mtbr member
    Oct 2012

crank/chainring reviews

I'd like a poll of what cranks and chainrings some of you use, and what you like about them. I am looking for a 2, or 3 x 10 chainset for a 100mm BB, but if yours is not compatible, I'd like to hear about it anyways.

mtbr member
    I have the FSA Afterburner crank from Fatback. 100mm megaexo bottom bracket.

Specs:

100mm BB Shell.
    Bearings use special low-temperature grease.
    2.5 mm wider chanline compared to similar 100mm cranksets gaining aditional chain-tire clearance.
    22T, 32T, Bashguard.
    Available in 170mm and 175mm crank arm lengths.
    ~930 gram

I have added a third chainring and discarded the bash guard as I was running out of gears. It's a great crankset and I have had no issues so far. Well made and looks great. I was recommended this crank over the E13 as its outboard more and cheaper.

PRETENDURO
    Raceface Atlas (anodized obnoxious orange)
    This set so far has lasted two fatbikes—1,410 miles on my Pugsley, and now more than 2,300 miles on my 9:zero:7—just under 4,000 miles of wear. I do a lot of technical riding on rocky/loose terrain, with a crapload of steep (>20% grade) climbing, as well as slogging through muddy/sloppy/mucky conditions. I replaced the bottom bracket bearings, though, as I started getting some grinding in the first set around 2,000 mile mark on the Team XC BB cups, so I replaced them with the Team DH BB cups and all is smooth so far, despite having been abused and frequent rides in pouring rain with bucketloads of mud. Absolutely NO play in the spindle, or anywhere within the setup. The bearing contact surfaces on the spindle showed no signs of wear when I replaced the BB cups, which is pretty interesting.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    ^ while my Atlas is new with minimal miles / use it was a breeze to install, remove again to adjust chain line and i can only hope to obtain the use /abuse Leopold has over time.

Fat & Single
    Middleburn fatbike cranks

I bought them UNO to run 1 x 10 but there are different spiders available. This is my 3rd set of Middleburns but first X-type. The cranks are awesome and will last forever, the BB will be the first thing to go for sure. I usually run SKF BB's and they are roller bearing (10yr guarantee) but the external hollowtech style is having signs of failure already.
    I have about 1000km on them so far.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had not heard of the SKF cartridge BB before. After looking at their design, I can see how they can make cartridge BB that will outlast, and outperform any external cup type. Roller bearings acting directly on the spindle on the drive side and ball bearings doing the same on the other side keep everything simple, yet can handle higher loads for longer, with no maintenance. Too bad they don't make a 100 mm shell version.
    Has anyone tried the Schlumpf 2 speed Crankset/BB for 100mm BB yet?
    How about using a hammersmidt with an FSA BB and a ISCG05 adapter?
    since it is an overdrive, it should try and tighten the BB, not loosen it, right?

Anchorage, AK
    Shimano; FC-M410 22/32/42T Square Taper about $40. Works with my Phil Wood 100mm bb with a 155mm spindle and a 5mm offset. Plenty of room for a 4.0 tire on a clown shoe with a full 9 speed cassette in the back. So far, 1,700 trouble-free miles. The bb was about $200 but since it takes square bracket cranks, the crank was dirt cheep.

--Lars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crank/chainring reviews-uploadfromtaptalk1355089532687.jpg  

crank/chainring reviews-uploadfromtaptalk1355089669188.jpg  

crank/chainring reviews-uploadfromtaptalk1355089757567.jpg  

Last edited by Lars_D; 12-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have some El Cheapo Bontrager 175mm ISIS cranks (22/32/42) that I got from ebay for like $18 or something like that (they are pretty high end but the guy did not do his homework so nobody bid on them), plus I already had the BB from my Nicolai downhill bike so it was a no brainier..

At first I view them as a temporary until I find the race face cranks of my dreams, but sincerely after riding them I can not see the need to upgrade..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wow nice bike man..can you still do tricks on a fat bike? Looks really cool. I am using an old Funn Hooka MX. It has an ISIS BB and skull design finish. It's suppose to be for BMX it says but it fits my frame well and has held up for like 6 months now eventhough i weigh around 200 lbs. Used on my bike as a cheap alternative for a 1X9 drivetrain build. I've done a little DJ and all mountain in the quarries near here. Bought it for roughly $20. I know it's kind of expensive for an old part but in my country (Philippines) bike parts are so damn expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a profile racing crank with outboard bearing BB and 190mm arms with a 28 tooth chainring.
    It weighs a ton, but has long crank arms and is tough. I wanted to run somewhere between 26 and 28 teeth on the chainring and have at least 185mm cranks so this was the only choice I could find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    I have a profile racing crank with outboard bearing BB and 190mm arms with a 28 tooth chainring.
    It weighs a ton, but has long crank arms and is tough. I wanted to run somewhere between 26 and 28 teeth on the chainring and have at least 185mm cranks so this was the only choice I could find.
    wow, are you running single speed, or just have really long legs?

Question to all? how have 8 or 9speed rings worked on 10speed chain if applicable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am running 1x(7of9) and I am really long in the legs.

mtbr member
    Specialized Strong Arm cranks with a Phil BB. Running 1x9 with a 32t Mono Veloce and Paul Keeper. Crank and BB were gently used. About $200 altogether for the setup.