDF file here...

Race Face
    That would be an improvement on the Q-factor considering the 230mm I have now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You also have to clear the stays, some frames with the 190/197 rear may have wider stays where there could be a clearance issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    ok so I have removed both spacers which goes on the spindle, and got the right side of the crankset as close to the bottom bracket as possible.

On the higher cog I still have plenty of room for the chain and the crank arm clears the stay with about 5 mm space. Then angle on the chain is minor on the top cogs (which I use mostly) than with the actual Q-factor.
    I think I am going for the narrower version of the Aeffect, the actual pedal wideness is killing my knees.

since 4/10/2009
    I like the 30mm CINCH spindle for issues like this, because you can change the spindle and fiddle with chainline and clearance, and if something doesn't work, you can just change the spindle, rather than the whole crankset. While the Aeffect has the CINCH spider interface, you can't swap the spindle. Cuts down on the amount of experimentation you can do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I like the 30mm CINCH spindle for issues like this, because you can change the spindle and fiddle with chainline and clearance, and if something doesn't work, you can just change the spindle, rather than the whole crankset. While the Aeffect has the CINCH spider interface, you can't swap the spindle. Cuts down on the amount of experimentation you can do.
    I have a Borealis Echo with 100mm BB and 197mm rear end. I went with the Race Face Turbine Cinch with 100mm spindle. I did have to buy a new bottom bracket due to the 30mm spindle diameter, but it's a relatively cheap part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The problem is that buying new bottom brackets + the turbine crankset plus an extra spindle cost me nearly 3 times a aeffect crankset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks like you want the Aeffect crank with the XCF100 spindle since you verified clearance. This is just like my fat bike setup where I run the narrower Turbine Cinch crank(RF169 spindle) designed for the 170-77mm hub width frames on my 197mm hub width frame with the chain ring flipped for a good chain line.
    Trek Stache 7
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Looks like you want the Aeffect crank with the XCF100 spindle since you verified clearance. This is just like my fat bike setup where I run the narrower Turbine Cinch crank(RF169 spindle) designed for the 170-77mm hub width frames on my 197mm hub width frame with the chain ring flipped for a good chain line.
    This is what I finally bought, together with a race face chainring to flip if necessary. I Will post the results when I get them

Enviado desde mi GT-I9506 mediante Tapatalk