Poll: Have you cracked a frame?

Thread: Cracked frames

mtbr member

New question here. Cracked frames

How common is this? I dont do anything extreme, just off road trail riding. No jumping.

When I was buying a bike the bike mechanic was pretty adamant about frame warranty's. He said some manufactures warranty them and others dont. I cant remember which ones he was steering me towards.

Just curious what your experience is with this?

All fat, all the time.
    I've only cracked one, trek liquid 20 chain stay that was ridden for 6 years.
    Trek replaced the frame with a 2010 fuel ex9.

mtbr member
    Can you expand on how you cracked it? What kind of rider are you?
    Surley Moonlander
    Revelate Designs Custom In frame pack
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

All fat, all the time.
    160 lbs, no jumps or drops, generally smooth rider. Cracked just in front of the rear qr. Fatigue was my best guess.

At the time, trek had a lifetime warranty on frames, and they stood behind it. Had a new frame in just over a week.

mtbr member
    Thanks. To be honest this kinda concerns me. I could see frames cracking if a guy abuses the bike but cracking on a frame that is used normally is odd.
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've cracked a couple of different model dual-suspension Haro frames but that was down to their poor design (seat tube angle). Couldn't get the second one replaced because they stopped making dual-suspension frames at that point...

It got replaced by my LBS with a GT and I haven't had any problems with that (in the 3 years i've owned it so far). Most brands i've seen have a 5 year warranty, some brands like Cannondale have a lifetime warranty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, I cracked one at the seat tube/TT junction, but it was at least partially my fault for riding a frame that was probably too small for me. Noticed when I started a ride. Now I understand that "minimum seatpost insertion" doesn't mean a thing, because a bigger lever will always break a frame, so just because you have more than the "min" is no guarantee. Luckily, turner is an outstanding company and upgraded me to a new large front triangle and rockers for free. Outstanding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Dave is that way! He runs an honest and respectable operation. The other nice thing is they are still offering the Turner trade in program. $600 smackers for your old Turner frame toward your new one. I've been riding Turners since '96...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The Surly Pugsleys, the white ones, some of those frames cracked. That was a manufacturers defect and they replace them.

Cracking a frame depends a lot on the material, the size and strength of the tubing, and what enviromental exposures the bikes been through---like salt from riding on a beach.

mtbr member
    Everything I own will crack eventually. I ride them hard though. Just look for something with a decent warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You wanna know how I knew OP was 2015 before I opened the thread?

Don't worry about cracking a frame. Buy a decent bike, and ride the sh!t out of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had 11 bikes since I my 1st 20" BMX in 1984. I have or have access to 8 of them, and they are all still working just fine. I ride them the way they were intended. None have cracked.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    How?
    If you don't want to post it you can PM me. Don't hold back, say it. I'll surely disguise your name when I re-post it here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone who has been riding for a decent amount of time and actually gets off the paved bike path has probably broken a frame. Like shonda said, buy a decent bike and ride it as hard as you can, whatever happens, happens. Even manufacturer's who won't give you a replacement probably have a crash replacement you can take advantage of. Think of a cracked frame as a badge of honor.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Litespeedaddict's a bike killer!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My guess is, most everyone on this forum is a bike killer. If you're weird enough to ride fat bikes, and love doing it, most likely the synapses aren't firing in the correct order in your brain. Which in turns leads to some pretty low percentage decisions in your head as soon as you throw a leg over one of these machines, like "Yeah, I can make that" Throw in a little alcohol, and BAM, busted frame(s). I've only recently begun riding again after a REALLY long lay off due to some physical issues, and am working on my next broken frame now. Can't wait.

mtbr member

Don't worry about cracking a frame. Buy a decent bike, and ride the sh!t out of it.
    Everyone's gotta start at some point. I bet you had similar questions back in 2011.
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    I looked at the Surley warranty and its 3 years from the purchase date. Only good to the original owner, so i'm SOL there...
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

Rocking on a Rocky
    3 two Mountain one fat.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I broke a locally made custom steel and just recently broke a Borealis Echo. I'm 160 and ride pretty mellow flowy dirt most of the time in Montana. Both times I was surprised and disappointed. I ride fast but my wheels rarely leave the ground and the trails I ride are pretty smooth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    Thanks. To be honest this kinda concerns me. I could see frames cracking if a guy abuses the bike but cracking on a frame that is used normally is odd.
    Don't overthink this issue or get all the dither about it. A poll and accompanying stories are not going to get you anywhere. Sometimes frames crack and it doesn't always make sense - there are a lot of factors involved. The lifetime warranty goes a long ways, that means no worries on your part. It's also the reason why sometimes a used bike isn't necessarily the best deal in the world since the warranty doesn't carry over.

I worked in a shop for quite some time and saw bikes come in for warranty often enough. My best advice is stick with a brand that either has a lifetime warranty or at least a cash replacement policy that you can live with and don't spin mentally over the possibility of failure - just ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Been doing this mtb thing since around 98. Never broken any frames. Generally smooth rider, but I've done my share of stupid stuff and had some bad landings and whatnot.

When I bought my Specialized, it was when Specialized offered a lifetime warranty, also. At the time, that was important to me. Nowadays, I'm a lot less concerned with that.

Loser
    I think we (I include myself) read "warranty" and think "guarantee" i.e.: we get a free replacement frame if it breaks during that period. From my experience, this is exactly what happens, so it's all good.

However, I think every material will fail if ridden hard and long enough, I've broken probably 50% of the bikes I've owned over the last 25 years.

I got a new frame from Niner 2 years and 3 months after I bought the bike (warranty was for 2 years). I believe that the failure was due to use, not manufacturing defect. Now the fact that Niner didn't have a replacement part is poor planning and to think my $2700 bike was useless because a part wore out is ridiculous, so getting a new frame was the right thing there.

Generally speaking bike warranties are handled to the consumers advantage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFATBIKER View Post
    Everyone's gotta start at some point. I bet you had similar questions back in 2011.
    It wasn't meant to be an insult. I think a lot of us that got into the more serious off road riding had similar feelings at the beginning, but after a few rides the fear went away...replaced by a big fat SMILE!!

Hell, I was soo fat (still fat...just not AS fat) and such a hack at the beginning (still a hack, just not AS much of a hack), that I pretty much expected to break something (on my bike) each ride. But I can't say I didn't enjoy research, and finding good parts.

It doesn't take much for me to justify a new part, and honestly that is part of the overall experience for me. Modifying bikes is a lot less expensive, and a hell of a lot more rewarding than modding cars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cracked frames-stang.jpgFunny you'd mention modding cars shonda...Last year I bought a sweet 67 Stang for a bargain, as it wasn't running right, clutch was frozen, brakes rusted together in the back. It had been in storage forever, and had some issues. I stole the car (moneywise), got it home and fixed it up, had to put $3500 in it right off the bat, still had way less in it than what it was worth, but it still needed another 6K or so to get it to where it would be a daily dependable driver (not that I would have driven it daily, but you get the point)....But I was also just getting over some injuries and surgeries and almost ready to start riding again and had my heart set on a new fat steed, with Hed's, for about $7K. I couldn't afford to keep the Stang and buy the new bike. It was a pretty easy decision for me in the end, I sold the Stang, and bought the bike. Even though I have made my living with cars my whole life, I don't love 'em like I love bikes.

Trek/GF went through a period where I swear everyone was busting frames. I think they've got it under control now. They also have one of the best warranties.

If you're worried about cracking a frame, stay away from internet based companies (such as BD). If you have issues, you are responsible for mailing the frame/bike back. Not cheap and would eat right through your "savings" from buying online.

Go to your local shop and buy a decent bike.

mtbr member
    I'm working hard to crack a 6yr old SC Nomad. Partially because I am hoping they'll give me a fancy new carbon frame if they don't have stock of the model I'm riding. And partially because I can probably justify a new bike purchase if I don't have that bike in the fleet.

So far it just keeps on going and going and going!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    I broke a locally made custom steel and just recently broke a Borealis Echo. I'm 160 and ride pretty mellow flowy dirt most of the time in Montana. Both times I was surprised and disappointed. I ride fast but my wheels rarely leave the ground and the trails I ride are pretty smooth.
    Follow up...just found out that Borealis is going to replace the Echo frame that broke. Bought it last September. Took over 3 weeks to find out if they would replace it, which is really not bad, but the LBS is terrible at communicating so it's been an unpleasant experience. I'm happy that it got replaced and think that the crack was a fluke. Love the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I haven't cracked any frames on any of my bikes although I ride them regularly, I'm not a fast downhill rider.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    It wasn't meant to be an insult. I think a lot of us that got into the more serious off road riding had similar feelings at the beginning, but after a few rides the fear went away...replaced by a big fat SMILE!!

Hell, I was soo fat (still fat...just not AS fat) and such a hack at the beginning (still a hack, just not AS much of a hack), that I pretty much expected to break something (on my bike) each ride. But I can't say I didn't enjoy research, and finding good parts.

It doesn't take much for me to justify a new part, and honestly that is part of the overall experience for me. Modifying bikes is a lot less expensive, and a hell of a lot more rewarding than modding cars.
    Its all good
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Broke a motobacon head tube, 6061 aluminum. The seven year warranty covered it, got the new frame then sold it. Al is way too stiff. On the other hand, I've never broken a steel frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stang.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	993353Funny you'd mention modding cars shonda...Last year I bought a sweet 67 Stang for a bargain, as it wasn't running right, clutch was frozen, brakes rusted together in the back. It had been in storage forever, and had some issues. I stole the car (moneywise), got it home and fixed it up, had to put $3500 in it right off the bat, still had way less in it than what it was worth, but it still needed another 6K or so to get it to where it would be a daily dependable driver (not that I would have driven it daily, but you get the point)....But I was also just getting over some injuries and surgeries and almost ready to start riding again and had my heart set on a new fat steed, with Hed's, for about $7K. I couldn't afford to keep the Stang and buy the new bike. It was a pretty easy decision for me in the end, I sold the Stang, and bought the bike. Even though I have made my living with cars my whole life, I don't love 'em like I love bikes.
    Cool Mustang!.. Don't know anything about it but I somehow just love these old Stang.. I bet you made a killing return.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks, it was cool, loved driving it. 351 Cleveland, top load 4 speed, 9'' rear with 4:10 gears. It was a freaking riot, and all my kids always wanted to go with me even if it was just a trip to the store for a gallon of milk. I drove it like I stole it, & had a blast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I broke a Soma Double Cross right where the chainstay went into the dropout. The dropout tab broke off where it was brazed into the chainstay. It is the only frame I have ever broke and it was about 10 years old at the time. I rode it a lot and offroad quite a bit as well.
    It's all good!

banned
    Sep 2008
    broke an independent fabrication ti frame and a scott spark carbon full suss frame. steel and alu remain unstoppable.

mtbr member
    Do you guys have a welder repair the crack?
    Surley Moonlander
    Front/Rear Mud Flaps

mtbr member
    I've broken 2 frames. The first was a ~4 year old AC Giant. Like many of these frames the chain stay snapped. It was replaced by Giant and I'm still riding it hoping it will snap again so I can get a more modern frame.

The other was an 18 year old local Australian steel framed road bike. The seat stay snapped where it joined the seat tube. It had 26" wheels and Malvern Star, the manufacturer, no produced 26" frames so replaced it one for 700C wheels and provided all of the components needed to get an operating bike. The only things that were carried over from the old bike were the saddle and the brakes. I'd asked them to cover just the cost of repairing the frame but they preferred to replace it.

Lifetime warranties are wonderful.

Tim

Professional Crastinator
    I was thinking that since this is in the Fatbike forum you might be asking about fatbikes specifically, but there isn't quite that much history there to discover any trends.

Since 1993...
    2 Univegas (downtube, seattube)
    1 Specialized StumpJumper (DS chainstay)
    1 Niner MCR9 (rear dropout)
    1 Canfield Nimble 9 (headtube/downtube)

I think all of them were mfr. defects more than my bad azz riding. Niner was the only one that screwed me on warranty, though; it's 2 yrs., and not a day more.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I think all of them were mfr. defects more than my bad azz riding. Niner was the only one that screwed me on warranty, though; it's 2 yrs., and not a day more.

-F
    Wow, that sucks. For some reason, they're probably the only boutique company that I am starting to dislike more and more.